Remember when everyone hated this game?

146 replies to this topic
Donut
  • Donut

Dognuts0503

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

It's not meant to be an improved San Andreas. It's its own game. I don't know about you guys, but what I was expecting from GTA IV was pretty much realised when the game was new. From the moment I saw the debut trailer in 2007 I knew it was going to be vastly different to its predecessors.

IMO I'd actually consider GTA IV to be the most bold and ambitious GTA there is not because of features, but because of the direction R* chose for it. It took some serious balls to do what R* did with GTA IV and that's why I'll always admire it.

To me GTA IV is kinda like an un-conventional piece of art that people simply don't understand the artist's motivations.

"Perhaps here... things will be different..."

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:57 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 12 July 2014 - 03:57 PM.

now it faces a huge barrage of criticism. 

Not really. It's not even that bad on this forum. It's still the loud minority. This forum is easily the worst, and it's not even bad.

That being said I still blame SA.

That's...Interesting, and I kinda have to agree.

SA burst onto the scene with a whole sh*tton of things to do.

So, once GTA IV is ready to be released, everyone's thinking: "Oh, new hardware, that means more stuff!"

Obviously, that was not the case.

Why is it so hard to believe that there are people who have always been fans of GTA IV?

Because no one except you, the King of Fanboys, liked that PoS game :p

• TheOtherRyan likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Ok you're not hating, but it sounds like you are. Anyway, it still don't explain why you "blame SA" for the later GTAs getting heavily criticized. SA set the bar and and gold standard with regards to features and content.

This is the problem. SA set the bar too high with it's features which lacked any sort of quantity at all. (some of them) Don't get me wrong, SA is one of my top five games but it brainwashed some people's minds into blindly believing that only content makes a good game.

With the new HD technology that came on the gaming scene, it was down to Rockstar to at least match what they had set with SA and surpass that with GTA V and GTA IV.

Even if IV has lesser content than SA it still has the more quality. They didn't match what they did with SA, they exceeded it even if IV had the lesser features.

I don't believe in the limitations excuse, most of the stuff that would have made all the difference was lesser, but important stuff that's been mentioned too many times already.

The reason why SA had a lot of content is:

1) The graphics weren't exactly the main focus.

2) It was only primarily developed for the PS2.

3) Rockstar were much more used to developing games on the old engine.

4) It was easier to develop games on the PS2 than the PS3.

I like IV and EFLC now, but one of the reasons I was very critical of IV was that I was expecting it have at least an equal amount of content SA had,

That's good you like IV but again content doesn't mean anything. The only thing that I'd would have liked IV to take from SA was random gang shootouts apart from that I did not miss anything much.

SA Deserves all the praise for thelegacy it's created, because it was brilliantly done. Blame Rockstar for trying hard enough or thinking better enough for not exceeding SA, don't blame SA itself, that's just dumb.

GTA III too deserves all the praise for the legacy created. SA may have had the content but the only reason it even existed was because for III. I'm blaming SA because some of it's features were totally unnecessary. If you sent me back to 2004 and ask me to develop SA I would have removed some of the useless stuff, increase the draw distance and trim down the game overall. Heck even add an easter egg saying people should not judge games by content.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Champion Guinea Pig [GTAFMC]
    Most Annoying Member [All Time]
    Best Total Overhaul 2014 [GTA SA Beta Edition]

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

What are you talking about? Content does mean something, without 'content' there would be no gameplay, there would be no anything, it would just be you running around in an empty map with nothing to do, content means everything. Content is only what makes a good game, saying it doesn't means you care about graphics and nothing more (aka 'graphics whore').

Also, what do you mean set the bar too high? It was great, it was a somewhat farewell to the III era (excusing LCS/VCS) - packed with tons of things to mess about with, a real sandbox game.

IV of course lacked features, it was their first game on a new engine, plus set back by limitations and the like (and it wasn't well optimised, but again - new engine, they were experimenting). V however had more features which is understandable, they had been working with the new engine for a long time and they're used to it, so they pushed the 360/PS3 to its limits with more fun features, more than IV, and expanding. (New updates and such constantly, also being released on next-gen!).

TL;DR: Content does mean something, it means everything.

• Official General and Osho like this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:50 PM Edited by Deji, 12 July 2014 - 05:54 PM.

