Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:04 PM Edited by Andreas, 18 July 2014 - 07:09 PM.

N.O.E. wasn't an issue at all for me, not even on my PS2 Slim. I knew there are lots of trees in the countryside so I flew with the Rustler accordingly careful. Pop-ins were never a huge problem in GTA, in my experience, at least not to an extent where it affects the gameplay negatively.

I haven't played V a whole lot, so I don't know if it's that bad. As Ash pointed out though, these pop-ins can be avoided by installing the game on a HDD with 7200RPM or higher, or an SSHD or an SSD.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

I have two HDD's, each 7200RPM. SSD's are still too expensive and space is an issue for me.

But what about this?:

GTA IV, a console port.

GTA V, a PC port?

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

especially when you were doing the N.O.E. mission.

What about it? I remember that mission being pretty damn easy... I ONLY ever completed SA on PS2 - but it was a slimline so I'm not sure if the reading speed was improved for it.

There was a bit of input lag but you got used to it, what was annoying was the constant tree pop-ins. I can recall replaying the mission thrice.

ienvy
  • ienvy

Crackhead

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Anything multiplatform today is made with consoles in mind and is limited around what they can do.

It is much easier to just think of all games, that are multiplatform, to be console ports.

If you really believe when a dev says "We are making the PC version seperately from the console version etc etc" then youre fooling yourself.

I have seen that statement too many times and had a menu screen with a "Press Start to continue" to take that statement in any way serious.

What you CAN do is applause when the port is good and doesnt come with a ton of flaws.

Did anyone here play watchdogs? "Lead platform is PC" which is why it didnt even work on almost anyones PC amirite? I know this is a different game, publisher and dev, but thats another trend that has been making its way into this market.

Everything is a port, unless it exists on PC only. Just pray that they do it properly. GTA V on PC will also be a port, just hopefully a much better one than IV was.

The only reason V will look better on PC is because they improved it for the "next gen" playboxes aswell.

Also, why are people using the next gen and last gen terms in a place thats supposed to be for PCs? As far as Im aware, my PC is 12 years old, it has never been last or next gen, its always been current gen.

Next gen is a term made to sell playboxes to people who think it sounds fancy, it has no actual meaning other than "This playbox is more powerfull than your old playbox"

• DaRkL3AD3R and utack like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

*insert Kermit the Frog freaking out gif*

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:03 PM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 18 July 2014 - 11:06 PM.

Anything multiplatform today is made with consoles in mind and is limited around what they can do.

It is much easier to just think of all games, that are multiplatform, to be console ports.

If you really believe when a dev says "We are making the PC version seperately from the console version etc etc" then youre fooling yourself.

I have seen that statement too many times and had a menu screen with a "Press Start to continue" to take that statement in any way serious.

What you CAN do is applause when the port is good and doesnt come with a ton of flaws.

Did anyone here play watchdogs? "Lead platform is PC" which is why it didnt even work on almost anyones PC amirite? I know this is a different game, publisher and dev, but thats another trend that has been making its way into this market.

Everything is a port, unless it exists on PC only. Just pray that they do it properly. GTA V on PC will also be a port, just hopefully a much better one than IV was.

The only reason V will look better on PC is because they improved it for the "next gen" playboxes aswell.

Also, why are people using the next gen and last gen terms in a place thats supposed to be for PCs? As far as Im aware, my PC is 12 years old, it has never been last or next gen, its always been current gen.

Next gen is a term made to sell playboxes to people who think it sounds fancy, it has no actual meaning other than "This playbox is more powerfull than your old playbox"

And you just joined to say that, or you're hiding your real ID to avoid harm into your real one?

Seriously, if you read what i posted back there you would understand how your perception is deadly wrong. A port is when you grab a specific platform version and you "translate it" to be "understood" by another platform. Simply as that, that is a port or a least the definition of port we're talking about, and the one that could cause issues to the other platforms, because very hardly a port ends up being as it should to that hardware. It's all about the instructions coded that allows the machine to understand and process, thats it. It's the exact same game with possibly better textures, resolution and assets amount nothing else.

