Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Rockstar going to restrict modding with the online mode?

30 replies to this topic
KaramG
  • KaramG

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:37 PM Edited by KaramG, 02 July 2014 - 11:38 PM.

I feel like GTA Online is such an MMO-esque experience that I can't really see Rockstar allowing there to be any sort of tampering with the game. I don't even know if they are aware how restricting modding would crush the community and what a disservice it would be to those who waited so long for a PC version. I mean, do you really think Rockstar would allow people to mod billions of dollars, clothes, weapons, skins, etc. in a game that is all about collecting money, not to mention a game with shark card microtransactions. It really kind of worries me, because I was so interested in making a cool machinima series for GTA 5 once the PC version comes out, but I now see it will be harder to film with so many restrictions. I understand my worries are all assumption, but it is hard for me to believe they wouldn't restrict this sort of stuff.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:46 PM Edited by r34ld34l, 02 July 2014 - 11:46 PM.

"mod billions of dollars"? That is cheat, not mod.

There is in-game recorder, thun no restrictions.

Can't wait for proper Lindsey Lohan character in-game and meet her in-game then drive over her few times.

• visionist, theGTAking101 and AlreadyTaken like this

KaramG
  • KaramG

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

"mod billions of dollars"? That is cheat, not mod.

There is in-game recorder, thun no restrictions.

Can't wait for proper Lindsey Lohan character in-game and meet her in-game then drive over her few times.

Same thing. It's a modification in-game. Do you honestly believe Rockstar will allow us to use some Barney the Dinosaur skin mod for our GTA Online character?

Luchingador
  • Luchingador

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

off course they will, because who will buy car packs or cute clothing for your character when you can be iron man with powers and everything with a mod, is 100% sure that there will be 0 modding on GTA Online. If they were cool they could give us dedicated servers, but that will never happen too lol.

but mods for GTA V, sure.

bst81
  • bst81

GTA V & Watch Dogs videos

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

I think yes, they will do it :) 

GTA V without mods, is still awesome 

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Midnight Wanderer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Of course they will. They kept fixing the glitches with patches so far. So what makes think that they will make an exception for the PC version?

WalterS_LV
  • WalterS_LV

One ticket to LS please

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

The way I see it, we will be able to mod SP but not Online, because I think they will have 2 separate launchers and directories. Would make sense, because what`s going to happen when GTA6 rolls out? GTA Online 2? I don`t think so. I think there is a reason why they call it "GTA Online" and not "GTA 5 Online". I think that the SP and online will become separate, but the only way to get Online is to buy GTA5.    

• Washuchan likes this

bst81
  • bst81

GTA V & Watch Dogs videos

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

The way I see it, we will be able to mod SP but not Online, because I think they will have 2 separate launchers and directories. Would make sense, because what`s going to happen when GTA6 rolls out? GTA Online 2? I don`t think so. I think there is a reason why they call it "GTA Online" and not "GTA 5 Online". I think that the SP and online will become separate, but the only way to get Online is to buy GTA5.    

I think they will named it as GTA online 2 for GTA VI/ the next GTA series

Lemans
  • Lemans

Prankster

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

I really hope any kind of modding is STRICTLY prohibited and punished in Online mode, including ban if necessary. I don't care about what people do with their single player mode, but Online means playing with many other human players, and it must be done under the same conditions, rules and possibilities.

• Mash1995 likes this

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

I really hope any kind of modding is STRICTLY prohibited and punished in Online mode, including ban if necessary. I don't care about what people do with their single player mode, but Online means playing with many other human players, and it must be done under the same conditions, rules and possibilities.

Or just make it optional. You can join that sctrictly prohibited game mode, where no mods allowed and then FreeRoam mode where no rules exist. Both parties wins, even third one.

• Mash1995 likes this

MistGoose
  • MistGoose

Consigliere

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Some employee at R* also mentioned this. They would like to have multiple cities as the GTA univers evolves.

(How they're going to move past the GTAV SP timeline is unknown to me, since Trevor is a character in Online and he may or may not be dead.)

bindik
  • bindik

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

I hope they will, i think they will :) The modding like skins is okay, but when they join lobby where players play, and dude spawns tanks, jets and kill them ...

