Quantcast

» «
Photo

SA Chain Game query: Script, Impounds, Saves, Proofed Vehicles, etc.

33 replies to this topic
Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hello everyone!

I am new to gtaforum today with this post so hopefully you will let me off this once if my question is obvious or posted improperly or anything...

My question is this: where are all the save downloads for this very interesting sounding chain game? I am looking for the ones for 'independent play', not that I have something against joining in but I'd first like to get a game running and have a look around for a bit and get used to said modifications before I go and disrupt the collective flow by being the complete newb.

I'm asking because on every topic for it of course there are provided links but those all seem to give 'Error - file does not exist'. I read somewhere that the saves site/program/whatever goes down/offline/whatever sometimes so players should use an alternative, and I want to know what that is.

long story short: who can provide me a link for an up to date version 1 chain game save for independent play? because they would be my hero for today.

Thanks all!

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:57 AM Edited by lil weasel, 05 July 2014 - 07:58 AM.

Reading the entire preamble to the Chain Game is essential..

The Chain Game Hall Of Fame
All Rounds, All Links, All Players

http://gtaforums.com...entry1062159212

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

I thought that I had read the whole thing but obviously I missed something! thanks a lot weasel!

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

ok so i have the save now but it's version 2, I have the script switcher program but I need these version 2 scripts, all the dl links im finding are dead...

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:35 AM Edited by OrionSR, 05 July 2014 - 08:38 AM.

Chain Game 101 v1 Independent Play

Above is the latest version, and pure v1. It's a starter save so you'll need to unlock some of the special vehicles by completing the story.

I recommend figuring out how to switch your scripts between v1 and v2 so you can use saves from either version.

Added: weasel recently posted links to the different script versions in the CG lounge.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

thanks very much I will try this one.

I am trying to figure it out from the 'easy script switcher' topic linked from the chain game page, it seems simple but like I said I need specific files 'version 2 scripts' for which a link is provided but file removed/hidden. A not in another topic said PM JAJ but i'd rather not wait for that as presumably they will be available online somewhere...

OK that file also caused immediate crash even though its version 1 so something else must be wrong.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

OrionSR do those downloads work for you because I just tried them and got

This shared file or folder link has been removed.

also your Chain Game 101 v1 Independent Play will only crash the game. I am new to modding gta so I have no idea how to fix this

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:57 AM Edited by OrionSR, 05 July 2014 - 09:00 AM.

The script switcher worked great for windows XP but hasn't been updated for the current operating systems. It's possible to get it working again by manually setting SA's filepath, I posted an example somewhere late in that topic. However, the basic procedure is to keep a v1 and v2 copy of main.scm and script.img in folder under SA's script folder. When you want to switch just copy the files from the appropriate version and paste them over whatever is currently installed in the script folder. Note that GTASnP will detect and display the "script version" required for the saves.

Added: No sorry. The links were posted only a couple of days ago so I figured they'd still be good. I'm not sure where to find current links.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

well i haven't even gotten around to seeing if the script switcher works for me on Vista because I don't have the version 2 scripts yet: the page instructs where to put those before it says run the program.

and what about this save you've just given me? that didn't work even though surely I don't need the program?

ok forget what I said about the save you just gave me! It DOES work! it was my bad because I'd been renaming folders for the sake of trying to get script switcher up and running. hurrah! thanks. still without v2 scripts though.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

well it's not a problem unless I start needing to use v2 saves in the future, but for the moment I'm good with the save you gave me. My hero! just visited the armory in LS, dont think I'll be using it much but it's very nice to have. good work and all the best on your mod, maybe you'll see me joining in on your boards once I'm familiar with the new San Andreas.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

A note: Do Not Double Post.
If your prrevious post is un-answered, use the EDIT feature to ADD/change/delete Text from the post.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:36 AM Edited by Purplehayes, 05 July 2014 - 11:41 AM.

my apologies. I have a minor unrelated question, on the map it shows 3 'garaged mutant bikes' at the LSPD, are they in the impound from the start? or do they appear after I've done something else? or is it simply my ignorance of the impounds' idiosyncracies which is causing them to be eaten by the game? I went there at the start without triggering any clear area commands and the only vehicle I've used is the BMX.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yes, the impounded mutant bikes are impounded from the start. They usually just get ignored until replaced by random impounds from missions. More than likely they were discarded by the impound garage because CJ didn't constantly watch the impound zone while entering the impound lot. The impounds are tricky and require a little practice to get used to.

