GTAV PC Graphics

135 replies to this topic
Jitterdoomer
  • Jitterdoomer

The Paleto Heist robber.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

I'm going to get GTA V for PC this fall, but it is shipped with the Next-Gen graphics, I might be wondering, is the Last-Gen graphics (same graphics as 360 and PS3) can be shipped with the port? Because I'm planning to play the game with these graphics so that my PC won't risk of overheating.

milenkovic24
  • milenkovic24

Srbin

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

https://cc22940c89d9...2MzA/builds.xml Here`s a buglog and in some points there are references to last gen mode. 

• andersona7x6661 likes this

andersona7x6661
  • andersona7x6661

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

https://cc22940c89d9...2MzA/builds.xml Here`s a buglog and in some points there are references to last gen mode. 

Yeah.
I really think will have dx9,10 e 11 suport
  • milenkovic24 likes this

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• Zaibatsu
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

I don't think that would be implemented. Unless you take it as 'low settings'. Yes, maybe they'll have last gen models and textures for the lower settings.

• universetwisters, Kampret, andersona7x6661 and 1 other like this

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

last-gen mode in the build logs could be just a debug setting, something they would remove later on. I doubt they would support two distinct versions for a single platform, but who knows?

Jitterdoomer
  • Jitterdoomer

The Paleto Heist robber.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

Remember Tomb Raider Legends for the PC? They released two distinct versions in one disc.

AzelfandQuilava
  • AzelfandQuilava

Another COD Player...

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

Like in Halo: Anniversary? If so, I welcome it.

• theNGclan likes this

RedIndianRobin
  • RedIndianRobin

SOMEBODY CUT MY THROAT!!

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

I don't think it will have that feature in the final version. But, you can always lower your graphics and resolution and i think there will be support for dx9,10 and 11. 

teninchtoenail
  • teninchtoenail

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

post got deleted

utack
  • utack

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Because I'm planning to play the game with these graphics so that my PC won't risk of overheating.

Fix you issue maybe. If the GPU is really old: fresh thermal paste costs like $5.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Nearly all PC games have graphics settings, GTA IV had plenty. You'll almost certainly be able to configure all the same things as you could in GTA IV.

Settings page in GTA IV: http://www.hardwareh..._gtx275/gta.jpg

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Playing at low settings to avoid overheating is stupid. 

Low settings -> high FPS -> more work for GPU to render them -> MORE HEAT

So turn all the graphics to high until you can play at ~40 - 50 fps and both you and your computer will enjoy it.

MarshallRawR
  • MarshallRawR

Probably paid by Rockstar

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

I don't get this "last-gen" toggle thingy.
I mean, we don't need this on PC, you know, we've got a "Settings" section for a reason.
If they make a decent PC version, it'll be full of things to tweak.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

GTA IV on the PC has two sets of textures for models - the standard ones, which are the same from the consoles, and the "high" textures, with extra detail. My guess is V will be similar.

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:20 PM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 14 July 2014 - 07:21 PM.

"Last Gen" was what Max Payne 3 PC had, set your game to DX9 which will disable a lot of features being the heavier one Tessellation, lower the settings of Shaders, reflections, water and objects quality, lower the NPC's, traffic density, the draw distance and LOD and you have "Last gen" ... with the advantage that the extra animals and vegetation will still be there, I doubt that anyone thinking about playing GTA V in the lowest settings possible doesn't have at least 1 or 2GB of RAM to use this extra juice.

• Deji and TrustedInstaller like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

I wouldn't say that. The next gen port for V seems like an overhaul whereas Max Payne 3 was just some minor graphical improvements for pc. Not the same.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:58 PM Edited by r34ld34l, 14 July 2014 - 09:59 PM.

I wouldn't say that. The next gen port for V seems like an overhaul whereas Max Payne 3 was just some minor graphical improvements for pc. Not the same.

I doubt it is overhaul as people think it is. What could they add more in Max Payne 3? It is not open world. They could add something extra in levels, but why would they?
For GTA V on next gen console they kinda have to, and it is good idea. It just not graphic improvement, but much more. More people will buy it than if they would just improve graphics.
But still not that "much more" as we might think. We will see.

Snorlax
  • Snorlax

Thug

• Members
  • Armenia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:10 AM Edited by Snorlax, 15 July 2014 - 02:18 AM.

Lol @ "minor graphical improvements"....

did you even play the PC VERSION of Max Payne 3 on ultra settings? coming from the PS3 version at the time, it was like night and day.  i did play it at ultra and downsampled from 1700p, however, even at 1080p the PC version made the console version look like a muddy, aliased, low-resolution mess. the PC version was significantly better visually speaking.

and the ps4/xb1 versions have been ported from the PC version of the game, the definitive version of the game that was in the works for a few years alongside the ps3/360 versions.

