Quantcast

» «
Photo

Another pointless "GTA in the future" topic? Not exactly.

24 replies to this topic
evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:34 AM Edited by evd, 15 July 2014 - 12:47 AM.

Hi everyone.

I hope the title of this thread intrigued you to come over. Some of you probably are thinking "god not this sh*t again", and some of you probably would like to be heard out and share the idea of a concept of GTA-like futuristic game. This topic is adressed to both of those groups. 

I've read bunch of topics which are simply about desire to have a futuristic Grand Theft Auto. In all of those topics people are usually misunderstanding each other.

Usually the argument to NOT having near-future based GTA is a state to play other games, because there is a lot of them, and there is no need to make scifi GTA. For me this argument is the most arrogant and selfish which one can give. Why? because of the same reason that you want to have GTA as you like and not playing other open-world games - because its made by Rockstar.

Rockstar in my reckon is a comapny of well balanced team of people, which vision is very solid and ambitious in a matter of art. They always are looking deeper with their games, making people think about actual world's condition. Also they're very rigorous and always progressive with their work. Those two facts are the most characteristic values of their games. If I want to play good game I play GTA. not Watch_Dogs (subjective opinion!). Dont tell me what to do. If you dont like this concept, and dont want to support it, do it in friendly way. If the game be available, you still have the option not to play it. Is this a hard thing to you? 

Second thing that people are usually undermine is the quality of the story and boredom of cyberpunk game. I dont know how many great cyberpunk games have you been playing in, but I am unsatisfied still. All those game always lacked in pure cyberpunk atmosphere. Even Deus Ex : Human Revolution was too sterile and everything seemed to be plastic and empty inside. I know that there is overload of science fiction in gaming industry but there is still place for a pure diamonds. Rockstar is capable to deliver one I believe.

People are usually mistaking near future (which is usually a cyberpunk genre) with far future. I hope that you can see a difference between these two time sets. Near future have place for prototypical vehicles and weapons, which are still based on present inventions. Mostly with vehicles its about designs, not functionality, although I can see a super fast hoverjet stylized on one of those crafts from WipeOut as some sort of unlockable bonus for 100% stats.

For those who are not in cyberpunk style too much, its generally based on contrasting filth with high end technology, and showing violence in a very gore and realistic way.

Asking for such GTA is the same thing as asking for 80's or 70's. But this dont need to be called GTA. So you should be honourable and dont ask for the same (especially when there was already 80's GTA game). Lets tolerate eachother.  Rockstar holds a golden recipe, for all kinds of open world games, and none of reasonable ideas should be tormented by devided community. No one know what the future will bring. We can only hope for the best and as much as we want.

Believe that this style is limitless with messages, social aspects and its deviations. its also very adult with graphic and music. It can be easly writed as technothriller, with a badass noir style.

Its also saturated with psychedelic and metaphysical meanings, which can be true background flesh for high art.

Ghost in the Shell is a good example of capability of cyberpunk. It is also a sad that this brilliant form was born already at its best in 80's and never come back.

The material for a story and the style is huge. It shouldnt be so underestimated.

The date of this game its not important. its a vision of world, in great books of William Gibson there are no appointed dates. its just a near future. Also games are meant to be enjoyable and only played. The dates areunnnecessary. Games from Hideo Kojima who is a visionary are not perfect reflection of our world. Even if its past, like Snake Eater and Cold War time, there is advanced technology. Because, again, its not to be considered as a perfect reflection of history. And 91% on Metacritics for such old game is a proof, that there is some space for creativity and imagination.

If this doesnt seems to be reasonable for you guys, im loosing hope in people. Whats the point of arguing if some game should be done or not. its like to argue wether to breed more better and diverse food.

Also if this topic deserve to be followed by a someone from moderation crew, please keep this place free from hate and arrogancy.

for those heads that are in for cyberpunk rockstar game I would like to start this idea-driven topic once again, while trying to keep conversations and ideas it on a high level. 

Lets start with simple things like cars, weapons, people. Or just make your state on how much rpg could this game be (do you want implants, gainable skills, experience, or nothing besides V skillssystem)?

It would be awesome if you use a lot reference pictures. this could help to get your idea very fast and inspire.

I'll write more of my bigger ideas if this topic get appreciation. It took my a bit of time to write this wall of text so please be easygoing ;) Just let me know if you like this idea and we will start.

