Remember when everyone hated this game?

146 replies to this topic
woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:18 AM

People just like to hate the newest one in the series. When VI comes out the cycle will repeat itself.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:19 AM Edited by Vercetti42, 10 July 2014 - 02:25 AM.

I always loved GTA IV, for people who say I'll love V after VI comes out, trust me, I will always hate GTA V.

Now that's going way too overboard man. No matter how disappointing a GTA is I will always like it because it's still the best game series ever made and I think that is something that we can all agree on.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:38 AM

Lol @ everyone saying that the same people who hated IV like it now. It's quite clear they are being possessed by SOL.

Spoiler

Remember I have the power to edit peoples' posts so you never know..

I was just thinking in person I actually don't know anyone who "hates" GTA IV. All of my friends thought it was a good game really.

It seems to be largely an internet phenomenon from what I've seen over the years.

f*cking Christ man. I was not expecting that as a profile picture.

Just about shat myself. Not really.

• Miamivicecity likes this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:39 AM Edited by Shenmue18, 10 July 2014 - 02:46 AM.

I always loved GTA IV, for people who say I'll love V after VI comes out, trust me, I will always hate GTA V.

Now that's going way too overboard man. No matter how disappointing a GTA is I will always like it because it's still the best game series ever made and I think that is something that we can all agree on.

So I have to like the new one because it's part of a good series? That makes no sense whatsoever. Let's say that your favorite movie series ever is the James Bond series, if the new Bond movie sucks do you have to like it specifically because the series has an acclaimed and rich history of movies? No, that wouldn't make any logical sense to just say "Welp, this sucks but because it's a Bond movie, I have to like it.". Don't get me wrong, just because I hate GTA V doesn't mean I now hate the Grand Theft Auto series, one sh*tty game out of a long line of amazing ones doesn't mean I'm just going to start saying f*ck the whole series, I won't do a complete 180 and change my entire opinion on GTA and Rockstar in general because of one bad game, I'm just not going to sugarcoat sh*t and call GTA V great when I thought that the game was bad.

I think you took my post out of context, I don't hate the series now, I just hate GTA V as a single game. If GTA VI comes out it's not like I'm not going to give a fair chance because of how sh*tty GTA V was, if anything GTA V being bad might make me lower my expectations for GTA VI, and then when VI comes out I might be surprised with it if it's a significant improvement on GTA V.

• Deji likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

one sh*tty game

how sh*tty GTA V was,

I'm not going to be a sugarcoat sh*t and call GTA V a great game

Two things here:

1) You went way too overboard and overreacted way too much.

2) You misread my post.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:04 AM Edited by Shenmue18, 10 July 2014 - 03:06 AM.

one sh*tty game

how sh*tty GTA V was,

I'm not going to be a sugarcoat sh*t and call GTA V a great game

Two things here:

1) You went way too overboard and overreacted way too much.

2) You misread my post.

If you meant you'll always like the series then that's not a problem, but again, I didn't say I hate the series now, I just dislike V. Also I didn't really overreact, I just was trying to get my point across that if you meant you'll always like any GTA game because of it's history would be silly.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:04 AM

Why are you dissecting his post in the first place? What he said wasn't overboard.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

Yeah what I meant was that I'd always like a new GTA. I don't even get a new GTA when it's released first so I know what to expect because I still have to wait for the PC version.

So, in a way it helps.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

So this is the American Dream?

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:46 AM

People just like to hate the newest one in the series. When VI comes out the cycle will repeat itself.

I blame San Andreas if I had to be honest. It wouldn't matter how great GTA VI is parallels to San Andreas will always be drawn..

I like GTA V, but IMO the worst thing R* done was to try and appeal to the San Andreas fanbase yet at the same time try to go down a different path. That's why a lot of people feel it's confused and doesn't know what it wants to be.

At least with GTA IV there was a clear direction and R* stuck with it throughout the whole game. I'm not even sure what to expect from GTA VI. Will they continue trying to please everyone or make something they always envisioned like GTA IV? Who knows.

• Shenmue18 likes this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:03 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 10 July 2014 - 04:03 AM.

Those f*cking eyes are staring into my soul...

EDIT: And I just saw your sig too. *sigh* lol

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

• Australia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

Those f*cking eyes are staring into my soul...

