New game engine?

66 replies to this topic
Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

So I'm not at all saying RAGE is a bad game engine, I wish other games used it actually. But GTA keeps using it so much I fear that they my keep modding the engine to try and keep up to new game engines, like Fallout who used a 2006 game engine. I just feel they're better game engine right now than RAGE, I know GTA V was made for last-gen however after seeing game engine trailers for Cryengine, and Snowdrop engine. Those engines are made for next-gen, I just hope R* doesn't butcher the RAGE engine, its a great game engine but I think its time for RAGE 2.0!

• MichaelPayneV likes this

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

GTA games never had the best graphics out there. it's gameplay that makes GTA awesome. i think they should focus more on that.

• ddyoung, Taki Owaki, burnzy187 and 8 others like this

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

The fact this GTA has decent/great graphics is just a huge bonus. Even at the time SA looked blocky and cartoonish. The gameplay and freedom do whatever the f*ck you want makes GTA great. This one even more as you can fly planes, explore the sea under the waves, run around punching old people. Heck you can't even raise your fist in WatchDogs and them graphics are great.

• CanOdope likes this

EZza2647
  • EZza2647

The Original Funktopus

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Yeah. Although according to the devs, the RAGE engine is really dev-unfriendly.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

How about we give this engine time to mature? It's clearly capable of great things, lets see what happens when it's really pushed. 

This is part of the problem with gaming - in particular the PC market. There's never enough time for new tech, whether software or hardware, to fully mature. That's what consoles are winning in numbers these days - they're solid, immutable platforms that give the developers several years to tweak, polish and hone. Constantly shifting the goalposts for GFX cards and the like just means we end up with a class war, essentially - the peasants, the master race. 

Can't we all just be gamers? If we give these things time to shine, we may all actually achieve some sort of harmony. 

WHAT? 

• theNGclan, Cutter De Blanc, stjimmy3 and 1 other like this

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

which devs? is RAGE also used by any non-Rockstar studio?

EZza2647
  • EZza2647

The Original Funktopus

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:31 PM Edited by EZza2647, 04 July 2014 - 03:34 PM.

which devs? is RAGE also used by any non-Rockstar studio?

No, Rockstar devs.

Take a look at this: http://www.glassdoor...-RVW2468214.htm

There's more reviews by employees just like that on there too. This is more than likely the reason Heists have been delayed

• kipakolonyasi likes this

J-B
  • J-B

Two Faced

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:32 PM Edited by J-B, 04 July 2014 - 03:33 PM.

SA looked quite a bit worse than it's contemporaries(other OWG's), that didn't stop it from being the far better game. The fact that V looks better than most of it's contemporaries and is better than most of them is quite impressive.

• CanOdope likes this

Ruscris2
  • Ruscris2

Snow Storm

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

I doubt Rockstar will change their engine anytime soon. The reason Rockstar created RAGE in the first place is that RenderWare (3D era engine) was not their property. And besides that, it's a great engine, look at GTA V, a few months of development and a few lines of code slapped onto it, and boom, next gen graphics. And also, the longer it lives, the more time they get to build up proper tools and editors for it, so they can get games out quicker then before. My guess is that they won't change it until the end of the decade, maybe even past that.

• CanOdope likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

a few months of development and a few lines of code slapped onto it, and boom, next gen graphics.

Well, I'm pretty sure what actually happened was they developed for the higher end machines FIRST, then optimised downwards for PS3/360. The year since has been spent perfecting those initial versions, based on feedback from the fans. 

• Spaghetti Cat, GourangaMaster, Cutter De Blanc and 1 other like this

MichaelPayneV
  • MichaelPayneV

Almost Gamer

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

So I'm not at all saying RAGE is a bad game engine, I wish other games used it actually. But GTA keeps using it so much I fear that they my keep modding the engine to try and keep up to new game engines, like Fallout who used a 2006 game engine. I just feel they're better game engine right now than RAGE, I know GTA V was made for last-gen however after seeing game engine trailers for Cryengine, and Snowdrop engine. Those engines are made for next-gen, I just hope R* doesn't butcher the RAGE engine, its a great game engine but I think its time for RAGE 2.0!