When it's not a port the game content is the same but the way is understood by the machine, the way it's processed, the way it's displayed, the way it performs can and most likely will be different, not only because it tells what parts of the machine it needs to use but also because some of the technical features are in it's core since the beginning what wouldn't happen if it was ported from a different platform that wasn't allowed to use them.

I don't understand what is so hard to understand in this.

Oh and as for Watch Dogs, it's a new game engine that tried to push the limits of something that is just starting... WD is the first open world game to use all the latest technology in a huge scenario (which means that it needs a lot of processing power and a lot of RAM memory to write at a given time to display everything keeping all the AI, path... instructions). The problem of WD is not only hardware optimization, the biggest problem is that without enough hardware capabilities you're not able to render all of that with that quality without being slow and choppy in the majority of the setups currently being used, that is reserved for the top of the line which is a minority. Maybe if they knew the engine better and had more experience with it... but they aimed too high, too soon.

• Määhhh, Murray Bunyan and Xerukal like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:08 PM Edited by Xerukal, 18 July 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Ugh, a bad PC version doesn't automatically equal said PC version being a port. 

The PC CAN be the lead platform for a game and still end up getting a bad version of the game for the platform. Probably because of poor development or just, like Silver said, aiming way too high for the game's good. Too much ambition with not enough experience to back it up. This is the exact opposite for GTA V. The ambition is there and it is HUGE in proportions, but it is backed up by insanely competent programmers and developers that know what the f*ck they're doing, even if the engine they're working with is very uncooperative. 

This is why we got what we got with V on last gen. This is why it runs so "well" (by last generation console standards, and yes, PC gamers DO get to use "generation" labels for the sake of simplicity. Obviously noone here believes PCs have "generations". A PC is a PC. It is not bound by generations of hardware. This is common knowledge).

• Deji, Andreas and Määhhh like this

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:47 PM Edited by Murray Bunyan, 18 July 2014 - 11:48 PM.

People are confusing games with same assets on PC and console versions to games that are console ports.

Crysis 3's console versions share a lot of their assets with the PC version, but it isn't a port. The entire graphical pipeline is different. The X360 version has almost no dynamic shadowing from dynamic light sources.

http://images.euroga...y/90/format/jpg

http://images.euroga...y/90/format/jpg

As you can see, the PC version looks substantially better than the X360 version. The higher resolution textures really pop-out. The addition of ambient occlusion is also nice. But you're basically seeing the same ~20,000 polygon Psycho. In fact, none of the geometry has been touched (with the exception being tessellation, but this is not something that developers do earlier, this is done by the engine).

ienvy
  • ienvy

Crackhead

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:04 AM Edited by ienvy, 19 July 2014 - 12:10 AM.

Thats all well and good what youre saying but you seem to me like youre in total denial and youl take all that your favorite dev says like its the word of god.

If you honestly think any multiplatform game made today isnt made for consoles 1st and PC later then I dont even know what to say.

Watch Dogs whats claimed to have PC as lead platform, if you played that game, aside from ALL of the problems it had and as far as I know still has when it comes to stability and so on, simple things like the phone feature where you can pick online play and so on was OBVIOUSLY designed for consoles, the weapon/gadget selection wheel was OBVIOUSLY designed for consoles, both of these just felt massively akward to use with a mouse and keyboard while they are easy to navigate with a controller.

Watchdogs also didnt look impressive at all, it didnt have this "awesome AI" either, infact, the AI was extremely simple and dull. It didnt have real reflections in windows etc, it didnt have real lighting, like 90% of the light sources dont even cast shadows. The draw distance aswell was just poor, and if we talk physics.. Sure, it had cans "being blown by the wind" across the street and your coat had some effect to it, but the driving was just weird, no matter how fast you were driving a bike if you crashed you would fly the same 10 meters and roll over the same amount of times regardless if you went 200kmh or 15, and there was almost litterally no damage models for cars. All around a pathetic game if you look at it objectively. A console port of the worst kind by my definition.

Going by what Dark mentioned earlier, looking back at Crysis 1, it can even put some games today to shame, sure, it looks abit dated on some departments, but when you think about how old it is, its really obvious that if this was possible on a PC with that hardware at that time, then we should be seeing something alot prettier with much more advanced physics and AI. So saying that games today are indeed made for PCs.. Just seems extremely naive to me.

