Why is GTA V so short?

167 replies to this topic
Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

GTA V I think as 69 missions, plus side activities and messing around, I know the game takes up more information as GTA SA and GTA 4. However SA and 4 have almost double the amount of mission. I was just curious too why they made a game story so short. Plus I just want to mention Skyrim has like 250 missions and is half the size of GTA V. 

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

Not many people completed GTA IV because it was "too long"

And since R* over-hyped their Online feature, they put most of their work into it thinking that people will end up ignoring the campaign soon and play Online exclusively 

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:13 PM Edited by The7thOne, 02 August 2014 - 06:52 AM.

Rockstar wanted to focus more on Graphics, and map size rather than Story. It exactly explains why GTA San Andreas' story was so paper thin. Then again, San Andreas' map size was WAY smaller than GTA V's, so that may explain why there were more missions. Maybe it's Rockstar's obsession with the number "69" but it could be related to other properties as well.

• StJimmy likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

Because GTA IV

• MilezDawg and Scaglietti like this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

Most missions in gta4 were go to A and kill B. GTA v has wayyyyyyyyyyu better missions longer way more variety. And its the perfect game
  • Che Guevara_187, Romarique, saksoka and 4 others like this

I will pwn you newbs
  • I will pwn you newbs

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

They focused a lot more on online
  • sqre and theGTAking101 like this

TrevorSpeed914
  • TrevorSpeed914

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

Not many people have the patience to replay long games. Some people can barely get through one playthrough. Short and sweet is better than long and drawn out.

• BlackScout, Lowi, Bozzah and 1 other like this

Nick Testbranch
  • Nick Testbranch

Offending Mimes Everywhere.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:53 AM

Rockstar wanted to focus more on Graphics, and map size rather than Story. It exactly explains why GTA San Andreas' story was so paper thin. Then again, San Andreas' map size was WAY smaller than GTA V's, so that may explain why there were more missions. Maybe its Rockstar's obsession with the number "69" but it could be related to other properties as well.

lolwhat? It's obvious that Rockstar wanted to focus on the Online concept, which is one of the best concepts they ever came up with, but it's very lackluster because it was executed poorly. GTA San Andreas had a great story, and I think the map wasn't that small compared to GTA V. It depends on how you look at it.

• latigreblue likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

They focused a lot more on online

They did, but that's not the reason.

Alpha Demigod
  • Alpha Demigod

Worthless deadbeat scumbag who deserves to die

• BUSTED!
  • Canada
  • Best Closet Brony 2016

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:23 AM Edited by Dark Bordeus, 03 July 2014 - 02:26 AM.

GTA V - 69 Missions

GTA 4- 88

GTA SA - 100

Realistically, the differences are not that much when you consider mission design and length.

In GTA 4, there were missions like "It's your call" and "three's a crowd" and "easy fare". It was 3 separate missions to introduce the player to the phone, clothes, and wanted levels. Many other missions were just itty-bitty bite size nothings. Final Destination, No Love Lost, Rigged to Blow.

In GTA V, missions are designed to encompass more things and be more varied. One mission would introduce you to numerous different mechanics. The big, heavy duty missions started right away.

I do agree, though, that GTA IV just felt longer. Maybe it's because I played it drawn out, rather than 8 hours a day like I did with V.

GTA V was good but is nowhere near the masterpiece that SA was.

People need to understand that, technically V's map is better...but the numerous cities and variations of SA's map makes it feel much bigger in a psychological way.

• MilezDawg, kipakolonyasi and Exocortex like this

thivakar
  • thivakar

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Used to get 1 Character 100 missions, now 3 characters 69 missions. This is why people couldn't get attached to characters like they did with GTA 4, Vice City and San Andreas. I was only able to get attached to Michael. 

• The Quench, sqre, Choco Taco and 4 others like this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:27 AM

GTA V - 69 Missions

GTA 4- 88

GTA SA - 100

Realistically, the differences are not that much when you consider that nearly every mission in GTA V

In GTA 4, there were missions like "It's your call" and "three's a crowd" and "easy fare"

It was 3 separate missions to introduce the player to the phone, clothes, and wanted levels.

In GTA V, missions are designed to encompass more things and be more varied.

I do agree, though, that GTA IV just felt longer. Maybe it's because I played it drawn out, rather than 8 hours a day like I did with V.

While V has a lot more variation, it felt stupid how missions such as "Buy masks for this heist" counted as one of the 69 missions.

• sqre, StarFyer, Romarique and 2 others like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

Technically there is more than 69 missions based on player options through heists and other missions related to the storyline. Plus, missions aren't really something you just sh*t out if they're related to the storyline, because you would have to make proper content for it plus record several actor voices and different objectives depending on the character you decided to start it with.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Ask the idiots at Rockstar who came up with the idea. 

• Zee, sqre, Taki Owaki and 3 others like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

Ask the idiots at Rockstar who came up with the idea. 

I don't see how listening to overwhelming consumer feedback makes them idiots...
  • MilezDawg and Bozzah like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

Even if the missions are more varied than GTA IV's it still feels like there's a sense of urgency to complete the heist tasks as soon as they become available which I think doesn't help.. GTA V only took me 10 days to complete the first time and that was with a lot of exploring in between.

IMO it's short for GTA standards, but not too bad on its own compared to other games.

• kj2022, Acetaminophen and Kampret like this

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

What happened is that GTA IV was the first GTA that could phone home and give Rockstar millions of data points on whether people were actually finishing it. The sad fact is, on Xbox 360, only 28% of Xbox Live members got the story complete achievement in GTA IV.

Rockstar is certainly willing to accept that a lot of people won't finish the story — an open world game is all about alternatives to doing missions. But it makes no business sense to make big final missions and cutscenes that 72% of players never get to.

