Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA V - Expectation and Reality

118 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA V - Expectation and Reality (254 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you expect GTA V to be better than your favorite GTA pre-release, based on screenshots, trailers, articles, etc. ?

1. Yes (216 votes [85.04%])

Percentage of vote: 85.04%

2. No (38 votes [14.96%])

Percentage of vote: 14.96%

Was it?

1. Yes (137 votes [53.94%])

Percentage of vote: 53.94%

2. No (117 votes [46.06%])

Percentage of vote: 46.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote
shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

I expected it to be the quintessential GTA. Having an impact on me for years. Both single and multiplayer. Like gta 4 had. But it was disenchanting. To me it completely lost its appeal. Everyone who loves it. ...good for you. To me it's boring. Storywise, gameplay wise....it's looking good. Has lots of cars...weapons. ..clothes. ...yet I can't enjoy anything of it. Gta v lacks spirit and depth. And it's over the top cartoonish and too realistic at the wrong places. It's not fun to play. I didn't even sell my copy cuz everyone got one....that's due to the fantastic gta 4.
  • PulpFiction, Official General and maxpaynefan like this

collywobbles
  • collywobbles

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

I also wwas hopin for quintessential GTA. Having an impact on me for years. But whatchu plannin wit it dog. The game fufuill expectashions in good ways, bad ways, but that ain't gonna be makin me desrespectin people who is puttin in work Inna game cuz. Dudes be grindin in them facteries n ahit. True religion dat they be gettin bread for it but that aint a ton. When grind time be comin dudes get freaked an be workin for days. Itta tuff spotta be in when you ain't be likin it but start respect it dog.

Smaher...
  • Smaher...

I am not young enough to know everything.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:41 AM Edited by Smaher..., 06 September 2014 - 01:42 AM.

what gta v felt like to me pre release

Spoiler

what gta v feels like to me now

Spoiler

I'd rather have a mediate Coney Island than diabetes. 

So, with that, V fits my tastes.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

I never really read or saw any of the hype. Almost nothing. I see the trailers by chance a few days after they released. I never read any previews or editorials, though I did hear about that IGN advertorial lol for how shameless it was.

So I never really had much for expectations except I knew it was a big game with a big budget. But actually the game was bigger and better in some ways. Graphics were better than I thought we'd get on the PS3, though a lot of that is the incredible art and world detail. I didn't know the game had an awesome original score. I had no idea you could customize cars, or even clothing, so much, after how bad GTA IV was for customization. World was smaller than I thought though I was expecting more towns like GTA SA. I was also expecting more Heists, and also repeatable free roam Heists (and the game even suggested this because Michael tells Franklin during Heist 1 "maybe one day you can do, plan, your own heists."

I wasn't really hype or concerned or even thinking about if GTA V was better than IV or SA. I just sort of assumed it because it's supposed to be... being the next iteration and all. It should be to IV what SA was to VC. And on all counts, it is. On any objective measure, it's clearly a better produced game than any other GTA. More and better used musical score, more mission gameplay variety, far more unique art and world detail, far more customization. There was subjective reasons why people may like SA's stats or IV's vehicle control more, but objective, V is obviously the better game.

Of course if you look at things objectively it's the best one, but that can be said for every GTA at its time of release. GTA VI will be an objectively better game than GTA V when it releases.

To me all of what GTA V does better was expected of it. There's no excuse for the graphics and world detail not to be the most evolved yet. Customisation is the only non-core gameplay element I feel is a real improvement over the old games.

The side missions are poor for a multiple protagonist game as far as I'm concerned and the properties are a joke.

Graphically and detail wise I can't really fault GTA V. It looks great and has some amazing detail, but that's not going to keep me playing it years from now.
  • Official General and maxpaynefan like this

Smaher...
  • Smaher...

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

GTA VI will be an objectively better game than GTA V when it releases.

How are you so sure? Just saying because this is what some said when before V announced. You can't determine something like that without a source. ;)

collywobbles
  • collywobbles

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

I hear bout dat GTA 6jawn. My boy be tellin me bout it an it soundin ripe. He seem lejit but if he ain't he catchin a right.

Smaher...
  • Smaher...

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:54 AM

I hear bout dat GTA 6jawn. My boy be tellin me bout it an it soundin ripe. He seem lejit but if he ain't he catchin a right.

What?

