Michael Discussion (Spoilers)

127 replies to this topic
OneManCrimeWave
  • OneManCrimeWave

The One Lovable yet Deadly Human Criminal Conspiracy

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Out of the three protagonists, Michael was always my least favorite. This is mainly due to the fact that all of his qualities that make him an interesting character, also make me dislike him immensely.

1. Michael committed the famous crime that almost every GTA antagonist does. Betray your friend (Trevor, i.e. the player) and leave him for dead. This is literally what R* meant by we can play as both the protagonist and antagonist of this story. 

2. Michael's a narcissist that suffers from self-loathing. He's to damn caught up with himself to actually give a sh*t about anyone else's problems, (even if he was the source of their problems to begin with). This is also where his bitter sarcasm comes from. He can't responded to anyone properly since, well, since he just doesn't give a damn. He's just so caught up with the problems he's facing; how's he going to survive, what drastic actions must he take, or even something as simply as hating himself.  

3. He's in-denial. He tries his best to live out a domestic, crime free lifestyle, but in reality, that's not who he is an he knows it, which might also be the reason for his self-loathing. He's a criminal. A violent middle age thug who gets a bizarre kick out of living out a life of chaos. But the domestic lifestyle that he and his family lives out keeps him from admitting that.

4. The biggest one of them all. He's the exact parallel of the GTA fanbase. His hypocrisy, the non-stop bitching, the whining, the moodiness, the self-entitled arrogance, the denial, The greediness, the douchebaggery, and the fanboyism (Mike is a movie fanboy just like some of you are GTA SA fanboys or GTA IV fanboys) show that R* wanted him to be a direct showing of the series fanbase. And if you don't believe me, then believe this quote from Michael himself that I picked up from hanging out with Franklin: 'Well I guess you gotta have something to complain about, otherwise life would be boring.' If Michael and that quote wasn't enough to convince you that M is a direct parallel of some of you guys on here, then I don't know what is.  

All in all, Michael was a character that I thought was interesting. He was a different and somewhat fresh protagonist that I haven't played as before in the series, (excluding Trevor). But all of the qualities that make him interesting also make him my least favorite out of the three.  

• The Mysterious One, Cutter De Blanc, Luddite and 4 others like this

NDH92
  • NDH92

@NDH_92

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Michael definitely isn't the antagonist, if you think that then you're looking at his character in a very twisted way. It's possible to say you disliked Michael, but Trevor's far more dislikeable, as he kills unnecessarily. I don't see how it's possible to dislike Michael, unless you make inaccurate assumptions about his past.

OneManCrimeWave
  • OneManCrimeWave

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Michael definitely isn't the antagonist, if you think that then you're looking at his character in a very twisted way. It's possible to say you disliked Michael, but Trevor's far more dislikeable, as he kills unnecessarily. I don't see how it's possible to dislike Michael, unless you make inaccurate assumptions about his past.

Firstly, no, I'm not looking at Michael's character in a twisted way. It's clearly show that both men are antagonist early on within each other's stories; Michael letting Trevor get killed by the feds and Trevor leaving Michael to defend himself against dozens of Wei Cheng's soldiers are clear examples of that.

Secondly, how is Trevor more unlikeable than Michael. Michael causes just as much destruction and chaos as Trevor does and he knows it. But he choose to wrap himself up in a giant bubble of denial. A prime example would be the Marriage Counseling mission where he acts like a man-child and unreasonable pulls that house off of the hillside just because the tennis couch inside of it was caught having sex with Amanda, (even though he was caught having sex with a stripper). And what's even worse is that he's stuck in a delusion where he thinks he's a good guy. I don't see how this constitutes him as better than Trevor. 

• archiebunker, Cutter De Blanc, fac316 and 1 other like this

NDH92
  • NDH92

@NDH_92

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Again you have to make assumptions about Michael's past. To me Trevor abandoning Michael at the cemetery, and then not helping to save him when he's kidnapped, is far more of a betrayal, than Michael's assumed betrayal. And in 'The Third Way' Trevor wants to kill Dave Norton, suggesting it's him who he's angry with, regarding the bank robbery incident.

• theNGclan likes this

OneManCrimeWave
  • OneManCrimeWave

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:28 AM

Again you have to make assumptions about Michael's past. To me Trevor abandoning Michael at the cemetery, and then not helping to save him when he's kidnapped, is far more of a betrayal, than Michael's assumed betrayal. And in 'The Third Way' Trevor wants to kill Dave Norton, suggesting it's him who he's angry with, regarding the bank robbery incident.

