Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA V - Expectation and Reality

118 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA V - Expectation and Reality (254 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you expect GTA V to be better than your favorite GTA pre-release, based on screenshots, trailers, articles, etc. ?

1. Yes (216 votes [85.04%])

Percentage of vote: 85.04%

2. No (38 votes [14.96%])

Percentage of vote: 14.96%

Was it?

1. Yes (137 votes [53.94%])

Percentage of vote: 53.94%

2. No (117 votes [46.06%])

Percentage of vote: 46.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote
The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

A lot of us seemed to overhype GTA V. But how much did we overhype it? Did you expect GTA V to be the greatest GTA yet, better than your favorite (or former favorite) GTA? And did it turn out to be? 

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Capitalism is a dirty business

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:55 AM

Nope. I even had the feeling it wasn't going to topple GTA IV as my favourite although I gave it a chance to do so.
  • simonp92, theNGclan, fac316 and 2 others like this

mightycarmods
  • mightycarmods

MAAAAAD

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

I may have been too over hyped about the game before it came out. Overall though, GTA V turn out better than I thought.

• Raza2000 likes this

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:02 AM Edited by zuckmeslow, 06 July 2014 - 03:02 AM.

what gta v felt like to me pre release

2zi63cw.jpg

what gta v feels like to me now

2rcac8p.jpg

• Official General, universetwisters, Cutter De Blanc and 11 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:07 AM Edited by Official General, 06 July 2014 - 01:29 PM.

First poll, YES.

Second poll, NO. 

And I really don't believe people hyped GTA V up too much, that's just a load of bullsh*t from Rockstar fanatics who always bring that up as a poor excuse for why many people felt letdown by the game. And a poor, weak excuse it is indeed. Most people had very realistic expectations of the game, regardless of what the Rockstar fanatics say. 

Rockstar where the ones who did all the hyping of V, the fans obviously fed off the energy generated from it and got very excited. There is nothing wrong with that, except that the game just was not as great as it was made out to be. 

• Zee, sqre, kj2022 and 8 others like this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

With all the trailers and screenshots, I thought I was going to be stepping into a world never before seen in video games. Don't get me wrong, the game is fantastic and it certainly is one of the best games of the year. There is a lot to do and it never stops revealing new things. But, it doesn't feel as alive or immersive as LC did.

• fac316, theGTAking101, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

ethan919
  • ethan919

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

For me personally, GTA5 definitely lived up to my expectations. The game honestly has an amazing amount of fun to be had in it if given the chance.
  • Aerosmithfan999 and Raza2000 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:13 AM Edited by universetwisters, 06 July 2014 - 05:13 AM.

I expected the plot to be good, now it isn't.

I expected Trevor to be a good character and he's just a cheap, poorly written character just thrown in there.

I expected Franklin to be a ghettoblasting gangbanger and now all he does is sit in his mansion and iron shirts whilst high on potato chips.

• sqre, HUGOHL, theGTAking101 and 6 others like this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:43 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 06 July 2014 - 07:12 AM.

First poll, YES.

Second poll, NO. 

And I really don't believe people hyped GTA V up too much, that's just a load of bullsh*t from Rockstar fanatics who always bring that up as a poor excuse for why many people felt letdown by the game. And a poor, weak excuse it is indeed. Most people had very realistic expectations of the game, regardless of what the Rockstar fanatics say. 

Rockstar where the ones who did all the hyping of V, the fans obviously fed off the energy generated from it and got very excited. There is nothing wrong with that, except that the game just was nit as great as it was made out to be. 

You must've missed the 3 million speculation and "confirmation" threads pre-release.

Hell, I remember the one screen of the guy aiming at a helicopter, and it showed a laser sight trained on the guy. It was obvious it came from the helicopter, but that didn't stop 100 threads about weapon customization being confirmed, speculation being speculated, and people going crazy over features returning. And you think it's bullsh*t? Pffft.

Oh, and let's not forget people taking anything R* said and twisting it every which way and speculating the sh*t out of it. For example:

R*: Car customization is back

People: *speculating about what we'll see, what'll be available, etc.*

It wasn't bullsh*t at all. You can even see people doing it now for NG and PC.

