Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do people say that Tommy is heartless or emotionless?

18 replies to this topic
watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

I mean seriously. Does anybody ever pay attention to him during the cutscenes? Or did they just skip them and pay attention to only his actions during the missions? Everybody always says that he doesn't care about anyone. Well first of all, it's pretty hard to be the caring kind of guy when you were set up fifteen years ago and you're surrounded by useless idiots who only exacerbate your prospects. You spend fifteen years in prison and tell me how you would feel when you get out. And second, Tommy showed some signs of caring for the people he knows. He helped Colonel Cortez defend his ship from the French (or whatever the f*ck those people were), rescued Lance from Diaz's gang out of the junk yard, took Phil to get fixed up when he blew up his arm, and even showed a soft side for Old Man Kelly since he reminds him of his father, who once owned a job at the printing shop. I mean we all know that Tommy isn't exactly the generous kind of guy (he's not at all really) and he is extremely hot-tempered and irate, and sure he isn't like CJ or Niko, but by no means is he heartless or emotionless. So I don't see why people even think that.

toxluv
  • toxluv

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

I agree with you, Tommy Vercetti is a man with principles. Here's what I wrote about him on this topic:

I really liked Tommy Vercetti's emotional side, he's a man who believes in friendship and seeing how Lance Vance turned out to be has hurt him.

Although he killed many men, I consider him as an ingenuous and genuine person.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

Because the games based in the 80's men weren't completely feminised back than. Notice how he was always on the clock ? that's how you survived in Miami during the 80's

The game doesn't even come close the scratching the surface. Watch the cocaine cowboys documentary you can get it on youtube. It's really worth watching.

cocaine was worth more than gold in Miami during the 80's the skyline in Miami was built with drug money. Their was murder everyday as a result they run out of room in the morgue. I sh*t you not ! some of these drug lords had so much money they literally had toburry it in their back yard ect.

you gotta understand Miami was the drug capital of American back than because it was soeasy to sneak the drugs in. It was the gateway of Columbia so yeah a lot of drugs and murder in Miami during the 80's

This is why tommy was always on the clock and so focused on his goals if he took a break that could get him killed. If you want to be successful in that line of work you do what needs to be done and don't think twice about it.

Also tommy knew sonny was coming to see him any given day and tommy knew sonny was planning on killing him even if he did get sonnys drugs and money back tommy wasn't a moron.

Heck when his informed sonny's coming to see him he responds '' they took longer than I thought'' he knew what kind of man sonny was and he knew what it would take to defeat him that's why he works so hard because if he doesn't his dead !

Besides tommy does show emotion in the final mission which made the scene a lot more powerful they got the perfect mixture of sadness and resolve. I'm talking about the cut scene after you kill sonny tommy is noticeably upset that lance betrayed him and his trying to get his head around everything that happened. It was a touching moment in the game.
  • Tyla, Failure, Mr_Leone and 1 other like this

markwey
  • markwey

Cool Cat

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:46 PM Edited by markwey, 09 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

For one thing, Tommy sure was always loyal to his friends and associates. 

Colonel Cortez, Phil, Kelly and Lance (until he betrayed Tommy)

And well, Ricardo Diaz was an exception. I don't think that you really can categorize him to Tommy's "associates".

Certainly not to his friends.

Also, Tommy did take good care of Mercedes. The two would have made a great couple. 

However unfortunately such storyline never took place in game,

and many of their phone calls hinting a romantic affair was cut from the final game.

• Mr.ClaudeFan likes this

MyDog
  • MyDog

Niko Bellic's my burazer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Yeah he was a murderer but people make him out to be a psychopath like Trevor. I mean the only murder Tommy commits that is outright villainy is when he kills a cheating wife for Mr. Black, but that is a completely optional mission.

• watersgta3 likes this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Thug

• Members
  • Zimbabwe

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:18 PM

Tommy is my 2.nd protag next to Vic. Tommy is a sociopath with morals if we can put it like this. He is a sort of psycho but he has qualities, he is loyal to people who he considers as friends, he isn´t a backstabber or a hypocrite. Just remember how shocked he was when Lance betrayed him. And Tommy`s friendly relationships with Earnest Kelly was great. He has heart and emotions, he isn`t total heartless psycho like Claude was. He isn`t all just about money. He is good with people who are good with him.

