Photo

mindfuq

31 replies to this topic
Bozzah
  • Bozzah

sick, demented griefer

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:36 PM Edited by Bozzah, 14 July 2014 - 02:46 PM.

First of all, please don't start a religious war in this thread...

As an atheist, I came to think of this lately:

Assuming there is no god and that that the evolution is proven to occur, all our lives, actions and even thoughts are just the results of a giant chemical reaction.

If we think of how the universe and our earth got created.... there was that Big Bang, all chemical elements got thrown in all directions and somehow formed the first compounds. Some of them were more complex than the others....then the earth got formed.... life on earth started with simple things,  such as algae and bacteria etc.... then more complex organisms.... then the modern human being got added.... (http://en.wikipedia....ry_of_the_Earth

every being on this earth has thought and done things. 

Every movement, every decision etc was just the result of this huge chemical reaction.

Do you understand what I am trying to explain here? If the history of the universe is truly a chemical reaction, then there should be a mathematical formula that lets you calculate what's going to happen next....But even that would be of no use.

You have absolutely no influence on anything since all your thoughts are just part of that reaction. There is no such thing as free will, luck/bad luck etc.... there's just that one destiny.

Kinda depressing....

(after reading it again, the following part may be too fictive for some of you :p)

But what if mankind found out the formula.

What if we could change the destiny? What if you found out that you were going to die because of an accident in 10 years? If you avoided what is actually predestined, what would happen? What if it's already predestined that we find out about the formula and changed our destinies?

That formula about the chemical reaction would end up in that loop at that point or just make no sense anymore.... maybe that's the reason of life? Being able to look into future and change all things to your favor?

Did I write complete garbage or does this make you think a little?

• D- Ice, IveGotNoValues, Killzone3265 and 1 other like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Whoa man. You blew my mind man.

• Moonshield, Davo the Assassin, Brad and 5 others like this

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:41 PM Edited by ArmoredxApple, 13 July 2014 - 11:45 PM.

You should have taken me out to dinner first, before you f***ed my mind.

• Davo the Assassin, orbitalraindrops, IveGotNoValues and 3 others like this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

What? That's not how it works.

Just because something comes out of a "chemical reaction" doesn't mean it can't be controlled or influenced. 

• Tyler, Raavi and Sugar Free Nos like this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:53 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 14 July 2014 - 12:00 AM.

Sounds like exactly what physics is.

I think the problem with finding some sort of master equation is that all the chemical reactions, even if we know how they work and where they came from, are so numerous and spread out that it'd be too difficult to account for everything that's happening at once. I'm not a physicist though, I've just read things that would suggest that online. We do have lots of little scientific equations that can help predict a lot of things accurately already, and it's a lot more efficient to study and improve predictions that way.

Too many variables to work, basically.

Bozzah
  • Bozzah

sick, demented griefer

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

What? That's not how it works.

Just because something comes out of a "chemical reaction" doesn't mean it can't be controlled or influenced. 

but it means that there are only a few  possible outcomes for the reaction and that you can expect what is going to happen

and even then it's weird if you think about what our mind actually is. it's nothing but an  exchange of electrical signals between some cells....

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

Er, no.

• Moonshield likes this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

the theory is if you have enough information, you could predict everything. Unfortunately the computing power to calculate that information would be huge. even humans, in theory, are predictable if you know enough about said person, and people get paid a sh*tone to do so (for criminal investigation).

so in theory, yes you could predict your death, however you would have to calculate that knowledge into the formula....in which it gets even more complex.
  • Bozzah likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:42 AM

I don't think that's how chemical reactions work.
  • Killerdude likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

If the history of the universe is truly a chemical reaction, then there should be a mathematical formula that lets you calculate what's going to happen next

Then would me slamming my head into the wall with my dick in my hand while yelling "HOLY CRAP" be calculated?

• Killerdude, IveGotNoValues, Sugar Free Nos and 1 other like this

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

that makes sense to a point but i still have my willpower. i may smash this laptop right now or throw myself out of the window but i don't :cool: where's ur reaction now m80 

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

If the history of the universe is truly a chemical reaction, then there should be a mathematical formula that lets you calculate what's going to happen next

Then would me slamming my head into the wall with my dick in my hand while yelling "HOLY CRAP" be calculated?

That depends. Is it something you do regularly?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

I can make it regular if it'll disprove that hacksh*t of a theory

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

JOHNNIE TEE IN THE HOUSE

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

um.. are you saying we can predict everything that's going to happen in the future by some sort of master universal mathematical formula?

how-high_o_345890.jpg

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

chemical reactions are predictable. we just don't have the capability to predict it.
  • Jimmy_Leppard and Bozzah like this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

Yeah I was 15 once too.
  • Moonshield, GTA36362355 and Raavi like this

Brad
  • Brad

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

Your hypothesis doesn't account for the fact that while interactions are a result of a chemical formula, you have failed to demonstrate how they fall into a mathematical model of explanation. 