• collywobbles and Bi0ha2ard_q8 like this

collywobbles
  • collywobbles

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:00 AM

What?
My boy tellin me bout it and be sayin it trippin

Peep this. It don't matter wat yous be expectin but it matters what you gettin
Expectin ain't doin justice to dudes cuz it only a small piece of a puzzel. When you play you be gettin the full pictcher. It really only a matter of taste in quality. That make all the difference in games. You like it or not Church ya'll

Word.
Shoutout to my boy Ike

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:11 AM

Expectin ain't doin justice to dudes cuz it only a small piece of a puzzel. When you play you be gettin the full pictcher. It really only a matter of taste in quality. That make all the difference in games. You like it or not Church ya'll

True dat

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV
  • L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

Be good, work hard, stay focused!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

GTA 5 is just perfect, it was better than what i've expected before the game's release, can't say the same about the Online mode however, still fun to play with your friends but there's so many glitches and pop in.

• Smaher... likes this

collywobbles
  • collywobbles

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

True dat
Piece,love an keep it real
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8 likes this

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

Oh one of these threads again. You people f*cking overhyped it like crazy. You now say you're disappointed but... A year later you're still posting on the V section of gtaforums.com...does not compute.

It's your own fault too. You took marketing spin from Rockstar and out your own spin on it. You then blew it up in your mind to proportions no game could possibly match. The absolute limit is that some of you have the chutzpah to blame rockstar for what is your own failure to manage your expectations and the fact you can't separate your own imagination from marketing and then again from reality. Seriously, the narcissism of it.

Just because you didn't enjoy the driving or whatever doesn't stand up to your immaculate scrutiny (because you're obviously such a great f*cking game designer yourself), doesn't mean other people didn't. Just because you like GTA a lot, doesn't mean that rockstar makes the game for you. In fact, rockstar seems to almost explicitly not aim at the regular hardcore gamer audience, but a more casual one.

Stop exposing yourself like the over entitled little sh*ts you are. Seriously, if you get this disappointed over a game something is wrong with your life. Fix it, don't blame a game.
  • collywobbles, OneManCrimeWave, auntjeff and 1 other like this

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

I had realistic excpections. The  game is very good, but the story really pulled it down for me. I hope they listen less to fans next time, and just do what they wanna do. 

mobe
  • mobe

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

I thought the map felt small fairly quickly but other than that the game lived up to everything. I think once people have the PS4/Xbone version plus the single player DLC the game will suddenly seem like its the GTA people were wanting. 

auntjeff
  • auntjeff

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:08 PM Edited by auntjeff, 01 October 2014 - 03:58 AM.

del

• Bi0ha2ard_q8 likes this

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:14 AM Edited by Bi0ha2ard_q8, 07 September 2014 - 02:16 AM.

I had realistic excpections. The  game is very good, but the story really pulled it down for me. I hope they listen less to fans next time, and just do what they wanna do. 

I agree with first part. But I don't think they should listen to fans. Never. The average GTA player is horrendous. I mean have you played Online?

Oh one of these threads again. You people f*cking overhyped it like crazy. You now say you're disappointed but... A year later you're still posting on the V section of gtaforums.com...does not compute.

It's your own fault too. You took marketing spin from Rockstar and out your own spin on it. You then blew it up in your mind to proportions no game could possibly match. The absolute limit is that some of you have the chutzpah to blame rockstar for what is your own failure to manage your expectations and the fact you can't separate your own imagination from marketing and then again from reality. Seriously, the narcissism of it.

Just because you didn't enjoy the driving or whatever doesn't stand up to your immaculate scrutiny (because you're obviously such a great f*cking game designer yourself), doesn't mean other people didn't. Just because you like GTA a lot, doesn't mean that rockstar makes the game for you. In fact, rockstar seems to almost explicitly not aim at the regular hardcore gamer audience, but a more casual one.

Stop exposing yourself like the over entitled little sh*ts you are. Seriously, if you get this disappointed over a game something is wrong with your life. Fix it, don't blame a game.

So many things are right on target in this post...especially the narcissism.  Thank you for bringing things back into earths orbit while the rest continue to deny the laws of stupidity.

Look guys I know myself, I was excited about SA, liked it but was a bit disappointed, I got excited over IV and loved it the moment I played and still after countless hours.

The three protag thing made the story thin and unfocused. You expect things to get deeper but instead R* kept it simple to avoid the complexity. And It would be complex with R*'s high production value.

LordZekrom
  • LordZekrom

Chicken is love, chicken with rice

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:06 AM Edited by LordZekrom, 07 September 2014 - 04:09 AM.