Lol, look at this thread I made a f*cking while ago: Link.

I remember that. Everyone fighting because we got so little info. "The game must be far behind!" "The game's not even close to finished!"

Then you got the guys like me, who were like "Relax! We don't know anything yet!"

Then we had 2012 vs. 2013, where the 2012'ers were under constant attack.

Good times. Good times...

zuckmeslow: From disgusting to great looking?
  • StarFyer, Th3MaN1, HUGOHL and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Completely and totally agree with Official General.
There is no better answer than what he said and pretty easily sums it up.

GTA V stmbles big time by not having a satisfying gameplay, but f*ckin' casualized way too much.
They simply went ahead in neglecting the many obvious fan expectations for something that fits the mainstream bullsh*t and seemingly more focused in bringing out a solid ONLINE GTA experience.
They can't even manage to release the single player without closed interiors, and still specific changes are under wraps with no update or info to speak.

This game is utter failure with respect to GTA standards.
  • sqre, Official General, Cutter De Blanc and 6 others like this

PlaystationGamer266
  • PlaystationGamer266

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

It's better than iv, but wore than balled of the gay tony. Although nothing tops vice city

AlmightySo
  • AlmightySo

Professional Hustler

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

Just about as good as it looked to me, gta v next gen looks like its going to be better then im expecting.

KaramG
  • KaramG

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

I remember oozing over every little thing in the trailer like "OOOOOOH, DEY GOT TENNIS NOW?! HOLY sh*t! THIS GAME HAS EVERYTHING"

But then I remembered I don't even like tennis...

Before I got the game, I realized it would be amazing, but that I was hyping it way too much. And from the first level, any preconceived notions I had about the game were forgotten and I was immediately hooked on the gameplay and world. I only have a few gripes with this game to be honest, none of which bother me too much as a whole.

For one thing, I actually love how aggressive the cops are. Adds a whole new spin to going on rampages. Makes escaping 5 stars feel super rewarding. I also like how they cut out all the bullsh*t "go buy pants" missions.

My gripes:

-Story and character development took a nosedive part way through the game. Decent plot, but left a lot to be desired. Especially with Franklin's character

-I wish there was more exposition. Like I wish the game gave us like 15-20 hours to focus on Franklin, 15-20 to focus on Michael, 15-20 to focus on Trevor. And then have all three cross paths and work together. Not sure if that would have dragged the story out too much though

-Not being able to enter Burger Shot or any of the properties.

• Moonplayer and LordZekrom like this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

First poll, YES.

Second poll, NO. 

Rockstar where the ones who did all the hyping of V, the fans obviously fed off the energy generated from it and got very excited. There is nothing wrong with that, except that the game just was nit as great as it was made out to be. 

I don't understand the logic behind that. Pre-release, R* didn't show anything that wasn't in the game, through the first trailer looked quite different from the final product, which is expected of a game years in the making.

While the story was f*cked, I can't see why people expected the story to be really good. I completely agree with all the criticism centered towards the writing, but almost everyone compares the story to IV's story. Can I ask; why?

Also, people came up with way too much theories. RDR was a masterpiece, Rockstar released many trailers and gameplay videos for that. Why wasn't that overhyped? Because it was a new IP. The biggest problem was that GTA became a huge franchise, so people expected it to be the best game ever. Boo f*cking Hoo.

Kipsta77
  • Kipsta77

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:10 AM Edited by Kipsta77, 06 July 2014 - 09:14 AM.

I expected something very different.

A story focused on mafia/mobsters, a world as large as LA Noire, and the gunplay mechanics of Max Payne 3.

I hope that GTA VI will have a single, more developed character.

IMO they put to many resources into GTA Online. I would much prefer Rockstar focus on single player, while just adding a normal multiplayer with the standard modes and what-not.

• Moonplayer likes this

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

Tape Is Love, Tape Is Life

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

This reminds me of a thread we had last summer prior to V's release Grand Theft Auto V is Not Possible 

So I'm going to do something similar to that thread 

Prior to V's release this is how I saw it as  

pryuWG3.jpg?1

After V's release this is how I saw it as 

TfVDzR7.jpg

• Official General, MilezDawg, bish0p2004 and 3 others like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

^^ Whats the name of the beauty on the bottom? :inlove: 

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

Tape Is Love, Tape Is Life

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

^^ Whats the name of the beauty on the bottom? :inlove:

Her name is Kelly Barrett, isn't she hawt !!

