Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

5,363 replies to this topic
TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Homie

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:50 AM Edited by Dexter_Morgan, 13 February 2018 - 03:00 AM.

NPCs actually bought stuff from food vendors and newspaper stands (such as this fella starting his day with a delicious Sprunk)

4437-gta-iv-screenshot.jpg

Laughable in V that NPCs who hang around near the gas stations don't walk in and buy some more smokes (considering that's mostly what some NPCs do). I mean they could have even went in to buy a soda or some snacks too but they don't. Hell, you didn't have to be the only one to hold up a store either... some NPCs could have held up the store which would have been pretty funny.
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Tycek and 7 others like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Kids See Ghost

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:30 AM Edited by Mr_Rager, 13 February 2018 - 04:31 AM.

NPCs in V just scream, blabber random GTA 3 pedestrian tier sh*t or have twelve sneezing fits in ten minutes.
  • Lock n' Stock, assCRACK_98, Arrows to Athens and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:41 AM

I'll say that alot of arguments are subjective here, but this is one thing you absolutely cannot deny that GTA IV did better.

I try to avoid things that are purely subjective such as the story and only focus on the arguments that are hard to argue against like the differences in the physics, ped A.I behaviour etc.
  • Lock n' Stock, UltraGizmo64, Arrows to Athens and 4 others like this

Lock n' Stock
  • Lock n' Stock

"I don't fit in anywhere!"

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:20 AM Edited by Lock N' Stock, 15 February 2018 - 03:21 AM.

I'll say that alot of arguments are subjective here, but this is one thing you absolutely cannot deny that GTA IV did better.

I try to avoid things that are purely subjective such as the story and only focus on the arguments that are hard to argue against like the differences in the physics, ped A.I behaviour etc.

True. And to be fair, I think there's positives in GTA V that are hard to argue against as well, like map size, customisation options and a larger variety of vehicles and weapons.

Hell, that's why I love all GTA games, since they all have cool things to offer. IV however definitely feels like one of a kind amongst them all.

• Algonquin Assassin and AlexanderPierce like this

Habbrow94
  • Habbrow94

Free Thinker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

Rockstar Games if you are out there reading this thread,  please take note. We are all hardcore fans and would like the next installment to have many of the old features implemented back in the game. There where many things that GTAIV got right that are missing entirely in V..   

The biggest offender for me in GTAV is the cops being way overpowered and extremely aggressive. Its not fun to have shootouts anymore, and they still hadn't updated the damn game for that  on ps3. Another one is the car flipping off the side of a cliff, small hill, not even that high up and exploding instantly on impact. The last thing you want are the cop cars flinging off the edge of a cliff crashing into yours every two seconds blowing you up. Its suppose to be a fun game, not everything has to have a realistic texture to it and I dont even think thats called realistic. Forgive me comrades but I havent played the next gen version of the game enough to see if those hitmarkers (kill effect) was actually made optional to disable.... That god awful 3 second wasted screen where everything goes all slow and disappears off screen which should be fixed  with a more paced action resemblance of GTAIV wasted screen where you can actually see the characters body flopping and all the possibilities for a few moments for what have you.

I havent posted in years but came back to see what was up and this is whats up, the never ending thread that is still bumpin and rightfully so !   Brothers  sisters we are one and the same a family. To be fair mods where implemented so we could fix GTA V  :evilgrin:   something that wasn't even necessary to do with its predecessors!  This is it people we are going to the moon  again

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, SchizNitz and 5 others like this

MARKUS.
  • MARKUS.

Markos Dangerous

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:31 PM Edited by Markhosdangerous, 22 February 2018 - 08:32 PM.

Failing mission cutscenes (or phone calls) for every mission, for every scenario. 

ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:03 PM Edited by ToyGT_one, 22 February 2018 - 11:04 PM.

I find it weird how everyone complained about Roman calling Niko all the time while no one really talks about how in GTA Online, Lester, Malc, Ron and Agent guy likes to ring your phone far more often than any of the GTA 4 characters.

"Buy this business thing, it's going to be great."
"Go and buy that hanger"
"Please buy a clubhouse"
"It's your fault if 'murica collapsed, please buy this underground place"
"Get a bunker and get loads of arm dealership"

Just stop. I don't need any of your BS. I just wanna have fun. At least GTA 4 weren't THAT BAD.