EDIT: And I just saw your sig too. *sigh* lol

What's wrong? You GTA V fans scare easily? ;)

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

I blame San Andreas if I had to be honest. It wouldn't matter how great GTA VI is parallels to San Andreas will always be drawn..

I like GTA V, but IMO the worst thing R* done was to try and appeal to the San Andreas fanbase yet at the same time try to go down a different path. That's why a lot of people feel it's confused and doesn't know what it wants to be.

At least with GTA IV there was a clear direction and R* stuck with it throughout the whole game. I'm not even sure what to expect from GTA VI. Will they continue trying to please everyone or make something they always envisioned like GTA IV? Who knows.

I hope they do the latter. I love V but it's biggest flaw to me is that for the first they seem to be pandering. I hope they realize they simply can't please everybody and next time make the game they want to make. The worst thing they could do is listen to the complainers on the internet because they listened to the critics of IV and look at what the response is. 

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:55 PM Edited by Official General, 11 July 2014 - 07:05 PM.

I hope they do the latter. I love V but it's biggest flaw to me is that for the first they seem to be pandering. I hope they realize they simply can't please everybody and next time make the game they want to make. The worst thing they could do is listen to the complainers on the internet because they listened to the critics of IV and look at what the response is. 

I don't think they were pandering to anything. I think Rockstar just got really arrogant with V. They rested on their laurels, and really believed that everyone will like it and that it would sell by the ton as usual. Yeah it was a huge commercial and critical success, but in the aftermath, it's clear that many people now feel it's not deserved for legitimate reasons, now it faces a huge barrage of criticism. There is a difference between IV and V, because IV was the first HD GTA title - Rockstar were entitled to take a different approach when using new technology for the first time, they could have been excused for the mistakes they made and learned from it. However with V, they had a clear opportunity to make everything right or nearly everything right and in my view they just blew it, it's like they did not appear to care. Then there was the strong indications of selling out to the online MP industry for continuous cash flow, they even had the audacity and nerve to charge real cash for their own in-game currency to buy and quickly get advantages, which is totally useless because of hackers and the like. 

@ woggleman

Look if people don't like a game, they don't like a game, it don't matter whether it's 10 years or whether it came out this hour. I don't really see how you read into anything else beyond that. 

Seriously your logic that people hate on new installments of major game franchises just 'to be cool' really sounds stupid. Bro, you seriously think people have time for that ? Unless they are loners and have no social life at all, then I would say most gamers don't care to look cool over what games they like. It's such a meaningless, trivial, and simplistic issue, I just don't see how one can think they'd get any kind of recognition for being cool if they don't like a video game. Why would anyone give a f*ck about whether you like a video game or not ? Just exactly how are you supposed to gain and achieve these 'cool' credentials based on your dislike of video games ? Is there an online popularity chart that validates the coolness of people who hate certain video games ? I fail to see this nonsense. Seriously bro, think about it, it's dumb.

And it's been said to you many times, you cannot conclusively prove they are the same people disliking the same games. I thought you would have understood that by now, but clearly you have not. 

• Miamivicecity and ric4rd094 like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

I don't think they were pandering to anything. I think Rockstar just got really arrogant with V. They rested on their laurels, and really believed that everyone will like it and that it would sell by the ton as usual. Yeah it was a huge commercial and critical success, but in the aftermath, it's clear that many people now feel it's not deserved for legitimate reasons, now it faces a huge barrage of criticism. There is a difference between IV and V, because IV was the first HD GTA title - Rockstar were entitled to take a different approach when using new technology for the first time, they could have been excused for the mistakes they made and learned from it. However with V, they had a clear opportunity to make everything right or nearly everything right and in my view they just blew it, it's like they did not appear to care. Then there was the strong indications of selling out to the online MP industry for continuous cash flow, they even had the audacity and nerve to charge real cash for their own in-game currency to buy and quickly get advantages, which is totally useless because of hackers and the like. 

@ woggleman

Look if people don't like a game, they don't like a game, it don't matter whether it's 10 years or whether it came out this hour. I don't really see how you read into anything else beyond that. 

