Photo

PS3 Slim HDD possibly failed?

6 replies to this topic
YoungR3B3L
  • YoungR3B3L

I came here.... To ask questions....

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:32 AM Edited by YoungR3B3L, 30 June 2014 - 03:35 AM.

Hi guys. So about 4 hours ago I was playing BF3 when it froze. As I got up to reset it, I tripped on a weight and smacked the ps3 really hard while resetting it. 

I smacked it just below where the CD region is, above the power button. Its a super slim model with the disk slider.

I booted it up because I got worried but it booted up well. I tried to open up BF3 just in case but it stayed on loading and was longer than usual when a notification came up saying the system was overheating. It was the first time seeing this and I ignored it until my ps3 shut off on its own.

This is weird because my system is only 2 months old but I bought it used from amazon because I'm poorfag. I have never seen this notification before.

Then this worried me even more and I booted it up again but the login screen didnt show up although the wave animation still flowed.

I resetted it again but this time it started up with a LOUD whirring noise as if a fan.

It sounded almost exactly like my mate's 1st gen ps3 console's fan.

I got worried and frantically pressed the reset button but it didn't work so I pressed the fuse button to power it off.

However when I booted, the grinding whirring sound disappeared and I was greeted by my ps3 saying its file system is corrupt and needs to rebuild database.

I had no choice but to press ok and it has been 3 hours like this. At first it loaded up fine and then it got stuck at 20%. 3 hours later it SLOWLY went up to 30%. 

Its 5 am here and I am so sad about this. I'm thinking of sleeping and leaving it on.

Should I reset it by now? I'm worried if my HDD failed. Hopefully its just the fans right? Because the overheating came up after I accidentally smacked it. But if it was the hard drive it would have YLOD'd right? Or I wouldn't be able to access the restore options. Advice please :(

P.S just checked it now. Its 32% rebuilding databases. Should I be resetting it or just let it go on overnight?

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:18 AM

I don't have a PS3 (and probably never will), but it would be wise to check if the fan grills are not covered in dust, if the PS3 is resting over a table or in an open space (enclosed cabinets and rugs/carpets are a big NO as suitable places for a PC, let alone a modern videogame console) and finally if the HDD or the fans themselves didn't suffer some damage after you accidentally smacked it.

YoungR3B3L
  • YoungR3B3L

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'm still trying to find out whats been damaged if there is any. I've had it for 2 months and I bought it used so I'm not sure if I can claim warranty out of the US either.

There was a loud whirring sound which sounded exactly like a fan before I reset it but it could be the HDD for all I know. But the HDD seems to be a bit functional because it boots up and no YLOD and I could access safe mode. 

Trying system restore doesn't work as it gets stuck on the "Preparing.. please wait" and rebuilding database gets it stuck at 20%. It moves but like only literally 2% each hour. It turned off on its own when I let it go overnight and I'm not sure if it completed on its own and was repeating itself or my system shut itself down and cutting off the rebuilding process.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Let it cool off and check if there's no dust on the fan grills. I'd also check if it's still covered by a warranty somehow, and if it isn't then I guess it wouldn't be a problem if you open it up and see if everything's clean and in its place.

YoungR3B3L
  • YoungR3B3L

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

nvm I formatted the PS3 HDD and its working fine now. Sucks that I have to start over again and redownload my games though. Weird thing is that the fans seem to be okay although I haven't opened it up myself. No overheating or weird sounds when I play. But my hard drive clicks twice instead of once when my CD is read. Weird. But my PS3 miracly works fine and I've been playing nonstop ever since :)

• PresidentKiller likes this

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Well, let's hope it stays that way. :)
  • YoungR3B3L likes this

YoungR3B3L
  • YoungR3B3L