Why is GTA V so short?

167 replies to this topic
Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, just imagine something that hasn't happened and try and make it happen by staring at the screen until it happens because wishing for miraculous changes to happen to released products always works.

• Scaglietti likes this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:10 PM Edited by Xerukal, 30 July 2014 - 12:15 PM.

@Xerukal

Should we praise V for being an one eyed king among blind? It's nice that it's longer than pretty much any other sandbox game in last few years, but standarts used to be higher.

"Standards should be higher" is the story of video gaming as a whole. But look at where we are today. I'm not going to derail this by talking about gaming "in general". So I'll reply directly... 

How high? You tell me. Because every single person I've talked to outside of these forums, both hardcore GTA fans and casual GTA fans, have acknowledged the fact that this game does have a lengthy amount of content. Whether or not it was to their liking has varied. But that is because subjectivity exists. And it's a beautiful thing. 

@ gtarules_95

Man I also like GTA V but why you always defending the game? its definitely not perfect (no game is)

I have never said it was perfect. I am defending it because I have nothing better to do with my time while waiting for the game to release on PC and finally free me of the shackles that is my existence in the V section. Sad? I guess. True? I don't know.

Why do people like you set their standards so low?

Because some people like to appreciate video gaming as a whole, rather than concentrating on one, solitary aspect (game length, in this case) and demanding, with fierce entitlement, that said aspect be changed and elevated to a higher standard out of absolutely nowhere. Because that is how video game development works. You just make games bigger and longer! That automatically elevates standards to be higher, right? Sometimes, I guess. As with SA. But not anymore, not since we've had incompetent devs like Ubisoft f*ck up something as badly as Watch_Dogs. Now, we're lucky to have a nicely dense game with a lot of detail that isn't a complete and utter f*cking chore. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's the way it is CURRENTLY. 

But hey, no. Your point is that we SHOULDN'T back down our standards because of WD. Okay. I agree. But as long as pieces of sh*t LIKE WD (I actually enjoyed this game, I'm simply joining the bandwagon to help simplify my point for your own amusement) are pumped out, there's absolutely nothing we can do except NOT buy the f*cking game. So start NOT buying and maybe, just maybe, we'll end up with better games. 

I am a hypocrite.

Just because its not short compared to other open world games like Watch dogs doesn't mean anything

But it does. People compare open world games to other open world games all the time! It's why some people are convinced GTA V is more Saints Row-ish, for whatever reason.  

Just imagine the story with more heists and a better and longer ending mission with each antagonist getting one ?!

Oh, I can imagine a lot of things, my friend. I can imagine so much. But I can only imagine. That makes me sad. Does it make you sad? I'll guess, yes. Well, there's also opinions. Some people liked the story in its current state, some didn't (evidently so). 

But no, let's change everything at a whim. Just because. That is exactly how you make a video game. Longer and packed with more sh*t. No thought. No process of seeing if it works as well in practice as it does on paper. Nothing. 

Spoiler

• Officer Ronson and Vec like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Not many people have the patience to replay long games. Some people can barely get through one playthrough. Short and sweet is better than long and drawn out.

And that's a shame. IV's story did not feel drawn out. I enjoyed almost every second of iy. It's much better than a a short story with all action and no substance.
  • TheOtherRyan and Řåvęń like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I've played through IV  3 times I think. Never taken more than a couple of weeks.

hunk41
  • hunk41

Made Man

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Even Battlefield 4's buggy trash story fullfilled me more than GTA V, that's the problem. A lot of the characters were just thrown out by the end, it was definitely rushed.

Gotthejuice187
  • Gotthejuice187

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Dlc

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Can't believe no one has made an awful joke along the lines of "Well, the code name for the game when it was in development was RUSH".

Etc.

rocopc
  • rocopc

Crackhead

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Every one have the rights to be mad at a game and everything they want but this constantly bashing to this game is getting bored

Ok the story is short I agreed with this, but the game it is what it is... Rockstar made that way and thats it... we can only hope for a good story DLC.

• Zackyoung1 likes this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

I love when people included S&F to storyline missions to make it look like "V got 120 missions hurr durr".