Cheers!

tl:dr - no. read it, or go away.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:22 AM

I wouldn't be too big into a GTA game set in the future. For one, if the game were to take place in, say, 2017, and show off all these crazy technologies, then where will those technologies be after 2017 in real life? That's always the case with watching things that take place in the past that depict the future and it goes horribly wrong, like the Soviets having their own spaceship in Star Trek for example. Another would have to be the fact on what there would be to parody. Seeing as GTA is turning more and more into a social commentary, what is there to poke jokes at culturally if there isn't anything known about the future yet other than technology playing a crazy big role? 

• Wavesittich likes this

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:18 PM Edited by evd, 15 July 2014 - 01:19 PM.

Keep in mind that original cyberpunk was born in 1980, so its was about 30-40 years into future. Although you can see how much does the world changed since 80's, so its not quite fictional. For me its not a problem to set the story in 2020 with deadly implants, although it wouldnt be if it was 2040. Or just no date. Cyberpunk is a pessimistic vision. and quite realistic.

As for the second question- there are few aspects that are as big as technology in future, for example drugs, transgender, and gangs. Those are a few. If you look at the RDR's criticism, its was not that overloaded as GTA V. And Im okay with that. Oh and by the way, do we need a "funny" game, or a game for adults? Seriously, I think R* went to far with fu*cking a chimp and would like to have more subtle and refined black humour.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

GTA 2 had some weird settings, future with cars from 50s. It was 2D so it didn't matter but if it was 3D that would look stupid (at least for a GTA game). I wouldn't play something like that, but it's only because I hate cyberpunks, "future" and things like that :)

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

GTA 2 had some weird settings, future with cars from 50s. It was 2D so it didn't matter but if it was 3D that would look stupid (at least for a GTA game). I wouldn't play something like that, but it's only because I hate cyberpunks, "future" and things like that :)

Don't forget about the Jefferson, this car was more than 100 years old in GTA2!

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:59 PM Edited by Blennerville, 15 July 2014 - 04:01 PM.

Hi everyone.

I hope the title of this thread intrigued you to come over. Some of you probably are thinking "god not this sh*t again", and some of you probably would like to be heard out and share the idea of a concept of GTA-like futuristic game. This topic is adressed to both of those groups. 

I've read bunch of topics which are simply about desire to have a futuristic Grand Theft Auto. In all of those topics people are usually misunderstanding each other.

Usually the argument to NOT having near-future based GTA is a state to play other games, because there is a lot of them, and there is no need to make scifi GTA. For me this argument is the most arrogant and selfish which one can give. Why? because of the same reason that you want to have GTA as you like and not playing other open-world games - because its made by Rockstar.

Rockstar in my reckon is a comapny of well balanced team of people, which vision is very solid and ambitious in a matter of art. They always are looking deeper with their games, making people think about actual world's condition. Also they're very rigorous and always progressive with their work. Those two facts are the most characteristic values of their games. If I want to play good game I play GTA. not Watch_Dogs (subjective opinion!). Dont tell me what to do. If you dont like this concept, and dont want to support it, do it in friendly way. If the game be available, you still have the option not to play it. Is this a hard thing to you? 

Second thing that people are usually undermine is the quality of the story and boredom of cyberpunk game. I dont know how many great cyberpunk games have you been playing in, but I am unsatisfied still. All those game always lacked in pure cyberpunk atmosphere. Even Deus Ex : Human Revolution was too sterile and everything seemed to be plastic and empty inside. I know that there is overload of science fiction in gaming industry but there is still place for a pure diamonds. Rockstar is capable to deliver one I believe.

People are usually mistaking near future (which is usually a cyberpunk genre) with far future. I hope that you can see a difference between these two time sets. Near future have place for prototypical vehicles and weapons, which are still based on present inventions. Mostly with vehicles its about designs, not functionality, although I can see a super fast hoverjet stylized on one of those crafts from WipeOut as some sort of unlockable bonus for 100% stats.
For those who are not in cyberpunk style too much, its generally based on contrasting filth with high end technology, and showing violence in a very gore and realistic way.

Asking for such GTA is the same thing as asking for 80's or 70's. But this dont need to be called GTA. So you should be honourable and dont ask for the same (especially when there was already 80's GTA game). Lets tolerate eachother.  Rockstar holds a golden recipe, for all kinds of open world games, and none of reasonable ideas should be tormented by devided community. No one know what the future will bring. We can only hope for the best and as much as we want.