Care and Feeding of a San Andreas Impound Garage

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

Okey doke I thought as much I only had a quick run around before I had to go out though and didn't save anything so I can keep them as long as I learn to be careful. Thanks for the link I have actually read that topic already and watched jam8tone's youtube tutorial 'GTA San Andreas Tips and Tricks (MAXIMIZE VEHICLE STORAGE) Mulholland Garage, POLICE IMPOUNDS etc!' but obviously I am still not getting it so I'll have to put in some practice with your save. Cheers!

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

I should probably mention, the Chain Game impounds have been tweaked slightly to make them easier to use. I forget some of the details but, the LS impound zone has been moved a little farther away from the random parked cars to keep them from replacing cars in the garage. The floor has been adjusted in the SF impound so bikes don't spawn in the ceiling, and hopefully other odd sized vehicles still work as well as can be expected. The SF roof was also lowered a bit so it's actually possible to make it down the entrance ramp without the impound door opening and discarding all the cars. I think the only change to the LV impound was rotating it so the vehicles face forward.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

really I think I'm unlikely to be using them very much if at all I only wanted to pull that mutant Sanchez out of the LS impound before anything happened to it since it's the only one mentioned on the map, and I managed to get it after about 20 failed attempts, but at the expense of losing the other 2 in there, about which I am less bothered since there are others stored elsewhere. I'll probably go to the trouble of doing the same with the BF-400 in SF impound and the Wayfarer and PCJ-600 in LV as early as possible and if I'm lucky enough to manage all that will likely go back to ignoring the existence of impounds completely, at least the LS and SF ones as I find using them to be more hassle than they are worth if you're not completely sure what you're doing. maybe when I have retrieved those 4 specials into safe locations I will go about practising using impounds with a useless Perennial or somesuch. I guess you have your reasons for setting up everything as it is but may I suggest that if you want to have a half dozen mutant NRGs and FCRs stashed all around the map but only one of each of the other types then perhaps the duplicated bikes should be the ones kept in impounds while the unique ones are seemingly more deserving of a safe slot in one of the regular garages. Anyhow what's the deal with these mutant bikes beside them looking weird? I haven't come across a whole lot of explanation of that aspect of your mod aside from 'custom wheels the game sticks on in funny places', I suppose there is more to it than that?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

No, you've got the basic idea. We experimented with a lot of things (anything that works with standard scripts and data files), there are even mod wheels on a tractor, a few planes and maybe even a flower pot, and when we found something interesting (an engineless NRG) we stick them in garages to play around with. The mutant bikes were discovered fairly late in rubregg's stint in change of developing the saves. By then most of the decisions had already been made so he was probably looking for someplace else, anyplace else, to store an example of each mutant variation. IIRC, some of them ended up in some really odd places.

Another goal of the CG saves is to encourage players to learn the tricks of the game. We put a lot of effort into figuring out how the impound lots work and tweaking their properties to make them work better, so of course we'd want players to have a reason to visit the impounds. I'm not really sure why rubregg chose to put certain vehicles in specific locations. I suppose I could switch things up if we rebuild the custom saves again but it's not really the kind of thing I'd like to second guess.

The mutant bikes haven't drawn a lot of attention in CG rounds. Maybe this will change now that someone has finally figured out a way to get a Mutant BF-400 out of a mission without cheats or mods. Most of the time the impounded mutants simply get discarded every round. But they end up right back in the impound at the beginning of the next round so they are never really lost. Restarting the round several times a year was part of the design philosophy, so maybe some decisions make more sence in that context.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

All of what you've said here makes a lot of good sense and I compliment you on such a well reasoned response. I should inform you that in this case that goal you mentioned of encouraging players to learn the tricks of the game was somewhat successful as I actually restarted, went back to the impound, and, with the help of the page you linked for me earlier and jam8tone's video, figured out how to use it well enough to retrieve all 3 mutant bikes without them being discarded on my entry/exit. I haven't played around much more with the CG saves or responded to you here since then because I've been away for a week, but from what I have seen so far I like the changes made to the game and it seems to me like a great way of replaying San Andreas a little differently, so thanks for getting me up and running with the mod so quickly. I like having the mutant bikes, even if they only look funny, especially the BMX and cop bike. Cheers!

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

Topic moved because conversation has moved form helping Missions, to tricks in using the game program.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:27 PM Edited by Purplehayes, 17 July 2014 - 04:15 PM.

