WoodenDiamond71
  • WoodenDiamond71

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

This is my rig : HERE

I have installed:

- XFX RADEON R7750 Core Edition (2GB DDR3) graphics card. It's a PCI express 3.0 card.

What else must i upgrade to get more frames? It usually runs around (15-20fps) but drops when it wants to.

I do have a trainer installed as well as a complete vehicle texture pack.

Thanks!

• unc13bud likes this

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 2 weeks ago

Do you have a legit copy of GTA IV or not?
  • unc13bud likes this

WoodenDiamond71
  • WoodenDiamond71

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yes, i have the disc version.

• unc13bud likes this

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hmmm,,,,  I don't know about AMD processors much... But with the GPU you would buy and other config, It should run on Med-High settings with 30-60 fps without problem. ;) (If you turn off VSYNC then the game will exceed 30 FPS and even reach more than 60 FPS resulting in Screen-Tearing.)

• unc13bud likes this

WandererNiko
  • WandererNiko

Wanderer

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 2 weeks ago

Maybe you can try the windowed mode, it might run a little bit faster.

Go to C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV (by default)
Create a text file called "commandline.txt" or "commandline" (without quotes)
Add inside the text file this: "-windowed" (without quotes)
Save the text file. 
Lauch GTA IV.
Or I think that you've to write -windowed opening Properties in the launcher of GTA IV, I can't remember well.

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 2 weeks ago

Dude.. He said he would upgrade his GPU to an HD7750. So why bother him in running it in windowed mode?

Marc79
  • Marc79

Marecki

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Marc79, 2 weeks ago.

That cpu is decent for browsing and youtube, that's as far as it can go, just being honest.  Any gpu is pointless as that cpu will bottleneck modern gpu's.  Might want to look into a decent quadcore as an upgrade.

WoodenDiamond71
  • WoodenDiamond71

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

That cpu is decent for browsing and youtube, that's as far as it can go, just being honest.  Any gpu is pointless as that cpu will bottleneck modern gpu's.  Might want to look into a decent quadcore as an upgrade.

I was looking into a quad core CPU but haven't exactly had the money. Any you can recommend for my pc?

Dude.. He said he would upgrade his GPU to an HD7750. So why bother him in running it in windowed mode?

I have that gpu installed already. My issue is the CPU. I need to upgrade to at least a quad core

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by unc13bud, 2 weeks ago.

original poster, you have INSTALLED MODIFICATIONS TO THE GAME, this is your main problem, not the computer system - i have gotten 25-30fps on every dual core system i have installed gta iv on. that computer is enough to run gta iv

texture packs use a lot more resources than just regular plain gta. plus you posted this question in the regular gta iv pc performance forum, NOT THE MODDED GTA IV forum. you probably have your other settings too high also - you could buy\installed quad core CPU and it still not be enough to cope with the code bloat

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 2 weeks ago

I have that gpu installed already. My issue is the CPU. I need to upgrade to at least a quad core

Exactly. And that too a Processor with AM3+ socket. Because your Motherboard supports only that socket for Processors.

WoodenDiamond71
  • WoodenDiamond71

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

original poster, you have INSTALLED MODIFICATIONS TO THE GAME, this is your main problem, not the computer system - i have gotten 25-30fps on every dual core system i have installed gta iv on. that computer is enough to run gta iv

texture packs use a lot more resources than just regular plain gta. plus you posted this question in the regular gta iv pc performance forum, NOT THE MODDED GTA IV forum. you probably have your other settings too high also - you could buy\installed quad core CPU and it still not be enough to cope with the code bloat

My apologies on posting this in the wrong section. I finally realize that my PC can run this game fine without the texture pack. You're saying that upgrading my CPU to a quad-core CPU will not make a difference?

Exactly. And that too a Processor with AM3+ socket. Because your Motherboard supports only that socket for Processors.

Can you recommend a CPU for me?

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 2 weeks ago

Use Google. I ain't familiar with AMD processors. Because I own Intel myself.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Can you recommend a CPU for me?

Yeah, the problem is that you're using a pretty dated PC.

You can get an AMD Phenom II X4 CPU. It's a quad core that's on par with a first gen i5. The problem is, I don't know where you're gonna get one. They've been out of production for awhile.

