11,206 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

yeah but that's a different conversation than automation versus manual driving.

we can have both.

I'm always for improving mass transit as it would cut down on all forms of commuter congestion.

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

Great mass transit here in Japan is part of the reason why I went with the MX5. It can simply be my fun car, that I can take on weekends to whenever I want. And then switch to mass transit for regular everyday things.

• El Diablo likes this

turbocharger
  • turbocharger

ne peri na ruke

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:18 AM Edited by turbocharger, 10 August 2017 - 08:39 AM.

Yeah, when rich/well-doing people prefer using public transportation, it's an indicator of a well developed country and vice versa, if poor people prefer driving their own cars to commute, it shows an economical/social anomaly, characteristic for poor countries. Not implying that you're rich, but the fact you own a personal vehicle and still don't mind using mass transit is a great thing. Being able to rely on a bus, metro or whatever to get to work and not be late is a blessing. Just sit back and enjoy, don't have to worry about traffic, finding a parking spot etc.
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

Definitely. Here in Japan, public transportation is accessible to everyone. Because of that, owning cars is extremely affordable too, specially since Japanese tend to take very good care of their stuff, which makes used cars really cheap since people also just prefer to buy brand new for the convenience. Mind you, some people still choose to take the car to work; but not because they need to, but because they want to. That is what a successful mass transit system affords you: the choice to move around on your own terms. It also helps the system here is massively efficient too, with total delay over a year (without counting natural disasters or accidents with people) in the region of the minutes.

• turbocharger and GrudgefromSanAndreas like this

turbocharger
  • turbocharger

ne peri na ruke

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

And here in the winters sometimes I wait a whole hour in the city centre, capital city mind you, for the bus to come, freezing my poor pinky toes off. And when it arrives it's full, not to mention trams. Politicians have enormous payrolls yet everything is dysfunctional here.

I felt so embarassed when Japan donated 50 Toyota RAVs to institutions of Bosnia and Herzegovina sometime this spring. I live across a Toyota dealership, and there they were, white, clean and new. Passing by them for weeks before they were given away, all I could think was how they were going to get ruined and misused real soon. Please don't send any more donations down here, you can't send as much as our corrupt government can steal.
  • Tchuck likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

Interesting to say I've seen the Centenario now. I was not expecting to see one today, still shook!

Average white guy
  • Average white guy

I love the smell of exhaust fumes on cool, frosty mornings.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:38 AM Edited by Average white guy, 18 August 2017 - 03:11 AM.

You could also build mass transit systems within cities. The technology is available right now!

This. Ban cars in dense areas and allow only bicycle and foot traffic, and automated public transportation. Green af.

This I agree on. IMO self-driving vehicles will be the norm in large cities within the next 20 to 30 years. NYC, Chicago, LA etc. need them as soon as possible. Outside of cities I don't see the point in making self-driving mandatory. As everything moves slower and traffic is pretty much a non-issue in small towns.

I don't think self-driving vehicles will be entirely safer, but they will damn well improve travel and productivity in large cities. Also I don't think manual driving will ever truly disappear, at least not for the foreseeable future. I hope at least  :/

• turbocharger likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

You could also build mass transit systems within cities. The technology is available right now!

This. Ban cars in dense areas and allow only bicycle and foot traffic, and automated public transportation. Green af.

This I agree on. IMO self-driving vehicles will be the norm in large cities within the next 20 to 30 years. NYC, Chicago, LA etc. need them as soon as possible. Outside of cities I don't see the point in making self-driving mandatory. As everything moves slower and traffic is pretty much a non-issue in small towns.

I don't think self-driving vehicles will be entirely safer, but they will damn well improve travel and productivity in large cities. Also I don't think manual driving will ever truly disappear, at least not for the foreseeable future. I hope at least  :/

I think we'll still see one or another manual-driven vehicles in cities. It would, also, depend on the city. São Paulo is very old and huge, and the city creates tons of bottlenecks. I don't think even a traffic full of self-driving cars could figure that out. Yes, would be faster, but still slow as hell.