Take for instance, Brownian motion, whereby particles in a fluid collide in a gas or a liquid seemingly have random motion. Just because there is a mathematical model, the mathematical model does not account for random interaction. 

The human kind, as a chemical substance for which you observe, is abundant in random interactions. Sometimes these interactions are absurd, irrational or contrary to our contemporary understanding of human nature. And this random "constant" cannot ever be quantified. Once more, I don't think the world as deterministic as you think. 

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

just because we don't understand why it reacts a certain way does not necessarily mean it is random. if you could calculate the speed, angle of impact, density right down to the molecular level, you in theory could predict how they would interact.
  • Bozzah likes this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:32 AM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 14 July 2014 - 02:32 AM.

T'was a joke. Maybe chemical reactions aren't allowing my mind to comprehend this theory, or maybe it's some way of trying to be abdicative. Either way, I agree that this is bull.

• universetwisters and Detective Phelps like this

waymuu
  • waymuu

#Titebond

• Members
  • Martinique

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:37 AM

If I found out I was going to die in an accident in 10 years, I'd make sure I was wearing a funny outfit the day of.

• universetwisters and Bozzah like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

T'was a joke. Maybe chemical reactions aren't allowing my mind to comprehend this theory, or maybe it's some way of trying to be abdicative. Either way, I agree that this is bull.

It is indeed bull, but now I'm trying to wonder whether or not the level of bull is equal to or greater than/less than that alternate universe theory where there's an alternate universe for every trivial thing in the world, like if I were left handed or if Hitler's mustache was short four hairs when he bit the bullet.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

It is indeed bull, but now I'm trying to wonder whether or not the level of bull is equal to or greater than/less than that alternate universe theory where there's an alternate universe for every trivial thing in the world, like if I were left handed or if Hitler's mustache was short four hairs when he bit the bullet.

that theory is bull due to the cause and effect theory.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

I can't say I don't agree with your thesis, but I can't say I agree either. It's an interesting idea though, but all those ''What if's'' that surround your thesis are what makes me not look into it further. Sorry.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

How did the worlds get to be round?
All the debris in space is jagged.
So why are planets round and moons?

:)

Brad
  • Brad

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Because F= G(m1m2) / r^2 

Bozzah
  • Bozzah

sick, demented griefer

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:24 PM Edited by Bozzah, 14 July 2014 - 01:25 PM.

in short: gravity

I can't say I don't agree with your thesis, but I can't say I agree either. It's an interesting idea though, but all those ''What if's'' that surround your thesis are what makes me not look into it further. Sorry.

I kinda got off my point when I started talking about that equation :p

It's how our mind works what is bugging me...

Just think about it, if you do not believe in god and a soul etc, it's pretty hard to explain what our mind really is. It's not really existent but it kinda is....  :facedesk: 

.........I sound like some preacher of a sect or cult, don't worry I'm not :D Just wanted to see if someone had an answer to this here

Zondar
  • Zondar

Puttin' on an iron shirt.......

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Can science achieve a unified theory of complex systems?
Maybe so.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I actually completely agree with the OP. I've been an atheist for quite a while, though I only came to the same conclusion a few years ago.

It is simply part of scientific understanding that we are all indeed just incredibly complex chemical reactions - as uncomfortable as it may be, every thought, dream, hope, and feeling of love you experience is simply the product of the electro-chemical reactions occuring in your neurones and across synapses in your brain. These are in turn influenced by countless (though not infinite) physical factors. Determinism has been directly scientifically proven in human behavior, and, depending on your exact definition of free will, it may have been disproven.

Regarding an absolute way to calculate future occurances, I'm no expert in physics, but I'd think that it would be impossible. The chain of causation to any particular event stretches all the way back to the beginning of the universe, and can be affected by a single quanta of energy. This can include even a single photon of light from the other side of the universe interacting with something millons of years before the event in question. Since everything in the universe is thus interconnected, to calculate any future event, you will need to consider everything in the universe on a quantum scale. I believe the total number of quantum states in the universe is around 10^10^70 (I'm not sure if that's the same according to the "Holographic" Universe Theory). To make a calculator or computer to make accurate calculations on that scale, you'll need more atoms than there are in the universe!

Hope that at least makes some sense. :p

• Bozzah likes this

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:18 PM Edited by Nipperkins, 14 July 2014 - 03:18 PM.

f*cking magnets, how do they work?

• D- Ice, Sugar Free Nos and Bozzah like this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

I have no idea why, I always run out of likes right when I see a golden post.

Whoever made the likes limit should be fired from this site.

f*cking magnets, how do they work?

An electromagnetic (or whatever how's that being slept) kind of force. There's two types. One that has a negative force, another that has a positive force. When both come nearby (both being different) they pull each other. Why does anything that is made from metal fly towards it? Because its made of metal.

• PhilosophicalZebra likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users