Seriously your logic that people hate on new installments of major game franchises just 'to be cool' really sounds stupid. Bro, you seriously people have time for that ? Unless they are loners and have no social life at all, then I would say most gamers don't care to look cool over what games they like ? It's such a trivial and simplistic issue, I just don't how one can think they'd get any kind of recognition for being cool. Why would anyone give a f*ck about whether you like a game or not ? Just exactly how are you supposed to gain and achieve these 'cool' credentials based on your dislike of games ? Is there an online popularity chart that validates the coolness of people of hate certain games ? I fail to see this nonsense. Seriously bro, think about it, it's dumb.

And it's been said to you many times, you cannot conclusively prove they are the same people disliking the same games. I thought you would have understood that by now, but clearly you have not. 

I don't know why hipsterism exists but it does. It exists in music, movies and video games. Have you ever noticed how whenever an artist or group has some success the original fans turn on it? The same exists with game. I believe you are sincere with how you feel about the game but many people are bandwagon jumpers. They tore IV apart and now all of a sudden it is the best thing since sliced bread. I am not psychic but if the same thing repeated itself with VI it would not shock me in the least. V is being treated the way IV was.

• Deji likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

@ woggleman

Seriously your logic that people hate on new installments of major game franchises just 'to be cool' really sounds stupid. Bro, you seriously people have time for that ? Unless they are loners and have no social life at all, then I would say most gamers don't care to look cool over what games they like ? It's such a trivial and simplistic issue, I just don't how one can think they'd get any kind of recognition for being cool. Why would anyone give a f*ck about whether you like a game or not ? Just exactly how are you supposed to gain and achieve these 'cool' credentials based on your dislike of games ? Is there an online popularity chart that validates the coolness of people of hate certain games ? I fail to see this nonsense. Seriously bro, think about it, it's dumb.

I don't know why hipsterism exists but it does. It exists in music, movies and video games. Have you ever noticed how whenever an artist or group has some success the original fans turn on it? The same exists with game. I believe you are sincere with how you feel about the game but many people are bandwagon jumpers. They tore IV apart and now all of a sudden it is the best thing since sliced bread. I am not psychic but if the same thing repeated itself with VI it would not shock me in the least. V is being treated the way IV was.

Hipsterism exists, but I don't believe it's is of any significance in gaming. Even if you think it is, I don't see why you keep stressing this issue like it really matters at all, because it don't. If people wanna be sad weirdos, and hate a game to look 'cool' then let them, that's up to them, what's the point about complaining about other people's silly ways ?  This hipstersim bullsh*t you think exists in gaming has nothing to do with people who genuine did not like certain GTA games and seek to engage in discussions about it. 

Seriously, it's so irrelevant. 

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

• Australia

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

. They tore IV apart and now all of a sudden it is the best thing since sliced bread. 

That's a pretty bold generalisation. Unless you have proof all of which you're saying is just assumption. Like I said in one of my other posts it's like trying to convict someone of murder without having any evidence to back it up.

The problem is you're not just targeting a small group of people, but a majority. Why is it so hard to believe that there are people who have always been fans of GTA IV? The idea that GTA V on its own all of sudden made people fans of GTA IV is quite frankly laughable and despite you and other GTA V fans trying to make it seem like GTA V gets similar treatment while GTA IV is treated like the holy grail is off putting as,well.

GTA IV still gets treated like it's the video game equivalent of satan. Have you ever visited other gaming forums besides this one? Mainstream audiences still don't like or have accepted GTA IV pretty much like it was 6 years ago. So saying people tore it apart and now it's the best thing since sliced bread is....well a load of crap because that would imply the consensus on GTA IV has changed considerably which I don't believe it has.

This forum isn't as bad as it was in 2008, but GTA IV still has its fair share of critics. Anyway I honestly don't know why you stress yourself over stuff like this. You're a smart guy, but who cares what other people think? I mean really? As OG said above if there are people who want to hate on a newer game just to look cool more power to them.

I don't even hate GTA V, but when GTA VI releases whenever that may be I'm not going to turn into a GTA V fan overnight. I'll still have the opinion that while it's a good game there were many missed opportunities. If GTA VI is a significantly better game than GTA V than its praise should be accordingly. If not than criticism should be applied also, but that doesn't mean it's just because it's the newer game.

• Official General and Misunderstood like this

Lowi
  • Lowi

Playa

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

GTA IV was more hated than GTA V.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:41 PM Edited by Vercetti42, 11 July 2014 - 01:41 PM.

Hey guys if you want to debate that's fine, but please quote only the relevant pasts and not the whole quote train. I'm getting sick of scrolling down continuously.