But on the opposite side, people who are in touch (or addicted) to new technologies are the ones more likely to buy self-driving cars in the near-future, when the technology becomes cheaper. That or people who are so busy that commuting takes away much of their work time, and it would reduce the chances of rear-ending because of a distraction a lot.

Also, I see use of self-driving cars for emergency vehicles. Their computers already react faster than humans, and it would make it easier for the crew inside them. An ambulance that drives itself will have one more person to help the patient, and police officers can do their paperwork or something. And if they connect themselves to other self-driving vehicles, they can know the precise location of tons of cars around a city, which we can't.

I also don't see manually-driven cars fading away any time soon, if at all. It could serve as the prologue for a Black Mirror episode tho.

Average white guy
  • Average white guy

I love the smell of exhaust fumes on cool, frosty mornings.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

Yea, self-driving cars will work best in some cities. Specifically cities with clean, easy-to-follow, grid-like street patterns. Eventually all infrastructure will catch up, but that'll be decades from now. 

Eventually the only people who will drive themselves (if the law allows it) will be enthusiasts or self sufficient, anti-big government types. But, since the majority of people view cars as nothing more than Maytag on wheels. Self-driving will become the norm at some point in the future. And with the large number of young people who litter comment sections with comments like: "driving is too dangerous" or "driving is a privilege not a right". The future does not look very bright for car enthusiasts.

I'm just worried that 20 to 30 years from now, we will not have enough clout to keep our freedom to drive. And since public opinion is easily swayed, and many want to "live in the future". Driving may go the way of the buffalo a lot sooner than we'd like.

Now, I do look forward to self-driving tech providing travel for people who cannot drive. Plus it'll keep the cell phone-behind-the-wheel-using douchetard assholes from causing more accidents. Again, I like it, but I don't want it to take over.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:37 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 20 August 2017 - 10:38 PM.

It's still on its testing phases and for the few. Self-driving also poses some dangers that may prevent them from taking over. For example, in a city full of self-driving vehicles, a single person that manages to hack into a vehicle will cause mayhem, if vandals damage or draw over a sign that people may be able to figure out what it is but the car's AI will have a hard time in doing so, or if the car short-circuits it could literally brick itself in an intersection.

It also probably wouldn't be that wise for a government to require all citizens in X area to only buy self-driving cars. Some people depend on cars to work, and they can't afford a new one. They can't sell their current, because who's buying that when you have to buy a self-driving one? This could coast people's jobs, like taxi drivers, causing tens of thousands of people to be unemployed. Not counting people who come from out of town driving and don't want to give up their beloved car to a bus only to visit someone, not counting that some towns don't have the public transportation required for that, and the market crash it would cause on some companies. It wouldn't be a good publicity to say "We've caused thousands of people to be unemployed and we've made our public transportation completelly useless, but hey, less car crashes!' That's why I think, for at last a few decades very few towns around the world would make that move.

And I know how you despise the argument of "before cars, horses were the main way of transportation and now they're a hobby, the same will happen with cars", but some people, mainly in countrysides and small towns, still use horses as transportation, so even if self-driving cars take over, I can still see many communities still using manually-driven cars for centuries to go. As you said, these technologies will probably coexist at least for a while in big cities.

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

remember to fold your side view mirrors while parking on the street / sidewalk / curb w/e

IMG_20170821_164712.jpg

• HeavyDuke likes this

turbocharger
  • turbocharger

ne peri na ruke

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

Weeell no offense, but I guess that's what you get for parking where you shouldn't.

marco6158
  • marco6158

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:22 PM Edited by marco6158, 22 August 2017 - 05:24 PM.

That's not true, I mean not always. I got my left mirror destroyed twice while parked properly in parking spots.