Well, i think the Next Step should be Fox Engine, i mean they are pretty similar, almost identical Rendering and Lighting effects!

I always felt Fox Engine as being "RAGE 2" Don't know why, maybe it is, maybe Kojima Prod and Rockstar worked on this Engine for a while, i just can't but see MGSV Graphically as a Rockstar Game, i just can't get that out of my head...and eyes!

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

I see no reason whatsoever to change engines. RAGE is a monument to what smart programmers can do. I also respect Rockstar for sticking with it as in fact they are the ONLY developers who tell you the truth about their engine. Examples:

EA and Dice would have you believe BF4 runs on a different engine from BF3. This is a lie. It's the same engine with some tweaks here and there. It is not a new engine at all.

UBISOFT would also have you believe that all these Assassin's Creed games are running on newer and newer engines. Also bullocks as they are all reiterations of the exact same engine with again, minor tweaks.

Even a PC only developer, Bohemia Interactive, flat out lie worse than any other developer out there. Real Virtuality used in their latest title Arma 3, is built on the exact same foundation as Operation Flashpoint, a game from f*cking 2001. And because of this foundation it has the same limitations; horrible multithreading and performance and visually lacking environments.

So no OP, I don't think Rockstar need a "new" engine. They're the only ones in the industry who are honest about their engine and not only that but from a game designer perspective I can confidently say no other game developer shows as much love and hard work/good intentions with their game's engine as Rockstar. Those folks simply hold themselves to a significantly higher caliber. And I don't want that to ever change.
  • Ruscris2, theNGclan, TheIllaDopest and 4 others like this

_CP_
  • _CP_

Group: Vice City Stories team

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

It's time to see 3rd incarnation of RAGE on PC!
  • Aleph-Zero likes this

J-B
  • J-B

Two Faced

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

You guys realize that RAGE is constantly evolving right ? Think of it like the Unreal engine over the years.

I'd say we saw it's peak in RDR and MP3, and we got a mildly dumbed down version of it V, most likely due to it's scope in comparison to those two games.

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

First of all, I think you should check your spelling more often and second, GTA games have never focused on graphics and eye candy, they were never the best looking games when they came out. 

A new engine would mean starting from zero and a total mess especially for PC gamers. The reason why GTA IV was a messed up port on PC in terms of performance was the fact that it was Rockstar's first time working with RAGE, now that they understand how to manipulate it better throughout all these years of experience we can safely say that GTA V will be a good PC port just like Max Payne 3. There is also a major improovement in almost every area in GTA V.

A new engine would mean a new start which would be a pain in the ass. You know what they say, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

I see no reason whatsoever to change engines. RAGE is a monument to what smart programmers can do. I also respect Rockstar for sticking with it as in fact they are the ONLY developers who tell you the truth about their engine. Examples:

EA and Dice would have you believe BF4 runs on a different engine from BF3. This is a lie. It's the same engine with some tweaks here and there. It is not a new engine at all.

UBISOFT would also have you believe that all these Assassin's Creed games are running on newer and newer engines. Also bullocks as they are all reiterations of the exact same engine with again, minor tweaks.

Even a PC only developer, Bohemia Interactive, flat out lie worse than any other developer out there. Real Virtuality used in their latest title Arma 3, is built on the exact same foundation as Operation Flashpoint, a game from f*cking 2001. And because of this foundation it has the same limitations; horrible multithreading and performance and visually lacking environments.

So no OP, I don't think Rockstar need a "new" engine. They're the only ones in the industry who are honest about their engine and not only that but from a game designer perspective I can confidently say no other game developer shows as much love and hard work/good intentions with their game's engine as Rockstar. Those folks simply hold themselves to a significantly higher caliber. And I don't want that to ever change.

AC3 and AC4 clearly used another engine than the past games. Unity might also use a new one but I don't know.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:25 PM Edited by Aleph-Zero, 04 July 2014 - 05:26 PM.

