Quantcast

» «
Photo

What do you DISLIKE about GTA IV's story?

117 replies to this topic
Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Well for the most part these days, IV's story definitely gets a lot of praise.

That being said anything isn't anything without a flaw. IV's story isn't any different.

So what do you tend to be critical about GTA IV's story? Note: We won't be using spoilers so please step out of the thread if you haven't finished the game.

As for me, well I feel it's a bit stupid that Niko keeps doing jobs for money when he has a whole lot of money in the bank. I sincerely feel that the economy system in this game is a missed opportunity.

I mean Roman keeps gambling and losing a lot of money while Niko is pretty much rolling in money. So couldn't Niko give Roman his money to pay Roman's debts?

I also feel that the stock market should have really been there in this game. Like setting it in one of the financial centers in the world without a stock market? I feel they could have replaced the ULPC missions.

A debt system would have also been cool although I am not sure if this is part of the story but meh.

I think I might be able to post more but that's it for now.

• theGTAking101, tfroam and Mr.Raspberry Jam like this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

1) the start was way too slow paced. way to many 5min missions of drive here drive there for a long drawn out cut scenes.
2) the storyline tries to portray niko as a good guy when the gameplay is the complete opposite.
3) why is niko in America? that got explained way to late in the story.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

1) the start was way too slow paced. way to many 5min missions of drive here drive there for a long drawn out cut scenes.
2) the storyline tries to portray niko as a good guy when the gameplay is the complete opposite.
3) why is niko in America? that got explained way to late in the story.

1) I agree it doesn't start out exactly as fast paced as SA or VC but it's still good and helps us to get to know the characters better. There were a few memorable missions too such as "Bull in a china shop".

2) The story never potrayed Niko as a good guy nor did it ever intend to well at least for the most part. At the start Niko wanted to stop doing bad things but he just couldn't. He succumbed to it. As for the gameplay, if you do a realistic playthrough of the game it might make much more sense as we're the ones making Niko seem "the bad guy".

3) No it didn't. I'm not sure where you have been looking but it got explained early in the game during the mission "Uncle Vlad" after Niko kills Vlad. He explained to Roman about why he really was in America during that part.

• SonOfLiberty, Mcquiz, lol232 and 8 others like this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Yea I loved the story, very well told. After Roman and Niko won, I think they should have had missions as them being big shots in LC. Maybe getting their crew together and taking care of the Pegorino family and Russian Mafia.

• Android and Revenge of the Donut like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

What do I dislike? Nothing to be honest as whole story was great for me. Sure there was a flaw or two, but it was nothing that much that could ruin the complete picture for me. 

• lol232, SimsDaniel916, theGTAking101 and 2 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Grand Theft Auto IV

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

The choice between Dwayne and Playboy X. I mean, I understand Niko was trying to get money, I also understand its one or the other, but it seems downright shameful and a unexpected twist in Niko's character. If killing Dwayne was forced, I would be very upset.

• Android, MikeTorino13 and Revenge of the Donut like this

WandererNiko
  • WandererNiko

Wanderer

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

Nothing at all. I'd rather say that it'd be amazing that Niko has friends in Algonquin and Alderney, like Bernie or Phil.

I was complaining about that, but, it's a true fact that R* wanted to emphasize those districts in the DLCs. 

Apart of that, GTA IV is like a movie made in a game, I really like the story.

• thekillerdonuts, theGTAking101, nobum62 and 2 others like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

It's difficult to find any negatives about IV's story, but if I had to list one it's I think R* could've done a better job with Roman's gambling debts angle. Despite Niko alluding that Roman spends all of their money this isn't actually the case. I think at certain points in the story money should've been used to pay off the debts or perhaps Roman could've taken Niko's money pretty like Michael's family dies in GTA V.

As for Niko being a good guy as Vercettii42 said no he's not.Has anyone heard of story segregation? Think about the gameplay and stories in every GTA for a second. Tommy's portrayed as a badass, but does delivering pizzas on a scooter reflect that?

To me what happens in regular gameplay is completely non-canon to the story. That's why I don't mind terrorizing the streets because as far as the story gues it never happened.
  • archiebunker, ddyoung, lol232 and 9 others like this

thekillerdonuts
  • thekillerdonuts

Jelly Filled

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:30 AM Edited by thekillerdonuts, 06 July 2014 - 06:36 AM.

As for Niko being a good guy as Vercettii42 said no he's not.Has anyone heard of story segregation? Think about the gameplay and stories in every GTA for a second. Tommy's portrayed as a badass, but does delivering pizzas on a scooter reflect that?

