Car Talk Topic

6,726 replies to this topic
Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:27 AM

Heh, i really do hope Sting4S means the "hideous" Jeep.

W126 SEC. Beautiful cars, one of those would be worth buying and spending some money on.

I read a good sig on a car forum recently that kinda stuck with me. It read: "I have made some money over the years, and I have spent a lot of it on cars. The rest I just wasted".

Bottom line is, it's your money, your choice and your responsibilty. Like Outcast said. Its your call. My only other advice is, spend your money on something YOU think is special. And be prepared to treat it like its special.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Heh, i really do hope Sting4S means the "hideous" Jeep.

That makes a lot more sense than what I assumed lol

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

^ Some dumb broad just cut us off on the freeway in one of those. I like the lights but it is absolutely hideous.

What's absolutely hideous? A W126 SEC? You must be blind!

LOL, the Jeep was hideous. The W126 is one of my favorite cars from the 80's, haha!

On a different note, does anybody think its a good idea for my dad to get a maxed out Infiniti Q50S for $52000 or should he pay a little more ($6000 more) to get a decent Audi S5 with all of the necessary tech packages and the Black Optic Package? I'm thinking S5, because it is only a $6000 difference and it just looks a little sleeker to me.

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:36 AM Edited by zyonig, 08 August 2014 - 02:52 AM.

Do you mean the Audi S5 fastback sedan or the S5 coupe, versus the Q50s 3.7 or the Q50s hybrid? Because those are either two cars that are very different or two cars that are very similar.

edit:

Well having thought about it, assuming you mean the S5 five door fastback and the non-hybrid q50s they are both pretty similar cars. Size, power, equipment, performance. Both do 155mph and get to 60 in 5 seconds. They even look the same. The few things that make the difference for me are:

1. The Audi is a manual, the Q50 i believe is only available in an Auto. So the Audi swings it in that department for me, maybe not important for others.
  2. The Infiniti is cheaper and I dont really think you get much more for your money with the audi, except a "slightly" more prestigious badge.
  3. The Audi might hold its value better, but that is offset by the higher initial cost. Depends how long he wants to keep it. 2 years or 10?
  4. Infiniti claimed gas mileage is about 10% better than the Audi.
  5. Audi 4x4. This could be seen as a pro or a con, depends where you live i guess and what your needs are. Its handy if you live in a snowy place (not Texas), but it makes a heavier and less efficient car. Also I like RWD.

Theres really not a lot to pick between these two cars. The Infiniti is a nice alternative to the executive euro sedan choices. But if you want an executive euro sedan why not the 5 series? Also if the consideration was with the coupe version of the S5, then its a pretty different looking car.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

Anyone know what's wrong? It idles at much too few RPM

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

How new is the problem? Have you an idle adjustment screw you can turn?

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

How new is the problem? Have you an idle adjustment screw you can turn?

This is utterly embarrasing; I asked on the FB page for this type of car, turns out that for the first time in my ownership it's actually idling at the correct RPM. It's been fluxuating from 1000-2000 all the time up until now...

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Not sure exactly what it should be at, but somewhere around the 750-800 mark should be about right. It did look like it was chugging a bit at about 500 on the rev counter.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Not sure exactly what it should be at, but somewhere around the 750-800 mark should be about right. It did look like it was chugging a bit at about 500 on the rev counter.

Someone suggested maybe it's running only on 3 cyls. How would I even check that?

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:44 PM Edited by zyonig, 08 August 2014 - 06:45 PM.

It should be pretty noticeable. Rough running. Bad performance. Bad loping at idle.

Also you could check to see if there is a spark at the plug, If there is none, then the pot isn't working for sure. But it doesn't mean there isn't another issue elsewhere.

An easy way to check for a dead or miss firing cylinder is to put one drop of oil on the exhaust manifold where it attaches to each cylinder (if you can). If the oil does not evaporate due to the heat, that cylinder has a problem.(engine has to be at operating temperature).

• Marwin Moody likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

- snip -

Unfortunately they don't sell the Audi S5 Sportback her in America. I was referring to the coupe and the Q50S (non-hybrid). I think they both look good but I think the S5 has that extra oomph. Practicality isn't really a problem as we already have a sedan in the family.

If it were me I'd get the Audi because I love the styling both inside and out. I also like the way it drives, the way it sounds, how quick the shifts are, and to me it's like a budget grand tourer. Something about it is just special to me, and that's not just because it's an Audi. I do like the Q50S, I don't know I guess this question was useless lol. If it were my money I'd get the S5. It just seems like the funner car and something that's perfect for the curvy backroads a few miles to the west of me.

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

Ah ok, well if thats the case the the coupe would be my choice. Sedan vs sedan there is not a lot of difference. However if practicality is not an issue the S5 swings it by a big margin....

I guess this question was useless lol.

:) no question is useless in car talk topic if it promotes discussion

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

just gonna' leave this here.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

^ should've left it in the pits of hell from which it originated

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

oh, it's not really my style.

but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to drive the almighty f/ck out of it for a day.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Isn't that the same car from the driftpocolypse vid? 

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Behold the 707 hp, 204 mph Dodge Charger Hellcat!

charger628.png

http://www.autoblog....llcat-revealed/

And chances are, it's going to be under 70k. 