Believe that this style is limitless with messages, social aspects and its deviations. its also very adult with graphic and music. It can be easly writed as technothriller, with a badass noir style.

Its also saturated with psychedelic and metaphysical meanings, which can be true background flesh for high art.

Ghost in the Shell is a good example of capability of cyberpunk. It is also a sad that this brilliant form was born already at its best in 80's and never come back.
The material for a story and the style is huge. It shouldnt be so underestimated.

The date of this game its not important. its a vision of world, in great books of William Gibson there are no appointed dates. its just a near future. Also games are meant to be enjoyable and only played. The dates areunnnecessary. Games from Hideo Kojima who is a visionary are not perfect reflection of our world. Even if its past, like Snake Eater and Cold War time, there is advanced technology. Because, again, its not to be considered as a perfect reflection of history. And 91% on Metacritics for such old game is a proof, that there is some space for creativity and imagination.

If this doesnt seems to be reasonable for you guys, im loosing hope in people. Whats the point of arguing if some game should be done or not. its like to argue wether to breed more better and diverse food.

Also if this topic deserve to be followed by a someone from moderation crew, please keep this place free from hate and arrogancy.

for those heads that are in for cyberpunk rockstar game I would like to start this idea-driven topic once again, while trying to keep conversations and ideas it on a high level. 
Lets start with simple things like cars, weapons, people. Or just make your state on how much rpg could this game be (do you want implants, gainable skills, experience, or nothing besides V skillssystem)?

It would be awesome if you use a lot reference pictures. this could help to get your idea very fast and inspire.
I'll write more of my bigger ideas if this topic get appreciation. It took my a bit of time to write this wall of text so please be easygoing ;) Just let me know if you like this idea and we will start.

Cheers!

tl:dr - no. read it, or go away.

tl;dr
http://weknowgifs.co...d-lol-gif-2.gif

what Universetwisters said.
  • universetwisters likes this

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:02 PM Edited by evd, 15 July 2014 - 11:46 PM.

Actually cp is a type of genre where things are really diversed. I love how Wachowscy have put the most important scene in old town house with XIXs century furnitures.

morpheus_meets.jpg

there are many references to classic or even ancient culture. Therefore you can often see some objects like samurai/knight armors, old churches or revolvers in cp, so I dont see why is this weird? everything has its explanation and purpose, thats why its so brilliant for most people. Simply putting, it wouldnt be so popular over 30+ years if it was dumb and weird. and had no meaning. ;)

edit: definetely watch this. be aware- its scary

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

GTA games rely heavily on the parody of real world and social commentary to provide the feeling of the setting of their games being a ''real'' place with character to it (unlike some open world games whose worlds simply lack any for of character to it). A game set in future would have a lot of difficulties making that as good as current GTAs. And even current GTAs are worse in that regard compared to GTAs set in eras already past, because it's the easiest thing to do, mock a certain period from a distant point in time. That's why VC and SA could do such a good representation of their time periods, while III, IV and V don't really stand out, even though their setting is well executed too. So a future setting would only work if they would make a setting based on what we currently think the future will look like, and also a good social commentary on how the technology has changed life, yet people have basically stayed the same. But overall, it's simply not something that would work as good as current GTA settings do.

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:05 AM Edited by evd, 16 July 2014 - 11:18 AM.

you are going to far with that. I didnt said it has to be GTA. Its about Rockstar's style and execution. It could be something less parody, like L.A. Noire. Rockstar's games have souls and its all about it :) and they're usually different in terms of style than others games. I love how Red Dead Redemption was so Lovecraft-ish in graphic way. 

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:44 AM Edited by Luddite, 16 July 2014 - 11:48 AM.

So a sci-fi 3rd-person, open-world R* game maybe?

I could support that concept.

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:53 AM Edited by evd, 16 July 2014 - 12:09 PM.

yes mate. I know that the first post can be misleading but its all about to convince people that future stuff can be cool and funny too and it can easly be another GTA, but im not pushing.

I would go for a thing that Quantic Dream did with Fahrenheit- multiple characters, a bad guy story and detective story. 

also futurism is a huge field for beatiful soundtrack:

Spoiler

;)

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with a cyber punk game by Rockstar, just not under the GTA IP. I could imagine something along the lines of a reimagining of GTA 2, but more so involved with the technological side of things.

