Quantcast

» «
Photo

Was GTA V really pushed to the limits for last gen?

46 replies to this topic

Poll: Does GTA V looked maxed out on PS3/360? (147 member(s) have cast votes)

Does GTA V looked maxed out on PS3/360?

1. Yes, they Maxed the crap out of it. (119 votes [80.95%])

Percentage of vote: 80.95%

2. No, theres some stuff that is missing. (28 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Looking at Last of Us, Max Payne 3, Mafia 2, Red Dead Redemption, and even GTA 4, while these games aren't as big so less to process, however in these other games they have features that GTA V lacks but shouldn't in my opinion. Last of Us has realistic lighting, Max Payne 3 has better character physics, gun gameplay, and graphics overall imo, Mafia 2 has PhysX, Red Dead Redemption has vegation all over the map while GTA V barely has any in the desert and has different weather for different locations, and comparing V to IV there is a difference but not much, plus IV has more interior places and is more fun to roam.

GTA V is beautiful and I can't wait for next gen, but I just feel like GTA V wasn't maxed out.

• theGTAking101 and Mr Pickles like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:34 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 14 July 2014 - 08:36 AM.

YES!

-Wet Clothes Effects
-Animals (Wild and Domestic)
-Great Draw Distances
-Superficial NPCs
-Detailed City
-Rain Puddles (Thunder Storm etc.)
-Beautiful Graphics and Visuals (with exception of Aliasing and Framerate issues due to console pushed to it limit)
-Realtime Switching System
-Ambitious MMO-like Multiplayer (that still have issues and affects SP sometimes 10 month after launch)
-Detailed Underwater
-Stunning Reflections (and effects) i.e. Sun Flare
-Biggest Map in the Franchise (making 2004's San Andreas becoming 2nd biggest)
ETC...Need i say/explain more?
  • lol232, GroundZero, MilezDawg and 19 others like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'd say yes. It's a technological wonder the damn thing runs as good as it does. There's so much stuff going on, and not just what you see, all sorts of behind the scenes stuff you don't even think about and just take for granted.  

• Spaghetti Cat, adictoGTA, InTheShadowsSince04 and 7 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

All things considered it looks friggin brilliant for the PS3/360 consoles; regardless of other games mentioned, and particilarly for the GTA.
But they are missing elements too, in its design as definitely noticeable, for now.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Advocate For GTA Online Map Additions

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

What the people said above me.

Notice how the loading screens get longer every update? Hardware.

Why does spectating someone whilst on a mission make the whole area feel invisible? Hardware.

Why the ground looks pixelated, especially in the country? Hardware.

It's amazing what the X360 and PS3 can do. Simply look at games from these console's launch, then look at them in their end. Launch games for them looked great for its time, but look at GTA V, and other games from recent memory; GTA V almost looks like real life.

• adictoGTA, InTheShadowsSince04, BLOOD-MOND and 1 other like this

Apex Predator
  • Apex Predator

Go big or go home

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

- The Last of Us has realistic lighting but it's not an open world game.
- Max Payne isn't an open world game and is meant to have ridiculous unrealistic gunplay, which makes it good (read: effective at killing lots of people in a ridiculous fashion) but it doesn't make sense in a GTA game.
- Mafia II only has PhysX on the PC version and the PS3 version doesn't even have grass. It also has a Call of Duty-esque physics engine, i.e no ragdoll until you kill the person.
- Red Dead Redemption doesn't have to render dozens of cars on screen at the same time. Also driving is much faster than riding a horse, the streaming technology probably wouldn't be able to handle it without huge framerate dips.

All in all, I'm amazed that Rockstar has managed to pull this off, it's absolutely amazing for what it is.
I can't wait for what they have in store for us with the next gen and PC versions and for future titles.
  • GroundZero, deathion, adictoGTA and 12 others like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:30 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 14 July 2014 - 10:32 AM.