I have another question: I've been progressing through the story collecting proof vehicles, up to the mission 'Gray Imports' which I have used to make some helicopters and a hydra EP/FP but now I have only space for 'Los Sepulcros' proof Admiral and 'Green Sabre' proof Bravura, as well as one other vacant slot in Los Santos impound alongside EP/FP Leviathan and Raindance, wondering is it possible to successfully impound Cargobob there before and then during this mission without issues? Because I stole one from Las Venturas then used the pimping mission to send it there but when I checked it was invisible.

EDIT: never mind this I'm now 90% certain Leviathan and Cargobob are too big to be deposited/extracted unless you can tell me otherwise.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I'm not really sure. I haven't spent much time working with these vehicles. You might try the Cargobob on the roof of the Doherty garage. I thought I made sure it would fit but it's been a long time since I ran my tests. Another option would be the airstrip hangar which I'm pretty sure was unlocked from the beginning on CG saves.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion I will try the Doherty garage, I already put EP/FP Hunter and Hydra at the airstrip after moving the mutant Faggio to its garage but since I couldn't fit the 'Bob or the Levy in the impound I already put another Hunter in there and was about to try impounding another Hydra for the last remaining space so I could swap the proofed Hunter and Hydra I put in the hangar earlier for a Cargobob and Leviathan but that will mean leaving the 2 most powerful proofed aircraft at the mercy of the Los Santos impound with zero spaces remaining in it. Is it a less risky option to move one of the 3 to the Doherty garage thereby leaving an open space at the Los Santos impound just in case a vehicle is impounded on missions before I can unlock San Fierro? I'm actually finding it a real challenge to get a Cargobob back to Los Santos in one piece without cheats and lose wanted level before police choppers crash it to death, and sometimes it's pretty much a one-hit for NPC Hydras - any tips you can give on that? Cheers.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:42 AM Edited by OrionSR, 18 July 2014 - 10:44 AM.

The El Corona garage can fit a Stunt Plane on the roof if you wanted to try moving the FI Stunt out of the hangar. You might also see what can fit on the Mulholland roof. That garage is a lot larger than expected.

Start with a parked a Hydra and switch to the Cargbob. The NPC Hydra will try to leave as you switch. You might get a better break before the next. The important part though is to avoid that first hit when they spawn with perfect alignment. Fly the Cargobob directly into the center of a large field just across the channel and get out to let the stars bleed away. Keep reloading; eventually you'll get lucky and won't have the heli pursuit that one time the cargobob actually survives to the field.

I'm pretty sure you can paint a cargobob on the roof of the Dillimore PnS (Hunters can be painted). You might want to try this with cheats or something once before risking it. The idea is to have a healthy vehicle for whatever maneuvers need to be preformed for saving or proofing. I suppose if you don't have hydra pursuit it might be a good way to clear the wanted level, otherwise I suspect that is too far to fly such a lethargic aircraft.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the tips I had already failed a dozen times getting the cargobob then after reading this I managed it first time so good going. I didn't try it at the PnS I found it almost convenient to spray the hunters but landing in just the exact spot can take a while and I'm sure I'd never manage it with the cargobob. Dillimore is quite far but I made it past Vinewood in one failed attempt. BTW can you spray Hydras there? because I tried but gave up on getting the door to close. I think I'm alright for garage space now since I thought of moving the Leviathan and Seasparrow to the dock garage. I've done 'Gray Imports' trick for Hydra and every heli except Sparrow, kept original garaged vehicles incl. impounded mutants, and obtained comprehensiveproof Tampa, PCJ-600, Sanchez, and comprehensiveproof Monster from jealous Michelle, and I still have space for Admiral, Bravura and Sentinel before I get kicked out of Los Santos. I am wondering about my other question though: Is it a better idea to leave a space in the impound in case a vehicle is inadvertently impounded as I am progressing through the missions, or would it not make a difference? cheers

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Oh yeah, dock garage - good thinking. Yes, your reasoning is sound. I lot of people have expressed frustration with accidental impounds. Your strategy might save a lot of headaches. At this point you probably have more experience actually using the impounds to store special vehicles than I do.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi again I have another question, I've moved on to the mission Doberman and I'm using gang wars to max all my weapon skills without having to worry as much about getting busted, but when I'm hesitant to take over all territories because in the notes a passage reads: 'Some zones have been adjusted so gang wars can be triggered in SF and in LV' and I wasn't sure how to do this. Is it necessary to go to SF or LV and kill some gang members and trigger it before I take over the whole of Los Santos? Can it still be triggered if I own all territory in LS but haven't been kicked out of the city yet? Can it be triggered once I'm kicked out of the city? Or after the mission 'Are You Going To San Fierro'? Can it be triggered during the second bout of gang wars when CJ returns to Los Santos and the whole map is unlocked? And when it's triggered will there be gang areas marked across the whole city or only in the area in which you killed those gang members to start gang wars? Thanks.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

