Member Log

41 replies to this topic
johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think its good if we can all see each others member log.

Its good to know what kind of people we're among. Whether they've been banned before and for what reason. Its only fair. Is there some reason why we dont?

You don't release a pedophile from prison without warning the general community he's gonna live in, do you?

Extreme example, but you get my point.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Andreas, 3 weeks ago.

Member logs are not visible to everyone because that is how IPB works at default. There's only one way to make it visible to everyone and that would be to modify the forum software. I don't think that it is worth the hassle. Not to forget that there is a good reason as to why member logs are private in the first place.

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 3 weeks ago

Some people would probably start to use them in arguments, and others would judge people based on their member logs.

• cookiemonster14 likes this

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by johnny_zoo, 3 weeks ago.

Member logs are not visible to everyone because that is how IPB works at default. There's only one way to make it visible to everyone and that would be to modify the forum software. I don't think that it is worth the hassle. Not to forget that there is a good reason as to why member logs are private in the first place.

What is IPB?

Whats the point of the member log if no one else can see it but Mods? Is it meant to remind you of all the bad you've done so you'd not repeat again? We all know that doesnt work.

I don't think many would care at all. I dont mind if someone see my infractions really. If I've changed as a person then my past is irrelevant.

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

It's to remind the mods all the bad things you've done so they know how to act when you misbehave

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Andreas, 3 weeks ago.

What is IPB?

Whats the point of the member log if no one else can see it but Mods? Is it meant to remind you of all the bad you've done so you'd not repeat again?

IPB = Invision Power Board, which is the software that powers these boards

And you actually just answered your own question. The point of the member log is to keep track of everything rule-breaking you have done in the past. For example, if you have been reminded and warned on multiple occasions and you break the rules again, then chances are that you will get a temporary ban, based on the history of your log. It also plays an important role to full bans, and any other action for that matter.

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

I Have A Beard

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't understand why anyone, aside from moderators, would want to be able to see this stuff. There's no point of benefit to being able to do so.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Franceska, 3 weeks ago.

If you want to see others their member logs, you can just ask them.

...Just don't go around asking random people for their member log...

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't understand why anyone, aside from moderators, would want to be able to see this stuff. There's no point of benefit to being able to do so.

The point is to see what others past is like thats it really.

Kinda like walking around the National Archives or the London Museum.

I guess Im just nosy.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I guess Im just nosy.

Some people made mistakes in their past (Like I have) and don't want everyone to see that whenever they want. They want to start over, change their attitude, and all that without you knowing their past.

And I'm being honest, don't take it personal: It's also none of your business to know what one their past is like.
  • Andreas likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• England

Posted 3 weeks ago

It's to remind the mods all the bad things you've done so they know how to act when you misbehave

Pretty much this, and only this.  We can't uphold the rules properly if we don't know what your history is. If you keep repeat 'offending' then it's time to bring out the ban stick because you're taking advantage of being a guest here.

If member logs were available to everyone, you can also pretty much guarantee certain members would use them against you, whether to make fun or judge you or whatever else. The ones that don't learn we keep a closer eye on and/or get rid of, the ones that actually care about being part of the community just want to forget their mistakes.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I guess Im just nosy.

Some people made mistakes in their past (Like I have) and don't want everyone to see that whenever they want. They want to start over, change their attitude, and all that without you knowing their past.

And I'm being honest, don't take it personal: It's also none of your business to know what one their past is like.

Not always.

Knowing someones past is a right sometimes. Im sure if a ex-convict moved in next door to you you'd want to know from the prison what he/she was in jail for.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City

Posted 3 weeks ago

But this isn't real life, this is an internet forum. Banned members aren't convicts just the same we are not judge, jury and executioner (in the literal sense that is). The only member log you should be concerned with is your own.

• *MURDOC*, Spider-Vice, SonOfLiberty and 3 others like this

BOSS 302
  • BOSS 302

Public Enemy

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 3 weeks ago

People would offend me so much if that happened. Can you imagine if people could access old banned accounts' posts and threads? Oh lord please no. 

• cookiemonster14 likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 3 weeks ago

I just wish we could see other staff members' logs like before the site got updated. Raavi and Kirsty especially probably have rap sheets that would make the average criminal glow with envy.

• Matty, Kirsty, Andreas and 6 others like this

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why exactly would they be envious?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Ha, I never noticed we can't view other staff members' warning logs.
  • SonOfLiberty likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Hodgey., 2 weeks ago.

Why would you?

Your all mods because you're a bunch of goody two shoes, so it's not like anything is going to be there anyway.

• Lesbian_farts and BOSS 302 like this

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by chrisscorsese88, 2 weeks ago.

Technically, aren't Admins allowed to see the Mods' member logs or no? I don't know how IPB works.

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

I Have A Beard

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why would you?

Your all mods because you're a bunch of goody two shoes, so it's not like anything is going to be there anyway.

You'd be surprised. Very surprised.

• Spider-Vice and BOSS 302 like this

BOSS 302
  • BOSS 302

Public Enemy

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 2 weeks ago

Surprise me then.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Must be a feature since the upgrade. I remember being able to view them before on the old boards..

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why would you?

No...........no I wouldn't.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why would you?

Many mods have been warned, even temp banned before.

For example, Raavi removed his old posts so sneaky bastards can't see them. I am the sneakiest bastard here though because I went a few more pages and noticeed all the gif, image, cockstar and trolling spam. I'm pretty sure he was warned, or at least reminded, for spamming. Seddo and Ryan posted their logs in gen-chat before becoming mods and if I remember correctly, both had a verbal warning in the logs. Don't know about other mods but i'm pretty sure some had a warning or a reminder.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Technically, aren't Admins allowed to see the Mods' member logs or no? I don't know how IPB works.

Yep, but I have to go through the ACP.

We have staff members who have been banned from the forums then come back.

The warn log is never an issue when we pick new staff members.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why would you?

No...........no I wouldn't.

You're still as stupid as ever.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Some members are born to be stupid, Murdoc. 

• *MURDOC* likes this

ArchKnight
  • ArchKnight

Dodge Chargerô

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why would you?

Many mods have been warned, even temp banned before.

For example, Raavi removed his old posts so sneaky bastards can't see them. I am the sneakiest bastard here though because I went a few more pages and noticeed all the gif, image, cockstar and trolling spam. I'm pretty sure he was warned, or at least reminded, for spamming. Seddo and Ryan posted their logs in gen-chat before becoming mods and if I remember correctly, both had a verbal warning in the logs. Don't know about other mods but i'm pretty sure some had a warning or a reminder.
I remember seeing Ryan's as well. There was also a picture of Voodoo's member log as well.

BOSS 302
  • BOSS 302

Public Enemy

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 2 weeks ago

Can't we all just get along?

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Can't we all just get along?

Why? There isn't anything going on in here that indicates we aren't getting along? 

Just a discussion about the staff their member logs -- which is what this thread about: Member logs. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users