11,301 replies to this topic
Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

Ghetto Star

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia
  • GTAF Premier League Predictions League 2016/2017 [3rd Place]

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

There's been a fair bit of rumour-mongering in Australia over the past year or so that the Stinger will replace the Falcon/Commodore as first-choice for police cruisers for the various forces around the country; I'm not sure where that's progressed recently (there were also suggestions that 5 series BMWs might become first choice as well), but everything I've seen about the Stinger so far (including the pics above) are pretty impressive.

--

General question for you guys. As some of you may remember (I posted a few pics a while back in the Car Photos thread), I own a hunk of junk 2012 Peugeot 208 that has quite literally become a meme of a vehicle, and has served as non-stop cannon fodder for all my car guy friends who give me sh*t, and absolutely no sympathy whatsoever, for the problems I've been suffering. In the past 6 months alone, this is a list of things that have gone haywire and have required replacement/generic issues:

• Front brakes (not too disastrous)
  • Random cylinder misfiring at the most inopportune times (such as peak-hour traffic, or whilst turning onto a freeway on-ramp)... Also went away mysteriously two months after it began
  • Spark plugs and coil pack completely carking themselves 6 months after being replaced at a scheduled service
  • Clogged up air filter
  • Crankshaft and camshaft sensors (thank God my bloody timing chain didn't need replacement...)
  • Thermostat housing block

My latest issue is that coolant seems to be completely draining itself from somewhere in the engine. And when I mean draining, I don't mean a slight trickle; I'm talking Niagara Falls after a hurricane. I got the car up onto a jack last week and we tried to see where exactly the leak was coming from, and it seems to be draining straight from the water pump. We put some of that anti-coolant leak sludge through the radiator intake to see if it would work; it stopped the leaking whilst the car was off, and after driving up and down the street for 3 or so minutes, it seemed to be working, but after we parked the car again, the leak started to cascade... Until we turned the engine off, when the leak stopped again.

The question I have is, given the symptoms, is it most likely definitely going to be a bust-up with the water pump? Could it be an issue with a hose? Another part of the radiator/cooling system? I'm on the verge of selling the car, but I refuse to sell the car for scrap parts, because I know that, if driveable, the car could command $7 or $8k (a dealer offered me $1.5k with the current water pump issue, told him to eat a lemon), and replacing the water pump itself is not too much of a hassle (luckily it's easy to access). I just don't want to waste the time, effort and cash on replacing it, only to completely misdiagnose the issue altogether. I've searched a bit around Google, but there don't seem to be specific examples of 208s which have broken water pumps online from what I've found. And the symptoms I know of a broken water pump can also apply to some other things going wrong too (stuffed head gaskets maybe?)

My problems have frustrated me to the point where I almost wish someone would crash the thing in the middle of the night so I can get an insurance payout, I do not want it any more. But obviously I want to get it into the most driveable condition possible for a trade-in, and given the amount of money I've already forked out to mechanics over the past 6 months, my level of trust in their diagnosis has started to wear pretty thin lol. Any advice/guidance appreciated!

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

Hello, i hope i'm not OT. my question is mainly for LA citizens. is the Maybach a car you can see sometimes in LA rich neighborhoods. i can't find a good Rolls or Bentley for super diamond replacement. so i think of using a Maybach

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the offer man, I really appreciate it. If you don't mind my asking, whereabouts in Texas are you located? My wife is from the Houston area, about 15 mins drive from the Johnson Space Centre. We'll actually be going back to Texas for her friend's wedding in July, but that will be in either Austin or San Antonio.

Also, nice C63! What sort of MPG are you getting on it? No doubt you will soon be well acquainted with your local gas stations XD. I average about 11mpg in my G500 and I can't imagine your C63 with a naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 will do much better lol, especially not if you have a lead foot like me!

Hey man!

