Michael Discussion (Spoilers)

37 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I guess here we talk all things about Michael. I'll start.

I don't know why people hate Michael so much and their only reason is "he stabbed the backs of his friends and got Brad killed". For one, I don't think it was his intentions to get Brad or Trevor killed, but rather simply fake his death and unofficially go into the witness protection and "leave the game" with his family. I mean hell, if you were in the same situation, got a family and running with crazy dudes, you probably would've done the same. 

• theNGclan, ToyGT_one, theGTAking101 and 2 others like this

CasualSergiu
  • CasualSergiu

Cliché

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 weeks ago

I found Michael as a rather deeper character (compared to the rest). I can relate to him when it comes to one thing, depressed as f*ck.

• fac316, Dr. Robotnik, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

I feel bad for Michael. He always trying to. Be happy but never really is. Bit like all of us
  • _Kindled_ and doggydude98 like this

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

Michael was the anti-GTA protagonist, he has everything. Money, a mansion, nice cars. Except that was all bullsh*t, he doesn't. The only thing he has when you start the game is a nice safehouse (who cares). But there's no nice cars or money, you have to work hard for the money as for some reason super-rich Michael has none when you start the game. I thought his character was good, especially the whole mid-life crisis thing and his relationship with his family. Michael is a bad parent, but not a terrible person. He gave up his life of crime and his best friend for him and his family so they could have a nicer life in Los Santos, and I think the whole plot of why Michael get's back into heists very reminiscent of a Simpsons episode, it starts with something small (Pulling down Tennis Coach/Madrazos house) which then turns into doing heists to make back money then finding Franklin and reuniting with Trevor, the story goes so out of control and ridiculous you forget how it all started in the first place. Overall I liked Michaels character, but playing as a fat, aging man isn't the most appealing for a GTA character.

• Luddite and fac316 like this

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Sofa, 2 weeks ago.

I never hate on fiction, but i do nitpick because of my inflated sense of selfimportance!

Michael is the "classic" version of douchebag, dresses well, and generally conforms to norms, if only superficially, while an obvious contrived ego masking an insecure personality. Seems like he is conceived from his taste in movies. Although the archetype is not my favorite, i have nothing against the character of michael itself. I think michael is the most credible(as in down to earth, reality is unrealistic in fiction)of the protagonists. But he doesn't make me laugh, his jokes are inline with archetype, stale and predictable. "Liking" is so subjective, i'm unable to settle on fictional characters with just like or dislike.

The other two in comparison can look flatter at glance, but have more flexibility. Trevor is the "dumbster dystopian" version, not a single sh*t is given, plenty are thrown, anything seemingly inline with norms are to be despised, not envied.... And frank? I don't get this guy.... Good driver i reckon. Intentionally flat to enable player projection?
  • Luddite likes this

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Lee Everett, 2 weeks ago.

He had a deal with a government agent, Brad gets arrested and Trevor gets killed and used as a cover up for Michael's fake death in return Michael pays a large sum of money monthly to keep this agent happy. Trevor was too big of a problem, he was in many people's opinions an explosion waiting to happen. Michael saw the opportunity to get out through Dave Norton. They set up a "sting"; a fake robbery. But things went bad and the wrong man got killed (Brad). Either way the plan continued, Michael was set up with a new identity and his fake funeral still took place except this time with Brad in the coffin.

Don't get me wrong Michael is no saint and I get why many people dislike his character. He took the easy way out, and set up his friends in order to live a new life...But, Michael is still my favorite protagonist in GTA V. In a real world situation how many people would have made the "right" choice (rhetorical question as there is none..). This was an accident waiting to happen, and they would have gotten caught, the question is when. Michael took the easy way out, yes. But what other way was there?

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Prankster

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

I like how he is written from the perspective of a GTA character who basically has already "Won", but still can't settle down.

Capital
  • Capital

Generic Goon

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 weeks ago

He had a deal with a government agent, Brad gets arrested and Trevor gets killed and used as a cover up for Michael's fake death in return Michael pays a large sum of money monthly to keep this agent happy. Trevor was too big of a problem, he was in many people's opinions an explosion waiting to happen. Michael saw the opportunity to get out through Dave Norton. They set up a "sting"; a fake robbery. But things went bad and the wrong man got killed (Brad). Either way the plan continued, Michael was set up with a new identity and his fake funeral still took place except this time with Brad in the coffin.

