Quantcast

» «
Photo

What do you DISLIKE about GTA IV's story?

117 replies to this topic
The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

I liked this game, but what kind of got me about the story was the heavy involvement of the McReary family. You do missions for Packie, Gerry, Derrick and even Francis. It was almost like how at some point, the game placed a lot of focus on them. Sure, we had Niko dealing with different types and they all were connected to various contacts, like Playboy X being an associate of Elizabeta, the Pegorino crime family working with the McRearys, etc. Sure, Packie stays around as a friend and the closing bit with the storyline was Gerry telling you that he is in jail for life. Also, depending on who you kill between Derrick or Francis, you don't see either anymore, though you can call Francis to bail you out of a jam in regards to wanted level. Derrick, on the other hand, just disappears.

One other thing, depending if Kate dies in the end, did anybody notice that Packie said that he was the only one his mom has left? I know the fate between Francis and Derrick was determinant, and I know it was only a piece of dialogue that Packie said that she had "that smack-head Derrick," but even if you did spare him, I wonder what could have happened. I know in V, Packie said that he died (Depending on whether you killed him or maybe he OD'ed), but I can only guess he died by the end of IV if that were the case.

I didn't mind that bit of storyline with that family, but it seemed like there was a lot of focus on them at some point.

• Sting4S likes this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

All portrayed well, though. I really loved that period in the game. Packie was a character that was funny and a friend. I loved how IV emphasize how diverse NY is in real life. Little Jacob and Niko get a long great. Dwayne, not so much, they have a tendency to reflect of bad times. Niko isn't very open. I think it would be weird if he was.
  • Sting4S and Kampret like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

I did love those McReary missions too. They're some of my favorite in the game from the shootout at the law firm office to the heist.

• Mr_Leone, thekillerdonuts and Kampret like this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

Packie was wasted in V. Wouldn't it have been awesome if he said something in the cutscene? Perhaps show leadership before the Paleto heist, calming down T and M.
  • theGTAking101 and Kampret like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

I've loved the story ever since I first finished it in March 2009. When I started to replay IV every summer since 2012, my love for the story has only grown. So unlike some people, I'm not praising IV's story just because I didn't like V's that much. And there's barely anything about the story that I don't like. What vanilla IV lacked, EFLC made up for it,

This. I loved IV's story the moment I finished it in 2008. GTA V's average story doesn't influences IV's IMO. It was already great before GTA V was a thought on paper.
  • Mr_Leone, Sting4S and Kampret like this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

I liked Dave Norton and Michael, Franklin was poorly developed but I liked him. Trevor was a mess, but that's not Ogg's fault. Just a bad script.
  • SonOfLiberty, The Odyssey, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Another thing I didn't like about IV's story is that Mikhail Faustin had to be killed.

Despite Mikhail's craziness, him and Niko seemed to get along well. While Dimitri was the paranoid one of the group; little did we know he would become the main antagonist.

I felt like Faustin could've been a big part of the story if he stayed alive. Maybe whereas Niko works for him for a long time, then does other side work for the McReary's, Pegorino, etc. Then towards the end, Faustin's Russians get into a conflict with the Pegorino's, and Niko has to choose which side to take. I know this probably sounds too much like the endings for A/B in GTA V, but I thought this would be interesting. Just a thought.

Kampret
  • Kampret

Hyped for Windows 10.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Another thing I didn't like about IV's story is that Mikhail Faustin had to be killed.

Despite Mikhail's craziness, him and Niko seemed to get along well. While Dimitri was the paranoid one of the group; little did we know he would become the main antagonist.

I felt like Faustin could've been a big part of the story if he stayed alive. Maybe whereas Niko works for him for a long time, then does other side work for the McReary's, Pegorino, etc. Then towards the end, Faustin's Russians get into a conflict with the Pegorino's, and Niko has to choose which side to take. I know this probably sounds too much like the endings for A/B in GTA V, but I thought this would be interesting. Just a thought.

Finally someone mentioned it. Faustin was kind of a jerk, but I'm very attached to that guy. And I'm sure that Jimmy wasn't even an antagonist at first, until the events of A Dish Served Cold.

That's one of the reasons why I love GTA IV's story. Everything can be twisted in some kind of a delicate way, and R* managed to get us attached to some antagonists.

• theGTAking101 and jkim_1 like this

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, I really thought Faustin was going to be a big part of the game before he died.