And to be honest, I think you might be better off buying a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM to go along with your new video card.

You're going to need at least 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 3GHz quad core CPU to play GTA IV on high-to very high settings at a locked 30 fps (I find that way better than have it at 60 and drop to 40 sometimes).

Tell me how much money you have/want to spend and I will tell you what you can buy. It might be a bit o challenge though because the case you have is not made for good airflow.

I think you'd be better off building a new PC from scratch instead of trying to upgrade the one you have now.

TLDR; find a used Phenom II X4 955, 965, or 975 along with 2x2GB DDR2 memory (4GB) or 1 stick of 4GB DDR2. It has to be non-ECC and unbuffered. Your best bet is to look on Ebay

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted A week ago

Remember. He has AM3+ Socket in his motherboard.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

No. He has AM2+. That means he cannot get any of the Bulldozer, Piledriver, or Vishera processors.

The computer he has is quite old...it would be better for him to just scrap it and build a new system.

He could use the same case, but it would be terrible for airflow.

• WoodenDiamond71 likes this

WoodenDiamond71
  • WoodenDiamond71

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by WoodenDiamond71, A week ago.

No. He has AM2+. That means he cannot get any of the Bulldozer, Piledriver, or Vishera processors.

The computer he has is quite old...it would be better for him to just scrap it and build a new system.

He could use the same case, but it would be terrible for airflow.

You're right, i was planning on building the pc i have now but will be better off building an entirely new system. Is there a build you may recommend for around $450-$500? I have a 1tb hdd, 600w evga psu, and the xfx radeon R7750 gpu installed on the current build so i dont have to worry about these parts.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

That's perfect if you already have those. I can suggest good parts for you for that price. 

Case: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147161 I think this looks pretty cool, and it has good airflow design. You can choose whichever you want though.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128514

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819113284

RAM: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104446

Total for me comes to $466.87. Might be different for you if you have to pay taxes in your state (I don't have to, and shipping is free).

You can use the DVD ROM that comes with your old computer. It will be just as good. But yeah, this will let you play GTA IV maxed out with more than 30 fps.

If you need anything else, or if I'm forgetting something, let me know

WoodenDiamond71
  • WoodenDiamond71

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

That's perfect if you already have those. I can suggest good parts for you for that price. 

Case: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147161 I think this looks pretty cool, and it has good airflow design. You can choose whichever you want though.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128514

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819113284

RAM: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104446

Total for me comes to $466.87. Might be different for you if you have to pay taxes in your state (I don't have to, and shipping is free).

You can use the DVD ROM that comes with your old computer. It will be just as good. But yeah, this will let you play GTA IV maxed out with more than 30 fps.

If you need anything else, or if I'm forgetting something, let me know

Thank you very much. I will start saving up and build this new rig. Ill keep you updated as i will begin to build it and if i need help i will return to you. Thanks again!

Grove4life5
  • Grove4life5

PC gamer

• New Members
  • Netherlands

Posted A week ago Edited by Grove4life5, A week ago.

I haven't read all comments, but i can tell you that gta IV is a low FPS game even on very good computers like mine, while i can run much more heavy games on max on a good framerate, the game is just made stupid for PC's i can't really explain it good but a friend of mine can, anyways i have my own problem of my PCnot reading the disk so i can't play anyways.

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted A week ago

It is also known as 'Worst optimized game for PC from 2008.' Still, the story is nice.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 4 days ago Edited by unc13bud, 4 days ago.

"I do have a trainer installed as well as a complete vehicle texture pack."

that's your problem. un-install the modifications. you can build computer to these guys specifications and it might still run gta iv crappy BECAUSE OF THE MODIFICATIONS. that computer can run gta iv at medium/low settings at almost any resolution (up to 1080p at least)

edit: oops! i see you un-installed it. yes, with a quad core you probably will be able to run somewhat high settings at 1080p, but still reduce vehicle slider to 1 for math reduction

i definitely don't think you should buy and build new computer to play gta iv, the stock hp fan should run the phenom alright - as its really cooler master CPU fan heastink (my hp/compaq socket 939 fans are anyway)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users