Don't get me wrong Michael is no saint and I get why many people dislike his character. He took the easy way out, and set up his friends in order to live a new life...But, Michael is still my favorite protagonist in GTA V. In a real world situation how many people would have made the "right" choice (rhetorical question as there is none..). This was an accident waiting to happen, and they would have gotten caught, the question is when. Michael took the easy way out, yes. But what other way was there?

I still wonder how the police ended up raiding the robbery, as Michael said 'It ain't supposed to go down like this!'

I wonder how it did end up going down like that. But there's not really an answer to that in the story. (And likely there won't be)

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

I thought Trevor was meant to get killed by that police sniper in North Yankton, but Brad gets hit instead because he walks in front of Trevor. (If I remember correctly)

I think in his glory days, Mike was much more Mwntally unhinged, much more ruthless, killing his best friend for freedom, is pretty f*cked up.

But in his later years he realises his problems, and I think a little part of him was happy when Trevor returned, look at the instant rapport, and connection when he returns.

Of course, this all just fan interpretation.
  • Cutter De Blanc and Dr. Robotnik like this

doggydude98
  • doggydude98

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

I loved Michael, he was one of my favourite pro tags

liquidussnake119
  • liquidussnake119

Bitcher and Moaner

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by liquidussnake119, 2 weeks ago.

They made it pretty clear that Brad and Trevor were supposed to go down one way or another.  That was part of his deal.

Michael is just as bad as the other two.  I don't hate him, I actually love him, but I do hate how people seem to defend his actions when they were pretty sh*tty.

Phoenix_Shit
  • Phoenix_Shit

Hey

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 2 weeks ago.

I loved Michael, he is one of my top GTA Characters. His background is more solid than any past protagonist, and its f*cking BAD ASS. I mean robbing banks for a living? Come on, thats not easy. + as you said Universaltwisters, he was in fact put in a tough situation. f*cking dave would have arrested him anyways, so he had no choice. And all he wanted to do afterwards was raise a normal family, but could not because his annoying kids and wife turned on him because of his criminal background. I mean yes, ofc being a criminal is bad, there is nothing good about it.. But think what Michael had to go through in his childhood, maybe society did screw him. Maybe not. All and all, it was the people around Michael that broke him down. I would choose Michael over Franklin, Trevor and all the characters in GTA V any time.

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by SFPD officer, 2 weeks ago.

I still wonder how the police ended up raiding the robbery, as Michael said 'It ain't supposed to go down like this!'

I wonder how it did end up going down like that. But there's not really an answer to that in the story. (And likely there won't be)

Dave mentions that "there were more eyes on that town that there needed to be". I assume someone other than FIB (Local PD? Sheriff?) got wind of the planned score and rolled in, not knowing it was FIB set up all along. Michael's crew was supposed to be notorious, so it makes sense for someone other than just Dave to be on their case.

Anyway, Michael is my favorite protagonist in V and probably even my favorite GTA protagonist overall. I actually like that he isn't perfect, that he's a lying, hypocritical egoist. The fact that despite so many negative character traits, he still won me over and I genuinely rooted for him, shows how good character he is.

• archiebunker, Dr. Robotnik, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

The Killer Hills Killer

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 2 weeks ago

I wanna see more Michael Townley, badass hillbilly bank robber, and less Michael De Santa, egotistical douchebag LS prick.

• Luddite, Darth_Starkiller, OneManCrimeWave and 1 other like this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

He never tells him the full story about north Yankton. Abandoned Frank depending what approach you pick in the buaru heist. But he does throw him on the train before himself in the paloto score so its kinda half and half he defiantly trusts him more than Trevor. I like this kinda stuff really plays into Michaels character

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think it's pretty safe to say that Michael only really trusts himself, everyone else is a vessel for his actions - they serve his purposes, but he doesn't give a damn about anyone. Because he's a complete arsehole. 

Case in point - when you cut to Michael when he's worked with Solomon - telling the security guard that he's 'the boss and you better not forget it'  or words to that effect. What a c*nt. 

• Cutter De Blanc and OneManCrimeWave like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Abandoned Frank depending what approach you pick in the buaru heist

I don't remember him abandoning Frank in that heist. Which approach was it?

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Like for Michelangelo!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

N8vLZBA.png

I like his chin

• Choco Taco and universetwisters like this

ShadyNexus
  • ShadyNexus

The Blade of the Void

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I prefer my protagonists starting from the bottom and not actually having everything from the start.