Well, I still disagree about the first part of your post. I don't see how T's betrayal is worst than M's. But I could agree with you about Trevor wanting Davey dead in The Third Way. That isn't to say that T didn't want M dead as well, since it's been mention a few times that he does. Even after the mission if you hang out with Franklin, T tells him that he wanted to kill Michael but choose to kill their worst enemies instead and leave Michael to his self-loathing to make him feel better.  

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:47 AM

Does anyone notice that, aside from a balaclava and helmets, the only hat Michael wears is a Beanie during the prologue?

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

he is one of my favourite GTA protagonists right behind Niko

I liked him much more than Trevor and Franklin

Out of the three protagonists, Michael was always my least favorite. This is mainly due to the fact that all of his qualities that make him an interesting character, also make me dislike him immensely.

1. Michael committed the famous crime that almost every GTA antagonist does. Betray your friend (Trevor, i.e. the player) and leave him for dead. This is literally what R* meant by we can play as both the protagonist and antagonist of this story. 

2. Michael's a narcissist that suffers from self-loathing. He's to damn caught up with himself to actually give a sh*t about anyone else's problems, (even if he was the source of their problems to begin with). This is also where his bitter sarcasm comes from. He can't responded to anyone properly since, well, since he just doesn't give a damn. He's just so caught up with the problems he's facing; how's he going to survive, what drastic actions must he take, or even something as simply as hating himself.  

3. He's in-denial. He tries his best to live out a domestic, crime free lifestyle, but in reality, that's not who he is an he knows it, which might also be the reason for his self-loathing. He's a criminal. A violent middle age thug who gets a bizarre kick out of living out a life of chaos. But the domestic lifestyle that he and his family lives out keeps him from admitting that.

4. The biggest one of them all. He's the exact parallel of the GTA fanbase. His hypocrisy, the non-stop bitching, the whining, the moodiness, the self-entitled arrogance, the denial, The greediness, the douchebaggery, and the fanboyism (Mike is a movie fanboy just like some of you are GTA SA fanboys or GTA IV fanboys) show that R* wanted him to be a direct showing of the series fanbase. And if you don't believe me, then believe this quote from Michael himself that I picked up from hanging out with Franklin: 'Well I guess you gotta have something to complain about, otherwise life would be boring.' If Michael and that quote wasn't enough to convince you that M is a direct parallel of some of you guys on here, then I don't know what is.  

All in all, Michael was a character that I thought was interesting. He was a different and somewhat fresh protagonist that I haven't played as before in the series, (excluding Trevor). But all of the qualities that make him interesting also make him my least favorite out of the three.  

bullsh*t he was one of the best GTA protagonist ever

Arlarse
  • Arlarse

Cultivating Mass

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:49 PM Edited by Arlarse, 23 July 2014 - 03:50 PM.

I like him, and certainly the bits you do hear about Brad you kinda do think it was for the best. I feel he's basically the what if scenario to most other GTA characters on the account of what you given at that the start; as in what if Tommy Vercetti wasn't doing what he was and was instead thief and a grifter. In those worlds it's about the power, in Michaels it's life without that power but with all the comforts.

So overall it's interesting to draw comparisons. As a character he also provides the most depth as well however I can understand why some don't like him as the way he is written, dresses and acts is terribly cliche at times.

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

Protocol_10
  • Protocol_10

Genius

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

Upon watching the Did Somebody Say Yoga? cutscene where Michael gets abducted by aliens, I noticed something interesting. It may not seem interesting up front, but allow me to explain.

Right after Jimmy drugs Michael and steals his car, Michael is laying on the street. He is dragged away by somebody unknown and then he goes through that whole thing with the monkeys and is brought up to the UFO. He is then seen on the table in his underwear being examined by aliens. He is then dropped down and flies through the city and crashes. He wakes up in his underwear and goes back into his house.

Since Michael was in his underwear on the examination table and in his underwear when he woke up, who took his clothes? Of course, maybe when he was drugged he took off his clothes and went on a small rampage, but the alien thing is more interesting.

My question is this: Did Michael really get abducted by aliens? What are your thoughts/theories?

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:04 AM Edited by CasualSergiu, 03 August 2014 - 01:11 AM.

He didn't. It was all nothing but a trip.

About the the thief or even rape theory, that could still stand up.
GTA's universe(s) is/are, indeed, pretty messed up.