And if youre seriously trying to tell me that a PC game where the main menu says "Press Start to continue" or some sh*t like that isnt a console port, then there is litterally nothing in the entire world that could get through to you.

There are far more examples, but my post is long enough as is.

• Wavesittich likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

I literally can't even right now, totes can't even guys.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:55 AM Edited by Xerukal, 19 July 2014 - 12:59 AM.

Do you not know how Ubisoft does their sh*t? They're very clumsy when it comes to PC development. It is possible that PC WAS lead platform, but that does not guarantee Crysis-level commitment or quality. They made a PC version that was most likely ported to next gen consoles, but failed to optimize said PC version because they couldn't give less of a sh*te about it.  

It's easier to develop for PC, but optimizing for PC is something different altogether. And also something Ubisoft just couldn't be bothered to do, lol.

That's my take on it, at least. The game's been out for almost 2 months now. To my knowledge, there has been only one patch thus far, and that patch also caused even more issues, if a quick glance at the Steam Discussions/Ubi forums is anything to go by. 

At least Rockstar rolled out patches at an insane pace when they realized how sh*tty the IV PC version was. Not that the game should have released like that in the first place, but at least they tried!

• Määhhh likes this

ienvy
  • ienvy

Crackhead

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:32 AM

Dude youre now being ridiculous, if it acts like a port, stinks like a port, and looks like a port, there is absolutely no reason to say that it indeed was not a port.

Key features clearly made for controllers, graphical settings not scaling as high as they really should, this might scream PC LEAD to you, but to any sane person on the planet it simply does.. Or should not.

Also, just fyi, Ubi would be the publisher, not the actual dev.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:47 AM Edited by Aleph-Zero, 19 July 2014 - 01:48 AM.

Dude youre now being ridiculous, if it acts like a port, stinks like a port, and looks like a port, there is absolutely no reason to say that it indeed was not a port.

Key features clearly made for controllers, graphical settings not scaling as high as they really should, this might scream PC LEAD to you, but to any sane person on the planet it simply does.. Or should not.

A software is made to act as the software engineer wishes and look as the artists involved wishes.

I've never heard of a piece of software that stinks. We're not there yet in the technology.

What is it you're talking about anyway? Because we were talking about Max Payne 3 in the first place, does that "stink" "look" and "act" as a port to you?

WOW HOLY sh*t. Ubi is the publisher, not the dev. Totally debunked the guy's point. Congrats.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:57 AM Edited by Xerukal, 19 July 2014 - 01:59 AM.

The key features are made for the consoles because THE CONSOLES WERE THE PRIORITY, DUH! 

The game was always advertised as the harbinger of the next generation. The TRUE next-gen experience. You think they'd let the PC version look and play better? f*ck no. That's why they disabled most of the E3 graphics options and hid them within the game files on the PC version. They wanted the next-gen versions to shine just as bright as the PC version, even if meant handicapping the PC version on purpose. We're lucky we have modders. 

The game was conceived on PC as the lead platform, but was made to play like a console game on purpose. Simply because, as I said, developing for PC is much easier. But again, OPTIMIZING for various hardware configurations is something else entirely. 

Also, Ubisoft both published and developed Watch_Dogs. You are wrong. 

Steam Store page.

1577684ebf.png

Wiki.

faf7497a9d.png

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

Why do people forget that PC gamers are allowed to use controllers too?

Black Ops 2 was an excellent port (unlike Ghosts) - my favourite thing was how the joypad behaved exactly the same on PC and XB... usually ports ruin something by completely changing the control scheme for PC with no regards for joypads.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:35 AM Edited by Aleph-Zero, 19 July 2014 - 04:35 AM.

Black Ops 2 was an excellent port (unlike Ghosts) - my favourite thing was how the joypad behaved exactly the same on PC and XB... usually ports ruin something by completely changing the control scheme for PC with no regards for joypads.

Or they ruin everything by completely disregarding the keyboard and mouse (Dark Souls)

Tbh i see no reason to use a controller in any kind of shooter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users