Photo

So those two earth like planets that were discovered aren't real a

11 replies to this topic
tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:27 PM Edited by tymaster50, 05 July 2014 - 12:28 PM.

http://thenextdigit....anet-prospects/

It's kind of a hard read. 

Spoiler

Looks like we won't be colonizing lol, anyone have any thoughts on this? This could be a sign of other life forms than us out there. there are still a few other planets that have been discovered to have suitable living conditions. 

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

It's not hard to read because of the scientific context, but simply because the author cannot write.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

That is a horrible, horrible article.

• Otter, epoxi, Failure and 3 others like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Tämän Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

It's not hard to read because of the scientific context, but simply because the author cannot write.

Exactly what I was going to say.

The bit that struck me the most was the "probable for accommodating life" bit. I'm sorry, that's really, really not what this means. A planet that probably has conditions that could accommodate life, yes, but probably accommodating life? Ha.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:08 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 05 July 2014 - 01:08 PM.

I don't quite 'get' this trend where people get excited over finding "Earth-like" planets anyhow. Even the most conservative estimates give a number of several billion planets in our galaxy alone, and there are many, MANY observable galaxies that are far larger-- point is that at least a few planets we come across are going to look/be similar to Earth. Doesn't matter (at least now) though, because we're nowhere near close to being able to travel ONE light year, even in a span of a dozen lifetimes, never mind the places mentioned in the above article...which BTW, was pretty poor in terms of qualitty, jussayin' OP.:I

Donald J Trump
  • Donald J Trump

Make Yoga Great Again

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:29 PM Edited by Tony., 05 July 2014 - 01:30 PM.

I don't quite 'get' this trend where people get excited over finding "Earth-like" planets anyhow. Even the most conservative estimates give a number of several billion planets in our galaxy alone, and there are many, MANY observable galaxies that are far larger-- point is that at least a few planets we come across are going to look/be similar to Earth. Doesn't matter (at least now) though, because we're nowhere near close to being able to travel ONE light year, even in a span of a dozen lifetimes, never mind the places mentioned in the above article...which BTW, was pretty poor in terms of qualitty, jussayin' OP.:I

Exactly. There's a better chance of humans getting to Mars and possibly colonizing than humans managing to reach one of those planets. I'd much rather see a Mars landing, too.

• Melchior likes this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:26 PM Edited by epoxi, 05 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

While I admit the probability of meeting extraterrestrial lifeforms or travelling to one of these planets in our lifetime is virtually impossible, I can understand why extraterrestrial planets can be exciting for many people.

As Neil Degrasse Tyson said: if the intelligence difference between us and apes is a tiny mutation of our DNA, imagine what other advanced life forms exist if we add just a few more mutations.

Even if 0.001% of solar systems were habitable, there are of the order of 100,000,000,000 stars in every galaxy and the galaxies themselves are innumerable, other life forms may have been civilised for billions of years before we even existed. Starting to build these probabilities of finding habitable planets can be exciting itself, as every habitable planet we find increases the chances of other life being out there.

For all we know, there be could countless life-forms out there colonising space right now...maybe people are even aware of us (though this is unlikely given we as industrialised humans won't even be observable to most other nearby planets for a few thousand years at least, but of course our understanding of the universe could be so basic that we are only at a stage where we think we are physically constrained to the speed of light).
  • Mince likes this

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

http://www.dailymail...stronomers.html

A better read than the original link

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Well, we can always colonize Mars, at least that's what the Mars One project tries to do...

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'm more excited about colonizing our own back yard first, heh, but Kepler 186 f is a rather cool discovery.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

doing being totally out of control

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

To be fair, I'm pretty sure English is not the author's first language.

Still though, you would think someone would have proof-read it before it was posted.

• epoxi likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Not really any skin off my ass reading that. I couldn't care less about visiting other planets when we got oodles of problems here on our own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users