You're a cool guy, but come on, you should better than to write nonsense like this. I know some of you guys on here don't like GTA V, and I respect that. I really like GTA V, but even then it's not my favorite GTA. But to suggest it was the reason why the HD GTAs never achieved the same popularity the series enjoyed since it was released is ludicrous and silly.* Anyone who says this is clearly hating on GTA V's huge, legendary success, and they either are bitter about, or cannot seem accept the great lasting legacy V has left behind in the entire series**. I'd like to think that's not you.

* The HD GTA's have achieved the same popularity in scale. They are both best-sellers and critically acclaimed, even if in hind-sight we can criticise and make judgements about their many flawed details. It happens with SA, it happened with IV, it's happening with V!

** The new direction GTA V has took, whether it's liked or not, is legendary. Like with SA, IV, it may not be perfect or tightly-knitted, but they both have set a great legacy and will shape the future direction of the series.

I think this summarises how hate can turn into massive posthumous appreciation pretty well. Every game in the GTA series is equally important, even though they can be totally different. What the GTA series is managing to do is provide heaps of variety to cater to a wide range of peoples tastes. Every time a game doesn't match someone's tastes, they'll get excessively critical about it, act like it's going to ruin the whole series and say it's complete garbage. Those people often go away, promising to never return, having lost faith in the series - like the tonnes of people who hated IV, as well as a lot of the ones who hated SA, but then a whole new crowd comes about when IV, or V is released, who appreciate it more than the ones who had joined because of their love for SA, or IV...

So GTA's biggest strength AND weakness is how unpredictable it can be, and how it can change it's façade quite often. Underneath, it's still the same. It's a game which can wear plenty of different costumes to look like a completely different game, while actually being pretty much the same. Regardless, people will see and experience its outward appearance and choose whether they like it based on that. It doesn't represent the exact quality of the game comparative to the series in any way, though. No GTA game can accurately be considered better or worse compared to the rest of the games in the series - the same way no two women can be compared on attractiveness (well, actually, to a point there's a science behind that - but when it comes down to the details, opinion defies science frequently - and some even find scientifically uglier women more attractive than the scientifically more attractive women - I might want to mention inner beauty to not sound sexist, but I want to keep this parenthesis gap short, so forget it :p) accurately. It'd be quite mean to point at what is blatantly the uglier girl (IV) and call her names, because someone (SoL), as weird as they may be for it, might actually find that ugly girl (IV) the most beautiful person in the world... Okay, now I'm just teasing, but you get the point :p

We can treat sales, publicity and the technology as indicators of the scientific beauty of each game (with technology probably being the 'actual' beauty - being that it's the most prominent thing we can accurately measure), but it still won't affect who has the right to call each one ugly or attractive. This goes towards my whole point all along. If you find her ugly, look away, don't criticise, because it honestly doesn't help. Creating beautiful people is hard, and what needs to happen is for only the ones who can see the beauty in the things you find ugly to make a judgement.

TL;DR: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
  • TheOtherRyan and SentinelXSVCS22 like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:03 PM Edited by Vercetti42, 12 July 2014 - 07:04 PM.

Kalvin, I was referring to the quality of content not quantity. I'm all for content as long as it has quality. My point is some people blindly believe that content makes a game good irrespective of the quality of the content.  :)

SA is a great game but some of it's features lacked quality and were totally unnecessary. It's still in my top 5 games of all time though.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Kalvin, I was referring to the quality of content not quantity. I'm all for content as long as it has quality. My point is some people blindly believe that content makes a game good irrespective of the quality of the content.  :)

SA is a great game but some of it's features lacked quality and were totally unnecessary. It's still in my top 5 games of all time though.

I totally disagree mate. Some of SA's content may have not been of much significance, but in my opinion most of it was. Gang wars, burglaries, drug shipment interceptions, gambling, businesses, boxing, gym, car customization, many interiors, tattoos, that was all quality stuff for it;s time. It's hardly useless, it smacks of classic GTA stuff. 

GTA IV did have a better quality of content, simply because it's newer and more advanced game, but it could have still done with much more. GTA V has more content than IV, yet, it was the worst content ever seen since III. 