The gang wars will be disabled between Green Sabre and Home Coming, just like normal. The main difference is that any SF and LF turfs taken by CJ will remain under Grove control for the rest of the game. There are enough turfs in SF and LV to account for the 35% required to continue the story at the end of the game. The extra gang turfs are not in mission intensive areas so if you ignore the restricted turfs it won't make a huge difference to the rest of the game. If you want to take over 4-star gang turfs you'll need to survive the cops triggered by the constant wanted level between wars. It doesn't matter if you do LS turfs first, last, or not at all. The SF and LV turfs can be taken during the late game gang wars, but you'll miss one of my favorite challenges in the CG saves.

A bit of warning, 4-star gang wars are really tough. So tough that we felt it necessary to increase CJ's max armor by 100 to make learning how to do it a reasonable challenge. Even then, you'll probably want the bonuses from vigilante, paramedic and burglary too. Be sure to collect a lot of the horseshoes, snapshots and oysters to free up some room in the pickup pool or the health and armor spawned between war waves is liable to disappear before you can collect it - you're going to need it. It's a good idea to occasionally retrace your path through the war zone to give the dropped weapons and money pickups a chance to fully expire and free up their slots.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Ok thanks a lot I'll give it a shot I already did Vigilante Paramedic and Burglar very early on but will have to do some collectibles first I guess. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to clean up in Los Santos as there will be enough cops and gang members to shoot in the other 2 cities to max out my Pistol, Desert Eagle, SMG and Shotguns which are all that's left to do before taking the last 2 territories of Los Santos. At least if I do that I can go straight back to SF or LV if I get killed and spawned back at LS without detouring to defend the turfs I already have there. I'll probably get my ass handed to me as I don't do loads of 4-star stuff but maybe I can make it a bit easier on myself by taking any hostiles out from the rooftops. cheers!

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:55 PM Edited by OrionSR, 20 July 2014 - 07:57 PM.

Don't be disappointed if it takes a while to get started. It takes a while for me to get back into the groove after a long break and I've had quite a bit of 4-star experience. My favorite trick is to use the jetpacks. The primary advantage is that CJ can't be run over by the mayhem that spawns at the end of a war, but it also provides easy access to rooftops and escape routes.

Tip: Keep an M4 equipped as the primary weapon and the Mirco-SMG for use with the jetpack. Then you can pickup the dropped Micro-SMGs and ease the pressure on the pickup pool. I usually carry an AK for the same reason but if you are learning you'll want the extra range of the M4. Find a good spot, drop the jetpack, hold aim and back over the jetpack. Keep holding aim even though it's slower to move around and takes more time to reload. When you drop the aim the jetpack will automatically be equipped. Be aware that when the pickup pool is full the dropped jetpack is very likely to get eaten when you open fire on the first group of targets, but it can't be taken if he's already picked it up.

Purplehayes
  • Purplehayes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:48 PM Edited by Purplehayes, 23 July 2014 - 05:58 PM.

Hey so I went and fetched all the collectibles before having a go like you said I should, then hit San Fierro with a jetpack. You're right it can be quite tough I got wasted early a couple times then got the hang of it and swept 90% of SF turfs in one go without getting wasted, doing it a bit like your suggestion but hanging around on roof tops or doing fly-bys with micro uzi more than strafing around at ground level aiming the m4 with jetpack already picked up.
I have to say once I'd got in the swing of it it wasn't as hard as I'd first thought but the most frustrating thing was wasting so much time just looking for gang members to start a war, which is occasionally a problem even in Los Santos without the 4 stars but they made it worse because the cops shooting at me kept scaring away all the gang bangers driving around in cars so i couldn't catch and kill them to trigger it as easily.
Even so I got all of SF done eventually and it was quite fun but unfortunately one of those drivers freaked out by the cops also ran me over when i was trying to trigger one and got me busted for the first time. Normally I'd have loaded but not after spending so long taking over the city without a save, I'll deal with it, I'm wasting myself to collect proofs anyway so it's not a big deal.
If I played again I'm not sure I would take the time to do it but maybe I would, and I like the idea of already having a load of GSFs wandering the other 2 cities when I get to the missions there, so that's definitely an incentive to take the trouble and I will be taking over LV on 4 stars as well in this playthrough.
I had some other questions but right now the only one I can remember is about the submarine... is that just an easter egg to go have a look at or can you do something there?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users