Just a heads up. :)

And yes GTA IV still gets hate obviously. That being said I still blame SA. If GTA IV released after VC... things would have been different.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:13 PM Edited by Deji, 11 July 2014 - 02:13 PM.

That being said I still blame SA.

F*CK that stupid GTA SA game for being so perfect and raising expectations!!!

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:09 PM Edited by Official General, 11 July 2014 - 07:49 PM.

That being said I still blame SA. If GTA IV released after VC... things would have been different.

You're a cool guy, but come on, you should better than to write nonsense like this. I know some of you guys on here don't like SA, and I respect that. I really like SA, but even then it's not my favorite GTA. But to suggest it was the reason why the HD GTAs never achieved the same popularity the series enjoyed since it was released is ludicrous and silly. Anyone who says this is clearly hating on SA's huge, legendary success, and they either are bitter about, or cannot seem accept the great lasting legacy SA has left behind in the entire series. I'd like to think that's not you. 

• TheKillerDonuts likes this

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

GTA universe resident since 2002

• Members
  • France

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Back in 2008, I was expecting so much for GTA IV, that it was almost sure I'd be dissapointed.

I didn't like the dark and gritty approach of the game, neither the storyline that I still find just above average (I've completed the game 4 times).

However things like the stunning ragdoll, the well designed city and all the media related stuffs (internet, tv, radio) are very interesting.

As a long time GTA fan, I've never hated the game, but I've never loved it that much, I think it has been overrated. There's no way GTA IV is an improved GTA San Andreas (if we do not take graphics in consideration).

I was also expecting waaay too much for GTA V, but even if it features annoying cons, I like it a lot. I've been playing it for 310 hours (sp only) since september, and I'm not planning to stop right now.

However, call me a San Andreas fanboy if you want, but GTA V failed to reach the massiveness and ambition of GTA S.A.

That's just my opinion, I guess nobody will give a sh*t, but I wrote it anyway ;-)

• Official General likes this

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:02 PM Edited by Andreas, 11 July 2014 - 09:07 PM.

I still remember the moment when I played IV for the first time. At first, I was being indifferent about the game - it made a number of of things better than its predecessors, but it was something new for me and I hadn't known what to think of it. Back then, I didn't experience the pre-release period of any game. I just bought games when I heard they were good, or when they were part of a series I knew and loved, with GTA being the best example. The only thing I did prior to the purchase was to watch some trailers, so it was indeed a surprise - a surprise that had me shocked.

But I still had continued to play it, because I knew it wasn't bad to experience something new. I played IV for a few hours on daily basis from then on, and it got better and better over time. And, as you can see, I changed my mind. I was no longer shocked about the new approach Rockstar took with what was the newest installment of the GTA series back then. In fact, I started to love this game and it has been my favourite GTA for a while - and it is one of my favourite games ever. Recently, I gave the multiplayer component a try for the first time in a long time, and while it can be considered as minimalistic it is quite enjoyable, in my opinion. It makes me appreciate the game even more.

I don't know about you guys, but I think out of all Grand Theft Auto games, IV aged the best. Even after six years, it is still fun and I enjoy every second I spend on it.

• Miamivicecity, Official General, HaythamKenway and 2 others like this

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

GTA universe resident since 2002

• Members
  • France

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Interesting point of view, me too the bold new direction rather shocked me at first, but the more I played it, the more this feeling faded away.

Well, I'd say that every GTA since the III aged very well, except the Stories (although I love L.C.S., I must admit it feel really outdated now. It's even worst for VCS). In my opinion, Vice City aged the best, I've been playing it recently on Xbox, and it blew my mind how such an old game still feel fresh in 2014.

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

Interesting point of view, me too the bold new direction rather shocked me at first, but the more I played it, the more this feeling faded away.

Well, I'd say that every GTA since the III aged very well, except the Stories (although I love L.C.S., I must admit it feel really outdated now. It's even worst for VCS). In my opinion, Vice City aged the best, I've been playing it recently on Xbox, and it blew my mind how such an old game still feel fresh in 2014.

Vice city was way ahead of its time. Imagine Vice City on today's consoles, including all of its features. Better than San Andreas in my opinion.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

• Australia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

There's no way GTA IV is an improved GTA San Andreas (if we do not take graphics in consideration).