To me what happens in regular gameplay is completely non-canon to the story. That's why I don't mind terrorizing the streets because as far as the story gues it never happened.

SonOfLiberty, you always steal the words right from my keyboard.

On topic:

I'm sorry if i come off as a kiss ass fanboy, but i really don't have gripes with the story itself. I loved the storyline, the pace and the tone. If this counts, i wish you can become friends with Phil Bell after doing the Deal ending and become friends with Bernie after choosing to spare Darko. That would have been really cool. But that doesn't count as story, does it?

• SonOfLiberty, ddyoung, GroundZero and 3 others like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

I really loved the story, especially the beginning. Doing the petty and simple jobs in Broker/Dukes was my favorite parts of the game because it really did a great job at making me feel like I was at the bottom. From the second Niko steps into Roman's sh*tty car to when he purchases the safehouse in Algonquin, you get to see the character and his money grow which makes it my favorite GTA because it does it so well. 

• archiebunker, Killzone3265, Revenge of the Donut and 1 other like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

Hyped for Windows 10.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

It's almost flawless, but 1 thing i dislike is how slow-paced the story is. Make it a (very) bit faster and it's perfect.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:49 PM Edited by Official General, 08 July 2014 - 10:38 AM.

There is nothing to very little that I don't like about GTA IV's story to be honest. The one main thing I would say is that I didn't like the occasional repetitive hitman missions, but even then most of the time they fitted in so well with the story that I was able to overlook this. I would have also liked some more parts of the story that involved major robberies or heists, not near the level of GTA V, but a few more than just Three Leaf Clover. Other than that IV's story was a near perfect showcase of brilliantly written, very interesting and totally engrossing crime/gangster drama and action.

• theGTAking101 and Revenge of the Donut like this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:59 AM Edited by Mr_Leone, 08 July 2014 - 11:01 AM.

This is such a small complaint lol but I wish it was a known fact that Derrick was a snitch. I killed him in IV my first play through and people said I made a mistake. Had to dig into the LCPD database to get that information. Another small complaint is Ray's age. He's thirty two I believe, and says to Johnny (who was 34) that in his day he missed the ice. On other words, his generation missed the meth craze. He said his days were coke and downers. I'd have liked to see more of Eddie Low, one of the best stories never told IMO. More Gerald missions would have been cool. I'd like to see Gerald replace the hitman from the payphone, imagine Gerald telling you to cap the guys who put him in jail? Or whats if X gave you backup, and not Dwayne? Maybe even have Playboy appear later on in the game. I'd like it if Dwayne had gun connections like Jim and would drop them off at Playboy X's crib. Have LJ send some rastas your way instead.
  • Official General and theGTAking101 like this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:47 PM Edited by Official General, 09 July 2014 - 12:35 AM.

I'd like to add that I'd very much wished that the Playboy X and Dwayne Forge story was much longer and more in depth. Something similar to The Wire, but in a simplified form for the game. Gangs, the hood and the projects, drug-dealing, street wars over turf for drug sales, shootouts, gang wars, I'd have loved that. 

• Dr. Robotnik, theGTAking101 and A-Wax8 like this

Crg420
  • Crg420

It's happening! GTA V for PC <3

• New Members
  • Colombia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Roman's death.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

I'm replaying the game again, and while I like the game a hell of a lot (not as much as V, but close), there are a couple of things I don't like:

- Roman being involved in the plot to murder Rivas's gay brother.  I thought he was supposed to be the Bellic cousin who was normal, yet he's laughing and joking around while Niko and Brucie are plotting to straight-up murder someone.

- The writers dropping two interesting characters  from the rest of the game after they're so good in act I.  I'm talking about Michelle/Karen and Ilyena Faustin. There seems to be a spark between them and Niko in the scenes they share (the scene between Ilyena and Niko at the start of Rigged to Blow is one of the best in the game; no wonder a lot of what Niko says ended up in Trailer 1).  And that scene with Karen at the start of the ULP strand hinted that continuing their relationship might have been a more interesting sub-plot that the romance between Niko and Kate.

• archiebunker, SonOfLiberty, lol232 and 4 others like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

- Roman being involved in the plot to murder Rivas's gay brother.  I thought he was supposed to be the Bellic cousin who was normal, yet he's laughing and joking around while Niko and Brucie are plotting to straight-up murder someone.

I've never thought of it like this, but funnily enough I done this mission yesterday. I suppose it is a bit out of Roman's character in this mission in particular.

• theGTAking101 and nobum62 like this

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

My only real issue is that it's alluded to that someone inside the McRearys is ratting on Gerald, he even says so and that he wants them out of the picture. Yet nothing is expanded upon in either IV or the DLCs.

