Is 100% completion possible?

27 replies to this topic
Robinism
  • Robinism

GTA III Player

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:57 AM

I completed the GTA III main story missions last week, and the game was still as good as back in the day. Now I would really want to go for the 100% completion. But I have a question. I've read that many of the side missions, such as the telephone missions, the police/ambulance missions and the hidden packages mission are so much harder to do after you've completed the main story missions - mostly because so many gangs will attack you when you're rolling by them. For example, the Leone Mob gang are always blowing my car up with their shotguns while riding through Portland now.

So I wonder - is a 100% completion doable or should I start over from the beginning and start with the side missions first, as many walkthroughs suggest? I don't mind a little challenge, but if it's close to impossible to complete some of the missions I'd rather save time and start up a new save file. Or is this talk just an exaggeration?

How did y'all do it?

(I did all the main story missions in the right order, so I shouldn't get stuck at 98%.)

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

some side missions are only obtainable within certain parts of the story so it could potentially be impossible depending on what you've done

Bartleby
  • Bartleby

Known in the NW Territories as "The Sneak"

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:16 AM Edited by Bartleby, 30 June 2014 - 02:21 AM.

So I wonder - is a 100% completion doable or should I start over from the beginning and start with the side missions first, as many walkthroughs suggest? I don't mind a little challenge, but if it's close to impossible to complete some of the missions I'd rather save time and start up a new save file. Or is this talk just an exaggeration?

It depends, have you done any side-missions yet? If not, then only in the most technical sense is it hypothetically possible. :p Namely because some of El Burro's missions take you through Saint Mark's. You could do Turismo with your bulletproof Patriot (assuming you kept it), but good f*cking luck on Big 'N' Veiny when you have no choice but to use a Rumpo. Fortunately, Portland is the only one with this kind of issue; on Staunton the Yardies only hate you after you complete their payphone missions, and on Shoreside the Cartel hate you anyway. Though if I were you, I would just start over, considering you don't stand a chance against Mafia shotguns. The core missions aren't terribly difficult and only get easier with experience, so you'll probably finish them faster without having to worry about doing everything later.

IMO, the best way to do it is to go island by island; every time you unlock a new one, do all the side-missions before continuing the story (Vigilante, Firefighter, unique stunts, rampages, RC missions, off road challenges, hidden packages, I/E garages, EV crane). Keep in mind the Taxi and Paramedic ones need only be done once. At the moment, I'm doing all the side-missions in one go before I even start any missions, and that's been working well for me, even though getting some of the packages are tricky (coughshoresideliftbridgecough).

This might be of use to you: http://gtaforums.com...eous-100-guide/

• PresidentKiller likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Big'N'Veiny is still easily doable if you haven't completed it - The trick is that you don't need to collect all of the magazines and therefore you can just change your driving route completely by turning left once you enter the Rumpo and then left again so that you are on the road outside of the Red Light District Safehouse. Then drive (and this will have to be kind of quick as you only have 20 seconds IIRC) forward (if you turned left, you should be facing the right way, towards Chinatown) and you'll meet up with the magazine path near the Laundromat.

• Bartleby, Mr.ClaudeFan and pajkosinjo like this

Johan
  • Johan

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Big'N'Veiny is still easily doable if you haven't completed it - The trick is that you don't need to collect all of the magazines and therefore you can just change your driving route completely by turning left once you enter the Rumpo and then left again so that you are on the road outside of the Red Light District Safehouse. Then drive (and this will have to be kind of quick as you only have 20 seconds IIRC) forward (if you turned left, you should be facing the right way, towards Chinatown) and you'll meet up with the magazine path near the Laundromat.

Is it also possible that he can use his bulletproof Patriot (preferably) or any other vehicle to push the Rumpo closer to the docks?

Robinism
  • Robinism

GTA III Player

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty sure I will start over with a new save file. I found a pretty good 100% guide over at GameFAQs where they tell you exactly in what order you should do things. I've played through GTA III maybe ten-fifteen times over the years, but I never bothered to do all the side missions, so I'm sure I'm in for a real treat. One of my top 3 games, after all.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Is it also possible that he can use his bulletproof Patriot (preferably) or any other vehicle to push the Rumpo closer to the docks?