- The Last of Us has realistic lighting but it's not an open world game.
- Max Payne isn't an open world game and is meant to have ridiculous unrealistic gunplay, which makes it good (read: effective at killing lots of people in a ridiculous fashion) but it doesn't make sense in a GTA game.
- Mafia II only has PhysX on the PC version and the PS3 version doesn't even have grass. It also has a Call of Duty-esque physics engine, i.e no ragdoll until you kill the person.
- Red Dead Redemption doesn't have to render dozens of cars on screen at the same time. Also driving is much faster than riding a horse, the streaming technology probably wouldn't be able to handle it without huge framerate dips.

All in all, I'm amazed that Rockstar has managed to pull this off, it's absolutely amazing for what it is.
I can't wait for what they have in store for us with the next gen and PC versions and for future titles.

I am in love with the comment...Just WOOW!

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:30 AM Edited by AlfredNTheFettuc, 14 July 2014 - 10:34 AM.

I've noticed GTA V has tons of tiny little animations that normally they wouldn't bother with since they're not that noticeable and would take too much processing power for what they worth. Stuff like guns actually having detailed animations where you can even see the ejection port moving (compare it to GTA IV where the guns had no animations, not even the magazine being taken out), flip-flops actually flopping in SP, objects affected by the wind like power lines moving... I can't wait to see how it all looks like in next gen current gen.

• adictoGTA, Xerukal and BLOOD-MOND like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:34 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 14 July 2014 - 10:37 AM.

I've noticed GTA V has tons of tiny little animations that normally they wouldn't bother with since they're not that noticeable and would take too much processing power for what they worth. Stuff like guns actually having detailed animations where you can even see the ejection port moving (compare it to GTA IV where the guns had no animations, not even the magazine being taken out), flip-flops actually flopping in SP, objects affected by the wind like power lines moving... I can't wait to see how it all looks like in next gen.

and remember every Neighbourhood/District have a street name unlike a Next-Gen game we all know :D

Note:And Oh the Sea Waves,and that just the LG with Outdated 512mb version...
  • InTheShadowsSince04 likes this

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

I've noticed GTA V has tons of tiny little animations that normally they wouldn't bother with since they're not that noticeable and would take too much processing power for what they worth. Stuff like guns actually having detailed animations where you can even see the ejection port moving (compare it to GTA IV where the guns had no animations, not even the magazine being taken out), flip-flops actually flopping in SP, objects affected by the wind like power lines moving... I can't wait to see how it all looks like in next gen.

and remember every Neighbourhood/District have a street name unlike a Next-Gen game we all know :D

Note:And Oh the Sea Waves,and that just the LG with Outdated 512mb version...

Which is particularly sad since it was apparently developed for the PS4/Xbone in mind...

I wonder though if the new gen version of GTA V is just a revamp of the old one or if it was planned all along. If the latter, then it might be more amazing than we think.

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:49 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 14 July 2014 - 10:55 AM.

^I think it the latter,if not it wont be coming out this fall...Damn It just reminds me of TR:Definitive Edition,but this is for an Openworld Game which Pushed Old hardwares to their limit, cant wait :happy:

Note:Rockstar have 8 Studios in the World with 900 employees,so while North was finishing the LG version and releasing it in September 2013 ,Toronto and Leeds are getting deep with the NG version which North will be assisting them with...All the crazy dlcs for GTAO i think is being made by San-Diego and NYC (the HQ).
  • Mr Pickles likes this

Mr Pickles
  • Mr Pickles

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Minor issues I have with the game aside,the amount of juice they managed to squeeze out of those two old saggy whores is amazing.I can`t wait to see what they are going to  be able to do with the new whores on the block and their fancy new vagina`s.

• visionist, adictoGTA, BLOOD-MOND and 1 other like this

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Yes i think so. Considering driving a tug boat online in IV made it lag out like hell, I think they've done an amazing job. Little things like how well players keep up to speed online instead of oneplayer been slightly behind causing some weird lag. Add that to a bigger, brighter, vibrant map with 3 main characters PLUS big planes to fly... the fact it runs so smooth is pretty outstanding. Not to mention the cars, clothes and all of the other details. Pretty impressive when you break it down.