Twilight Sky
  • Twilight Sky

Driftin' at the apex, sliding into 1rst.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Some employee at R* also mentioned this. They would like to have multiple cities as the GTA univers evolves.

(How they're going to move past the GTAV SP timeline is unknown to me, since Trevor is a character in Online and he may or may not be dead.)

They don't necessarily have to follow the events from game to game.

Delta India Echo
  • Delta India Echo

somalian masterrace

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:27 AM Edited by Delta India Echo, 05 July 2014 - 12:20 PM.

I just hope there would be atleast a mod to get an immediate injection of a million GTA$

f*ck grinding. f*ck it hard.

• visionist likes this

dxivilea
  • dxivilea

the piss lord himself

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

I really hope they put a free mode with no restrictions where you can still do misisons and sh*t but there is no levels. You can have all the money, all the cars, all the weapons etc... and who cares if you mod a car or a skin, as long as you don't modify the handling or weapon stats/use hacks

RonBWL
  • RonBWL

Brave Wholeheartedly Loser

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

I really hope they put a free mode with no restrictions where you can still do misisons and sh*t but there is no levels. You can have all the money, all the cars, all the weapons etc... and who cares if you mod a car or a skin, as long as you don't modify the handling or weapon stats/use hacks

Not gonna happen since if so nobody'd buy cash cards and their server will be overloaded quickly

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:30 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 05 July 2014 - 04:39 PM.

I feel like GTA Online is such an MMO-esque experience that I can't really see Rockstar allowing there to be any sort of tampering with the game. I don't even know if they are aware how restricting modding would crush the community and what a disservice it would be to those who waited so long for a PC version. I mean, do you really think Rockstar would allow people to mod billions of dollars, clothes, weapons, skins, etc. in a game that is all about collecting money, not to mention a game with shark card microtransactions. It really kind of worries me, because I was so interested in making a cool machinima series for GTA 5 once the PC version comes out, but I now see it will be harder to film with so many restrictions. I understand my worries are all assumption, but it is hard for me to believe they wouldn't restrict this sort of stuff.

Why should they restrict it? It's not like the SP version gets 100% of the updates the online compent was designed to get. SP didn't get any multiple properties in this most recent DLC. And IMO, It's most likely to be left out getting many features released for GTAO in the future DLC.  Historically, the PC version has usually had less restrictions than the online component. In GTA IV, you could bypass RGSC and launch the game directly---unless you wanted to play the multiplayer online component remember?  Even if there will be an online requirement, it won't stop ppl from developing PC based mods as they successfully did back in GTA IV.  Despite the console security system measures, GTAO modders successfully found ways to bypass M$ and PS3 security features and developed game breaking, detailed console menus.  These could god mod player's actions and grief player's characters online, and spam the game world with console freezing UFOs. So the degree of customization and creative license PC modders will have in the PC version should be a piece of cake IMO.

Off topic: One mod feature I've always fantasized about having in GTA SP is a Sims-like ability to let your char work on/repair their vehicles. Doesn't matter if it's a car, plane or boat.  There was a mod in GTA IV which allowed Niko to pop the hood and repair the car if it broke down on the street.  I'd love to extend this ability to allow your char to store stuff in the trunk, repair/overhaul/mod the car in the safety of their garage etc.  Add animations that would let them paint/buff the side of the car with a color of your choosing etc etc.

And yes you can do all of this at LSC. But some of us do actually exist who would prefer an alternative vehicle customization feature to the instantaneous one at LSC  :lol:

*is crossing fingers that R* will be considerate enough to make it easy for modders to add existing and custom designed interiors to buildings on the map*

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

It's the Quenchiest!

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

If it means I get put into a cheaters pool with my friends, I don't give a single solitary f*ck.