I think RAGE will do for this gen atleast. Maybe they'll have to make RAGE 2 for next-next-gen

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

They don't have to make a totally new engine though. They can continue on improving it, rather than starting from scratch you know... Rockstar San Diego is responsible for the engine, and if you look at GTA IV and compare it to V, you'll see the potential it has regarding future installments.

The only thing I hope for is that they'll keep improving Euphoria related stuff too, as V has it really toned down...

J-B
  • J-B

Two Faced

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I think RAGE will do for this gen atleast. Maybe they'll have to make RAGE 2 for next-next-gen

Rage is already past V2 or even V3. Look at every game after IV using Rage. There are obvious large improvements, and I'm not just talking about graphical fidelity.

• G.S.T likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

AC3 and AC4 clearly used another engine than the past games. Unity might also use a new one but I don't know.

Wrong. Their supposed AnvilNext engines are really nothing more than modified Unreal Engine 3. I suspect AC Unity will be a modified UE4 at best. Worst case it's still running modified UE3.

Either way it's this lying about engines that I can't stand. These people tweak up animations and lighting a little bit and they call it a new engine.

Rockstar knows what a new engine is. They did it with RAGE and they haven't done it again since. They acknowledge that with these new iterations of RAGE in games like RDR, MP3 and now GTA V, that they are really just building on the same engine. I have a tremendous amount of respect for them because of this one fact alone.
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

RAGE is just a name.

They can keep improving it without a rename you know.

deadly-deed
  • deadly-deed

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:21 PM Edited by deadly-deed, 04 July 2014 - 09:22 PM.

Rage

Rockstar's
Advanced
Game
Engine
  • Cutter De Blanc likes this

high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Without reading others posts:

Why do people think they are going to get a completely new game?

Now down to asking if they will use a new engine for gta v. ?

I think it will be a great port :)

RominOctane
  • RominOctane

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:40 PM Edited by RominOctane, 04 July 2014 - 09:41 PM.

RAGE is just a name.

They can keep improving it without a rename you know.

This. I hope it evolves quite a lot by the time gta 6 is out. The Snowdrop engine is the best next gen engine so far in my opinion. The division just looks mind blowing, not just graphically. I hope we can see RAGE pull off something like that by the time GTA 6 is out.
  • high91 likes this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

I think RAGE has been improved with every new game that Rockstar have released. The graphical detail and frame-rate are a sign of this imo.

• adictoGTA and BlackScout like this

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:03 PM Edited by Aleph-Zero, 04 July 2014 - 10:04 PM.

Without reading others posts:

Why do people think they are going to get a completely new game?

"Without reading other's posts:"

Should've stopped there. I don't think you read the title either.

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

i adore this engine i would be dissapointed if they wen't with something realistic like snowdrop i love the bright colorful cartoonish like happy graphics red dead redemption was beautiful

• dice, adictoGTA and DaRkL3AD3R like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

RAGE is an evolving in-house engine. It's already on its third incarnation which first appeared with Max Payne 3, GTAV also uses version three.
  • gamerzworld, Ss4gogeta0 and G.S.T like this

RominOctane
  • RominOctane

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

i adore this engine i would be dissapointed if they wen't with something realistic like snowdrop i love the bright colorful cartoonish like happy graphics red dead redemption was beautiful

They can make the Color palette realistic and gray like Watchdogs and the division if they wanted, it's not that the RAGE engine can't do it, I mean look at GTA 4, but it's the art direction that they choose to go.

They are both good art directions and I don't mind if the next gta is like that as long as it fits the game. IV was a concrete jungle, dark game so the "gray" graphics made sense but V is a more vibrant, playful game so the colorful graphics fit nicely.

AhmadJ
  • AhmadJ

Prankster

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

gta v's game engine is unique

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

speaking of graphics... does anyone else think car models were better in GTA IV? especially the ones that exist in both games, GTA IV one always looks better to me. for example what's up with the glossy tail lights in GTA V? in GTA IV tail lights look more plastic more realistic... i don't know maybe it's just me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users