I was actually kind of upset that I (as Niko) had to kill him because of the whole Petrovic incident. f*ck it, Niko and Faustin could've teamed up and thrown Dimitri under the bus and killed him instead. Before you kill Faustin, he rants about how Dimitri will betray him... He was right. Niko made the wrong decision by killing him, but that is also what made the story.

lucy12345
  • lucy12345

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

There should have been a choice whether to kill Faustin or Dimitri for that mission

thekillerdonuts
  • thekillerdonuts

Jelly Filled

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

You kill Faustin so early in the game and the mission Russian Revolution really sets the motion of the story. So, having the choice to kill Faustin would create 2 ENTIRELY different stories in the one game. I am more than happy with it staying the way it is, as it perfectly fits the theme of the game.

• Boxman108 and Kampret like this

SuburbansWorst
  • SuburbansWorst

Lance Vance Dance Crew Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Dimitri didn't seem like he'd be the antagonist in IV. He wasn't really that bad early in the game then out of nowhere he became like way more cruel and evil than Faustin. I was hoping Faustin would have a presence in the latter half of the story because it could have opened the story up about his family and how they react to Niko coming to kill the patriarch

nobum62
  • nobum62

Douchebag who owns a chromed Furore GT

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

kevin de santa is open to his own opinion, but if he hates IV as much as he does he's a f*cking troll for constantly spending hours around here to tell people how much he hates the game.

On-topic, if we can count TBOGT as a part of IV's story I've got to say how confusingly stupid Rocco's rank was in comparison to his uncle Vince. Vince was older and seemed more-so the serious mafioso type, yet the story portrayed him as nothing when it came down to who Luis but a bullet into. However Rocco's position comes into question a bit, he's young and stupid, yet seems as if he's constantly switching between being an associate and a made-man with his dialogue. Very confusing.

Since Rocco was an arrogant punk, do you think maybe he acted like he was a made-man when he was actually an associate?

Kampret
  • Kampret

Hyped for Windows 10.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

kevin de santa is open to his own opinion, but if he hates IV as much as he does he's a f*cking troll for constantly spending hours around here to tell people how much he hates the game.

On-topic, if we can count TBOGT as a part of IV's story I've got to say how confusingly stupid Rocco's rank was in comparison to his uncle Vince. Vince was older and seemed more-so the serious mafioso type, yet the story portrayed him as nothing when it came down to who Luis but a bullet into. However Rocco's position comes into question a bit, he's young and stupid, yet seems as if he's constantly switching between being an associate and a made-man with his dialogue. Very confusing.

Since Rocco was an arrogant punk, do you think maybe he acted like he was a made-man when he was actually an associate?

Seems plausible to me.

Yeah, I really thought Faustin was going to be a big part of the game before he died.

I was actually kind of upset that I (as Niko) had to kill him because of the whole Petrovic incident. f*ck it, Niko and Faustin could've teamed up and thrown Dimitri under the bus and killed him instead. Before you kill Faustin, he rants about how Dimitri will betray him... He was right. Niko made the wrong decision by killing him, but that is also what made the story.

It saddens me when Faustin said "Betrayed! Betrayed by Dimitri and you! Too kind! That's what I was, too kind! I let the snakes into the nest, and they destroyed everything!".

He's kinda similar to Ray Boccino. I don't think Ray was a snitch that has betrayed Jimmy (considering Jimmy asks you to kill Anthony), but he got betrayed, TWICE by other people.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

I think part of Dimitri's sudden cruelty comes from being a bit deranged - it's always seemed to me that he didn't want to accept responsibility for ultimately killing his friend so put the blame entirely on Niko. Of course there are other parts of it, too, like working with Bulgarin, whom had a very similar vice. Perhaps Dimitri (and Faustin) were meant to parallel Niko (and by extension, Roman) in showing the corruption both greed and revenge could lead to.

FrostHard
  • FrostHard

Nothing to see here.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

I'm still wondering why Jimmy P's shot only hit Kate in Mr. & Mrs. Bellic (Revenge). It's not that I like Kate, but his shot could've hit Niko as well.

Also why the hell we still obtain $250,000 after Out of Commission.

• theGTAking101 likes this

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:01 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 29 July 2014 - 08:03 AM.

@Kampret

Ray is an interesting character. There is no doubt in my mind that he was a double-crossing assh*le who desperately wanted to be the "chessmaster", but he never actually screwed anyone over thoughout both IV and TLaD and then he was killed just to warn rats off.