I live in San Antonio, but I'm taking some time off from work for the next few months, so I'm free to go wherever in Tx to inspect a car for you. If something pops up it's probably best to email me and let me know. I had to use a secondary email when I signed up here, as gtaf wouldn't let me register with my original email I used back in '03. That, fyi is catch phat bastard at hotmail, no spaces, obviously. ;)

If you're in town and want to grab a beer, lemme know!

Hahahaha, the car's fast and fun and about the only thing it can't outrun is a gas pump! I'd suspect it's somewhere around what you're getting, but I'm afraid to look. :D I appreciate the kind words, too. Thanks bro! Got the trans service, oil changed, brake fluid changed, new coolant hoses, and battery done at the dealer. (I hate all things fluids.) Collecting quite a few parts to put on in the upcoming weeks, most for longevity and service. Couldn't be happier, though. It seems solid.

Best of luck on that search!! :)

Hello, i hope i'm not OT. my question is mainly for LA citizens. is the Maybach a car you can see sometimes in LA rich neighborhoods. i can't find a good Rolls or Bentley for super diamond replacement. so i think of using a Maybach

If you're talking about the true Maybachs, and not a rebranded S-class, while the buy in is attractive at their current price point, their replacement parts are a little....expensive. For example do a price check on an alternator. I found that a lot of people are buying two. One for their driver, and another for their parts car. It's cheaper that way.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Ännu en dag, ännu ett slag, i betongens krävande skugga

• European-Union
  • Best Poster in Debates 2017
    Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

It's the new year, and with 2018 comes a new car for me.
Just booked my first test drive- a 25k mile, 2015 Mercedes A45 AMG in Orient Bronze. No AMG body kit, but 19" wheels (although I'll probably replace with 18" ones).

9gzjmv.jpg

Suffice to say, pretty excited.
Also trying an M135i/M140i and a few other things later in the month.
  • Outcast, El Dildo, Tchuck and 5 others like this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

No RS3 comparison? 

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Not really sold on the RS3. They're absolute theft magnets too, much worse than its competitors Golf R excepted. I also want something a bit more discrete if I'm buying a hot hatch, and the AMG without the optional body kit looks nigh on identical to an A180d with the sport kit.
  • Outcast and Affalterbach like this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:15 AM

Anyone at Autosport International in Birmingham? We're here with the AST/Moton team

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:12 AM Edited by Adrenalist, 13 January 2018 - 06:15 AM.

Some thoughts on the c63 at high speeds:

The rebound is set primarily at lower/mid-speed, and the compression is primarily at higher/mid speed. Imho.

That's just playing with the stock settings at s+/tc off.

When you're hitting the spd limiter, it quickly sinks in that suspension tuning wasn't a parameter at these speeds.

The back end seems bouyent. The front end is responsive, yet at dips floaty, and it's like the aerodynamics are fighting against the two.

Edge of the envelope should never be given to this car. Unless it's tapping your balls against some low end grunt, doing a few impressive traffic laden launches, and a few mid-speed jaunts to entertain a few mechaphiles. It's not a car to explore the outer edges of it's ability. In fact, it seems quite the antithesis. The suspension firstly needs to be dialed in, but, and this is coming from an ignorant mind, I'm not quite sure the chassis can keep up with the pure principle of a focused machine. I think the chassis needs to be dialed in, and that's wherein the bigger problems lie. Not that I wouldn't want to try. It's just that's the greater instability.

Ultimately, on the c63, I think this wick is half the diameter of the wax.

Could be a good thing. Could be a great thing. Could be a poor thing. It's all dependent on the driver's cognizance.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Need to get some ASTs or Motons on your C63 ;)

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

Had my first snow driving today, have no idea if I'm parked in the right place but I can't see f*ck all.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Ghetto Star

• Facade Corporation
  • Brazil

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Snow driving seems quite fun, except for the optional 'understeering into lightpoles' part.

It's just a shame everybody in my area forgets how to drive when a single drop of water hits the road.

