Photo

Search is still broken!

5 replies to this topic
Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:33 PM Edited by Sting4S, 04 July 2014 - 01:34 PM.

I'm basically going to continue off from my last complaint thread with pictures (below: I've done this exact search just like this for over a year now, and it worked up until a few months ago):

Mybrd5K.png

These are the results I got:

XV5Vbj7.png

When I used to do this search before that random update in May, I got a lot of results in between May 1-14 and May 14- 2 weeks ago. But now every time I do a search, the results are this random and a lot of results that should be there are missing. Sometimes the first result will be June 29th and the second one will be February the 28th. I used to enter dates in my search to get better results from the past 3-4 days but now that no longer works.

It kind of makes the search function useless and I barely use it anymore because it doesn't give me what I want to see. On top of that, my user post count is screwed up. My latest 2-3 posts are always not showing up. I have to post some more for those results to show up, but still the most recent results don't show up.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Annoying Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

It works perfectly well for me, no random dates. It goes down in correct order.

What are you trying to find? Because everything I search for "StingrayX" comes up, last thing showing is 2 weeks ago and down for me too. If you're trying to find your posts, they won't show as you're looking for people who have quoted/said 'StingrayX' in their post. If you want to look at your own posts, go to your profile (or hit your name in the top right) and hit "My Content" and you can see all your posts, to a certain date.

Tank
  • Tank

Gangsta

• None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for reporting this again. (Un)fortunately the search function is working correctly for me too, using the exact same term/settings.

I have also checked your account directly and I see the exact same results as I do using my moderator account - nothing looks random or temperamental. I'm not sure what to suggest, but this is either unique to your client/browser or so temperamental that we haven't been able to replicate it.

It's normal for your most recent posts to not always show up immediately - new posts won't show up in results until the search indexes are updated, which happens every 30 minutes. The content of edited posts will only show up in results when a full search index rebuild happens, which is every 24 hours.

• Sting4S likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. @Kalvin, that's the problem. I'm trying to find posts that have my name in them (mostly as quotes) and I know for a fact that there have been a lot of replies towards me in between now and two weeks ago.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:06 PM Edited by Flynny, 04 August 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Thanks for the replies. @Kalvin, that's the problem. I'm trying to find posts that have my name in them (mostly as quotes) and I know for a fact that there have been a lot of replies towards me in between now and two weeks ago.

I also think it does not go by order of post date, not fully, or like it should, it seemed to when I ran it, on the first page at least, but then the subsequent pages blew that theory to poop. Went from October last year year to June of this year. Each page seems to be in order but the pages do not follow each other on that order order through, so you won't pick up where you left off when crossing pages. This is just what I noticed.

It is kinda like having chapter 1 being pages: 1 4 7 19 23 44, and chapter 2 being: 2 5 11 16 19 51

I think the pictures melded together, sorry about that.JaSbb4O.pngHVsqo9O.png

NYey546.png

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:17 PM Edited by Adriaan, 04 August 2014 - 07:28 PM.

Yup - search function have been acting all wonky for a while now.

I replicated the same issue the reported user is having by searching for my profile name, "Adriaan". The latest results are January 27th... although posts of mine have been quoted since then. The problem seems to come and go.

Thing is, it's not really a technical issue but the way the search function works on this newer version of IPB. The default sorting order is, "Last Update Time". So whenever an older topic gets bumped, that topic will show up first in the search results for your query.

As an example:

If someone posted the phrase "GTAV is a video game" on January 1st, and another user posted the exact same phrase on July 1st... the topic that was last bumped will show up first in the search results. Let's say the topic from January was recently bumped, then the post containing that phrase will show up first - not the one from more recently. This is why it seems like newer posts are "missing".

EDIT: This only happens when under "Display Results" you use "As posts" versus "As a topic list". If I use the latter, then I get a results output displaying more recent mentions of the phrase, e.g. "Adriaan".

EDIT 2: To get around the above issue, specifically restrict it to a desired date range. If you specifically select the more recent months, you'll get more recent results.

H7noIcl.png?2

• theadmiral likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users