Antaxi
  • Antaxi

Homie

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:49 PM Edited by Antaxi, 06 July 2014 - 03:50 PM.

if they not planned abandon gta online in near future

I think they will named it as GTA online 2 for GTA VI/ the next GTA series

LOL. no

If it means I get put into a cheaters pool with my friends, I don't give a single solitary f*ck.

sorry you can't join gta online, with in game mods

i dont how how it will work(consistency/file checking or something) but it will be there for 99%

rodrich266
  • rodrich266

"After five years on the East Coast, it was time to go home

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

I think its possible to have texture and model mods available for online seeing as that won't affect other player's gameplay (because only the player that has the texture/model mod installed will see it and other online players will see the normal texture/model because they don't have the mod installed).

Probably other kinds of mods won't allow online gameplay however

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:36 PM Edited by nkjellman, 07 July 2014 - 08:36 PM.

Personally, I feel that they will have the official GTA Online servers, and no mods will be allowed on those.

Also, I can see, and hope for user hosted servers. I think its a possibility based on how the DNS mods worked in the past. Basically the user would host their own cloud server on their computer. However, it would be fully isolated from GTA Online, so everyone would make a new character which would be stored on the hosts computer and would be completely separated from all their characters and stats on Rockstars servers. The users can put their own jobs, determine the price of everything, the amount of RP, make their own welcome message, and choose if they want to allow mods on their server. I don't see them allowing custom game files to be loaded through the server so you can have custom handling, maps, etc..., but I do see someone making a mod to allow custom mods like that through user servers. I hope for the best because I got some amazing ideas for modding GTA Online, which will make the experience more enjoyable. If Rockstar did allow this, they would get ideas from people to add to their official servers, and they would be able to see how it plays out in the custom server. It would also keep people from trying to mod on their servers as well. As that is what they ended up doing after a few patches on GTA IV PC.

AlreadyTaken
  • AlreadyTaken

I play games

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

he may or may not be dead.

Was that a spoiler? :|

DopeFresh
  • DopeFresh

Member of the Dope Fresh Nation

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

yes they will restrict it.  hopefully pc players will be able to play gta online instead of mod theft auto.

fefenc
  • fefenc

Luis Lopez is The Best HD GTA Character Ever Created

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:20 AM Edited by fefenc, 08 July 2014 - 01:21 AM.

Do you think they'll let a bunch of douchebags ruin GTA Online like they did with GTA IV multiplayer?

A.O.D.88
  • A.O.D.88

Team Yay

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:53 AM

As a pure Single-Player gamer I CANNOT stand rockstar's obsession with this "online" garbage. I am openly rooting for the glitchers and the hackers.

I hope they bring "online" to its knees and literally hack it to pieces!!!!

TalkingPear
  • TalkingPear

Deadly Fruit

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:40 PM Edited by TalkingPear, 08 July 2014 - 03:42 PM.

Of course they will, it would be a mess if they wouldn't.

As a pure Single-Player gamer I CANNOT stand rockstar's obsession with this "online" garbage. I am openly rooting for the glitchers and the hackers.

I hope they bring "online" to its knees and literally hack it to pieces!!!!

I get that you don't like the multiplayer part, but why would you root for glitchers and hackers? Your comment is just selfish if you ask me. Multiplayer has always been a part of the Grand Theft Auto franchise and that won't change, deal with it.

Ruscris2
  • Ruscris2

Snow Storm

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I hope Rockstar bans the CD-key of those who are going to enter the online mode using mods.

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

It's the Quenchiest!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:26 PM Edited by Coolstream, 08 July 2014 - 07:29 PM.

sorry you can't join gta online, with in game mods

i dont how how it will work(consistency/file checking or something) but it will be there for 99%

They did it for GTA IV, I'm sure someone will be able to do it again

I hope Rockstar bans the CD-key of those who are going to enter the online mode using mods.

If only there was some kind of system that allowed me to only use mods in a local game. I really don't see the hate people have towards mods that aren't being used in online.

nik0hue
  • nik0hue

Finnish GTA freak.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Mods are cool as long as you and your friends are having fun, when other players are involved, not cool.

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

It's the Quenchiest!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Mods are cool as long as you and your friends are having fun, when other players are involved, not cool.

I agree fully, even the people thinking it's just for fun are cancerous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users