11,153 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

yeah this is definitely future talk... but when the day comes for efficient self-piloting cars, most people should voluntarily give up driving anyhow because they f/cking suck it at and make the roads worse. but people who enjoy driving (and are actually good at it) will hopefully be allowed to maintain their road sovereignty with their own permit or special license.

I don't ever want to stop driving.

• Original Light and turbocharger like this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

Install a racing video game in your future self-driving car so you can drive while it drives.

• El Diablo likes this

Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

I at least want to go on a long road trip in a classic car before that ever happens - which it hopefully doesn't in my lifetime. 

• turbocharger likes this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:03 PM Edited by AiŽaŠobŽa, 24 May 2017 - 02:48 PM.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

yeah this is definitely future talk... but when the day comes for efficient self-piloting cars, most people should voluntarily give up driving anyhow because they f/cking suck it at and make the roads worse. but people who enjoy driving (and are actually good at it) will hopefully be allowed to maintain their road sovereignty with their own permit or special license.

Back in 2004, in the movie "Yo, Robot", we could see how driving manually was considered "dangerous" and "out of question". 13 years later and we are starting to get there... It's a shame honestly.

• turbocharger likes this

Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:59 PM Edited by Original Light, 06 May 2017 - 11:02 PM.

Back in 2004, in the movie "Yo, Robot", we could see how driving manually was considered "dangerous" and "out of question". 13 years later and we are starting to get there... It's a shame honestly.

Not to drag this topic too far off (although maybe that's what it's intended for), but I don't think we have to worry about that for a long time, hopefully not even in our lifetime. BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, Mazda, and other major automakers have already stated that they always intend to offer a steering wheel in their models and believe that autonomy should be a choice. They also want to introduce more semi-autonomous features to aid human driving and make it safer. They already realize that they wouldn't exist in the future if they didn't offer people the choice. Otherwise, there would be no difference if every car on the road is a round blob. Nobody would care if it's a BMW or a Toyota.

turbocharger
  • turbocharger

stisni pisni, pusti zviždi

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

Long story short, f*ck self driving and electric cars.
  • Original Light, Average white guy, SouthLand and 2 others like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

I mean, I wouldn't say "f/ck" them, because they will invariably save many lives and improve the quality of road travel...

but I want the option to take control and drive manually, too.

even if it means I had to take additional tests or maintain an extra license.

• Tchuck, Average white guy, Android and 2 others like this

Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:01 PM

I really like this article, and it basically calms me down when I have the same thoughts/fears:

http://www.roadandtr...cik-google-car/

The guy is the Google Driverless Car Leader, and he's basically saying why it's not the end of driving, performance cars, or driving on roads (for a long time). Of course it's just one man's opinion, but he is in the industry - so I trust his word. 

Awayfromkeyboard
  • Awayfromkeyboard

Snitch

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

I'm looking to replace my Alpina B3 so I took this for a spin. It lasted the whole 30 min before losing power and seeing the check engine light appear. A restart didn't solve it so I got towed back. :lol:

Still kinda want it though, it's a brute in race mode.

1eVx06C.jpg?1

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

Standard Alfa Romeo behaviour.
  • Tchuck and TheInda like this

Zyo
  • Zyo

GTAF Crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Scotland

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

What does everyone do for the "thanks for letting me into your lane" signal. Traditionally I always did the left-right-left turn signal flash which is the old trucker way of doing it, but recently in the UK I'm seeing everyone (drivers of cars and of buses) giving a brief flash of the hazard warning blinker.

What do you guys do?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

I gotta admit, I give two blinks with the hazard indicator. Generally speaking, one blink is negative and two is positive. Same goes for the high beams. If you want to let someone in, you give two high beams, but if you want to tell them not to get in (or get out of your way), you use one high beam.

Also, left-right-left only works when you drive on the left. When driving on the right, it's right-left-right. But it's clear that lorries have systems that seem to be able to send that signals in rapid succession. Because the signals are far more quickly and precisely timed than I could do it.

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:25 AM Edited by DangerZ0neX, 20 May 2017 - 11:26 AM.

You know what irritates me? German cars are overpriced as hell.

A BMW 4-series that is half-loaded and has an Inline-4 engine installed costs the same as a fully loaded Lexus IS 300 F Sport, and the latter car gets a longer warranty. has better reliability ratings, cheaper to maintain, and will still hold a great chunk of its value when I decide to sell it five or so years from now. The only German luxury car that is actually as affordable as a Lexus is a fully-loaded Audi A4, and even then, it isn't as reliable and won't hold much of its value a handful of years later even if I religiously maintain it.

Yeah, I get it, manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz and BMW have a higher price because their names are more prestigious than the likes of Infiniti and Lexus while providing a more sporty performance, but do they really need to have sh*t maintenance and be almost worthless 10 years later? I'm sure this wasn't the case 30 years ago.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

Weird, round here BMWs, Audis and Mercs keep their value much better than Lexus. I'm considering a 5 or 6 year old facelift IS F because they can be had for vastly less than an equivalent M3.

marco6158
  • marco6158

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

What does everyone do for the "thanks for letting me into your lane" signal. Traditionally I always did the left-right-left turn signal flash which is the old trucker way of doing it, but recently in the UK I'm seeing everyone (drivers of cars and of buses) giving a brief flash of the hazard warning blinker.