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Nope. R* way overhyped it.

"hur hur ur r* fanatic u sey thy make better than do but not real"

In the gameplay trailer, Rockstar say the driving is "fun and responsive".

As someone buying the game, I would expect the driving to be fun and responsive. That's what R* said. That's not something I've made up, that's straight from R*.

I'm playing the game, and to me, the driving isn't fun and responsive at all.

What about all the stuff mentioned in previews? Switching to a character and having an optional mission, like stealing the white 9F. Or Michael's family actually doing stuff. They don't do stuff.

What about when R* said we could find bodybags in the desert and investigate? That's not there.

Nobody's overhyped the game. People were hyped about what was seen in the marketing of the game. What was shown in marketing is not there.
  • sqre, Official General and matajuegos01 like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

By the way, I wasn't trying to say R* didn't overhype the game. I was just saying most of the fans did, or at least were really hyped for it. 

Coin
  • Coin

Game Over

• The Connection
  • Red-Cross

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:27 AM Edited by Insert-Coin-To-Continue, 06 July 2014 - 10:29 AM.

Since we're going with pictures...

After being disappointed by IV, my expectations of V:

Ugly-women-20.jpg

What it ended up being:

Gal-Gadot-as-Talia-Head-al-Ghul-in-Batma

Poll Answers:
1) No

2) No

• kipakolonyasi, Trevorphilipjfry and Frito-Man like this

Octavio89
  • Octavio89

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

GTA San Andreas > GTA V

So, no

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

Superfly

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Good news everybody!

The NG trailer is shown on PS4, so it'll look even better once it releases!

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:32 PM Edited by Official General, 07 July 2014 - 01:32 AM.

First poll, YES.

Second poll, NO. 

I don't understand the logic behind that. Pre-release, R* didn't show anything that wasn't in the game, through the first trailer looked quite different from the final product, which is expected of a game years in the making.

While the story was f*cked, I can't see why people expected the story to be really good. I completely agree with all the criticism centered towards the writing, but almost everyone compares the story to IV's story. Can I ask; why?

Also, people came up with way too much theories. RDR was a masterpiece, Rockstar released many trailers and gameplay videos for that. Why wasn't that overhyped? Because it was a new IP. The biggest problem was that GTA became a huge franchise, so people expected it to be the best game ever. Boo f*cking Hoo.

* With regards to overhyping GTA V, it was not just what Rockstar had actually shown, it was also what they said in previews and interviews. I'll give some examples. At first they said that safehouse properties were not gonna be in the game at first. Then in a later preview, they then said properties were back in the game, cleverly not specifying as to what kind of properties they exactly meant - understandably, many people were led to believe this included safehouse properties, when it was only business properties. They talked about some really exciting, detailed economy system, but the stock/shares was dead boring and so time consuming, and the businesses were hugely flawed. Then they talked about how the big heists were gonna involve sophisticated and exciting planning, but it's now clear that the heists don't involve much planning at all. It's just choosing what which guy need and what method to take. 

And as for the trailers, Rockstar clearly implied that the game was gonna have significant gang and hood action via Franklin's trailer. They even made it look so explosive and action packed, only to find out that it was barely in the game.

* People compare V's story to GTA IV's story simply because IV is the only other GTA title to suitably compare it to, they were the only major GTA titles in the last-gen era. Naturally, and inevitably there will be comparisons made between a successor and it's predecessor. Not being rude here, but you really need to ask such a dumb question ?

* RDR was not overhyped simply because the Red Dead franchise had existed before during the PS2 era, but it was nowhere near as a big, popular, or well-known as a franchise compared to GTA. Many people still had no experience of any Red Dead game, so they did not know what to expect or demand. The publicity and hype surrounding RDR's was not huge due to those reasons. The fact that RDR was a surprise massive hit really should have been self-explanatory regarding the answer to your question. 