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

Aspiring Film Director

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:52 AM

Toyota Question:

Should i buy This Tercel 4WD Wagon as a Project Car?

The current owner is desperate to get it off his front yard to the point that he's giving it away for Free

Pic of the car for attention

26685878_10213515318429172_7308526002928

It's more of a Project car :p

If i do decide to get it, Should i make it Stanced Or Lifted for Off-road?

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:52 AM

Buy it? No. You should ask for some money to take it off his hands. Looking at the rust on that thing, you'll have a hell of a lot of work to get it in decent condition, providing any of it is usable. You'd be better off building your own car from scratch.

• Outcast and Flachbau like this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

I agree you'd be better off without having to deal with all that rust. 

• Tchuck likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

Tested a couple of cars today.

A45 AMG (the bronze one I've previously posted). Incredible performance and a lovely place to be (fantastic seats), but frankly it didn't really gel. Ride was pretty crashy. Quite liked the pops and bangs. Dealer seemed more interested in selling me PCP than actually finding out what I wanted. Testing again on Friday but not that impressed overall. They seem desperate to sell the thing. Knocked another £500 off the list price this week.

M235i- I wanted to test an M135i or M140i but they'd sold the last car in stock they had. So tested an M235i instead. Aside from Oyster leather perfect spec. Much less "sporty" inside but still a really nice place to be. Didn't feel that much slower but my word, so much nicer to drive. Better ride, even with runflats. And someone had specced the limited slip diff! BMW dealer was fantastic.

Testing again next week as there's an M140i coming into stock. As long as the 1 drives like the 2 them pretty set on the BMW.
  • el carlitos and Affalterbach like this

el carlitos
  • el carlitos

Less luxury, more urban style

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:30 AM Edited by el carlitos, 26 January 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Toyota Question:

The current owner is desperate to get it off his front yard to the point that he's giving it away for Free

26685878_10213515318429172_7308526002928

Do you like the car? If yes, go get it.

Don´t put to much effort in it. The cost and time is not worth for such car. It will not be a real classic even in best conditions.

I wouldn't even touch the body. Repair the engine, suspension, all safety relevant. After I would stance it and add some nice rims and thats it. Maybe add an air ride, if you have the budget.

In fact this would be a nice style.

Example what I mean. I like it.

hdlww300l4t.png

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:11 PM Edited by DangerZ0neX, 26 January 2018 - 03:14 PM.

Gah, this is bullsh*t.

A Skoda dealership was supposed to be opened up and running this New Year's in my city, but it's been nearly a month since the promised grand opening and they're still closed. A security guard of another dealership told me they haven't opened because of some issue with the General Directorate of Civil Defense. He doesn't know what is the exact issue, but he's guessing it's with the legal paperwork.

I'm not sure if the dealership will finish with the issue soon, they already have a Superb and a couple of Octavias proped inside the dealership with an accessories section and everything. Even the workshop in the back of the building has its light turned on.

This is a shame, the Skoda Octavia is just the right car for me.

• anus likes this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Toyota Question:

2hrfy1g.png

Seriously, you should get paid just to look at it.

• Tchuck, Flachbau, Pavle and 2 others like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

More news on the mad Merc

They seem desperate to sell the thing. Knocked another £500 off the list price this week.

They've knocked another two grand off the list price tonight. At this kind of price, it's starting to look a bit more appealing, if nothing else than for the ridiculous all-weather capability. Especially if I can find somewhere that will do a heated seat retrofit.

My test drives yesterday and today got cancelled; yesterday due to a flat on the M135i, and today due to me being in back-to-back meetings. I've got back-to-back drives on Monday and it's due to piss it down, so will be interesting to see how the BMW handles the wet.
  • Outcast and Tchuck like this

anus
  • anus

nihil timendum est

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

If I was in the market for a used grand tourer that is reliable and has lots of parts for non-exorbitant prices, what would you guys recommend?