*COUGH*Carl Johnson*
*COUGH*Claude
*COUGH*Tommy Vercetti
*COUGH*Franklin Clinton

• Choco Taco and fac316 like this

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

To me, it appeared that Michael (and the rest of the crew) "abandoning" Frank was an accident. They assumed F was right behind them until they realized he wasn't.

fac316
  • fac316

Hustler

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

My guess is Dave being the inept FIB agent prolly tipped the cops. I loved Mike b/c it shows even w/ the big house/money you can still be miserable.

I prefer my protagonists starting from the bottom and not actually having everything from the start.

*COUGH*Carl Johnson*
*COUGH*Claude
*COUGH*Tommy Vercetti
*COUGH*Franklin Clinton

No Niko? all he had was tht crappy roach-infested apartment. Mike was a change of pace, a protag who has everything on the surface yet still hates his life + he was the "betrayer" (something that usually happens when you'd leave the 1st island of a gta).

• theNGclan and Darth_Starkiller like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

My guess is Dave being the inept FIB agent prolly tipped the cops. I loved Mike b/c it shows even w/ the big house/money you can still be miserable.

Or the bank Michael robbed had it's own security system that triggered the cops.

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

if you were in the same situation, got a family and running with crazy dudes, you probably would've done the same. 

thats the thing his ass should have stayed away from the crazy people in the first place let this be a lesson

I feel bad for Michael. He always trying to. Be happy but never really is. Bit like all of us

kinda sad how people make it out to say leave Michael alone.... he had a family

but what about all those cops he killed? I'm sure they had families too

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

if you were in the same situation, got a family and running with crazy dudes, you probably would've done the same. 

thats the thing his ass should have stayed away from the crazy people in the first place let this be a lesson

Maybe he didn't expect to have a family, or the dudes he ran with to become as crazy as they did to begin with?

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

Yo, Mr White!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Michael has always been the best character to me. He was my favorite even before the game came out, I liked his look the best, and the road they were looking to go down with his character. I like characters with another layer to them, Michael was that type of character and pretty deep. At times you weren't sure whether to root for him, because of all of the sh*t he did in the past. But then you look at it from his perspective, and you see how unhinged Trevor is.

He ain't no saint, but it pissed me off a lot how Michael got treated by his family a lot of time. He actually seemed to be trying to make things right when we are introduced to him. 

Out of the three protagonists, I like his style the best wearing suits, and I also like that he reminds me a lot of Tommy Vercetti. He has a pretty similar look and they were both pretty badass.

• theNGclan likes this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

Went into the game expecting to relate to him as he is my age. Problem is that he is still a child. He goes off half-cocked at the drop of a hat. He is muy uncool.

On a side note: Playing RedDead again...and I first thought of it when Marston says he was shot and left for dead. This made me think of Michael.

Then later Dutch makes the remarks about hou he married a whore and I totally flashed to Trev/Micheal.

There are other similarities even beyond the dead-eye.

fac316
  • fac316

Hustler

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

Michael has always been the best character to me. He was my favorite even before the game came out, I liked his look the best, and the road they were looking to go down with his character. I like characters with another layer to them, Michael was that type of character and pretty deep. At times you weren't sure whether to root for him, because of all of the sh*t he did in the past. But then you look at it from his perspective, and you see how unhinged Trevor is.

He ain't no saint, but it pissed me off a lot how Michael got treated by his family a lot of time. He actually seemed to be trying to make things right when we are introduced to him. 

Out of the three protagonists, I like his style the best wearing suits, and I also like that he reminds me a lot of Tommy Vercetti. He has a pretty similar look and they were both pretty badass.

That's my only problem w/ him as a character....his cringe-worthy family. Trev's and Frank's buddies are at least entertaining (wade, ron, Lamar) but its like in that mission where you save Mike's fam from Merryweather I musta killed them all about 50x

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

*COUGH*Carl Johnson*
*COUGH*Claude
*COUGH*Tommy Vercetti
*COUGH*Franklin Clinton

That's nice dear. So, we'll just do it your way from now on, right?

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by kevin de santa, 2 weeks ago.

Lol at shady nexus anyway he leaves him behind on the mopping approach I think its called the buaru raid?

JetsRLove
  • JetsRLove

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

When you pick the loud approach Lester says that Michael is still a hothead meaning he was probably as crazy as Trevor but didn't show it as much as him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users