It is possible, and arguably a better way of completing it (as the clock won't start until you get into the rumpo) but I prefer the way I mentioned, because you save time having to push the rumpo all the way there :p

Bartleby
  • Bartleby

Known in the NW Territories as "The Sneak"

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:39 PM Edited by Bartleby, 30 June 2014 - 07:40 PM.

That's awesome, I never thought of that strategy. :) I'd still contend though that he'd have his hands full collecting the packages on hostile turf, as well as being handicapped on where he can do the R3 sidemissions. That is, unless there maybe is a work-around for those as well?

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:46 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 01 July 2014 - 03:01 PM.

That's awesome, I never thought of that strategy. :) I'd still contend though that he'd have his hands full collecting the packages on hostile turf, as well as being handicapped on where he can do the R3 sidemissions. That is, unless there maybe is a work-around for those as well?

Hidden Packages: Collecting Packages can be done during D-Ice's mission 'Rigged to Blow' after taking the car to the garage in Saint Marks removing the bomb timer - All gang activity is disabled during this mission.

Paramedic: Member Cristian came up with a great way (and easier than normal way) to be able to do Paramedic in Portland after the Leone's become hostile:

Firefighter: For PC, there is the famous 'Replay Glitch' allowing you to complete the missions without even moving:

I'm not sure about RC Missions.

Edit: Actually, you can complete it even if you destroy just one Sentinel, so if you are lucky enough, it can be done! 

• Bartleby and chapapote like this

GTAGuy1995
  • GTAGuy1995

Rat

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:52 PM Edited by GTAGuy1995, 01 July 2014 - 03:03 PM.

Yes, it is very possible to do 100% completion but you have to do all the side stuff at beginning before the Mafia hates you or game becomes impossible to reach 100%. Since you did all story missions, I recommend you to start from beginning. Here are some tips that should help:

-Complete Paramedic as soon as you start the game. It is the HARDEST side mission but if you do at beginning of game in Portland, it's much easier. You will still need to hurry at later levels because time can become a problem and try to drive careful to not roll the ambulance or you will start over. Drive slowly and try avoiding hitting cars, pedestrians, etc. Alternatively, do the crusher trick mentioned above and the mission will become much easier.

-Complete Taxi after Paramedic. Even though you have to complete 100 fares, you don't have to do in one go, although you get more money if you do so. It becomes boring after a while, however.

-Complete Firefighter and Vigilante, using Replay trick (see above) and using Pause menu trick, respectively. Note that you have to do 20 in each island, it will not count if you do 60 in same island.

-Collect all hidden packages, do rampages and unique jumps, as well as Import/Export garages and off-road missions.

-For RC missions, you can just destroy a single car and still pass mission but you will only get $1,000. Try to destroy as much cars as possible, each destroyed car adds $1,000.

That's all, you can now start the story missions. Hope I didn't forget anything. Good luck! :^:

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

It's also very important to take note that GTA III (I think) is the only "3D" game where you can kill a boss before completing all his missions, so you better make sure you're no longer working for him before you're instructed to kill him, otherwise the story mode won't be complete.

Militia
  • Militia

Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:01 AM Edited by Militia, 02 July 2014 - 12:16 AM.

I didn't read any other comments in this topic, so if I repeated someone, that is why.

Anyways:  For me, I personally think the Mafia Rampage must be done at the beginning of the game.  Also Paramedics.  Those are damn near necessities.  The Mafia Rampage doesn't HAVE to be done, but it's a lot easier since they do not have shotguns and just pistols/uzi's at this time.

When you do it later, like I did about 3 weeks ago when I played this game to 100% for my 2nd time and obtained 7 proof vehicles, the Mafia were carrying shotguns.  I passed it first try but I was so f*cking lucky.