That's what I get for sharing the same country with morons, and for not closing mirrors.

• LevelDockSix likes this

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
    Shania Twain Superfan
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

Weeell no offense, but I guess that's what you get for parking where you shouldn't.

In my street it's permitted to park on the sidewalks. The car is all the way next to the fence, and the street was wide. No way that the other vehicle didn't have any room.

• El Diablo and Tchuck like this

turbocharger
  • turbocharger

ne peri na ruke

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

That's a different story then, my apologies. :D At least your experience serves as a reminder to all of us to fold our mirrors I guess.
  • Pavle likes this

Noale
  • Noale

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NOT OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

I prefer street parking to parking lots. Parking lots is where I got my one and only ding on my car.

Street parking downtown however is a different story. It's basically a demolition derby over there, nowhere is safe.

• El Diablo and Pavle like this

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

I should probably fold my tow mirrors in when I park, since they are basically Dumbo the Elephant ears.  Too bad they aren't power fold (I'm lazy).

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
    Shania Twain Superfan
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

A Citroen C3 was recently in our garage for a fix, and there is only one thing I like on that car, and it's the sideview mirrors. They fold automatically when you lock the door, and unfold when you unlock. I've never seen a car do that before. We even had a car that was half of a  decade newer than it and you had to fold them "mechanically". Not sure about cars from the current year though. Should be implemented.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

My friend's 2013 Ford F150 has the auto fold mirrors that fold when either put in park or shut off (can't remember which).

marco6158
  • marco6158

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

A Citroen C3 was recently in our garage for a fix, and there is only one thing I like on that car, and it's the sideview mirrors. They fold automatically when you lock the door, and unfold when you unlock. I've never seen a car do that before. We even had a car that was half of a  decade newer than it and you had to fold them "mechanically". Not sure about cars from the current year though. Should be implemented.

Lots of cars have them now, I think most C-Segment cars and up, got them for free instead of a paid option. I have yet to see A-Segment cars with those electric mirrors, but recent B-Segment cars have them too from mid tier and up usually. (for example my friend's Clio IV have those)

• Pavle likes this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:14 PM Edited by HeavyDuke, 30 August 2017 - 12:45 PM.

remember to fold your side view mirrors while parking on the street / sidewalk / curb w/e

Easy for you to say. I don't have that luxury.

OjkIlvK.png

Notice there is a chunk missing and the door reflection has a wave in it? Yeah thats thanks to some asshat who hit that mirror. Took along the doors outside with it. Deforming the entire door because it deformed two layers of sheet metal. I had to get another door and mirror partially because of this.

Lock was also broken and the area around it heavly damaged because someone tried to steal the car, which was another reason to replace the door. But the deformation of the outside part of the door it self was the last straw. And boy these doors are hard to find without rust/damage here in europe. Not to mention they are huge and just fitted in the back of my Fiat Punto. Had to drive over 600km total to get a nice set of near mint doors. Which i later found out had production errors which caused them to have push-out dents from faggatory montage of the windows. Seems they did a sluggish job 'door was still plastic sealed from the inside so it was never opened up before'. Good for me i know how to remove dents like that. Otherwise i would have been pissed. 

Painting them as we speak, they are all ready for base/clear now.

k94hNBZ.jpg

fCV7K3F.jpg

Hood has been corrected as well. Had some surface defects/minor dents.

1lFkNc9.jpg

No more now though.

• Pavle and CRAZY AL WARD like this

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

Riding Shotgun In This New Black Deluxo

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Easy for you to say. I don't have that luxury.

OjkIlvK.png

Notice there is a chunk missing and the door reflection has a wave in it? Yeah thats thanks to some asshat who hit that mirror. Took along the doors outside with it. Deforming the entire door because it deformed two layers of sheet metal. I had to get another door and mirror partially because of this.