I mean, no clothes, clearly, either a simple act of stealing or even worse. Depends on you'd like it to be.
I'd rather take it as just someone stealing his clothes.

Still, seems like Trevor's not the only one having weird times...

• Protocol_10 likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:00 AM

I love Michael definitely the second best GTA protagonist of all time (for me)

So badass but at the same time a very complicated character I love it

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:12 PM Edited by Sofa, 04 August 2014 - 10:29 PM.

*snip for post length*

Great post and a very thought out take on the character, couldn't have said it better myself, the fanbase comparison was golden. You summed him up nicely, leaving pretty much nothing out.

I don't like his personality traits either, he's one of those high-functioning sociopaths that excel in manipulation of the naive and/or insecure, and quick to assume a leading role.

He's a thief, liar, and a snitch. Very few redeeming qualities, not even a sense of humor..... Although he is professional and good at what he does, it's very unlikely any of his associates would let him live after what he pulled off, but for the sake of the story, the fact that michael is a major liability in the event of complications(even more than trevor), is glossed over, which is not that big of a deal, just a (game)story.

Don't get me wrong Michael is no saint and I get why many people dislike his character. He took the easy way out, and set up his friends in order to live a new life...But, Michael is still my favorite protagonist in GTA V. In a real world situation how many people would have made the "right" choice (rhetorical question as there is none..). This was an accident waiting to happen, and they would have gotten caught, the question is when. Michael took the easy way out, yes. But what other way was there?

Oooo, rhetorical question i like those!

He should have stayed far away from his family while supporting them financialy if he cared about their safety and development. Untill he changed his ways, or he got imprisoned, as there is a degree of redemption in recieving and accepting punishment, and little risk of danger or corruption to the family.
Granted, that is incredibly noble and demands a inhuman degree of introspect and selflessness, it is "the right thing" i reckon.

See? No such thing as rhetorical! Chicken or the egg? I say neither, the cock(rooster) came(first), next it is unclear if the hen did, then the egg, and finally the chicken.... Easy!
  • HaythamKenway, OneManCrimeWave and EM_JAY_86 like this

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

Oooo, rhetorical question i like those!

He should have stayed far away from his family while supporting them financialy if he cared about their safety and development. Untill he changed his ways, or he got imprisoned, as there is a degree of redemption in recieving and accepting punishment, and little risk of danger or corruption to the family.
Granted, that is incredibly noble and demands a inhuman degree of introspect and selflessness, it is "the right thing" i reckon.

See? No such thing as rhetorical! Chicken or the egg? I say neither, the cock(rooster) came(first), next it is unclear if the hen did, then the egg, and finally the chicken.... Easy!

That's easier said than done, what kind of an impact do you think that would have on his children? They would grow up fatherless, and ontop of that have to wait for their father to be imprisoned as well? And why. All because his Trevor and Brad gang were way too important, more important than his children?

I rest my case...

• HaythamKenway, Journey_95 and Vec like this

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:14 AM Edited by Sofa, 05 August 2014 - 02:44 AM.

That's easier said than done, what kind of an impact do you think that would have on his children? They would grow up fatherless, and ontop of that have to wait for their father to be imprisoned as well? And why. All because his Trevor and Brad gang were way too important, more important than his children?

I rest my case...

You can't rest your case with questions, my ocd triggers!:-P

Yes, easier said than done, but possible, and ethical. As for the effect on his children, growing up without a father is indeed better than being corrupted by a bad one, the reasoning behind my answer was to spare them of his negative influence and a potential threat to their safety. The imprisonment being a validation of the legal system and serve as an example of inescapable condemnation of criminal behavior, but beside the point. Brad and Trevor are irrelevant since michael would not alter his behavior on their account, there would be other accomplices if they did not even exist, michaels problem is his own behavior and reasoning, not his borderline disorder stricken partners in crime, he is not a victim of circumstance like his family. He arguably uses his family as an excuse to avoid consequence and responsibility, at the expense of their safety and moral integrity. This makes him not fit as parent nor mature for marriage.

*beepbeep*

I am pedantobot 3000. My morality interpretation module is overclocked to 11 on the PC scale. Resistance is futile.
  • EM_JAY_86 likes this

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

I rest my case...