• Marwin Moody, gtamann123, MGT86 and 1 other like this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:37 AM Edited by Marwin Moody, 15 August 2014 - 12:39 AM.

Considering buying this 1997 Saab 9000 2.0 Turbo CSE Jubileum. It's gone 250k kilometers, but it is just about as rust-free as these cars get. I trust the seller, he owns a 'dead' Saab-lot from which my current 900 turbo comes from. Any tips? Avoid this car, or maybe you know of something similar that would be more wise to buy?
21_1696728553_xl.jpg

21_286878439_xl.jpg

21_898859553_xl.jpg

21_1121349749_xl.jpg

edit: The time stamp on the seller's pictures is wrong. They're very recent, I saw the car today

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

I dunno if this is the right spot to ask, but I'll do it anyway. Is craigslist a good place to buy used cars or anything like that? I've been looking high and low for mid/late 1980s Buick Centuries like what my dad used to have and I found a few on craigslist, but I heard you have to be very careful with buying things from craigslist, from cars to prostitutes.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:44 AM

charger628.png

god damn that's ugly.

I've hated the new Charger since the day it went into production and this nonsense doesn't help...

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:19 AM Edited by Carlover325, 15 August 2014 - 06:20 AM.

I dunno if this is the right spot to ask, but I'll do it anyway. Is craigslist a good place to buy used cars or anything like that? I've been looking high and low for mid/late 1980s Buick Centuries like what my dad used to have and I found a few on craigslist, but I heard you have to be very careful with buying things from craigslist, from cars to prostitutes.

Craigslist is a good place to look and buy.  I've bought (and sold) several things on craigslist, never a vehicle, but I've never had a problem.  If you're worried about meeting a stranger, then take somebody with you.  And make sure the seller has the pink slip in hand if you do decide to buy.

• universetwisters likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

charger628.png

god damn that's ugly.

I've hated the new Charger since the day it went into production and this nonsense doesn't help...

It looks fine to me. I personally hated the pre-facelift models. I wouldn't buy it but I'd definitely like to drive it.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Craigslist is a good place to look and buy.  I've bought (and sold) several things on craigslist, never a vehicle, but I've never had a problem.  If you're worried about meeting a stranger, then take somebody with you.  And make sure the seller has the pink slip in hand if you do decide to buy.

My main concern is that I buy a car and the minute I take it home with me, it breaks down beyond repair. But then again, I'm looking at Buicks, and the only people that drive them now are grandmothers to and from church.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:54 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 15 August 2014 - 05:24 PM.

My main concern is that I buy a car and the minute I take it home with me, it breaks down beyond repair. But then again, I'm looking at Buicks, and the only people that drive them now are grandmothers to and from church.

Buicks aren't exactly known for their impeccable quality and engineering...

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Buicks aren't exactly known for their impeccable quality and engineering...

They seem a lot better than the car I currently drive (2003 Explorer), or at least the 1980s ones are. How can you say no to a face like this? Have you no heart?

1.jpg

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

Well, the A Bodies after the mid 1980’s had the reputation of being solid and reliable cars actually.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Well, the A Bodies after the mid 1980’s had the reputation of being solid and reliable cars actually.

That's why I'm looking at 1986 or 1987 Centuries. Sure, it'll make me look like an elderly churchgoer, a veteran with a mullet/mustache combo, or a small-time drug dealer, but who cares? I grew up with the Century and it was a crazy good car.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:34 PM Edited by gtamann123, 15 August 2014 - 10:32 PM.

charger628.png

http://www.autoblog....llcat-revealed/

And chances are, it's going to be under 70k. 

A 700hp car for under $70k. f*ck me. 

That's why I'm looking at 1986 or 1987 Centuries. Sure, it'll make me look like an elderly churchgoer, a veteran with a mullet/mustache combo, or a small-time drug dealer, but who cares? I grew up with the Century and it was a crazy good car.

Yeah I have a thing for 1980s cars as well. I just love the retroness of them. Plus you will look unique and not a typical 20 year old driving a sh*tty Honda or something. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Plus you will look unique and not a typical 20 year old driving a sh*tty Honda or something. 

Good point, not only that but they're also pretty durable from what I heard. Like what if a hipster kid in his smart car has a sh*tty day and plows into me head-first after I called his lifestyle choices uninteresting? Sure, the steering column may be impaled into my chest, but jokes on him, his smart car's basically a smart cube.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:17 AM

Plus you will look unique and not a typical 20 year old driving a sh*tty Honda or something. 

Good point, not only that but they're also pretty durable from what I heard. Like what if a hipster kid in his smart car has a sh*tty day and plows into me head-first after I called his lifestyle choices uninteresting? Sure, the steering column may be impaled into my chest, but jokes on him, his smart car's basically a smart cube.

That too. The older a car is the more real metal was used in construction and the more solid they are. I once saw a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis sitting on a used car lot for $1000. It had been sitting for a while so it wasn't the best vehicle cosmetically but the internals were sound and it only had about 65,000 miles on it as well. If I had some extra cash at the time I would have bought it and fixed it up and it would have been an amazing car to have but I really needed something that I knew I could rely on. But damn it was pretty

1978mercurygrandmarquis2drtutone.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users