It's not meant to be an improved San Andreas. It's its own game. I don't know about you guys, but what I was expecting from GTA IV was pretty much realised when the game was new. From the moment I saw the debut trailer in 2007 I knew it was going to be vastly different to its predecessors.

IMO I'd actually consider GTA IV to be the most bold and ambitious GTA there is not because of features, but because of the direction R* chose for it. It took some serious balls to do what R* did with GTA IV and that's why I'll always admire it.

To me GTA IV is kinda like an un-conventional piece of art that people simply don't understand the artist's motivations.

• HaythamKenway, Andreas and TheKillerDonuts like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:50 AM

That being said I still blame SA. If GTA IV released after VC... things would have been different.

You're a cool guy, but come on, you should better than to write nonsense like this. I know some of you guys on here don't like SA, and I respect that. I really like SA, but even then it's not my favorite GTA. But to suggest it was the reason why the HD GTAs never achieved the same popularity the series enjoyed since it was released is ludicrous and silly. Anyone who says this is clearly hating on SA's huge, legendary success, and they either are bitter about, or cannot seem accept the great lasting legacy SA has left behind in the entire series. I'd like to think that's not you. 

I'm not hating on SA. I just wish Rockstar cut the amount of content they had in the game. Some people think that GTA is all about content when it clearly isn't.

Coat.
  • Coat.

sky is the limit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

Yep. I used to bash this game and told everyone it was only better in terms of graphics but changed my mind after buying it.

To be honest I think its sad when people only judge GTA IV just for its graphics. At least you wised up and gave it more credit than just the way it looks.

I agree with this x100.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Then perhaps we shall start a revolution of our own

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:01 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 12 July 2014 - 08:02 AM.

@Andreas

I miss IV MP's minimalism. I admit, I haven't played Online since it's horrible launch, but I don't really feel like doing it either. It just screams EXP grinding and money farming at me. Playing multiplayer games nowadays isn't about going out and having fun, it's about leveling up and getting the SIKKEST SWAGG DAWG.

@Kalerney

I think Stories are still great games. They are very unique and ambitious for handheld games as not many other developers even tried putting games of the same scope on PSP and both surpassed their predecessors in many ways (at least LCS blew III away completely; VCS lacked some of the charm and style VC had).

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:05 PM Edited by Official General, 12 July 2014 - 03:38 PM.

I'm not hating on SA. I just wish Rockstar cut the amount of content they had in the game. Some people think that GTA is all about content when it clearly isn't.

Ok you're not hating, but it sounds like you are. Anyway, it still don't explain why you "blame SA" for the later GTAs getting heavily criticized. SA set the bar and and gold standard with regards to features and content. With the new HD technology that came on the gaming scene, it was down to Rockstar to at least match what they had set with SA and surpass that with GTA V and GTA IV. Many people actually expected them to surpass what they did with SA as far as features/content goes. They failed to do that with GTA V and to a much lesser extent, GTA IV. I don't believe in the limitations excuse, most of the stuff that would have made all the difference was lesser, but important stuff that's been mentioned too many times already. I like IV and EFLC now, but one of the reasons I was very critical of IV was that I was expecting it have at least an equal amount of content SA had, because of better, advanced tech. When that didn't happen, I thought ok, they cannot possibly do the same sh*t again with V. To my shock and horror, V had even less content than IV, well decent ones anyway. 

SA rightly deserves the legacy it's created, because it was brilliantly done. Blame Rockstar for trying hard enough or thinking better enough for not exceeding SA, don't blame SA itself, that's just dumb. 

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:25 PM Edited by kipakolonyasi, 12 July 2014 - 03:32 PM.

Why is it so hard to believe that there are people who have always been fans of GTA IV? The idea that GTA V on its own all of sudden made people fans of GTA IV is quite frankly laughable and despite you and other GTA V fans trying to make it seem like GTA V gets similar treatment while GTA IV is treated like the holy grail is off putting as,well.

you are right. but you know what made it come to this? the elitism that GTA IV fans showed towards GTA V/people who loved GTA V in the early days. so GTA V fans - sometimes including me - reacted against it. it's completely natural.

edit: found a good photo to support my argument so i'm going to add this:

what i'm saying is, if you take the fanbase of a game (like GTA V) and treat them like they are this:

C0Dm4Nt.png

that's what you are going to get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users