He is just perfect character, a total lunatic with good things.

• watersgta3 likes this

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Because people just like to exaggerate his actions in the game. Also, it's funny how they fire at the CJ, Vic, and Niko bashers and tell the offenders that they need to watch their motivations through the cutscenes to understand them yet none of them do the same for Tommy and just assume that he has no emotions. The other thing that bugs me is the fact that some of these people (most of them really) get angry at Tommy for abandoning Ken. Well what the f*ck do they expect Tommy to do? Ken was a useless coke addict and Tommy became fed up with the lawyer's addiction. So he sent him to rehab in Venturas and didn't want anything to do with him. Tommy is actually a caring person if people would just watch him in cutscenes very closely.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Thug

• Members
  • Zimbabwe

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Because people just like to exaggerate his actions in the game. Also, it's funny how they fire at the CJ, Vic, and Niko bashers and tell the offenders that they need to watch their motivations through the cutscenes to understand them yet none of them do the same for Tommy and just assume that he has no emotions. The other thing that bugs me is the fact that some of these people (most of them really) get angry at Tommy for abandoning Ken. Well what the f*ck do they expect Tommy to do? Ken was a useless coke addict and Tommy became fed up with the lawyer's addiction. So he sent him to rehab in Venturas and didn't want anything to do with him. Tommy is actually a caring person if people would just watch him in cutscenes very closely.

Yeah altough it made me a bit sad when i watched the introduction movie when it shows that Tommy doesn`t want to pick up Ken`s phone call but i can understand Tommy for doing so. I mean hardcore cokeheads aren`t exactly the people you can rely on. I know 2 cokeheads in my real life so i should know :bored:  they are moodswinging paranoics.

But it was still kind of sad emotional moment in SA mission "meat bussines" when Ken accidently says to CJ "this is so exciting TOMMY it`s like the old days" indicating that Ken misses his friendship with Tommy he used to have :cry:

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Sure Vercetti cared. When there was something in it for him.

He ran errands for Cortez because he was his only initial lead on the money and drugs.

He went after Lance's ass in Death Row to find out how much he'd squealed to Diaz about his plan to take over.

He quite happily did hits for both the Cubans and Haitians, getting rich off the back of it. Hell, wasn't it Tommy who instigated that in the first place?

He pimps out a love sick Mercedes to Love Fist. Then makes her the star of his new adult enterprises.

He likely saves Phil because he's a solid source of weapons.

The only real exception for who Tommy seemed genuine with is Earnest Kelly.

• universetwisters likes this

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Sure Vercetti cared. When there was something in it for him.

He ran errands for Cortez because he was his only initial lead on the money and drugs.

He went after Lance's ass in Death Row to find out how much he'd squealed to Diaz about his plan to take over.

He quite happily did hits for both the Cubans and Haitians, getting rich off the back of it. Hell, wasn't it Tommy who instigated that in the first place?

He pimps out a love sick Mercedes to Love Fist. Then makes her the star of his new adult enterprises.

He likely saves Phil because he's a solid source of weapons.

The only real exception for who Tommy seemed genuine with is Earnest Kelly.

That still doesn't mean he didn't give a sh*t about any of them. They helped him, so why not reciprocate? And the only reason he instigated the war between the Cubans and Haitians is because he was hypnotized by Auntie Poulet's potion, meaning he showed no memory of what he did for the Haitians. Hell, he even said in one phone call with Lance that he wouldn't rip him off or stab him in the back, and to me, he sounded like a man that would keep his word. Despite his hot temper, he's not disloyal to anyone unless they deserved to get killed, such as Diaz.

• Im2akillerfish likes this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Thug

• Members
  • Zimbabwe

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Tommy was the kind of guy who is good to those people who are good to him. No matter what kind of lunatic he was, he would never stab someone in the back like Lance did to him. 

I like Tommy`s personality very much, he is a total lunatic but with good characteristics and he isn`t heartless in any way.