• Xerukal likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

Oh wow resolution. This really shows that Rockstar went out of their way to offer a significantly improved visual experience over the consoles, by providing resolution settings.

Please. I can do the same thing to GameCube games with Dolphin. The difference is night and day with 4x internal frame buffer. But it's still the same game.

Reality is there are MINISCULE differences between MP3 console and PC, some minor texture improvements and oh boy tessellation if I am within 5 inches of an object.

I'm sorry but resolution and framerate just don't count for me as noteworthy improvements over a console version because they are the BASELINE to be expected for paying double or even quadruple the same cost as a console system just to play 99% the same game.

So now being able to play MP3 in 4k 8k or 100k with 50,000 fps does not mean it was given special treatment and vastly improved visuals. It's running the same assets and level editing all throughout the game. GTA V has shown that they added higher quality meshes and improved upon the world geometry detail. We have yet to see if this means there will be a toggle to switch off these improvements or not because I don't believe they will be quite as simple as changing overall graphics settings from low to high.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

You've not played Max Payne 3 on PC have you? Model details were higher, there was additional bump mapping, tesselation, additional lighting effects for laser sights and scopes, more fractions on models breaking, texture details was WAY boosted, a LOT of textures were 2048x2048, if you really think Max Payne 3 was just some port, then you're an idiot as so far, it's THE best thing Rockstar have ever put out on PC.
  • Spider-Vice, lol232, theNGclan and 4 others like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:51 PM Edited by DaRkL3AD3R, 15 July 2014 - 07:55 PM.

Yeah, I'm a f*cking idiot. They really went out of their way to make the PC version "special."

360_1080P_022.jpg.jpg
PC_1080P_022.jpg.jpg

360_1080P_020.jpg.jpg
PC_1080P_020.jpg.jpg

360_1080P_001.jpg.jpg
PC_1080P_001.jpg.jpg

You guys are deluded. Seriously. Open your eyes, they did not even come close to taking advantage of PC hardware with this game. It is literally the same thing with the usual suspects available, ie - resolution, frame-rate and other minor settings bumps like shadow resolution and anisotropic filtering. That's it. The tessellation doesn't make a god damn difference if you actually play the game instead of zooming the camera up Max's neck to stare at his ear and how smooth it is.

Stop fanboying it up. I mean f*ck really. You guys are wearing some seriously messed up mix of fanboy and nostalgia goggles right now.

Oh and no, I totally didn't play this game on PC at all. With my top 5% spec'd PC. Nope.
pUeUACe.png
  • vengeancehawk and Wavesittich like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:57 PM Edited by Xerukal, 15 July 2014 - 07:58 PM.

What in the hell does nostalgia have to do with anything? 

And why is the brightness/gamma on the 360 version different than that of the PC version? Or vice versa? 

Also, Max looks so bloated in that 4th screenshot, rofl. 

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:59 PM Edited by DaRkL3AD3R, 15 July 2014 - 08:00 PM.

What in the hell does nostalgia have to do with anything
And why is the brightness/gamma on the 360 version different than that of the PC version? Or vice versa?

It's the same concept, people who look back on something and in their minds they hold it in higher regard than it actually is worth.

And gamma has nothing to do with geometrical details, pixel shaders, textures etc. It's the exact same scene, in higher resoltion. That's the largest improvement this game saw going to PC. Because it wasn't a special remastering of the original game on consoles, which is what V is getting for PC and next gen. You just wait till you see the comparison screenshots of PC maxed out versus Xbox 360. You'll see a MASSIVE differnece, unlike Max Payne 3 which you and Ash seem to think Rockstar Toronto gave a total makeover. I simply pointed out that that is a lie and simply false.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:12 PM Edited by Xerukal, 15 July 2014 - 08:13 PM.

Please do not jump to conclusions. I asked why the gamma was different, I did not imply it had any effect on textures or shaders.

I have not voiced my opinion on Max Payne 3's looks on PC compared to console. Only its optimization. I can't seem to shut up about that. How great it was. I'll stick to championing the optimization, as always. I can't speak for anything else because I'm the awkward f*cker that played the whole thing in DX10.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Why is DaRkL3AD3R mad?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

You guys are deluded. Seriously. Open your eyes, they did not even come close to taking advantage of PC hardware with this game. It is literally the same thing with the usual suspects available, ie - resolution, frame-rate and other minor settings bumps like shadow resolution and anisotropic filtering. That's it. The tessellation doesn't make a god damn difference if you actually play the game instead of zooming the camera up Max's neck to stare at his ear and how smooth it is.