Lock was also broken and the area around it heavly damaged because someone tried to steal the car, which was another reason to replace the door. But the deformation of the outside part of the door it self was the last straw. And boy these doors are hard to find without rust/damage here in europe. Not to mention they are huge and just fitted in the back of my Fiat Punto. Had to drive over 600km total to get a nice set of near mint doors. Which i later found out had production errors which caused them to have push-out dents from faggatory montage of the windows. Seems they did a sluggish job 'door was still plastic sealed from the inside so it was never opened up before'. Good for me i know how to remove dents like that. Otherwise i would have been pissed. 

Painting them as we speak, they are all ready for base/clear now.

k94hNBZ.jpg

fCV7K3F.jpg

Hood has been corrected as well. Had some surface defects/minor dents.

1lFkNc9.jpg

No more now though.

Am i really the Only person here who saw the photos and instantly thought of a t-top Pontiac Fiero?

Pic for Reference:

formula1.jpg

• HeavyDuke likes this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:16 PM Edited by HeavyDuke, 30 August 2017 - 03:19 PM.

Am i really the Only person here who saw the photos and instantly thought of a t-top Pontiac Fiero?

Pic for Reference:

formula1.jpg

Close lol, thats this car's baby brother. Mine is a 1986 Trans am WS6, which currently is in the final stages of a full rebuilt.

This was before:

tZBZc4r.png

Also i'm expecting the brand new fiberglass rear wing to be done by the end of this week. I'm making good progress. Its going to be really lightweight compared to the old metal/rubber one. No choice but to make one myself. Because Aero wings in europe do about 1400 euro. This one doesn't have a third brake light in it 'only in 1986 they gave it a third brake light option on the rear window', making the design of the wing a little a bit different. 

Now i have a lot of fiberglass work experience so in the end the result will be better then original. lighter and stronger. And i will paint it black. Matches the T top and third brake light.

I'm still have to make my mind up if i'm going to paint the new door protector moldings in the same red as the car it self, or to go with black to match the other black parts like you see on the Fiero image you posted.

• Pavle, CRAZY AL WARD and GrudgefromSanAndreas like this

fast and bulbous squid
  • fast and bulbous squid

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

Probably a total noob question, but do Subaru Imprezas come with tires marked as mud and snow ready? I ask because in California, an awd car with M/S qualified tires can avoid most chain restrictions.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

Goes through you in 3 minutes

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:45 AM

Can a car with a 3-speed transmission reach freeway and interstate speeds? I'm interested in this old Chevy, but it's a 3-speed manual transmission, and I know nothing about 3-speeds.

Noale
  • Noale

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NOT OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:32 AM

I always figured the number of gears doesn't matter, but rather the ratios. And whether you have the horsepower to pick you up to that speed.

Unless it's absolutely ancient, it's likely that the car can reach freeway speeds in top gear.

• InstaNoodles likes this

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

3 speeds usually always have a normal 1:1 direct drive top gear. It's usually just that the gears are really widely spaced and first gear is fairly tall. They're usually just not very performance-oriented. Reaching freeway speeds is more up the final drive. Most are probably fairly tall. The cars that had them are usually fairly poverty-spec so while they'll probably cruise ok at highway speeds, they're still usually dogsh*t slow getting there. 

• InstaNoodles likes this

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:35 AM

So here's what I gathered: a car with a 3-speed transmission will reach freeway speeds, but will take its sweet damn time getting there.

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

So here's what I gathered: a car with a 3-speed transmission will reach freeway speeds, but will take its sweet damn time getting there.

I wouldn't worry about speed at all. Unless its a pre ww2 vehicle you'll be good to go on freeways. It would help a lot more if you would have some more info on the vehicle itself though. There are quite a bit of old chevy's you know bro.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:17 AM

Spoiler

The car I'm looking at is a 1965 Chevrolet Biscayne. It's a 4-door with a I6 engine paired to a 3-speed column shifter. The ad doesn't state the engine displacement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users