In previous games people do storyline missions to unlock most of the islands, which is not the case for V.

• TheOtherRyan and Osho like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

In previous games people do storyline missions to unlock most of the islands, which is not the case for V.

What does that have to do with anything? Is that your theory for why GTA V is short?

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

S&F's have nothing to do with the storyline missions, other than a break from the main plot for a change.
On the other hand, the side missions not only served fresh diversion from the main story, but are also interestingly blended in such a mamner, that you need to do them to unlock the map.

For ex: Wu Zi Mu missions have no direct impact on the plot. He was the S&F of GTA SA with side missions necessary to get that mysterious call to unlock the Desert and LV areas on the map.
Once the mission "Yay Ka Boom-Boom" gets completed, CJ can proceed further with the actual progress in the story.

So, please, for god's sake, don't act like you guys don't know anything what it has to do with anything :p

I f*cking loved the missions structure in GTA SA, and it is a fantastic game by itself!! :^:
  • Official General and Kampret like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:37 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 31 July 2014 - 08:37 AM.

@Osho

I'd be more okay with S&F if they were something more than just leisure diversions and actually gave a sense of progression. And this goes hand in hand with the lack of criminal activities in the game overall. What are S&F? Two celebrity hunt mission strings, two sports minigame strings, a package collection mission string, a cult mission string etc.

Now, compare it to, say, asset missions in VC. They were quite similar, in that they were (sort of) optional. But by completing them, you actually built something, achieved something. The only S&F string in V like this is (arguably) the Tow Truck string for Tonya, as it ends with Frank buying the depot. I just wish S&F were more meaningful. S&F in V are just glorified introductions to minigames, just bland, fire-and-forget quests for the player to complete. Not all that different from forced mandatory side-activities in Saints Row: The Third's storyline when I think about it.

• TheOtherRyan, Official General, Choco Taco and 2 others like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

What does that have to do with anything? Is that your theory for why GTA V is short?

It urges people to actually complete the story mission.

In my theory, since there's no location to unlock, there's lack of feel of progression, that's why R* made V so short, making the progression between mission more apparent.

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

In my theory, since there's no location to unlock, there's lack of feel of progression, that's why R* made V so short, making the progression between mission more apparent.

thats not the reason gta 5's story is the only story that wasn't making you do stuff for no reason. also R* said they wanted to do a red dead redemption type story mode.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:01 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 31 July 2014 - 03:59 PM.

Your first part is indeed right and makes sense.

Your second however, makes sense, but isn't right. (I also don't want to sound like a dick saying that, either, so I'm just going to put an IMO at the end of the post)

V is short because so many people didn't complete IV. People complained about the story length and boring missions, so R* changed it in V.

That's all there is to it, really. R* listened to major fan feedback. Whether people agree with it or not is to each their own.

IMO

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

I've played through IV  3 times I think. Never taken more than a couple of weeks.

OMG I KNOW RIGHT! Like that it never takes a few weeks to finish any other game! You are right on the money! Great points made!

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

What they could/should have done is have the mission availability thing like GTA1/GTA2 and the 3D era.

Say you do a few missions for X and then the next mission for X is not available for an in-game week, and some missions are only available set days between certain times.

The problem with GTA5 is that I powered through the story too quickly - 2 days i think ? - it kinda encourages you to just play through the story like a linear game without exploring, and then there really isnt much to do - the exploring just feels boring at that point after completing the story. - If the story missions were spread out a bit like I suggested then I would have done more exploring inbetween and I might have enjoyed the exploring more then.

There also should have been more random missions unrelated tothe story around the place like the payphones in GTA3 and Vice City. Those strangers and freaks things were just a joke - i didnt bother with them after i did the hunting one and triathlon.

• Osho likes this

cristian23_
  • cristian23_

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

The reason it felt short is because of the other GTAs. They had a ton. And those who say that heist prep counts toward the 69 check your replay mission screen. A bit more than 69 so basically they're like side missions. If more missions is what we need... then prequels would add back stories to M,F, and T like have T and M do heists in NY and then you can switch to F and you play as him when he was part of the Families.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users