You can't rest your case with questions, my ocd triggers!:-P

Yes, easier said than done, but possible, and ethical. As for the effect on his children, growing up without a father is indeed better than being corrupted by a bad one, the reasoning behind my answer was to spare them of his negative influence and a potential threat to their safety. The imprisonment being a validation of the legal system and serve as an example of inescapable condemnation of criminal behavior, but beside the point. Brad and Trevor are irrelevant since michael would not alter his behavior on their account, there would be other accomplices if they did not even exist, michaels problem is his own behavior and reasoning, not his borderline disorder stricken partners in crime, he is not a victim of circumstance like his family. He arguably uses his family as an excuse to avoid consequence and responsibility, at the expense of their safety and moral integrity. This makes him not fit as parent nor mature for marriage.

*beepbeep*

I am pedantobot 3000. My morality interpretation module is overclocked to 11 on the PC scale. Resistance is futile.

I feel like you're just arguing for the sake of being right. Like I said there's no right or wrong in the situation he was in, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Michael did what any real man would do. He protected his family
  • Lee Everett and Journey_95 like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Michael started out fairly interesting, but he turned into such a dick after associating with the studios/Solomon. 

• OneManCrimeWave and hyperar like this

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:59 PM Edited by Sofa, 06 August 2014 - 05:08 PM.

I feel like you're just arguing for the sake of being right. Like I said there's no right or wrong in the situation he was in, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Yes. Pretty much, it's not like game discussin has any merit, also a little curious how valiantly M would be defended. Most of all i just have an english deficit where i am living at the moment, i miss using my vocabulary as not many speak english.

But relating to the topic, i just don't view michael as the justifiable "good guy", there isn't one in this story and i appreciate that. One could also excuse trevor(please don't lol) with the same approach you use regarding michaels choices. Most sociopaths would also defend his family, except from their own actions and influence, which the responsibility for get redirected to other factors construed to make them seem like a victim. Not seeing through that could make you theirs, by incrementally undermining any judgement.

My point is they're all dicks. Yes, Even franklin. That is normal and prefered, this is gta.

Noox
  • Noox

changeScriptAbility(&myScriptAbility, "improve");

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:11 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 06 August 2014 - 05:15 PM. merged posts

I don't understand how Michael made the deal with the FIB

Was the heist in North Yankton planned or they just talked after he got shot like Dave said in one mission?

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

I like to think they met in a bar somewhere and got talking about how Dave felt like his job was going nowhere, and Mike said he wanted out, and formulated the plan. I don't think they met after the mission since

Spoiler
Hopefully we find out how things went down in the DLC.

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

While Michael is my favorite out of the three, you guys have made some good points about the character. Let me just tell you my opinion about the family angle:

Okay, I get that his lifestyle made his family so dysfunctional. He and Amanda don't have a great marriage, though I wonder if their marriage was any better in between the Ludendorff heist and the start of GTA V. I chose Michael to do "Bury The Hatchet" before my playthrough of doing it with Trevor. The internal dialogue that Michael tells Amanda is that he wants out of the life but it's hard for him because he is a criminal and he finds himself getting back in the life.

He does try to show that he cares about his family. He wouldn't be going to get Tracey from those drug dealers and porno producers if he didn't care. However, they take advantage of him or use him for other things. At the end of "Did Somebody Say Yoga," I actually felt bad for Michael because his family abandoned him like that. However, deep down, there is still some love and care between the De Santa family. Tracey e-mailed him while he was in exile. They also still post on his LifeInvader page.

I can see that he is a bad husband and bad father, but it's not like he doesn't see it and wants to change, though getting "help" from his so-called therapist doesn't make things better at all.

I will say this, in my current playthrough, I decided to do "Did Somebody Yoga" before other things and "Reuniting The Family" after other things like "The Bureau Raid" because it would seem that Michael has the freedom of doing a bunch of crazy and weird things (Like getting involved with Epsilon) before getting his family back together.

• Personal likes this

Vec
  • Vec

That tough guy act is ridiculous! >:U

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:54 PM Edited by Vec, 21 August 2014 - 03:58 PM.

I like to think they met in a bar somewhere and got talking about how Dave felt like his job was going nowhere, and Mike said he wanted out, and formulated the plan. I don't think they met after the mission since

Spoiler
Hopefully we find out how things went down in the DLC.