Now Claude is totaly heartless psycho without any emotions. Just look what he did all the time. He was only about the money, loyalty didn`t mean sh*t to him. On day he`s working for Sal, the other day he kills him (ok Sal wanted to kill him so he had to do it because that bitch Maria f*cked all up). One day he works for Kenji, the other day kills him just because Donald love paid him a good money. Anyway that is totaly f*cked up person and unfortunetly there are plenty of Claudes in real world too. Only about f*cking cash. I wouldnt like to insult any of Claude`s fans but he was totaly f*cked up character with zero good sides. Just greed for money. A total emotionless sociopath and that`s why Claude is my worst protagonist in all GTA series and Tommy is my best, right next to Vic Vance.

Tommy was not even near Claude`s personality. If you put Tommy Vercetti`s personality in the real world i would say that he is the kind of guy you would be happy to befriend with. As long as you`re fair to him he would be more than fair to you and he would be your friend in the real meaning of a word friend.

So R* made a perfect character for GTA game. A raging lunatic, a hothead but also loyal, friendly, somehow naive and honest.

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

I agree with the OP. I never really took Tommy as this guy who is totally heartless and who would kill anything that moves, almost to the point of either Trevor or Saints Row protagonist in SR2. The thing with Trevor, though, is that you see a different side to him when he was with Patricia Madrazo and in the "Mrs. Phillips" cutscene. You can kind of see why if you really think about it. Plus, there was that whole thing with Michael and his "betrayal."

Anyway, back to Tommy, the way I looked at him was that he was some ill-tempered and sort of sociopathic, if psychopathic kind of guy who still has a sense of morality. You can kind of see that he considered Earnest Kelly as a father-figure because he had memories of working at a printworks. Also, the actions you do in the game depend entirely on you. For a long time now, when it comes to playing the GTA games (Or open-world games in general), I am hardly the trigger-happy guy who would kill someone just because. Maybe a gang member who hates me, I'll do that, if a cop tries to kill me, I'll do that, but never some innocent person. Try looking at Tony Montana for example, he was a hothead and lunatic, but he still had loyalty and a sense of morality, well at least until he started doing drugs.

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

Because they like to exaggerate negative traits about someone they don't like or think is overrated. People say that since Tommy doesn't show any signs of caring like CJ, Vic, and Niko did, they dislike him. Well listen up all of you Cj, Vic, and Niko fanboys. All three of those characters had family to look out for. Who exactly does Tommy have? A boss who set him up fifteen years prior to VC's storyline and had him sent to jail after this. Now let me ask you this? How would you feel if fifteen years of most of your adult life was wasted because your "boss" set you up for some gratuitous reason and you were sent to Miami to work for useless idiots (Rosenberg for example)? It's very understandable why Tommy is always angry and annoyed most of the time. That doesn't make him heartless nor emotionless. He still respects his allies deep down. He even told Lance that he would never betray him in one call and the way that sounded, he was serious about it. Hell, when he and Lance were about to kill Diaz, you could see Tommy staring at Lance as if he was still skeptical. Tommy may be a greedy sociopath, but he has a heart. He just doesn't show it much.

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

Because they like to exaggerate negative traits about someone they don't like or think is overrated. People say that since Tommy doesn't show any signs of caring like CJ, Vic, and Niko did, they dislike him. Well listen up all of you Cj, Vic, and Niko fanboys. All three of those characters had family to look out for. Who exactly does Tommy have? A boss who set him up fifteen years prior to VC's storyline and had him sent to jail after this. Now let me ask you this? How would you feel if fifteen years of most of your adult life was wasted because your "boss" set you up for some gratuitous reason and you were sent to Miami to work for useless idiots (Rosenberg for example)? It's very understandable why Tommy is always angry and annoyed most of the time. That doesn't make him heartless nor emotionless. He still respects his allies deep down. He even told Lance that he would never betray him in one call and the way that sounded, he was serious about it. Hell, when he and Lance were about to kill Diaz, you could see Tommy staring at Lance as if he was still skeptical. Tommy may be a greedy sociopath, but he has a heart. He just doesn't show it much.

Yeah. I actually think Tommy had the best personality of all the GTA protagonist, because unlike the other protagonists, Tommy wasn't bipolar or hypocritical one time.