My expectation;

adriana-lima.jpg

The reality;

She-Is-Not-So-Ugly-Ugly-Girl.jpg

The Online;

Spoiler

• robban likes this

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

Expected it to beat San Andreas. And for me it turned to do just that. I still love SA but GTAV is definitely my new favourite.

• auntjeff likes this

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:03 AM Edited by Andreas, 07 September 2014 - 04:05 PM. Fixed formatting.

I agree with first part. But I don't think they should listen to fans. Never. The average GTA player is horrendous. I mean have you played Online?

Lol, that was what I said.  "I hope they listen less to fans next time" GTAV was one giant piece of fanservice not only to the SA crowd but the IV crowd aswell. I HATED how Lester mentions Niko. How could Lester possibly have known about him, when he was on the other side of the country, and 5 years ago too? Packie talking about Niko was more than enough for me. 

GTA IV was the result of R* growing up, GTA V was them dumbing down. The driving is easy, (even if you flip your car, you flip it right back around) the shooting is easy (no recoil or spread ). You can even skip missions if you're not good enough.

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:07 AM Edited by Bi0ha2ard_q8, 07 September 2014 - 08:10 AM.

@Simonp92

Somehow I didn't read the "less" in your first response. So I thought you WANTED rockstar to listen to fans. My bad.

Edit: Yeah they dumbed down the game so that it'd be more appealing to the "casual" gamer, biggest market share. Skipping missions, score system, hacky special abilities and magic car control.

And online. enough said.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

I expected GTA V to beat San Andreas.  With superior technology, an explosively high budget, 9 years later and 5 years in development, you would expect it to beat it with an iron fist?

Did it?  Not really.  San Andreas wins with setting, sandboxing, soundtrack and story.  GTA V wins on graphics, driving, combat and overall game mechanics.  I'd probably call it a tie, which is a little disappointing, as you'd expect the newer game to be better.

Keep in mind that GTA V is really only winning on technical merits rather than artistic merits.  When the next GTA game has better visuals and more refined game mechanics, it might not have anything unique left in it.

• Official General and robban like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

^ THAT!!! :)

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:22 PM Edited by Nick930930, 07 September 2014 - 03:24 PM.

I expected GTA V to beat San Andreas.  With superior technology, an explosively high budget, 9 years later and 5 years in development, you would expect it to beat it with an iron fist?

Did it?  Not really.  San Andreas wins with setting, sandboxing, soundtrack and story.  GTA V wins on graphics, driving, combat and overall game mechanics.  I'd probably call it a tie, which is a little disappointing, as you'd expect the newer game to be better.

Keep in mind that GTA V is really only winning on technical merits rather than artistic merits.  When the next GTA game has better visuals and more refined game mechanics, it might not have anything unique left in it.

So what you're saying is, GTAV is a better game. Graphics, driving, combat, and overall game mechanics are the entire foundation of a video game. 

Setting, soundtrack, and story are just extra fluff. 

I personally liked GTAV the most, but I never played Vice City or San Andreas back when they were released. Last summer I did install them and give them a go, but they did not age well at all. Terrible controls, boring stories, stupid missions. Obviously dated graphics. The soundtracks were "ok", but I would still prefer to use custom soundtracks. And the actual layout of GTAV in terms of map design is WAY better than San Andreas. San Andreas doesn't even make any sense. GTAV looks close to identical to what Los Angeles looks like. San Andreas is an awkward mix of LA and San Francisco. 

L0UDM0UTH
  • L0UDM0UTH

Too Handsome for this sh*t

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

I've played and beaten every single GTA except GTA London..and V is hands down the best. I'll admit I wasn't blown away by the story (it was good) and I only listen to a few radio stations, but the story ISN'T OVER yet (hence DLC) and they're updating the radio stations so we'll see what happens. Recently went back and played all the previous GTAs and I just couldn't for long unless I was doing missions, which got dull quick. Don't think I would be entertained long unless I had mods. Even TBOGT feels LEAGUES behind..GTA V is where it's at, for me at least.

TCA
  • TCA

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:27 PM Edited by TCA, 08 September 2014 - 09:27 PM.

I expected the plot to be good, now it isn't.

I expected Trevor to be a good character and he's just a cheap, poorly written character just thrown in there.

I expected Franklin to be a ghettoblasting gangbanger and now all he does is sit in his mansion and iron shirts whilst high on potato chips.

Agreed. Also, he didn't share with any of us either :(

ribon
  • ribon

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:27 PM Edited by ribon, 08 September 2014 - 09:34 PM.