Would a W208 CLK320 with around 150,000 kms on the clock fit what I need? Or would an E46 320ci be better? How about an Alfa GT?

I really wanted to get a late model LS400 (even though it's a sedan) but I've heard that the age can be an issue with a lot of parts needing to be replaced.

How reliable are post 2000s Alfas really btw? I've heard horror stories about them but they look so damn beautiful..

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Alfa suffer from the "Friday car" syndrome. Maybe 80% of any model of their cars are perfect fine, no less reliable than their German competitors. But the remaining 20% are dreadful parts bin specials that fall apart at the merest glance.

The GT and earlier GTV are great cars, particularly in 3.2 Busso form. I've never been a big fan of the TS engines, they're peppy and sound good for four bangers but 30k cambelt changes and electrical oddness is non ideal.

Both have supply problems with some parts, particularly body panels, either on long back order or NLA from Alfa.

The 320Ci (assume you mean an E46 here) is a perfectly adequate motorway cruiser but isn't going to set the world on fire in performance terms. They're getting old now, and lots are non enthusiast owned so have been ragged or otherwise mistreated.

If you can get a good W208 they're quite a catch, but they come from the era of the absolute worst era of Mercedes quality control. Many have rusted to oblivion and electrical issues are common. I'm not sure if the 320 208s are affected by the same issues as earlier 350 209s, but these had balancer shaft problems that at worst required an entire short block replacement at massive cost.

I'd love a GT or GTV.
  • anus likes this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:25 AM

The pictures won't do any justice, for the merc, looks awesome face to face.

anus
  • anus

nihil timendum est

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

Alfa suffer from the "Friday car" syndrome. Maybe 80% of any model of their cars are perfect fine, no less reliable than their German competitors. But the remaining 20% are dreadful parts bin specials that fall apart at the merest glance.

The GT and earlier GTV are great cars, particularly in 3.2 Busso form. I've never been a big fan of the TS engines, they're peppy and sound good for four bangers but 30k cambelt changes and electrical oddness is non ideal.

Both have supply problems with some parts, particularly body panels, either on long back order or NLA from Alfa.

The 320Ci (assume you mean an E46 here) is a perfectly adequate motorway cruiser but isn't going to set the world on fire in performance terms. They're getting old now, and lots are non enthusiast owned so have been ragged or otherwise mistreated.

If you can get a good W208 they're quite a catch, but they come from the era of the absolute worst era of Mercedes quality control. Many have rusted to oblivion and electrical issues are common. I'm not sure if the 320 208s are affected by the same issues as earlier 350 209s, but these had balancer shaft problems that at worst required an entire short block replacement at massive cost.

I'd love a GT or GTV.

Thanks for that. man. Nice, detailed response. Exactly what I was after.

I don't know if this is an Australia thing but there's heaps of very well maintained W208 CLK320s floating around for VERY decent prices (I've seen a couple that are sub $10,000 AUD). That block replacement thing made my wallet hurt so I'm definitely going to do some research on that.

So glad to hear that about Alfas btw. I f*cking love their designs so much. I'm with you on the GT and GTV, they're gorgeous.

Are there any good Japanese options that meet my needs do you think? With how Japan kinda went full on econobox/family car mode after the 2000s it's hard to think of many examples. The 90s had heaps of good options like the LS400, Celsior, etc. but I've heard they're just too old now and need lots of attention.

• sivispacem likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

Having done a bit of digging into the the 320s, they use the older M112 engine which doesn't seem to suffer from the same issues as the later M272. It's mostly rust you need to worry about- the usual spots are wheel arches, outer door skins and boot lids, but some do experience rust in really strange and somewhat concerning places like on the windscreen frame, rear subframe mounts. People argue about the exact cause, whether it was extensive use of cheaper, poor quality steel imported from placed like Sub-Saharan Africa during the 1990s and 2000s, or the transition from solvent-based to water-based paint. As long as you're not too coastal, corrosion shouldn't be too much of an issue in Australia I wouldn't expect.