• Cezar24 likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

It appears short, mainly because the story missions still continue to suffer the same trend of boring, and utter pointless missions in the quest designs, otherwise this game stands out for its variety, and different approaches had they replaced many of the initial and mid-game missions with better variety.
And, a lot of it could be blamed on the choice of the story for the campaign.
Still, S&F and RE's, for the most are good to replay, adding some more life into the game.
But, what really sucks is that the developers chose to take many things uniques to the series and throw out the window for the new one's, esp. the free roaming stuff are missing.
Still, the upcoming SP DLC missions should make the game at par with games length overall, and the upgraded AI and other neat little improvements of the NG/PC will definitely change the feel of many story missions, incl side missions too.
It'll be the most proper and completely better version of the game than the current one.

SirSmoke713
  • SirSmoke713

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

GTA V was written by different people, of course the ones who wrote gta 4 and the ones before could not have writing this. The game and graphics are really good cause graphics design is another team. But the houses must of gave the job to some new interns or even that fool lazlow, prolly turns out why he's an actual charcter seeing how he had to be at least micheals age since he's supposly really old yet he looks 30 in this game. I mean just saying, compare this story to the past gta story's and this one just falls in the for kids territory. Or more like for young teens, they know who plays their games. EVERYONE OF EVERY AGE,

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:15 AM Edited by ArchKnight, 03 July 2014 - 05:17 AM.

Many people complained about GTA IV being too lengthy, which I personally disagree with. I guess Rockstar was in too hurry to complete SP and devote more time to GTA Online. The urgency to unlock heists is what makes the player complete the game sooner. It was quite different from me as I used to cruise around for hours in game without progressing with missions. It took me two weeks to complete the game.

Coin
  • Coin

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

I don't think it was too short, to be honest. But at the same time, more wouldn't have gone astray.

BBQ RIBS
  • BBQ RIBS

Prankster

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:30 AM

Casuals.

• sqre, Mega, Acetaminophen and 1 other like this

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV
  • L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

"Hell yeah!"

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

GTA V I think as 69 missions, plus side activities and messing around, I know the game takes up more information as GTA SA and GTA 4. However SA and 4 have almost double the amount of mission. I was just curious too why they made a game story so short. Plus I just want to mention Skyrim has like 250 missions and is half the size of GTA V. 

GTA 5 has 120 missions, main missions with strangers and freaks, pretty much considering that there's a singleplayer DLC with even more in coming.

• Che Guevara_187 likes this

Zito
  • Zito

RBLiberty

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:40 AM

if they put the same graphics of gta5 on gtaSA + Online i guarantee SA would be 10times better. with or with out gta5 additional content and updates. GTASA has everything people want in GTA5 and if your a newbie to the gta franchise you have to try out gta3 vicinity and specially gtaSA and come part it to GTA5 ..gta4 that sh*t was wack you can do anything Saint Row dat sh*t

• Official General likes this

Blackous666
  • Blackous666

CoD HATER

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:19 AM Edited by Blackous666, 03 July 2014 - 07:19 AM.

I like GTA 4 more than V... and V more than SA :D .. V lost the feeling.. i hope they will bring a bit back fot CG

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

because they put a lot of focus on gta online. also strangers and freaks are not main missions.

• sqre likes this

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

The storyline is WAY to negative and depressing to handle anymore missions. It's not IV depressing in the sense the world around niko is depressing but he has really good mates the help level the bullsh*t out

V is just dark and depressing in all the wrong ways It shows woman happily being used a sex objects, Corrupt government officials, people don't care for each other let alone respect each other. Theirs no work, Everyone wants MORE !!!!!!!!!! Technology has taken over everyones lives ... I could go on and on and on but the point is rockstar went on a hunt to find everything that sucks in todays society and they put it in this game !

The only positive thing that happened the whole game that put a smile on my face was when Michael stole from epsilon that was the only likable thing that happened all game apart from trevors words of wisdom throughout the game and killing that cheating whore Floyd was with ! trevor did the world a favour on that day

So to answer you're question gta v is short because the whole game is a social commentary of why society sucks... hell even soundtrack in mediocre like mainstream music today they got everything right ! The problem is the game reminds you of why you are playing a video game instead of spending time outdoors which obviously makes you want to blow you're brains out

• Zee, sqre, Taki Owaki and 1 other like this

KaramG
  • KaramG

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

Probably because they got rid of the stupid "Buy new pants/Go to Gym/Go on Date" sort of missions. Also, the missions in GTA 5 were more drawn-out and unique, at least in my opinion.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

As pointed out above, a lot of people complained that IV was too long. Crazy, I know, but they were upset by having too much game.

GTA fans are so fickle. Give them what they want, they complain, take it away, they complain, put it back, they complain.

• YukiEiri, HoleInTheSky, OneManCrimeWave and 2 others like this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Not many people completed GTA IV because the missions and story were boring and not fun at all.

Fixed that for you.

A lot of people seem to confuse that and its giving out the wrong message - that we want shorter games - why would people complain about having lots of missions if most of those missions were actually fun.

The problem with GTa4 was that there were only about 5 good missions.

The people i know that didnt finish GTA4 stop playing it because they didnt think the story/missions were fun.

Lots of people didnt finish the ps2 games either but that was because they were just interested in messing about the world. Thats not really a negative.

GTA5 wasnt really that fun - thats the problem.

That said The Ballod of Gay Tony was great fun (best GTA since Vice City or SA imo), because almost all the missions were very fun to play. If you could keep the fun at that level then more missions would only be a good thing. - Vice City does it very well.

• Zee, sqre, Official General and 3 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users