Given all the trailers, screenshots and pre-release news I kinda hoped it would do a little better than this.

Before I go on with the pros and cons, SPOILER ALERT! You have been warned. :rampage:

I like the map and the fact you get to switch between the three protagonists. Also, the police difficulty is finally "just right" compared to other GTA games - at least you have a bit of a challenge here.

What I don't like is the short, at times inconsistent and a little bit dull storyline. The fact that you didn't receive payment for some missions and that you only had like 6 heists really felt like a short game.

Next, the stock market. I've been playing this game for about 2 weeks now (finally got a PS3, was the first game I bought) and even after reading countless articles on the LCN stock market I still don't know what makes it 'tick'. Every rumor and every help I got online proved to be false (competitor companies, insurance stock & general mayhem strategy) and I'm starting to believe R* added random variables into the market to spit out random numbers after every 45 seconds, regardless of what you do in-game.

No. 3 - the businesses. You buy lots and occasionally when the manager contacts you, you do a job for the business. ....that's it? Where are the business upgrades (better equipment, bigger business)? Where is the option to hire bodyguards to protect your buildings? Random missions that would affect your weekly income (raise or lower the payment)?

And last and foremost - R* forcing its players to play online. Unless you've taken all Lester's tips on the stock market (LCN, mind you, BAWSAQ is online only) and you began the assassination missions only after completing The Big One, chances are you will never ever be able to buy all of the lots and vehicles. Unless you manipulate the stock market by reloading the game every time the prices drop or play until your businesses finally get to the point where your original investment paid off and you start making money. Which takes months.... literally. Other than the GroupeSechs trucks which net you about 6k profit and the weekly business payments, I don't see how we are supposed to make money in SP legally (the stock market doesn't count for me because it's too random and I always have to reload the game to have even a bit of profit).

Anyway, I remember last year when players flipped out at a girl reviewer's critique on Gamespot where she gave the game a 9.5/10 score. Although I still don't agree with her for reducing the score due to the game being degrading to women (just.... wtf....), considering everything else I would give the game a max score of 8/10. It's good, it's enjoyable, but repetitive at times (ex. ultra triathlon, Coyote Course, 30 minutes of mashing X like a f*cking idiot - fun fun fun) and has huge potential that the developers failed to make use of. That, and the forced online thing.

Just a quick question - did R*, by any chance, employ ex-EA developers/advisers recently? Because at some points it actually felt like I was playing an EA game. And that's not a good thing.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

I think its a great game sure I expected more (in some areas at least) and

some things should have been better like the story length, online sh*t, more gangs etc.

but overall its a good game I got my money's worth no doubt

I'm just worried that Rockstar seeing as they are going all crazy with online that they will abandon SP 

I mean whatever happened to the SP DLC? And whats all this sh*t about exclusive content for online?

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:00 AM Edited by godforgivesthelostdont, 10 September 2014 - 09:03 AM.

So what you're saying is, GTAV is a better game. Graphics, driving, combat, and overall game mechanics are the entire foundation of a video game. 

Setting, soundtrack, and story are just extra fluff.

Not at all.  You're 100% wrong.

In 2008, GTA IV had the best graphics, combat and the most refined game mechanics (aka what you call the entire foundation).  But all of those things were outdated by GTA V and other open world games.

Technical features like the graphics and such are things we want NOW, but in a couple years, nobody will care about those things. 

There are always going to be prettier graphics and more refined gameplay.  If GTA V's merits rest on those things, its only a matter of time until the next GTA comes out with better mechanics. 

If technology mattered more than setting, nobody would be replaying Vice City because the gameplay is really simple and the driving is clumsy.

• Official General likes this

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

This is an entirely subjective statement of opinion dressed up as fact. My (equally subjective) experience is completely different. For me GTA V wins with story, sandboxing as well. I like the soundtrack too, but SA inches it because it has funnier talk radio (I'm sick of laslow by now).

I don't even view it like the newer game has to top the older one. It's apples and oranges. Different time, different hardware, different world that game was made for. I don't want to see the same basic game expanded upon indefinitely. I like to see how you can reapply the same concept to different things and I'm not nostalgic for the old. It already exists. Another SA would be pointless to me..I already own it.

I've pointed this out many times but what makes GTA stand head and shoulders above every other open world game is the cohesiveness. The way story, character and environment come together. How that's all reflected in the missions and activities..and also in removing them if they don't fit. It's a different approach than most game developers where it's more iterative...but also what gives the rockstar flavour if you will.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users