Photo

How would you make frank "better"

108 replies to this topic
Beastly40
  • Beastly40

College Bound

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:42 PM Edited by Beastly40, 01 July 2014 - 08:47 PM.

It's more than that. The reason that Franklin is contested in terms of whether or not people like the character is from a variety of reasons. One side believes that he was made simply to swoon over the series' fans who loved Gta: San Andreas and the atmosphere that goes along with it. Another side believes that the character was in other words, a pawn to Michael who from time to time calls him out on various things, like his whole reason for betrayal: his family. Another side believes that Mr. Clinton was another sir whines-a-lot who was too cowardly to do morally questionable tasks. Finally, another side believes that he is just a random black guy who you play as on the ride along for the story. Franklin's main issue for me is that he is an example of a character that had little to no character development in the main story after a certain point. After he met Michael, and more or less after the Vangelico Heist, his character development stops and his role is shifted to a background character as Trevor and Michael's conflict come to light. I feel that to make him a better character, he would need a proper backstory and a new arc that would expose hidden depths to him, like what caused him to get the idea of getting out of South Los Santos, what is his main motivation besides getting rich by any means necessary? I don't necessarily dislike him as a person, as he is fun to play as, but I don't like how his role in the story was treated with there being little depth to him.
  • saintsrow, ten-a-penny, DaCosta and 4 others like this

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Yes I agree with your analysis Beastly.  :^:

Also, with Trevor being an irredeemable, crazy (but funny) psychopath and Michael starting as world weary and developing to be potentially traitorous, unstable and constantly losing the plot, the game is crying out for a strong protagonist to rely on. Franklin is perfect to step into this role. He sees things objectively - from a neutral point of view - and remains generally calm and sensible throughout the plot. But he also remains boring and I often wondered why he stuck with Michael and Trevor, as they fell apart. He had the potential to develop into something far more interesting, but never did.

• saintsrow likes this

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Plot-Twist: Franklin and CJ are long lost brothers. They meet each other in the story DLC where Franklin stumbles upon a dimension machine where he can cross universes or dimensions. He goes to the 3D era Los Santos and then there will be the old San Andreas to free roam in, and you have to do missions with CJ. This will be the big story DLC just wait. Michael and Trevor will also be involved where they cross over to where Franklin is and try to hunt him down . Franklin is residing in Grove Street with CJ. Trevor and Michael are all the way in Las Venturas. They are doing missions for people trying to find a way to get to Franklin's location. I think this DLC would be awesome because I'd like to see how things would pan out, and to see the HD version of the 3D Era San Andreas. The DLC could be sold as a whole new game on a disc, thus not requiring the original game to play.

Holy sh*t this comment pretty much sums up the SA fanboys cancer.

It was a joke lol. Anyone smart enough would have caught my sarcasm.

CartmanKusanagi
  • CartmanKusanagi

Dang It, Bobbeh!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

By not having him wear a backwards cap 95% of the time I switch back to him. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind backwards caps, but for some reason, it looks a bit dorky on Franklin.
  • saintsrow likes this

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

-More character switch animations for him

-Make him white

-More interaction among gang members/gang wars

-Make Chop have a bigger role with Franklin

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

-More character switch animations for him

-Make him white

-More interaction among gang members/gang wars

-Make Chop have bigger realistic balls

fixed.

• Plank. and CartmanKusanagi like this

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

People have been complaining that frank was boring and lacked initiative, but I challenge everyone as how you would make Franklin less dull.

Franklin*

He had initiative. He was just too stereotypical in terms of the way he talked, the music he likes. 

ESP the terrible gang banger clothes he wears smh, you'd think with all that money it'd buy him a sense of style when I'm not controlling him.