The real target was Trevor, but Brad unintentionally got in the way of the shot.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

yeah that's why M says to F "the wrong guy got shot"

but that seems a bit weird because during the prologue, it feels as if M knew it was going to happen... because even though Brad is basically already dead or obviously dying, M is just casually saying, "oh he's going to be ok"

and then M stands up and on purpose stands straight and open to Dave, and waits to get shot... as if the plan was to get shot, too, to fake his death, and then he says "i'm not going to make it T in a very scripted way"

but i guess all that 'acting' was planned for him to say to Brad so it still makes sense

T gets shot and killed

M says T will be alright to Brad

M stands up and lets himself get 'killed'

tells Brad to run and save himself cuz T will be alright but M can't be saved

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:10 AM

onto Michael discussion in general, best part of Michael is his facial animations and his eyes

the way his eyes dart around when he's unsure or nervous or embarased, such as at the start of Predator, Paleto Bay Set-up, or  Bury the Hatchet, or the end of Dead Man Walking or Fresh Meat....

his facial and eye animations tell SOOOO much story about his personality

and his sort of weird combination of selfishness and just wanting to have a boring life, make movies, and have his family back make him a little... dislikable at times... he's not really an exciting 'crime' character sometimes... but that's also what makes him so good and such a believable character

if you wanted just a bad ass Michael and a pure psycho Trevor.... go play Kane & Lynch

lol now those are two incredibly bad ass but cliche and 1-dimensional and unbelievable characters

but M and T.... they got dimensions and believable factors precisely because they show dis-likable traits and their own complicated facets

Michael is basically the anti-GTA character! i mean, almost all his characterization is that he wants OUT of the GTA lifestyle

which is a perfect contrast to Trevor is basically GTA The Character incarnate.

• Personal likes this

PhantomRoxas101
  • PhantomRoxas101

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

I understand the assumption but that's not true. Think about it like this, Trevor trusted and adored Michael, that's his BEST FRIEND. No one else can EVER amount to Michael, and losing him was one blow to the heart too many for poor T. Drove the man into disarray, and finding out Michael betrayed him was all too much for him. Obviously if someone's out to kill them, more specifically him, you think he's gonna help the guy who wanted him iced by the F.I.B for "A Way Out?". Trevor at the time felt hurt, anger, resentment, and above all else..betrayed by who he once called his best friend, his brother for life. So yeah I love Michael his story was nothing but deep and so realistic to current issues regarding men "in the life" with families. Although in your argument, Mikey's betrayal was far worse than Trevor's, besides, at least he told Franklin the whole honest-to-God truth about the situation, something Michael has YET to completely reveal to Franklin.

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Till the end of the storyline, it is clear Michael never learned his lesson. If you play as Franklin during the escape in Big Score Obvious, during the police pursuit and while the stars are blinking, he says.. well..

Just replay this mission in this manner and you'll find out exactly why I pointed out he hasn't changed, after all that happened in the previous missions.

I still love him though he may have been a boring character without a family.

I hate Trevor to the deepest so I'm not even going to give him an image ge doesn't deserve.

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

I assume your talking if we die Trevor gets our cut. Remember their not getting along that well at this point as Trevor is still upset about Brad. So it sets up for one of them to die ( a and b ) or they make up and put the past behind them © or I've got you wrong and your talking about something else

GustavoMota
  • GustavoMota

Whatchu want, some wheels?

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

Secondly, how is Trevor more unlikeable than Michael. Michael causes just as much destruction and chaos as Trevor does and he knows it. 

Trevor kills for no reason, Michael doesn't. Michael wouldn't stomp a guy's skull in because he had the audacity to tell him to stop f*cking his girlfriend.

greenrock
  • greenrock

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:50 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 23 August 2014 - 08:53 PM. Topic merged into existing thread

Topic merged into existing thread

so Michael had to do what he did, backstab/betray Trevor

i mean come on, Michael had to do it, to protect his family, something alot of you people earlier on saying "michael is a rat" don't understand

besides Brad and Trevor were getting ready to backstab Michael anyways

the reason i like Michael is that he wasn't perfect like Franklin

• Personal likes this

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:07 AM

I watched Ending A again and it really is super good. Michael's emotion feels so raw.

It's a horrible ending of course in terms of the greater story and would be far too short/sudden/unbelievable. But it's a super well done scene and Michael's emotion and character is shown on such a deep level

Topic merged into existing thread

so Michael had to do what he did, backstab/betray Trevor

i mean come on, Michael had to do it, to protect his family, something alot of you people earlier on saying "michael is a rat" don't understand

besides Brad and Trevor were getting ready to backstab Michael anyways

the reason i like Michael is that he wasn't perfect like Franklin

based on what? ... genuinely curious I can't recall any reference to any sort of backstab plan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users