Sadly the fans are blind and often be a one sided.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, SchizNitz and 4 others like this

DirtCheap
  • DirtCheap

Cheapskate

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:58 PM

I find it weird how everyone complained about Roman calling Niko all the time while no one really talks about how in GTA Online, Lester, Malc, Ron and Agent guy likes to ring your phone far more often than any of the GTA 4 characters.

"Go and buy that hanger"
"Please buy a clubhouse"

Just stop. I don't need any of your BS. I just wanna have fun. At least GTA 4 weren't THAT BAD.

Not to mention the fact that if you don't want Roman nagging you about bowling, you can simply mute him. 

In Online, you get calls all the time, no matter what and you cannot mute them. In a gunfight with a tryhard? Sorry, my discussion about bunkers is more important. This shows how low R* is going just so you can buy an expensive building and have to buy Sharkcards so you don't end up grinding for materials. 

• AlexanderPierce likes this

Lock n' Stock
  • Lock n' Stock

"I don't fit in anywhere!"

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:11 AM Edited by Lock N' Stock, 23 February 2018 - 02:19 AM.

"Go and buy that hanger"
"Please buy a clubhouse"

Not to mention the fact that if you don't want Roman nagging you about bowling, you can simply mute him. 

In Online, you get calls all the time, no matter what and you cannot mute them. In a gunfight with a tryhard? Sorry, my discussion about bunkers is more important. This shows how low R* is going just so you can buy an expensive building and have to buy Sharkcards so you don't end up grinding for materials. 

I'm surprised more people haven't complained about the text messages you get in single-player when you own businesses. You know, the ones asking you to carry out tedious and repetitive tasks (like delivering booze to an establishment because of a shiftless f*ckwit deliveryman) and the ones you again receive if you refuse to do it. At least in IV you could hang up or set your phone to private. I'm not sure if doing the latter in V blocks the messages, but either way I found them to be way more of a f*cking annoyance than Roman's bowling calls.

F*cking hell, property management in general felt so half-arsed that they may as well have not put it in at all. You can't even enter your own establishments, even the ones that have interiors (like Tequi-la-la). Don't get me wrong, I love V, but things like that make the game feel like a complete joke. The worst part of all is that things don't actually have to be that way, but R* seems to have no intention of improving features that are most obviously incomplete.

• Hmmm nice bike, Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg and 6 others like this

Timcatgt5
  • Timcatgt5

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:58 AM

It has the best driving physics and handling for a game that isn't a racing simulator.

I am used to vehicles that handle heavier than arcade handling so that's why most of the time I'm driving around the city.

No pay n spray makes it easier to identify vehicles with a unique color or body modification, so I can keep them in the parking spots. It's nice to drive a black with red pearlescent SuperGT or a PMP 600 with the hybrid grill in white or black.
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Ertan Soner and 1 other like this

Big_Smiley
  • Big_Smiley

Big Homeboy

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:36 AM Edited by Big_Smiley, 25 February 2018 - 08:50 AM.

This gif alone sh*ts on V's trio....

Spoiler

Also because sh*t like this can randomly happen :lol:

Spoiler
  • Slax_Vice86, anthony and Arrows to Athens like this

CoolMods
  • CoolMods

San Andreas FTW!

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Romania

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:33 AM Edited by CoolMods, 25 February 2018 - 11:34 AM.

Everything. Why? GTA IV is a masterpiece like San Andreas while GTA V is just garbage trash.

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony, Arrows to Athens and 1 other like this

giannism13
  • giannism13

Player Hater

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

For me, i really miss the subway/metro system. It really added to the gaem a lot

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

I'm surprised more people haven't complained about the text messages you get in single-player when you own businesses. You know, the ones asking you to carry out tedious and repetitive tasks (like delivering booze to an establishment because of a shiftless f*ckwit deliveryman) and the ones you again receive if you refuse to do it. At least in IV you could hang up or set your phone to private. I'm not sure if doing the latter in V blocks the messages, but either way I found them to be way more of a f*cking annoyance than Roman's bowling calls.

F*cking hell, property management in general felt so half-arsed that they may as well have not put it in at all. You can't even enter your own establishments, even the ones that have interiors (like Tequi-la-la). Don't get me wrong, I love V, but things like that make the game feel like a complete joke. The worst part of all is that things don't actually have to be that way, but R* seems to have no intention of improving features that are most obviously incomplete.