• saintsrow and TrevorSpeed914 like this

The Color Orange
  • The Color Orange

ORANGE

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

If Rockstar is a Scottish company, how many black people from Los Angeles do you think work there? I feel as though they've designed every major black character as something they've seen in movies rather than experienced in real life. Franklin and CJ were dull characters, but they really toned down the stereotypes with Frank. Frank comes off as a white guy trapped in a black man's world, which is why he and Michael have such a father-son dynamic. Instead of having a man of color like CJ or Frank, they should have someone like Lance or Vic (who weren't black, but darker and non-stereotyped). Rockstar did such a great job with Italians in GTA 3 without playing too much into stereotypes, so why not give us a more realistic black character as well?

What a load of f*cking bullsh*t and on top of that according to you Vic Vance and Lance Vance weren't black, but darker..... WTF is darker? Is that a new race of humans I didn't know about? You're a f*cking idiot.

Anyway if I was going to change Franklin without altering the sh*tty d-grade storyline R* gave us, I'd make him become a drug baron, it's a simple as that, it would basically be a way better version of the drug dealing in Chinatown Wars and on a grander scale you could have lots of different scenarios from just one type of drug deal, for example if he decides to meet in the desert to meet some cartel members for some keys or whatever he could rob 'em instead and take drugs for free but then he'd have to deal with a different cartel, mafia, gang or the triads due to mistrust OR they might try and rob him or the feds might raid the drug deal causing a huge scramble for the drugs or you could just try and escape, you could have different locations/drug houses where you store the drugs which could get raided by polcie and or gangs depending on a number of different factors, it would be a never ending circle of action packed fun, but I guess R* felt it would be better if he ate chips all day instead...

Coin.
  • Coin.

Some motherf*ckerís always trying to ice skate up hill.

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:21 AM Edited by Insert-Coin-To-Continue, 02 July 2014 - 01:21 AM.

I'm not sure how he can be salvaged moving forward, or even if he can. I don't think he was bad per say, but the Michael-Trevor dynamic pretty much dominated the story from the moment it waltzed in and didn't leave too much room for Franklin.

Moving forward, any story DLC (or at least the first 'major' one) should be used to get Franklin more into the limelight and fleshed out.

• saintsrow and Zanje like this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

Actually make him a gangbanger. It's hard to escape the gangs, but Frank did it no problem.

Del boy
  • Del boy

The Only Fool and Horse of the $treets

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

It's more than that. The reason that Franklin is contested in terms of whether or not people like the character is from a variety of reasons. One side believes that he was made simply to swoon over the series' fans who loved Gta: San Andreas and the atmosphere that goes along with it. Another side believes that the character was in other words, a pawn to Michael who from time to time calls him out on various things, like his whole reason for betrayal: his family. Another side believes that Mr. Clinton was another sir whines-a-lot who was too cowardly to do morally questionable tasks. Finally, another side believes that he is just a random black guy who you play as on the ride along for the story. Franklin's main issue for me is that he is an example of a character that had little to no character development in the main story after a certain point. After he met Michael, and more or less after the Vangelico Heist, his character development stops and his role is shifted to a
background character as Trevor and Michael's conflict come to light. I feel that to make him a better character, he would need a proper backstory and a new arc that would expose hidden depths to him, like what caused him to get the idea of getting out of South Los Santos, what is his main motivation besides getting rich by any means necessary? I don't necessarily dislike him as a person, as he is fun to play as, but I don't like how his role in the story was treated with there
being little depth to him.

wow this is frank..lins' problem throughout the whole game lack of character development

AzelfandQuilava
  • AzelfandQuilava

Another COD Player...

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

It's more than that. The reason that Franklin is contested in terms of whether or not people like the character is from a variety of reasons. One side believes that he was made simply to swoon over the series' fans who loved Gta: San Andreas and the atmosphere that goes along with it. Another side believes that the character was in other words, a pawn to Michael who from time to time calls him out on various things, like his whole reason for betrayal: his family. Another side believes that Mr. Clinton was another sir whines-a-lot who was too cowardly to do morally questionable tasks. Finally, another side believes that he is just a random black guy who you play as on the ride along for the story. Franklin's main issue for me is that he is an example of a character that had little to no character development in the main story after a certain point. After he met Michael, and more or less after the Vangelico Heist, his character development stops and his role is shifted to a background character as Trevor and Michael's conflict come to light. I feel that to make him a better character, he would need a proper backstory and a new arc that would expose hidden depths to him, like what caused him to get the idea of getting out of South Los Santos, what is his main motivation besides getting rich by any means necessary? I don't necessarily dislike him as a person, as he is fun to play as, but I don't like how his role in the story was treated with there being little depth to him.