• Cezar24 and BLOOD-MOND like this

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

Courier 6

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

All of the above yes, but you have to remember that a lot of stuff you see, runs in the background. The traffic AI, ped AI, the current weather as well as the next weather pattern that's going to happen, the lighting condition, shadow locations and many more runs in the background to give you what we see on screen in a fraction of a second. And the game still runs amazing and looks beautiful!
  • Cutter De Blanc, one55, Mr Pickles and 1 other like this

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:36 PM Edited by one55, 14 July 2014 - 12:39 PM.

Yes. 

Just actually stop for a minute and think about it. This entire game is running on no more than 512mb RAM and that's RAM that has to be shared between the CPU and GPU. 360 can allocate whatever amount between both chips but the PS3 strictly has 256mb RAM and 256mb VRAM. This is simply 8/9 year old hardware that can have 3 playable characters, the biggest Rockstar map to date, the map is very detailed especially around the city. there's a god damn ocean full of ship wrecks and sharks etc. i could honestly go on and on.

i don't know how the hell rockstar managed it. they must be wizards or some sh*t. if it werent for the 720p resolution, low fps and textures then this game could release on PS4/XB1 and be called a true next gen title. but oh no they are bringing it to these consoles with more than just better textures/fps/resolution. they are giving us new wildlife, better weather and destruction effects. more 3d foliage/trees and god knows what else.

TL;DR if GTA V came out on PS4 the way it did on PS3 then i'd still be impressed. i have no idea how they managed to get it to a playable state on ps3/360.

• adictoGTA, Im2akillerfish, Cezar24 and 3 others like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Yes. 

Just actually stop for a minute and think about it. This entire game is running on no more than 512mb RAM and 8/9 year old hardware. 3 playable characters, the biggest Rockstar map to date, the map is very detailed especially around the city. there's a god damn ocean full of ship wrecks and sharks etc. i could honestly go on and on.

i don't know how the hell rockstar managed it. they must be wizards or some sh*t. if it werent for the 720p resolution, low fps and textures then this game could release on PS4/XB1 and be called a true next gen title. but oh no they are bringing it to these consoles with more than just better textures/fps/resolution. they are giving us new wildlife, better weather and destruction effects. more 3d foliage/trees and god knows what else.

TL;DR if GTA V came out on PS4 the way it did on PS3 then i'd still be impressed. i have no idea how they managed to get it to a playable state on ps3/360.

With all that said (Great Comment btw),the consoles have start showing their ages and Ancient Hardwares with every new updates/dlc which also fixes some and bring other issues...Rockstar are beyond words :)

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Secretly a GTA IV fanboy

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

This isn't even a debate.

• SCOOBASTEEB and BLOOD-MOND like this

Voggs
  • Voggs

A cheese sandwich would be nice

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:05 PM Edited by Voggens, 14 July 2014 - 03:52 PM.

This is now Blood's favorite thread lol. :lol:

I think it did, I've never seen so many details in an open world game like this one before. Some things amazed me such as water falling from the protagonist after getting wet and leaving a water trail behind, the lightning bolts, the draw distance is great when it comes to buildings, mountains and even trees and bushes.
Although it wasn't quite what I expected I still liked it and appreciate the hard work.

• BLOOD-MOND and Zackyoung1 like this

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

I like how the poll is a completely different question from the title -.-'

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

There is more to maxing out a game than just graphical power.  

• Kampret likes this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

GTA v is the best game ever its not even a discussion
  • adictoGTA, KingGTAV, Cezar24 and 3 others like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Absolutely Brother :D

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

You say it yourself, that games like The Last Of Us and Max Payne 3 have less to process. So why are you surprised that GTA V can't match their level of physics and lighting? You seem to understand the limitation and yet want Rockstar to... magic around it?

• Cutter De Blanc and Detective Phelps like this

KingGTAV
  • KingGTAV

Unutterably Mesmerized by New-Gen GTA: V.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:38 PM Edited by KingGTAV, 14 July 2014 - 07:39 PM.