So, imo, the only major thing you should do before anything else is the Paramedic Level 12.  However, when I played this, what I did was EVERYTHING I could do before starting the mission after "Luigi's Girls."  I got 99/100 Hidden Packages, I did Vigilante (20 kills per island), Fire Truck (20 fires extinguished per island), 100 Taxi Fares, and Paramedics Level 12.  I also eventually decided to do the Stunt Jumps, too, after I did a few more missions.  I did, however, leave the 20 Rampages until the very end.  That was the very last thing I did for my 100% Completion and it was a nightmare.  Imo, GTA III is seriously the hardest game to 100% due to those Rampages and the way you must play and do some things first, etc, because like you said, the Mafia and Cartel are crazy with Shotguns and AK-47's.  The M-16 Rampage was death and so was the Flamethrower Rampage.  Although, there is a way to do the Flamethrower Rampage to kill 25 Columbians without them even firing a single shot at you.  After like 30 tries of dying in 10 seconds, I finally decided to do it the other method which is much, much easier.  And no, it's not using cheat codes, etc.

EDIT: Notice I said I did 99/100 Hidden Packages, that's cuz I couldn't fly the Dodo for the life of me.  I had to wait until the SSV Bridge was fixed to get the final hidden package in the air of the lift bridge, LOL...Also notice I said I did all this before completing any missions after Luigi's Girls.  You gotta glitch yourself to SI and SSV early in order to do this and for me, I know a really easy method on getting to SI and SSV early.  When you officially have a nice starter save going with all the side stuff done that you can possibly do, the game is much easier, imo.  Plus on missions using high powered weapons, everything is SO easy.  Don't need to worry about money and Ammunation ever again...By 100%, all my guns say 9999 ammo due to always picking it up before I saved and when I would reload...

I am also a stats guy, so I have 0 deaths, and 0 times busted, 0 times cheated as well, of course.  I only failed 4 missions, too, in order to obtain the AP/EC Stretch, BP/FP Securicar, BP/FP Trashmaster, and BP/FP/EP Cheetah.  I also used the Crusher Glitch on as many of the 7 proof vehicles I collected as possible.  The BP Patriot can be converted to BP/DP and the Barracks OL can be converted to BP/DP as well.  Then for the BP/FP/EP Bobcat and BP/FP/EP Cheetah, I converted them to DP as well, so now they are AP vehicles, like the Stretch.  The Crusher won't DP the Securicar or Trashmaster, though.

Voit Turyv
  • Voit Turyv

Unique vehicle collector - not a bragger about this

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Don't try to use the taxi driver mission glitch for any helicopter (III Aircraft). At first, it looks fine but after a few seconds, my helicopter started to randomly wind around until my game crashed.

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:34 PM Edited by Militia, 09 July 2014 - 11:34 PM.

Huh?!  ^^^

Helicopters in GTA III?  There is none, only in LCS can you obtain a Maverick...Unless you modded the game or something.  I don't think people try to cheat there way through the game when they are going for 100%.  Cheats are known to demolish GTA III, VC, and SA anyways and lock you out of 100%...Not a wise idea...

There is a AP Escape Helicopter in the final story mission The Exchange but it's unobtainable.  You can "obtain" it with some mods, however, it can't even be flown I don't think...

Voit Turyv
  • Voit Turyv

Unique vehicle collector - not a bragger about this

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:58 PM Edited by Voit Turyv, 10 July 2014 - 12:59 PM.

Huh?!  ^^^

Helicopters in GTA III?  There is none, only in LCS can you obtain a Maverick...Unless you modded the game or something.  I don't think people try to cheat there way through the game when they are going for 100%.  Cheats are known to demolish GTA III, VC, and SA anyways and lock you out of 100%...Not a wise idea...

There is a AP Escape Helicopter in the final story mission The Exchange but it's unobtainable.  You can "obtain" it with some mods, however, it can't even be flown I don't think...

I said III Aircraft, which is a mod that adds aircraft to the game.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to break anything.

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Oh...Mods...I see now.  No thanks, lol

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:35 PM Edited by Street Mix, 02 February 2015 - 06:06 PM.

So Firetruck mission. Should I do 20 fires in a row for 100%?

I got 92%. Done 20 fires in Shoreside Vale (20 total, not in a row) and got flamethrower but not any number to %. Still have 92%. :((( Is it OK?