Stop fanboying it up. I mean f*ck really. You guys are wearing some seriously messed up mix of fanboy and nostalgia goggles right now.

Sooo, how SHOULD they have taken advantage of the PC Hardware then? The game has higher resolution textures, higher poly models, extra shadow details (HDAO), extra texture enhancements details (Tesselation), is aimed at being played at 1080p instead of the consoles 720p, and is aimed at 60fps instead of the consoles 30fps.

All you've really done is point out and said that extra PC details such as Tesselation and HDAO Shadows don't make a difference. :p
  • r34ld34l, Murray Bunyan and TrustedInstaller like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

All you've really done is point out and said that extra PC details such as Tesselation and HDAO Shadows don't make a difference. :p

Which they don't. I have yet to see a single scene in a videogame where tessellation provides a vastly superior visual experience over properly created models. Also, HDAO adds only marginally better visuals over SSAO, which either way looks like sh*t. You get these dark blurry areas all over places to attempt to fake something in the worst possible way.

As far as the textures and higher quality models are concerned, I see no difference. This is especially evident when you compare the fact that the console versions are running in substantially lower resolution than the PC can. How would you know they're that much better if you don't have the resolution to see the difference?

Hey, I can open photoshop and change the resolution of a texture from 512x512 to 2048x2048 too. It doesn't mean I poured my heart and soul into making that 2k texture as good as it can be. I bet you also think all games should be played in Ultra because it's the highest setting possible. Got news for you bud, game developers get incentives from GPU manufacturers to artificially inflate GPU utilization disproportionately to the visual graphics increase. It's all placebo. "The resolution is higher on the textures, so they must look better!" Not how it works.

All I'm saying is, Max Payne 3, GTA IV, Crysis 2/3, Call of Duty etc, all these games are experiencing the same syndrome. Games that were built from the ground up for consoles, and even if porting them to PC was part of the plan all along, they did NOT show it the love it deserved. You look at a PC only game like Crysis 1 and set the graphics to LOW. Now set them to High and tell me you don't see a massive difference. Now do the same thing for Max Payne 3, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 etc and the only thing you're liable to see different is shadow quality and post processing bullsh*t like AO, which consumes massive amounts of GPU power for f*cking nothing.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hey, I can open photoshop and change the resolution of a texture from 512x512 to 2048x2048 too. It doesn't mean I poured my heart and soul into making that 2k texture as good as it can be.

As a person who has worked on textures, I'm just going to respectfully disagree with you on that by a large margin.
  • Gummy  and Murray Bunyan like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

As a person who has worked on textures, I'm just going to respectfully disagree with you on that by a large margin.

As a person who has ALSO worked on textures and 3D models and level design, I know I disagree with you too buddy. You're putting far too much faith in an industry that has sold out and every move it makes is about cutting corners and making a profit.

We're lucky that Rockstar NORTH are actually going out of their way to make V significantly better on next gen and PC. Oh wait no we aren't they have to make it that much better. They can't get away with a sh*t PC port that has no improvements at all like they have been doing all these years. They need something to make the early console adopters buy their game. Again.

If this game came out a year earlier than it did we would be seeing Max Payne 3 the port job all over again. Simple tweaks slapped onto a game that's 99% the same thing as the console version.

Tell you what friendo. I have posted a handful of examples showing how the only visible improvement in MP3 on pc is resolution, how about YOU show ME a screen shot that backs up your claim. I dare you to search for a single comparison that shows how the PC version of MP3 had assets created just for that precious little platform. I'll be waiting for your reply.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Peon

• Members

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Hey, I can open photoshop and change the resolution of a texture from 512x512 to 2048x2048 too. It doesn't mean I poured my heart and soul into making that 2k texture as good as it can be.

I concur. No sane person would be upscaling a texture to a higher resolution. I've also worked on textures (UV mapping is a Payne in the ass, though).

On-topic: A toggle? I don't see this getting in the final version of the game. But if you're lowering your graphics settings, you'd practically will be playing the console version of the game, albeit with higher frame-rates.
But I doubt that would happen because most new games' lowest settings are better than the console versions, so you'll be spending some time in the .ini files, since it's GTA, it doesn't use .ini config files to store the draw distance/LOD/screen resolution etc data, instead, most of the draw distance data is stored in .dat files, specifically popcycle.dat. And since GTA IV, you can use custom screen resolutions using the commandline file.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users