What do you guys do?

Usually I raise my hand as a thank you, or turn on hazard lights for a second

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:48 PM Edited by AiŽaŠobŽa, 24 May 2017 - 02:49 PM.

What's you're guy opinion about this In Dash system - Pioneer - 6.2" - Built-In Bluetooth - Apple® iPod®-Ready - In-Dash Receiver - Black

EPInBOb.jpg

Is this a decent in dash system? I am looking for a system that is apple phone capable with GPS/NAV built in for around $400 or if you guys have a difference one you'd recommend i'd appreciate the recommendation but it does need to have the following.

Apple Ready - Carplay, Maps, Phone, Messages ect

NAV/GPS

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

I gotta admit, I give two blinks with the hazard indicator. Generally speaking, one blink is negative and two is positive. Same goes for the high beams. If you want to let someone in, you give two high beams, but if you want to tell them not to get in (or get out of your way), you use one high beam.

I do the same way, a lot of people don't seem to either understand of pay attention though.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

I do two flashes of hazard warning lights and a wave normally.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

^ Yeah, i do that when they kindly let me through however, not common where i live. People here, just force their way through without giving a f*ck. I also usually flash my high beams twice to let people through. And sometimes, when you have one of those "Unexpected highway races"  if the car i am following is going to take the next exit, i flash my high beams, and wave bye bye.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:03 AM

Two flashes of hazard warning lights is the standard in Japan.

You sometimes do three flashes if you are really thankful in a situation of horrible traffic jam.

Sometimes do one flash if you're in a rush but it's not very polite.

For people to get through, usually flashing high beams twice, coupled with a wave.

Driving in Japan is a bliss, though. Everyone is usually very patient and polite. Usually not trying to cut in a line like a douchebag. And merging is done usually so effortlessly.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

Well what can you expect in a country where Taxi drivers wear suits? Politeness at its finest.

:

Average white guy
  • Average white guy

I love the smell of exhaust fumes on cool, frosty mornings.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

I agree. People believe that self-driving cars will be mandatory, but I really don't see that happening for a very long time. To have millions of self-piloting pods zipping around you're going to need major infrastructure changes. Changes that will take decades to complete... and right now we don't even have the funds to maintain the roads and bridges we have. 

• Original Light, Android and CRAZY AL WARD like this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
  • Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:16 PM Edited by Android, 28 May 2017 - 07:18 PM.

@Average White Guy - Good point. I don't think anyone has to worry about self driving cars taking over in the next couple of years, maybe even 10 or so. I love driving as much as the next car enthusiast, even if I don't have a sporty car, I think our enthusiast "kind" will be able to fulfill our needs for a long time.

• Original Light and Average white guy like this

Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:54 PM Edited by Original Light, 28 May 2017 - 10:55 PM.

I don't think it could ever be easily enforced, similar to how you can't easily enforce a "ban" on drinking or guns. In rural areas where cops practically don't exist, you can get away with almost anything. My buddy in Arizona says he hasn't seen a cop drive down his street in over 10 years. So even if it ever is "banned" a long time from now, good luck trying to enforce it in super isolated towns, desert roads, and so on. 

Nor do I think oil companies, aftermarket part companies, or performance part companies will sit back and watch their empires crumble before their eyes -- they'll lobby against it. 

Anyway, I was at a classic car show today. It was mostly muscle cars and sports sedans. The leaded gas and old vinyl seats smell amazing. They also had a drag racing area, and quite a few cars surprised me with their performance capabilities. There was this Chevy Malibu Station Wagon which out-accelerated a Pontiac GTO, I know quite a few people were pissed when placing bets on the GTO.  

• Average white guy likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

Hey guys, I have an English language question.

What's it called when you shift gears to a lower/higher gear than what's optimal for cruising at that speed?

Say you want to overtake someone, so you go to a lower gear to rev up the engine some more. Or you want to have a smoother, silent ride so you use a higher gear than you'd normally use.

Pretty sure there's a specific term for that but I can't find it.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

For overtaking? 'Kick down'.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

lol I didn't know there was a word for it.

I've always just called it "passing" :pp

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

I don't know of a term for switching to a higher gear other than 'economical'.

If you use an automatic gearbox, that has two modes - economical and sport - you'll probably notice that in E-mode, it tends to be in a higher gear than in S-mode. This uses less fuel, obviously (fewer revs means less fuel).

When you put your foot down in an automatic, the gearbox will change down to accommodate (this is known as 'kick down')[1], so the acceleration can happen more quickly (I don't think I need to explain why around here). But in S-mode, it will only have to change down one gear, while in E-mode, it will usually change down two gears.

In case you are talking about lowering the gear for the purpose of braking, then that's known as 'engine braking'. This is also useful when going downhill, because that saves you from expending your regular brakes and gives a smoother ride down a hill or mountain.

[1] Although, the term is the same for a manual, but in a manual you just have to do it yourself, obviously.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

I just call it upshifting and downshifting. But I guess he was talking about autotragic transmissions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users