Oh my god, someone finally summed up what R* did wrong with him. And it didn't have any "Turn him into CJ" or "Remove him" BS.

• ten-a-penny likes this

David 168
  • David 168

Player Hater

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

I think that the reason why frank is so boring to all of us is because he's rich and he doesn't have issues unlike michael or trevor so essentially his life is perfect and that makes him boring

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:50 AM

Give him family that aren't such dicks. Give him a sister, a cousin, or someone that he's close to that's in poor health and needs medical treatment. Or have a close friend who died early on in the story.

Give him a reason, other than a selfish money-orientated endevour, that encourages him to get out of the ghetto.
  • Niobium likes this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

Give him family that aren't such dicks. Give him a sister, a cousin, or someone that he's close to that's in poor health and needs medical treatment. Or have a close friend who died early on in the story.

Give him a reason, other than a selfish money-orientated endevour, that encourages him to get out of the ghetto.

Spoiler

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:17 AM Edited by mariana_dm1989, 14 July 2014 - 05:19 AM.

If he had a gang war/drug war side activity, he would have been very fun to play as, and when i say gang war/drug war i do not mean the crap ones that Trevor has, but the ones like that in TBOGT. I know people like to say things like ''this is not san andreas 2'', but let's admit it, most of us deep down inside wanted Franklin to be somewhat reminiscent of  CJ.

• Official General likes this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

Kill him off and replace his slot with Lamar. That's how they can make it better.

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Franklin could be more interesting if he had any independent projects of his own. He doesn't initiate any heists, nor have any defining activities apart from street racing outside the story. Gang activity i feel is played out and has too many fallpits when it comes to stereotypes and credibility, can get corny fast(annoying cliches/wangsterism), even the relevance of gangs to the character is minimal. Franklin has an alternative access to income, direct affiliation with street gangs would be counterproductive.

Like the drug distribution and chop ideas mentioned in earlier posts, also more street races would be nice.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:43 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 14 July 2014 - 07:44 AM.

Franklin isn't a bad character, he just lacks any driving force or motivation. He's ambitious, but it's not really aimed at anything. Furthermore when people like Lamar or Denise try to provide him with a purpose  he writes them off as fools. 

Franklin just kind of exists without much motivation in his life. As such, his life is not terribly interesting.       

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:01 AM Edited by Gregers08, 14 July 2014 - 10:10 AM.

Keep Simeaon around longer so Franklin can do re-pos as side missions sometimes by himself and sometimes with Lamar.

Keep him in the hood longer and add more conflict between him and Lamar from his plans of eventually moving out, which would  lead to him and Lamar not being on the best of terms until the mission Lamar down.

Maybe at a point in the story Franklin gets tired of empty promises from Michael and decides to do his own heist with him Lamar and some Chamberlain hill gangsters. It goes horribly wrong and he realises for all their faults, Michael and Trevor are good at what they do. He eventually reunites with them in time for the big one. 

Towards the end of the story Tanisha's doctor leaves her for similar reasons she left Franklin and she tries crawling back, however he makes a decision for himself that it's probably time to move on. A big part of the reason he wanted to do well was just to impress Tanisha, giving Franklin a real chance of getting her back but not going for it in the end would have shown some growth on his part and I feel would have been a more satisfying end to that plot point.

• acmilano, ClaudeSpeed1911, ten-a-penny and 4 others like this

EM_JAY_86
  • EM_JAY_86

Snitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Keep Simeaon around longer so Franklin can do re-pos as side missions sometimes by himself and sometimes with Lamar.