Last-Gen Grand Theft Auto: V, to be temporally correct as a delineation, is monumentally 10 times leaps and bounds of what Grand Theft Auto: IV's schematic envisioned. Moreover, in conjunction with the capacities of Last-Gen hardware, albeit the understandable omissions of content, which every game will encompass during its phases of development, Last-Gen Grand Theft Auto: V is a graphical relic, which had an altruistic, Next-Gen calling. To conclude that it pushed the limits is most definitely an understatement, and the validation of that is venturing to any of the many picturesque locations, one of which is the panoramic perspective of Los Santos framed on a night canvas. While I am currently running a Grand Theft Auto: V hiatus in anticipation for the new variant, I can say with an ironclad assurety there were many times where I would concede to the view, step back and be aghast. :) 

I remember commandeering Franklin for the first time and studiously admiring the road that eventually transitioned into the Great Ocean Highway. It was around the vicinity of Dr. Friedlander's house, and I realistically panned left and right, being acquainted with a cluster of motorists, and the overtones of ambiance. Then there were the cosmetic distinctions of the highway every couple of feet, patches and the guardrails. It truly gives you that simulation of realism, especially with the duration of time required to approach Blaine County.

It really is an inexplicable feat for Rockstar. Darn it, if writers block was not prevailing again, I could articulate this more beautifully. Word recidivism; I need to dive deeper. :D :p Okay, how about this: albeit the Last-Gen hardware, Rockstar was not eclipsed by limitations and their momentum was not curtailed in the least. Rockstar has an unmalleable consistency with Grand Theft Auto titles and Last-Gen Grand Theft Auto: V pays the strongest testament to just how empirically mind-blowing New-Gen Grand Theft Auto: V is going to be! :D                       

• Tilemaxx and Overmenneske like this

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

copy of a copy of a copy

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:51 PM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 14 July 2014 - 07:53 PM.

At first I thought no, but then I thought YES. It did max out pretty well. I won't go too much into this (although I can) because it could be a really long post.

Although (Yeah call me a crybaby) I am mad at R* for what they did with GTA V SP and went up on Online, and not giving f*ck about SP, R* is still awesome and they pulled off one of the best games out there

.JokeR
  • .JokeR

Madness is the emergency exit.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:53 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 14 July 2014 - 07:55 PM.

Red Dead Redemption is better, but yeah! Woooo!

On topic, yes it max the f*ck out of the Xbox/PS3. It amazes me what devs like R* and Naughty Dog can accomplish while you have other devs complaining about the lack of hardware.

Can't wait for GTA VI, Rockstar can pull wonders with 512MB. I want to see what they can do with 5GB.
  • adictoGTA, InTheShadowsSince04 and Mr Pickles like this

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

That's a rhetorical question right?

No sane and grounded gamer with basic knowledge of the ps3/360 would assume a game like this would run as it does, even if at all.

Yes. 

Just actually stop for a minute and think about it. This entire game is running on no more than 512mb RAM and that's RAM that has to be shared between the CPU and GPU. 360 can allocate whatever amount between both chips but the PS3 strictly has 256mb RAM and 256mb VRAM. This is simply 8/9 year old hardware that can have 3 playable characters, the biggest Rockstar map to date, the map is very detailed especially around the city. there's a god damn ocean full of ship wrecks and sharks etc. i could honestly go on and on.

Yes, well said! What is this sorcery!?! They would risk burning at the stake in the olden days.

My gaming pc has 16gb of system ram, and 3gb of graphics, now i don't assume the pc release will run perfectly(pessimist), which says something about these old plastic relics and rockstars programming. I am impressed. Wasn't expecting this level of performance.
  • InTheShadowsSince04 and BLOOD-MOND like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

Yes. Almost too far beyond the capabilities of last gen, in some respects. 

• Cutter De Blanc and Mr Pickles like this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yep. See for yourself.

• Detective Phelps, Smaher. and Mr Pickles like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

Yes, they have really pushed the last gen consoles to their limits.

Blood's post pretty much explains it.

• Mr Pickles and BLOOD-MOND like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users