My ideal plot would be a guy (an NSA Agent, former soldier, something along those lines) whose been cryogenically frozen and is awoken in a society where everybody is forced to be microchiped at birth. These chips are pretty much your entire life, with bank details, a tracking system, your identification, etc. The protagonist is awoken by a group of people living outside the system and is recruited by them to help bring down their corrupt government and can do it best because he's un-chipped and has the physical skills to do it.

Or to anybody who remembers the game Body Harvest by DMA, Rockstar could always reboot it since they should still have the rights. Have multiple time periods, (1800's, 1910's, 1950's, the present and distant future) with maps situated all around the world, and certain stories associated with each one. For anybody who hasn't played Body Harvest this paragraph is probably just a "what the f*ck is he talking about?" to you.

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

How about a "Blade Runner" type cities and outlands maybe like "Dune" and a Han Solo meets Zaphod Beeblebrox protag with the option to play honorably or not?

I'd buy that game.

..or a medievel peasant to squire to knight game. Want that from R* bad!

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:35 PM Edited by evd, 16 July 2014 - 12:49 PM.

Definetely the Blader Runner type of city, crowdy as hell, but , the most important thing, dirty. many cyberpunk games are stylized to be very clean (mirrors edge, deus ex, syndicate). Instead it should be very messy (think of every overpopulated city and if its washed up), with A LOT of graffities, trashy alleys, ruined blocks in suburbs. and of course neonish downtown. As for outbacks, it can be wastelands with abandoned facilities, rusty gas stations and ruined motels.

When it would come to the plot I think the very exploited cliche of a soldier type of guy would be as far good as he was some kind of assassin working for a huge corporation with bad reputation. (something between Armacham, Umbrella, working undercoverl on armament, bio-organic and bio-mechanic stuff and drugs like Prozium from Equilibrium movie with very bad side effects). Theguy would unquestionable do his work till the day he discovers where is it going, and that something isnt right with the whole reality. 

Medievil game? why not, but sepparately ;)

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

One of the things George Lucas said to his designers on Star Wars, "I want a used universe."

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

what do you mean by that?

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

I was referring to your emphasis on "dirty". Too often the future is StarTrek spotless.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

As for the second question- there are few aspects that are as big as technology in future, for example drugs, transgender, and gangs. Those are a few. If you look at the RDR's criticism, its was not that overloaded as GTA V. And Im okay with that. Oh and by the way, do we need a "funny" game, or a game for adults? Seriously, I think R* went to far with fu*cking a chimp and would like to have more subtle and refined black humour.

Sadly, I don't see Rockstar going back to making GTA serious anytime in the future. That given, would future drugs, transgenders, and gangs be that worthy of a game? "Help me, I'm being mugged by a gang of transgenders who deal liquid cocaine!"

GTA that far into the future seems like a gimmick to me. Not only that, but do we have to play "follow the leader" with all the other games that are taking place in the future?

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:02 PM Edited by evd, 16 July 2014 - 11:16 PM.

Sadly, I don't see Rockstar going back to making GTA serious anytime in the future. That given, would future drugs, transgenders, and gangs be that worthy of a game? "Help me, I'm being mugged by a gang of transgenders who deal liquid cocaine!"

GTA that far into the future seems like a gimmick to me. Not only that, but do we have to play "follow the leader" with all the other games that are taking place in the future?

1. sure it would, why not? is there any good game from >2000 with such features and with great plot? I didnt said it should be based only on this, those are only examples of typical social aspects of cyberpunk.

I would rather like to have this game a nice thriller-ish atmosphere, maybe even with some horror elements. If such have been realased, would you be mad or something? Dude, let have everyone else their own point of view. Anybody said thats yours is the best? :)

2. far? who said its about far future? not me.

They dont need do it now, joining the bandwagon, but someday, where the trends will change, it would be nice to have great quasi-oldschool game. And  I'll point something again: I want Rockstar's finest execution and style. Their taste in refreneces to the popculture like books and movies, easter eggs, dialogues and so on.

Im waiting ofcourse for Cyberpunk2077 too, but that wont be the same. 

I was referring to your emphasis on "dirty". Too often the future is StarTrek spotless.

oh I see, I thought that he wanted to recycle some exisiting universe ;D

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

1. sure it would, why not? is there any good game from >2000 with such features and with great plot? I didnt said it should be based only on this, those are only examples of typical social aspects of cyberpunk.