P.S. Other 2 islands done 20 in a row each.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Modding Staff
  • Hong-Kong

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:25 PM Edited by spaceeinstein, 02 February 2015 - 05:26 PM.

Have you followed any of the 100% checklists? You seem to be missing much more than that. If you got the Flamethrower, you're finished with the Firefighter mission.
  • Militia likes this

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:05 PM Edited by Street Mix, 02 February 2015 - 06:06 PM.

Yes I have other stuff to complete but right now I'm concerned about firefighter mission. I may try to do 20 in a row but it's hard with SV geography.

Johan
  • Johan

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Yes I have other stuff to complete but right now I'm concerned about firefighter mission. I may try to do 20 in a row but it's hard with SV geography.

Not at all, you already unlocked the flamethrower which means you completed it.. the only side mission that you have to do in one run (or in a row) is Paramedics, everything else is all accumulated. 

• Street Mix likes this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

Exactly.  Not sure why he thinks putting out another 10 million fires in a row will increase his percent.  It won't.  Ever...

I used the GTA Wiki 100% Completion page to tell me what I needed to do.  Did this last May 2014 and a few weeks ago when I re-did III again.  It's correct and that is what's required for 100%.

Did you do all the Import/Export Garages and Cranes?  Stunt Jumps?  Rampages?  Hidden Packages?  Pay Phone Missions?  RC Missions?  Patriot Playground/Off-Road Missions?

I am sure you are missing something, well obviously since you're 92 and not 100.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Of course I'm missing. 1 rampage, 70 taxis, Paramedic and Vigilante. Are they enough to fill the remaining 8%?

Not at all, you already unlocked the flamethrower which means you completed it.. the only side mission that you have to do in one run (or in a row) is Paramedics, everything else is all accumulated. 

Thanks man, that's a relief.

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:32 PM Edited by Militia, 02 February 2015 - 07:34 PM.

Once 20 Rampages are complete, it will give you 1% Game Completion.

Taxi Fares (which don't have to be done consecutively) should give you 1% I believe, as well once they are complete.  Paramedic Level 12 gives 2% I believe, and Vigilante should give 1% PER ISLAND, I THINK.  That equals 7%.  It will probably add up to 8%, though....Just do what you need to get done, then ask us what you are missing :p

Good luck on Paramedics Level 12.  This will probably prevent you from getting 100% since if you already are hated in Portland by Triads and especially the Leone Mafia, you're basically f*cked unless you turn the Ambulance into a Ghost and complete Paramedics Level 12 like that...2 shots from Shotguns by the Mafia to the Ambulance = WASTED.

Right after the mission "Luigi's Girls," is when I do Paramedics Level 12.  It's impossible later in the game...

I also hope you did the Story Missions in the right order.  If you do them out of order killing Kenji before those missions are complete, you won't be able to do them ever again unless you start over...III is tricky.  You gotta do certain things at certain times or you're f*cked basically.

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:03 AM Edited by Nukey Shay, 22 February 2015 - 07:08 AM.

No...game percentage completed is calculated by the number of tasks you've currently completed divided by the total number there are in the game (154). Each task is worth roughly 0.649 percent, which is why you don't see the percentage change after each and every task completion. Being at 92% in the stats means that there have been 142 or 143 completions out of the 154.
  • thehambone likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Those videos posted in post #9 are very awesome. :)

Grosso2626
  • Grosso2626

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Big n Veiny after the story is completed shouldn't be too bad, the mafia use Uzis instead of shotguns in that mission. (At least in my game they do). Same applies to Espresso 2 Go. Watch out for them in turismo though if you don't have that patriot.

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Turismo can be done early while you are still in Portland, including ALL of El Burro Pay Phone Missions.  There is no need to hold it off until the end when the Leone's have Shotguns and blast you away driving through Portland.  Do it before the Mafia is hostile toward Claude...

Grosso2626
  • Grosso2626

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Absolutely, that was just in case somebody forgot to do it early. Just wanted to let them know it was possible.
  • Militia likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users