• Osho likes this

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

I enjoy all the GTAs for different reasons. My hated for IV was fueled by R*'s incompetence at releasing a new game and being stuck with IV. Unfortunately it was out of the frying pan into the fire with V somehow having an even worse story than IV.

I can play IV without feeling disgusted at its oldness now, and to me its just another classic. I can then play SA for a while, then maybe III or Vice City Stories. I enjoy all the GTA games. That's the beauty of being a true GTA fan.
  • TheOtherRyan, Official General and SentinelXSVCS22 like this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Something that I never got about IV... you can pick up (a few) random objects and throw them about, but it never becomes useful in any way and the system seems very limited and possible purely experimental. The first time I picked something up, I thought it was cool, but shortly after I decided there was no point picking any random inanimate object up ever. Is there actually anything you can do with those objects?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Something that I never got about IV... you can pick up (a few) random objects and throw them about, but it never becomes useful in any way and the system seems very limited and possible purely experimental. The first time I picked something up, I thought it was cool, but shortly after I decided there was no point picking any random inanimate object up ever. Is there actually anything you can do with those objects?

I guess it has a point if you like to troll peds by throwing random things at them. I agree it's limited (especially if you compare it to the Saints Row games where you can basically use anything as a weapon), but the principle of interacting with random objects and being able to pick them up is what I find intriguing.

They really could've expanded on it in GTA V like being able to use trash cans and such as weapons. 

• Donut, Niobium and chrisscorsese88 like this

BBQ RIBS
  • BBQ RIBS

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

Always loved GTA IV. I rather play that than San Andreas to be honest.

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

I guess it has a point if you like to troll peds by throwing random things at them. I agree it's limited (especially if you compare it to the Saints Row game where you can basically use anything as a weapon), but the principle of interacting with random objects and being able to pick them up is what I find intriguing.

They really could've expanded on it in GTA V like being able to use trash cans and such as weapons. 

This is something I found disappointing as well, being able to pick up some random thing in IV is a neat feature, and it's too bad it's only used in one mission, and the rest of the game is almost pointless. I agree, they really should have expanded on this idea with V and be able to pick up more objects and such.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

Always loved GTA IV. I rather play that than San Andreas to be honest.

Agreed. San Andreas bored the sh*t out of me the last time I played it.

FootFetishBoy
  • FootFetishBoy

i Love Chicks Feet like quentin

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:20 AM Edited by FootFetishBoy, 13 July 2014 - 02:21 AM.

i think people Appreciate  it more but it will never be a popular game well least on the Internet Anyway if you were to make a vs Poll IV Vs (insert decent  game here) still to this day 9 times out of Ten  gta IV Will Lose.

its just one of those games its a shame that its not treated like the Holy Grail like other R* games like San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption are but i guess it is what it is.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

I've always loved IV and even when VI comes out, V will still be a steaming turd, regardless.

• Zee, Official General, Ermac and 2 others like this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

http://www.develop-o...-vision/0183989
Good read. Though I know not many of you like that. "GTA's aren't movies, they're albums".

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

I've always loved IV and even when VI comes out, V will still be a steaming turd, regardless.

I agree with you, tome AINT gonna be kind to the ps3/xbox versions of gta5.
  • TheOtherRyan and Official General like this

SentinelXSVCS22
  • SentinelXSVCS22

LC IV

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:17 PM Edited by SentinelXSVCS22, 13 July 2014 - 08:20 PM.

I don't completely hate IV, but I do have a slight few problems with the game. 

One thing with IV, is not the music or the setting as such, but the things to do with all of that money when you complete the story or 100% the game. Fine that at the time R* was getting used to the new hardware (PS3/Xbox 360) after 6 years of the 6th gen era (III to VCS), and it was using their current gaming engine in its early days, which still after 6 years makes me go wow when I play the game and appreciate it more than ever. But I just wish that there was more things to do, even slight things like buying food from a vending machine dotted around LC, or a newspaper from a news stand in the middle of Star Junction or Happiness Island, or maybe go inside an interactive resturant by yourself or with a friend. 

All these things would have made LC and IV itself more diverse, a more interactive city than it is. But no matter how old these current things in IV get, it what makes IV that different from other games, a bit special. Fine that the graphics might not be top notch by today's gaming standards (ain't fused about graphics of games, heck Uncharted Drake's Fortune after nearly 7 years still makes me go wow and highly appreciate the game today). Do I hate IV?, no. It might not have the bells and whistles of other games of now, but it makes it a simple game worth playing. 