* I don't know about being the best game ever, but people certainly expected V to be the best GTA ever and rightly so. Of course, if GTA is a hugely successful, and poplar franchise, of course people are gonna expect a new title to be the best, or something close to it. What else would you expect ? A lowering of standards ? Regression instead of progression ? The same old stuff ? I would imagine most GTA fans would expect much more, it's common sense bro. 

@ Masterfocker

That's just on an individual scale. Some people will do all that stuff you mentioned, they're fans, they're gonna get excited and hyped, it's what they do. However, they can only get excited and hyped on what's given to them, they just feed off on Rockstar's hype, to fuel their own, it's Rockstar that make the game and publicize it, not the fans. Whether that's screenshots or information, or just brilliant marketing/advertising, it's Rockstar did all of those things to greatly hype the game, and that's fine, it's what companies do. The problem becomes big when their products or services just don't live up to the hype, and in Rockstar's case, unfortunately that's what happened for many of it's customers regarding V.

Lazboy summed this up perfectly :

Nobody's overhyped the game. People were hyped about what was seen in the marketing of the game. What was shown in marketing is not there.

We've been over this many times, and I still don't agree with you, it aint gonna change. I just don't agree with the concept that it was fan's own fault that the game was overhyped. From what I read on here, most fans did not have unrealistic expectations of the game, I've said this many times. As always, you seek to find perfectly explained excuses and reasons for Rockstar and as to why V was a disappointment for a large portion of GTA fans. Sorry, just don't agree.

@ The Ghetto Jezus

Loooooool brilliant  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :^:

• sqre, Choco Taco, bish0p2004 and 3 others like this

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:52 PM Edited by Skizzo45, 06 July 2014 - 05:07 PM.

I always said it, GTA V was the most hyped (or over-hyped if you prefer) game of all times in my opinion. Look, the speculation and hype still continues after it's release with countless GTA V dedicated YT channels speculating about updates, dlc or next-gen/PC version

No matter how the game would've been, it could have never lived up to it's hype completely, it was just too big, to far-fetched and exaggerated. 

The trailers, the previews and screens had their fair share and contribution in that gigantic hype ball

I still see videos with thousands of views with titles like ''Jetpack confirmed?'' or ''New DLC confirmed?'' or even ''GTA 6 easter egg found, GTA 6 CONFIRMED''  :panic:

Rockstar could have avoided much of that killing hype if they had shown gameplay way back in 2011 but hey, it wouldn't have been that much fun and excitement anymore right??

When people saw the first trailer they went ape sh*t, they jizzed their pants, their minds started shaping the game at their will already. 

And guess what, once GTA 6 is announced in a similar way, with just a short cinematic trailer, it's gonna be even worse. I can already see it, I'll probably stay away from this forum until the relase.

EDIT: Despite all that, I don't think it's the worst GTA ever like other people do. In fact, I don't know which I like more, GTA SA or GTA V...

• The Odyssey likes this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:59 PM Edited by Deji, 06 July 2014 - 05:00 PM.

This topic should come in a different form. One of those games, but where you write down more specific things you expected, followed by what you've found to be the reality... e.g.:
I expected it to be based in San Andreas. / It was based in a redefined Los Santos.

That's just what I expected this topic to be like when I saw the title :)

I don't feel quite up to the burden and responsibility of creating a topic in this section of the forums (it may turn into an hour long rant - no one needs that) but if someone is willing to do it I'll definitely participate because that would have been more interesting, and allow for some positivity :p

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Oh God, all the pictures  :panic:

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci
  • Ireland

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

What GTA V was to me pre-release:

actual_1364906194.jpg

What GTA V is to me now:

actual_1364906194.jpg

• MilezDawg, TheMasterfocker, Coin and 1 other like this

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

i though nothing could beat vice city to me but around the first heist i gave in and i started loving gta 5 though it has its problems 5 and vice city are still my fav so

1st poll - no

2nd poll - yes

burnzy187
  • burnzy187

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:55 PM Edited by burnzy187, 06 July 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Only thing i dislike about GTA V is some of the map feels empty if this is fixed on NG , PC then V is my favourite 

• gator2765 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users