Lack of space because of hardware.

23 replies to this topic
Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

So I was curious, if the PS3's RAM is like 256mn I think, and the PS4 has an 8GB RAM. So as we can see GTA V as of now looks great and we saw a tease of a trailer by good old R* but with this much RAM how much can they change? As we've seen there's nice grass, better draw distance, a good texture increase, denser population, however I was wondering if they could actually add more big or little things to the game because now the hardware can handle it, it wouldn't make sense for them not too add more little effects that makes GTA V the gem it is. Things I had in mind was the wind blowing dust around in the desert, cars being broken down on the side of the road, more random stuff everywhere.

Also I was wondering if it was possible to add PhysX to the game, I believe the PS4 can handle it so could the put it into the game this late? 

• Blood-Is-in-Diamond likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Thinks like grass and trees don't use much ram because of instancing. What really uses up the memory is lots of unique data. Low ram counts are responsible for the same car spawning problem that has plagued this series for over a decade. I sincerely hope Rockstar fixed this for the new version of V.
  • GroundZero, DIEXEL, Blood-Is-in-Diamond and 1 other like this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:25 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 14 July 2014 - 09:25 PM.

It's also only 5GB of usable RAM If I recall.

• poklane likes this

Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:11 PM Edited by Zackyoung1, 14 July 2014 - 11:23 PM.

Maybe for Xbox1 but im 95% sure the PS4 is 8GB of RAM, plus it has a secondary processor that would be awesome if it was used for a little backup power!

Watch Console Wars:PS4 Vs. XboxOne Processors to see the power.

• Blood-Is-in-Diamond likes this

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

They could probably add things such as more interiors (restaurants), food stands (hot dog stands), better car damage and animals to Online. Just a few things they could add.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:11 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 15 July 2014 - 12:16 AM.

Maybe for Xbox1 but im 95% sure the PS4 is 8GB of RAM

Nope.

http://www.eurogamer...software-memory

The PS4 has an OS and other features too. It would never be able to use all the 8GB of RAM for games.

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

I doubt they would add PhysX to the game because they are already using the Rage engine which has built in physics and the amazing euphoria which is pretty awesome if you ask me.

• Zackyoung1 likes this

Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yes, but PhysX is more of a particle engine which GTA V really needs

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

PhysX would be awesome don`t get me wrong I just think it was built from the ground up without it in mind.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

PS4 also uses 5 GB of RAM. Personally, I think they wasted 3 GB on an OS which doesn't need that much memory. They should have used 2 GB or 2.5 GB. I hope they can actually free up more space for developers which would be a big benefit.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

PS4 also uses 5 GB of RAM. Personally, I think they wasted 3 GB on an OS which doesn't need that much memory. They should have used 2 GB or 2.5 GB. I hope they can actually free up more space for developers which would be a big benefit.

Actually, they apparently use 3.5 GB for the OS, but give the developers some flexibility, so they can use more.

At least, that's what I got from skimming the article I posted above.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:02 PM Edited by Aleph-Zero, 15 July 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Don't be fooled by numbers. Playstation 3's DRAM XDR performs way better than Playstation 4's GDDR5, but it was only 256mb. Consoles are on a number war these days, quantity over quality.

http://img360.images.../sshot32de1.png

They could've gona with a small quantity of XDR2 RAM for PS4, but then they'd lose the numbers war.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

What's the point of having high performance ram if there's going to be so little of it? Plus what's the difference in price between GDDR5 and XDR2?

After the money pits that were the PS3 and the Xbox 360 they went with standard PC hardware to maximize profits.

deathion
  • deathion

The_Spaniard

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

Also I was wondering if it was possible to add PhysX to the game, I believe the PS4 can handle it so could the put it into the game this late? 

i doubt they will add PhysX to the game as it is for Nvidia hardware and both ps4 & Xbone both use AMD hardware.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

If they use the hardware to make the things that were in previous GTA titles, like restaurant and club interiors, that would be great. Some of these interiors already exist in certain missions but have been made inaccessible, probably to improve rendering. I would imagina the game would start having prpblems when you would be in the area around that interior. Idon't think restaurants will be included though. They would ask for the feature of eating to return, and I'm unsure whether R* will go as far as including completely new features into the next gen version.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

If they use the hardware to make the things that were in previous GTA titles, like restaurant and club interiors, that would be great. Some of these interiors already exist in certain missions but have been made inaccessible, probably to improve rendering. I would imagina the game would start having prpblems when you would be in the area around that interior. Idon't think restaurants will be included though. They would ask for the feature of eating to return, and I'm unsure whether R* will go as far as including completely new features into the next gen version.