I once heard someone suggest it was Derrick, since he's a known rat. But I doubt someone like Derrick would rat on his own brother like that, that's more of a Francis style move.
  • SonOfLiberty, Kampret and One Man Standing like this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

I hated the whole thing tbh gtavs story is a million time s better

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

That's cool. Why do you decided to post this kind of bullsh*t here? 

• ddyoung, theNGclan, theGTAking101 and 2 others like this

Jioyt 123
  • Jioyt 123

I just don't know what went wrong!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

*gasp* kevin how could you!!! We must clense these forums of your bad attitude towards IV :)

What i really didnt like about GTA IV was that for doing all of romans early taxi missions, you didnt reall get much of a reward. Also what i didnt like was that ypu didnt get another safe house at all on the first island after completing *mission name here* (forgot the name, but you know what i mean)

elhazardvalve4738
  • elhazardvalve4738

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:00 PM Edited by elhazardvalve4738, 09 July 2014 - 05:09 PM.

GTFO mate.

Anyway, the only real issue I had was with the endings, they felt a bit contrived IMO.

• theGTAking101 and Jioyt 123 like this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

• Members

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

Kevin De Santa is the kind of guy who says "mmmmmmmm" out loud when he eats chocolate.
  • lol232, theGTAking101 and Revenge of the Donut like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

Is this the Comedy Central forum?;)

• Shenmue18 and thekillerdonuts like this

EagleStrike
  • EagleStrike

Yo

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Kevin De Santa is the kind of guy who says "mmmmmmmm" out loud when he eats chocolate.

And closes his eyes like in the commercials
  • Mr_Leone, theGTAking101 and Fallcreek like this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

With a story like GTAIV the only gripe I can have is there wasn't more of it.

I'm racking my brains trying to find a significant fault with it. I can't. What other games can you say that about?

A lot has been pointed out already: more Dwayne & Playboy; more Karen & Illeyna Faustin; resolution on the rat who sent Gerald to prison. I would've liked more subplots like this.

I wish killing Ray Boccino was optional. Not a Phil/Ray choice, rather Niko tracks Ray to where ever he's heading in Broker and fights his way through Ray's goons. Ray offers Niko money - big money - to spare him. After all, what else was the relationship between the two based on? Ray then seizes control of Pegorino's organization after having Niko kill Peg. This would all lead up to the deal ending where Ray sells Niko out to Dimitri: if Niko's out of the life, what more use is he to Ray? Especially if snake Ray can get something for himself out of it?

And Jermaine Andrews. What happened to him? I really thought we were gonna see more of him.

• theNGclan, SFPD officer, Dr. Robotnik and 1 other like this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

• Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

I've always wanted to write a fan fiction for Jermaine. He has Grand Theft Auto in his profile. I could see him as a more car orientated Franklin. Imagine if the cop that set the place up was U.L Paper and Jermaine was somehow involved with Oleg Minkov. I could totally see Jermaine having a friend from the projects near the carnival. Then, you've got an excuse to expand on the Broker chapter of the Lost. I could also see Jermaine crossing paths with Brucie because Jermaine could work for Steve.
  • theGTAking101 and Zello like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:44 AM Edited by Zello, 10 July 2014 - 03:45 AM.

^^I actually thought Jermaine was gonna be a protagonist in V after being set up in IV he has to lay low somewhere and ends up in Los Santos

One of the things IV could have done was do more with the Eastern European gangs I wanted more Albanians and probably more things in Bohan with Elizabetha or someone else. Definitely more Playboy X and Dwayne also could have done more with The war the Pegorinos had with the Pavanos

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

Dullard

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Hard to pick out one major bad thing about the story. Perhaps it seems better in retrospect because of GTA V's underwhelming follow up.

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

I think "normal" is stretching it a bit. Roman struck me as more of a "look the other way" type of person who knew full well what Niko got up to in his spare time and didn't have a particular problem with it in principle; rather, he just didn't like seeing it happen up close.

To some extent, I think you can even interpret it as him becoming desensitized to the blood and guts of orgnanized crime as the story goes on. He initially reacts to Niko killing Vlad like you would expect, before taking credit for it later on just to impress Mallorie. This may not have been intentional, but it's interesting.

More to the point, there's only one thing in the story that really bothers me; Niko using his real name when applying for a job at Goldberg's. I get that it's part of the setting that the vast majority of cops are incompetent and will always be so far behind the protagonist as to be irrelevant, but come on. They couldn't think of a humorously transparent alias for Niko to use, like "Biko Nellic"?

• SFPD officer, theGTAking101, Jeansowaty and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users