How about something like an earlier Nissan 350Z? They're not exactly refined in the engine department (in fact downright agricultural), but they make a decent hash of being a comfy GT and are a generation newer than the W208 or E46, both of which were in production from the mid 1990s.
  • anus likes this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

I was out of town yesterday & while cruising around with my father we spotted this on the road lmao

Look at that exhaust though... it's ready to fall off 

26991844_920924608062592_108727094665250

• HeavyDuke likes this

anus
  • anus

nihil timendum est

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Having done a bit of digging into the the 320s, they use the older M112 engine which doesn't seem to suffer from the same issues as the later M272. It's mostly rust you need to worry about- the usual spots are wheel arches, outer door skins and boot lids, but some do experience rust in really strange and somewhat concerning places like on the windscreen frame, rear subframe mounts. People argue about the exact cause, whether it was extensive use of cheaper, poor quality steel imported from placed like Sub-Saharan Africa during the 1990s and 2000s, or the transition from solvent-based to water-based paint. As long as you're not too coastal, corrosion shouldn't be too much of an issue in Australia I wouldn't expect.

How about something like an earlier Nissan 350Z? They're not exactly refined in the engine department (in fact downright agricultural), but they make a decent hash of being a comfy GT and are a generation newer than the W208 or E46, both of which were in production from the mid 1990s.

I'll definitely watch out for rust if I ever decide on a 320, but tbh, going by what you said about their performance and doing a bit of reading myself, I haven't heard much good about them performance wise. Seems like the equivalent of getting a lower end Merc that's not a Kompressor. Seems more like a coupe than a grand tourer at that point..

The 350Z is definitely a sexy car (even though I'm a bit partial to the 370 myself), but they're kind of played out here. You see heaps of them roaming about. That's why I was considering an LS400. I'm yet to see one IRL, same would go for a Lexus SC tbh.

What do you think of the RX8? I personally would prefer an RX7 but those are super expensive here compared to the RX8. I love me some rotary, only thing I'm concerned about is the comfort because it really doesn't seem like it has the smoothest ride. I'm guessing they're cheap to maintain since they're Mazdas..

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

I always used to slate the RX8 as a torqueless oil drinker but actually having driven one fairly recently (in facelift 231bhp form) I actually thought it was a sweet handling, lovely driving thing.

I don't think I could live with one as a daily though. Definitely not cheap to maintain. 18mpg regardless of how you drive it, plus the ever present fear of hot start issues that signal apex seal blow-by and result in a £2k engine rebuild. Depending on how well they're cared for, and the luck of the draw, that can be as much as 100k miles or as little as about 10k. I don't fancy 10k engine rebuilds.
  • anus likes this

anus
  • anus

nihil timendum est

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:35 PM Edited by anubis., 29 January 2018 - 06:36 PM.

Nice. Seems like my options are pretty much either an Alfa or Merc, definitely not complaining haha,

Which gen CLK wouid you say is pretty reliable? Any thoughts on the Brera?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

The Brera is ruined by the GM sourced 3.2 they put in it to replace the Busso. Godawful engine. TS same as most other Alfa's. They're not very nice to drive. Personally I think the GT us better looking.

If I was buying a CLK, I'd be looking at a facelift W209 CLK500 5.5. Might be a bit out of budget...

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

DP ahoy but two totally different subjects.

The pictures won't do any justice, for the merc, looks awesome face to face.
After a couple of hours behind the wheel of both, I'm totally sold on the M135i. The Merc is just a bit one-dimensional and not really very playful or entertaining. It also doesn't play "big car" cruising well like the BMW, and the gearbox is frankly awful. Incredible seats and marginally faster, but in every other way the BMW has it licked.

So now it's down to sourcing the right car. Estoril Blue 5-door with heated coral leather, 8-speed ZF and HK audio is basically my ideal spec.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users