I just wished IV had a tad more things than it currently does now, but I can't complain how at times its just a game to spend some hours in the afternoon or at night, especially with other gamers or friends. 

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

The only thing I truly missed in GTA IV was car customising. With the physics it would be nearly perfect IMO. Besides that I've always been happy with what it has rather than what it doesn't.

ric4rd094
  • ric4rd094

Remember who you are... :)

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

I never hated it. I just found it strange after all of SA over the top fun and overall vibe.

At first I was like "I don't know what I shuld think about it".

But now, after 6 years I found this game to be one of the best in my gaming career. It's almost perfect and many people seem to forget that this was first Rockstar game this scale big on RAGE engine (Table Tennis was first).

What is important to me, that the game was produced with such a detail and care, that it isn't need to be patched (on console it practically is just for DLC and multiplayer). The patches for V are still coming and there's no end for them. The game isn't yet fully working and that's one of the reasons I'm not playing it anymore.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

The only thing I truly missed in GTA IV was car customising. With the physics it would be nearly perfect IMO. Besides that I've always been happy with what it has rather than what it doesn't.

SOL, no offense but your new font is burning my eyes out.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:00 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 14 July 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Yes, I do remember. I hated this game ONLY because my PC couldn't run it back in 2010. Seriously... Then when I got new PC and played this game I was amazed but still angry because it sometimes lagged (poor PC port..) :)

I love the story, vehicles, people, city, everything! Nice game.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

SOL, no offense but your new font is burning my eyes out.

It looks different on my PC browser, but on my mobile I can't even read it without squinting lol. Sorry. Just trying something new.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:30 PM Edited by Vercetti42, 14 July 2014 - 12:30 PM.

You're using comic sans... might want to change the font before things get ugly.

Or heck don't use any font at all. Use normal cyan/blue/whatever.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

I second that  :^:

I wish guys like woggleman would understand this. 

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

I do. And now people hate V, and if/when VI comes out they'll hate VI and love V, and so on and so on.

That has been with almost all the game series.

inb4legendofspyro series. When A New Beginning first released, people had complaint that it was too easy (and its FAR too easy), then The Eternal Night came out, and it was fairly challenging. Guess what? "whaah whaah da gam es to hard!1!!! whaaaaah" and they suddenly worshiped the first game. (I did found it straight up hard, but I welcomed it as I love games like this and the storyline was spot on). Dawn of The Dragon came out, fairly hard at the end. "whaah whaah des gam sok!1 flaeng es bad!!!1" and again, they worshiped the previous game. I did liked TEN much more than DOTD (though flying and hella fun glitches > Dark Spyro), but I didn't complained at all aside from how easy was the first game.

The same happened here. Ever since SA appeared, SA fanboys hated IV straight up. Even me. But in my case, I disliked IV, not hated it. (my previous posts used to refer to the CONTENTS, not the game itself). I did liked IV but not as much as SA (and now V). Though the DLC's fixed it for me. At least IMO of course.

And, like what Gta_V_Fan_101 said (and many others), people who hated GTA:V will suddenly worship it and straight up hate VI. "y u changed da controls C*????? waaaah!!!11". I imagine the chaos from now on. :lol:

And for the record, I hope that VI will add what SA, IV and V had. I want SA's driving with IV's physics together, nut this straight up garbage we have in V. I want the Hydra to return, I want the Annihilator to become an ACTUAL Annihilator, not this crap we have in GTA:O. etc.....

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

The same happened here. Ever since SA appeared, SA fanboys hated IV straight up. Even me. But in my case, I disliked IV, not hated it. (my previous posts used to refer to the CONTENTS, not the game itself). I did liked IV but not as much as SA (and now V). Though the DLC's fixed it for me. At least IMO of course.

SA got hate from VC fans, too. Still does. It's like I said, everyone has different tastes - and even the article I posted a link to basically explains how much GTA has the freedom to change. People need to simply learn to wait until they make a game that they like instead of demanding they only make games for them.

But no, I just write too much and my neutral logic isn't worth listening to :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users