Paul723
  • Paul723

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

If Tommy was truly heartless, he would've let Lance get murdered by Diaz' gang while he kills Diaz himself. Hell he even felt remorse for killing Lance because he would've never expected him to turn on him, meaning that he saw Lance as a true friend. I don't see why people say that Tommy treated Lance bad. I watched all the cutscenes and I did not see Tommy mistreat Lance one time. I still remember him promising Lance that he wouldn't betray him. I never saw Tommy as heartless or emotionless. Just an angry man having a bad day almost everyday. I mean the man just got 15 years of his life wasted because of his former boss and when he does get out, his boss sends him to VC just to keep him away from LC. How would you feel if any of those things happened to you? Waiting for an answer.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:25 PM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 12 August 2014 - 09:29 PM.

This is actually a good topic. if you replay VC, you will know that Tommy has a more mixed personality. He can, of course be a cold blooded Anti-hero bastard who kills people without regretting (hmmm..... Doesn't that sound familliar? A.K.A nearly every single protagonist in GTA) And he can be very angry at times, but at the other hand: He does have emotion and he is not heartless. He has a hot girlfriend (Mercedes) and he can be smart and clever, he also has friends and he can give his trust to other people. He always sees things the right way, he isn't a dumb f*ck like Diaz, or an uncontrollable (sorry if I miss-spelled that) like Diaz either. He keeps things in control. Hell, he is proabably the only protagonist who can have a more ''boss'' type of role. And don't even get me started at what he does in game: Save Lance vance (who actually freaking back stabbed him later in the game) from getting proabably chopped up into pieces or getting a bullet to the head and killed by Diaz's men, he helped and showed good loyality towards Colonel Cortez, and also for that print dude in the print works.. He also shows a good friendship and loyality towards Ken, hell, he helped the f*ck out of Ken more than Ken helped himself. he sent Ken to the rehab because he got addicted to cocaine. Does that seem heartless and cold? I don't even think Claude (who people say that Tommy is even more cold blooded than) would even help his friends like that. 

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

SA and VC Android mission helper.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Ey, Diaz isn't that bad.
He gives much money for the easy missions ànd he gives you the best car in the game (CP Admiral)

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:19 AM

If Tommy was truly heartless, he would've let Lance get murdered by Diaz' gang while he kills Diaz himself. Hell he even felt remorse for killing Lance because he would've never expected him to turn on him, meaning that he saw Lance as a true friend. I don't see why people say that Tommy treated Lance bad. I watched all the cutscenes and I did not see Tommy mistreat Lance one time. I still remember him promising Lance that he wouldn't betray him. I never saw Tommy as heartless or emotionless. Just an angry man having a bad day almost everyday. I mean the man just got 15 years of his life wasted because of his former boss and when he does get out, his boss sends him to VC just to keep him away from LC. How would you feel if any of those things happened to you? Waiting for an answer.

Exactly what I was thinking. People say that CJ, Vic, and Niko are the best protagonists of the GTA series all because they were "caring." What most of the three's fanboys/fangirls are oblivious to is that all three of those characters had families to look after. Tommy, on the other hand, only had his boss, and look what he did to him. Considering that Tommy had a decade and a half of his life wasted by his "boss" and was annoyed greatly, it's very understandable how he doesn't show any signs of caring. Tommy actually has versatile feelings if the players would watch him closely. He was just only a hot-tempered man having a bad day almost every day and was surrounded by idiots. He was very respectable to Colonel Cortez and Honestly told him that although he respected him, he didn't have time to run errands for him. He promised Lance that he would stay loyal to him and even showed remorse for killing him due to Lance's betrayal. And he had a soft spot for the old man since he was a father figure to him due to his memories working at the printworks with his father. In retrospect, Tommy isn't one dimensional like all these people who hate Tommy say he is. While he was mostly hot-tempered and psychopathic, he was also respectful, loyal, helpful, intelligent, cognizant, fastidious, and had a soft side and a heart deep down, and that's why we all like him.

hot-temper27
  • hot-temper27

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

Tommy's not heartless at all. He's just pissed off over the fact that he gets into a bunch of predicaments. Don't forget that he did spend 15 years in prison all because his boss set him up the day he got put in. I never saw Tommy as heartless. Just a man pissed off of his wasted life thanks to Sonny.

• WhyDoINeedAName likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users