Photo

Font help

6 replies to this topic
TPenterprise
  • TPenterprise

***Leader - WMCC *** ***Lieutenant - SURF***

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:54 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 15 July 2014 - 02:39 PM.

Does anyone know what font is used in the Western logo?

Is it also possible in Photoshop to contrain text to 2 paths like the "WESTERN" below - there is a curve at both the bottom and top of the text, but I can only constrain it to one path in Photoshop.

EDIT: I used the pen tool to make a path for the bottom text curve, then I used "warp text" to make an upper arc, is this the best way to do it?

0_0.jpg

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

I know it's very heavily based on the Harley Davidson logo, which is explained here:

its Ariel. but bold and a bit stretched lengthwise.. 

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:54 PM Edited by GunWrath, 16 July 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Just use the text tool 3ba9ed672504093321de79393a4f6b99.png (you'll see it at the top in the tool bar) and you can 'squeeze' it to give it the curve on top and bottom or just use the inflate option.. play around with it till you get it how you wish and I'm not sure what the font is.

TPenterprise
  • TPenterprise

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Just use the text tool 3ba9ed672504093321de79393a4f6b99.png (you'll see it at the top in the tool bar) and you can 'squeeze' it to give it the curve on top and bottom or just use the inflate option.. play around with it till you get it how you wish and I'm not sure what the font is.

western_logo_emblem.png

I found the way I described in the OP worked best, by first making a curved path for the text, then "warping" the text with an upper arc. Would be much easier if you could apply multiple warps to text, but for some reason you can't.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:35 PM Edited by Slave Boy, 16 July 2014 - 08:58 PM.

That text in the tank looks seemingly thinner in the middle than the ends. It also looks to me that You should warp it to both vertical directions, up and down.

If You really want to do this with PS which sucks to be honest, rasterize the the type and use custom warp. Drag these 4 nods very carefully, just a little bit towards the center.

More vertically than horizontally. And make it in larger size than Your supposed final will be. Warping blurs the edges, it will look slightly better after scaling down.

But if You want it to look perfect, You should use envelope effect in a vector editor and export from there to png for any additional editing in PS.

w6glkn0.jpg

Envelope

WK7BO0q.jpg

TPenterprise
  • TPenterprise

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

That text in the tank looks seemingly thinner in the middle than the ends. It also looks to me that You should warp it to both vertical directions, up and down.

If You really want to do this with PS which sucks to be honest, rasterize the the type and use custom warp. Drag these 4 nods very carefully, just a little bit towards the center.

More vertically than horizontally. And make it in larger size than Your supposed final will be. Warping blurs the edges, it will look slightly better after scaling down.

But if You want it to look perfect, You should use envelope effect in a vector editor and export from there to png for any additional editing in PS.

So make the text in something like Illustrator then bring it into PS? Thanks for the tip that's exactly what I was looking for, too bad you have to Rasterize the layer though, I'll give it a try though

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

You don´t necessarily need to rasterize, by doing the whole logo in vector editor. That´s how I would do it, if You´re keeping the logo simple.

If You want to make it like in the original image, a metal plate on a gas tank then You might consider using PS for all that special FX.

But what You want to achieve is completely doable with Inkscape. If You own commercial software, even easier. I have CorelDraw, but I mainly use Inkscape for my vector needs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users