I would rather like to have this game a nice thriller-ish atmosphere, maybe even with some horror elements. If such have been realased, would you be mad or something? Dude, let have everyone else their own point of view. Anybody said thats yours is the best? :)

2. far? who said its about far future? not me.

They dont need do it now, joining the bandwagon, but someday, where the trends will change, it would be nice to have great quasi-oldschool game. And  I'll point something again: I want Rockstar's finest execution and style. Their taste in refreneces to the popculture like books and movies, easter eggs, dialogues and so on.

I wouldn't be mad, I just don't see how it would work or be passable. Like I said in the second point and you addressed, it would feel like a gimmick Rockstar is trying to pull to "hop aboard the bandwagon". Now if it were a spinoff or some other title like Niko Vercetti mentioned above, it could work, but I don't see GTA in a cyberpunk setting. Maybe when the world starts turning cyberpunk or steampunk or whatever and Rockstar decides that needs parodying, that'd be groovy, but until then, let's try to keep GTA grounded on earth and away from the hypothetical future settings

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:52 AM Edited by evd, 17 July 2014 - 01:10 AM.

Mate, Im not pushing, if noone feels it would work, ok, no problem, I am ok with another IP ;)

Everything was mine subjectively opinion, I understand that somebody can disagree. Afterall I agree with your opinion. 

but

.. ;D ..

isnt the world getting cyberpunkish already? Since we have deadly unmanned drones, surgeonic implants, transgenderism, invigilating corporations, and oculus rift and sh*t, hasnt it already started? You know the answer, but that doesnt matter know ;)

Ok, so lets focus on developing the idea of cyberpunk IP. I think we could start with music that could be implemented in the game. I like the way how its done in V - having radio soundtrack, and an ambient music.

Any ideas for good artists who would provide the ambience and genres for the radio? Im very much in electronic music, and dont know any good rock bands that could fit the style. Do you know any forward thinking music? maybe some acidjazz or acidrock?

First of all I would like to have radio station focused around Metalheadz - the company responsible for making Drum and Bass popular in 90's. 

They developed quite raw and gritty style, usually oscilating around soulless future.

for example

Second one is the digital hardcore style radio, inspired by Alec's Empire vision of decayed and dystopian future, with heavy guitars and insane breaks.

Third - Psytrance and its subgenres- yes, definetely a top-match for cp.

Fourth - IDM/Ambient - a vastly genre that is for me so hard to pick something from because of its diversity you will never have a full picture of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61NVdQw0TDU

and some others worth mentioning artists: Harry Gregson Williams, Nathan Griggs, Board of Canda, Solar Fields, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Aphex Twin, Bong-Ra, Eiterherd, Skream, Ronin, Xanopticon, Venetian Snares, Skalpel, Trentmoller, Clark, Burial, Squarepusher, Luke Vibert, Moderat, Noisia, Parov Stelar.

Feel free to suggest anything that would suit in your opinion the idea ;)

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

Eh, f*ck it, I'll play along.

I'm good with Happy Hardcore from the '90s, if that counts.

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

If you want to be funny and ironic, stay away from this topic. thats not a good place for you.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

I don't see how it's being ironic or funny. You were talking about a radio station focused around Metalheadz, a Drum N Bass record label, and I was thinking that happy hardcore would fit, seeing as to a degree it's an offshoot of DnB. Unless you're looking for more "modern" music for your cyberpunk game, in which I would look up cyberpunk raves and take reference from the music they use there. Hardstyle, Gabber, etc.

But yeah, music would be important. Many musical styles are pretty important in GTA and I can't imagine what rap or rock or pop in the future would be like.

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:22 PM Edited by evd, 17 July 2014 - 04:25 PM.

this looks silly as f*ck!  :lol:

No.

as for other than electronic music- maybe it should be created from the scratch by talented and forward thinking artists and producers.

I reckon that a lot of present stuff is futuristic enough to fit the vision. and thats it. you dont must to predict how music will sound in 2030, when you have a lot of such music that is outrunning current trends. I dont see why there is no Justin Bieber in GTA V... or maybe... its just a great game that deserves something more refined. 

just a sample of what you get when you mix jazz with breaks and a lot of druuuugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users