Keep him in the hood longer and add more conflict between him and Lamar from his plans of eventually moving out, which would  lead to him and Lamar not being on the best of terms until the mission Lamar down.

Maybe at a point in the story Franklin gets tired of empty promises from Michael and decides to do his own heist with him Lamar and some Chamberlain hill gangsters. It goes horribly wrong and he realises for all their faults, Michael and Trevor are good at what they do. He eventually reunites with them in time for the big one. 

Towards the end of the story Tanisha's doctor leaves her for similar reasons she left Franklin and she tries crawling back, however he makes a decision for himself that it's probably time to move on. A big part of the reason he wanted to do well was just to impress Tanisha, giving Franklin a real chance of getting her back but not going for it in the end would have shown some growth on his part and I feel would have been a more satisfying end to that plot point.

All good ideas!

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

aesthetic

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:32 AM Edited by theNGclan, 14 July 2014 - 10:32 AM.

Replacing him with Chop.

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

easy kick him out that damn mansion frank was so much more interesting hanging out with lamar and living with his aunt. but after he moved to his mansion all he does is look at chops sh*t  and  eat chips

• Choco Taco likes this

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Some really good improvements that you would only think R* would go back and make the changes upon reflection. These would successfully develop Franklin's part in the story.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Agree with everything but Franklin's own heist.

I think he should do a heist with lamar and maybe T+M to show him how he can become more succesfull since after all he promised him work.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Have him be an actual character rather then someone they just threw in to appease to San Andreas Fanboys.

Ha I was gonna say this.

Plot-Twist: Franklin and CJ are long lost brothers. They meet each other in the story DLC where Franklin stumbles upon a dimension machine where he can cross universes or dimensions. He goes to the 3D era Los Santos and then there will be the old San Andreas to free roam in, and you have to do missions with CJ. This will be the big story DLC just wait. Michael and Trevor will also be involved where they cross over to where Franklin is and try to hunt him down . Franklin is residing in Grove Street with CJ. Trevor and Michael are all the way in Las Venturas. They are doing missions for people trying to find a way to get to Franklin's location. I think this DLC would be awesome because I'd like to see how things would pan out, and to see the HD version of the 3D Era San Andreas. The DLC could be sold as a whole new game on a disc, thus not requiring the original game to play.

Holy sh*t this comment pretty much sums up the SA fanboys cancer.

Don't you know?

this forum is 97% full of GTA:SA fanboys, 2% of sane GTA:V + SA fans, and %1 of GTA:V fanboys.

This guy.... This guy right up here. :^:

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:13 PM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 14 July 2014 - 01:15 PM.

1. Not making him an annoying 25 year old bitchboy.

2. having him drive a cool lowrider.

3. Him being more loyal towards 'The families'

4. Making him a less cry baby all the time

5. Making him some what cool and likable. 

AND change his stupid personality. I hate his personality, R* tried to go too much with the whole him being young and new to stuff. I mean anyone can change of course, but a gangbanger finding a rich dude and then robbing banks with him is just a little to weird..

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

You know what? Thinking about Franklin's day to day actions makes me even more hyped for what we'll get in the next gen version. Finally we'll be able to see him eat potato chips and iron his shirts the way Rockstar intended for us to see it.

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:04 PM Edited by kevin de santa, 14 July 2014 - 02:05 PM.

I like the idea of Franklin and Lamar doing a heist and it going horribly wrong. Other than that I think franklin was done well. I think people are just bitching that he's not the stereotypicall CJ gangster. The moment I saw he was the opposite he instantly became my second GTA favorite GTA protag of all time behind Michael. GTA v is just awesome

ViceCityBestGame
  • ViceCityBestGame

I Don't Give A F*ck and A member of the Grand Wizards

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Replace him with a mexican guy, or remove him.

He was boring and dull, I never liked him since day one.

• theNGclan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users