I know setting Johnny and The Lost up for the fall, when they take the heat for the diamond deal could be classified as "screwing them over", but Johnny knew what he was getting into and Ray wanted to gave him a fair cut. Johnny probably didn't believe he'd get what Ray promised him, but that doesn't change the fact that it was Johnny, not Ray, who was the backstabber in the situation. And yeah, there's also the whole Teddy Benavides thing, but the game doesn't make it very clear who "fired the first shot" so to speak.

@Boxman108

Interesting. I've never actually thought of it that way. It makes sense, Dimitri and Faustin were through a lot and Dimitri would want to pass the guilt to someone else. It's like with Michael who was always so defensive when it came to the North Yankton set up or in the A ending.

Also, parallels between protagonists/major characters and antagonists? R* seem to really like those.

Niko = Darko/Faustin

Roman = Dimitri/Pegorino

Michael = Dave

Trevor = Haines

Franklin = Weston

Kampret
  • Kampret

Hyped for Windows 10.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

I'm still wondering why Jimmy P's shot only hit Kate in Mr. & Mrs. Bellic (Revenge). It's not that I like Kate, but his shot could've hit Niko as well.

Also why the hell we still obtain $250,000 after Out of Commission.

Probably Jimmy got a bounty after Mr. & Mrs. Bellic Revenge. He's being hunted by the whole LC underworld.

@Kampret

Ray is an interesting character. There is no doubt in my mind that he was a double-crossing assh*le who desperately wanted to be the "chessmaster", but he never actually screwed anyone over thoughout both IV and TLaD and then he was killed just to warn rats off.

I know setting Johnny and The Lost up for the fall, when they take the heat for the diamond deal could be classified as "screwing them over", but Johnny knew what he was getting into and Ray wanted to gave him a fair cut. Johnny probably didn't believe he'd get what Ray promised him, but that doesn't change the fact that it was Johnny, not Ray, who was the backstabber in the situation. And yeah, there's also the whole Teddy Benavides thing, but the game doesn't make it very clear who "fired the first shot" so to speak.

I agree with you. Pest Control never should have happened IMO.

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

I liked Faustin more than Ray simply because he's more wise and it seems like he would've been a better associate of Niko than Ray would have. Faustin wasn't delusional like Ray, he was just someone who jumped the gun a bit and was old school. While Ray annoyed me a bit before he died--- anyone remember when he was with Ashley in the restaurant? That was some weird sh*t. But yeah, he was kind of a scapegoat.

I also agree that Dimitri became all f*cked up in the head because of what just happened. Faustin ordered Niko to kill Petrovic which was a bit too much, and Dimitri panicked which ordered him to kill Faustin because he thought that it would salvage something. Instead he was probably on some crazy drugs after Niko killed Faustin because of his sorrow towards what had just happened... As a result he turns on Niko and tried to blame him for everything. Sometime later in the story Dimitri says something like "you killed my friend Mikhail Faustin", and Niko responds "you know why I killed Faustin". I think this conversation indicates that Dimitri became mentally ill after Faustin's death which essentially made him into a villian.
  • SonOfLiberty and Kampret like this

nobum62
  • nobum62

Douchebag who owns a chromed Furore GT

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:39 AM Edited by nobum62, 30 July 2014 - 02:39 AM.

It saddens me when Faustin said "Betrayed! Betrayed by Dimitri and you! Too kind! That's what I was, too kind! I let the snakes into the nest, and they destroyed everything!".

:)

• SFPD officer likes this

Johan
  • Johan

He won’t see the sun again for years to come

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:47 AM

Honestly.. I wish they would have made the story a bit longer near the end, not a big deal really but ultimate that's basically the only thing I dislike about the game.

And not being able to dive as well..

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

Why would anyone want to dive under LC's dirty, murky water though?

Johan
  • Johan

He won’t see the sun again for years to come

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Just makes me interested to see what's underwater in Liberty City, it's still a mystery to this day.

If diving is out of the question, at least a submarine.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Kampret
  • Kampret

Hyped for Windows 10.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Just makes me interested to see what's underwater in Liberty City, it's still a mystery to this day.

Skip to 1:20

:)

Oh my, that's hilarious  :lol:

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

That's fair enough. Probably a few bodies the mafia had made "disappear".

Flicksy
  • Flicksy

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

I didn't like the fact he's  new to the city, yet he's expected to drive and know where the hell he's going.

The characters say street names like they're supposed to mean something.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

I didn't like the fact he's  new to the city, yet he's expected to drive and know where the hell he's going.

GPS. That is all.

• Official General likes this

thekillerdonuts
  • thekillerdonuts

Jelly Filled

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

GPS. That is all.

lol - that, and Roman is drunk as a skunk.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users