If they want to give a reason to buy the new version, then yes they're gonna try to squeese new stuff in. Specially if they already have the assets.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:34 AM Edited by gtaxpert, 16 July 2014 - 06:34 AM.

If they want to give a reason to buy the new version, then yes they're gonna try to squeese new stuff in. Specially if they already have the assets.

Lets hope they do. We can't be sure until it actually happens though. It would be new for R* to make a port of a game with extensive extra features, but you are right that it could happen as a selling point. GTA V is such a tremendous cash-cow. Make people buy a game on a system that is almost out of date, make some of them even pay for special editions that have some insignificant extra content, then improve the game and add some extra content to it on next gen to make people buy it all over again.. It is nice GTA Online and all the DLC is still free. Which is probably to make GTA Online as accessible as possible. The popularity of GTA Online is important to the future of the franchise and that is why it and all its DLC is still free.

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:59 PM Edited by one55, 16 July 2014 - 02:01 PM.

I think the PS4 only has 5.5GB for games. The other 2.5GB is restricted to the OS. IIRC Sony said they would free up some of that restricted RAM for developers to use later on in the consoles life. Also, the secondary CPU/RAM is for background tasks such as downloading while in standby mode etc. Not sure about the CPU but the RAM is only 256mb. It is not there for games to use.

That said, 5.5GB is about 5632mb. The PS3 only had 512mb RAM (256mb restricted to the GPU). If we exclude the VRAM (not sure if the GPU has it's own dedicated VRAM or if it uses some of the 5.5GB) then the PS4 has 22 x more RAM than the PS3! If we included both RAM/VRAM then the PS4 has 11x more than the PS3.

Theoretically, Rockstar could (in the future) release an update for the game that allows it to make us of the extra RAM that Sony frees up. I, however, think that this is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

I'm sure Rockstar will make good use of all this extra RAM and of course all the extra power that the CPU/GPU has! If that's what they can do with 512mb on 8/9 year old hardware then I can't wait to see what they can do with 5632mb of RAM (5.5GB) and more up to date hardware that the PS4 offers.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Maybe for Xbox1 but im 95% sure the PS4 is 8GB of RAM

Nope.

http://www.eurogamer...software-memory

The PS4 has an OS and other features too. It would never be able to use all the 8GB of RAM for games.

Yeah, you're right about the 3.5 GB, which is even more stupid. I'm surprised Xbox One which has a more profound and complicated OS uses 500 MB less memory than the PS4. However, it's because of the "flexible memory" which allows 500 mb of extra memory from the OS which is managed on the game's behalf. This method is very easy to use. I hope in the future, they do manage to free up some space if that is even possible, or increase the extra memory allocated from the flexible memory.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Actually, they apparently use 3.5 GB for the OS, but give the developers some flexibility, so they can use more.

The OS ram usage will go down in time. Alot of that is reserved for future additions 

bfett21
  • bfett21

The scourge of Carpathia

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Also remember the sharing functions that PS4 and XBone evantually have. Twitch may collapse following the release of GTAV on ps4 haha.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

The OS ram usage will go down in time. Alot of that is reserved for future additions 

That's good then. If once more RAM is available, it'll be like the second coming of Christ to developers. MOAR SHINY GRAFIKZ, TEXTARZ AND LIGHTING AND BETTER PERFORMANCE.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:12 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 16 July 2014 - 04:17 PM.

RAM (along with CPU) account for the processing, that means more data being processed in the background mostly and having more resources at the ready for a faster load. So with more RAM we can expect (hopefully) a much better AI that is more aware of the world it lives in, as well as no more problems with the same cars spawning etc. Graphical details like grass, more cars on the screen, better textures and such, are handled by GPU.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

I'm more interested about the gameplay.
With better hardware, I WANT more impressive variety and depth to the gameplay offering double the possibilities for much larger amount of fun and stuff to enjoy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users