I think that's just a sign of how many people play single player vs Online where those calls asking you to perform menial tasks never happens (and instead you get 15 million calls a day from a bunch of other annoying idiots).

Properties and property management in V was pretty much tacked-on last minute. I'm pretty sure I remember one of the early previews stating that you wouldn't be able to purchase properties, people threw a fit and complained, and by the time the game came out, you could buy properties, but it was Saints Row 3 style property management (buy a building that you can't even go into). I think Rockstar have just become lazy by now, and they probably figure that most people will buy anything as long as their logo is slapped onto it.

• anthony, Lock n' Stock, ToyGT_one and 1 other like this

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

I bought golf club as Franklin and security still tries to beat him up if he goes to golf club at night; lol. I can't even say I am your f*cking boss.

If you buy a property, it takes ages to actually gain a profit. So they are useless. I only love los santos customs, free car mods.

If you do Lester's assasinations after story, you will be sitting on billions, that's one of the reason I laugh all property mission.

Sorry, I can't risk my ass to drive a weed van to my very legal(?) marijuana shop just for, mmm 10k? lol.
  • Lock n' Stock likes this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:57 PM Edited by Hmmm nice bike, 25 February 2018 - 10:00 PM.

Why should they even be calling you to run random errands like that? You're the owner of the business and for some reason, you have to buy liquor, deliver weed, etc. It makes even less sense than the pizza delivery missions in VC. Tommy needed the money early on in the game's story, plus it's not like he owned the pizza shop. Instead, V has the equivalent of Jeff Bezos personally delivering packages to people and stocking shelves at Whole Foods.

• Lock n' Stock and UltraGizmo64 like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

It’s pretty obvious that the properties were only added at the last moment since they play no role in the story and most likely just an excuse to give people something to spend money on.

It’s bare minimum effort at best IMO. The idea of buying these places and doing crappy errands just make it feel like a wasted opportunity (Just like most things in GTA V sadly).

If GTA V was as single player orientated as GTA IV it could’ve been a great addition, but it’s only serviceable and doesn’t affect the game in any major way.
  • Awesom-0 and AlexanderPierce like this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

Crazy to think I've only completed the story of GTA V once and the story of IV a couple dozen times. GTA V's story is a snooze fest after the mission "Friends Reunited". In IV, I just prefer the more interesting characters and side characters. Seriously, Eddie Low as a side character has more of a back story than some major characters in V... That's just crazy if you think about it. The characters in IV are just more engaging instead of the characters in V.
  • Hmmm nice bike, Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg and 3 others like this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

Seriously, Eddie Low as a side character has more of a back story than some major characters in V... That's just crazy if you think about it. The characters in IV are just more engaging instead of the characters in V.

Giving so many characters developed backstories is part of what made IV great. V's characters didn't have nearly as much history behind them, I think partly thanks to a lack of the police database. You could use that to look up a ton of characters and learn new things about them. In V, I don't think they put much thought in anyone's backstory besides the protagonists. Then there'd be some tidbits here and there for a few other characters, but nowhere near as much of the character development we got in IV.
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Tycek and 2 others like this

Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Proud Pigalle Owner

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:52 PM Edited by Arrows to Athens, 01 March 2018 - 10:53 PM.

Seriously, Eddie Low as a side character has more of a back story than some major characters in V... That's just crazy if you think about it. The characters in IV are just more engaging instead of the characters in V.

Giving so many characters developed backstories is part of what made IV great. V's characters didn't have nearly as much history behind them, I think partly thanks to a lack of the police database. You could use that to look up a ton of characters and learn new things about them. In V, I don't think they put much thought in anyone's backstory besides the protagonists. Then there'd be some tidbits here and there for a few other characters, but nowhere near as much of the character development we got in IV.

Probably because they were too busy thinking about how much money they will make from shark cards in online.

• TheOriginalGunslinger likes this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Weapon sounds. The M4 is an eargasm waiting to happen. The Deagle sounds good too.

DeathMachine15
  • DeathMachine15

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

Cops actually act like people.
Civilians aren't braindead in 4.
Gta 5 has duller missions.
Back at square one ps2 driving in 5.
Less repetitive environments in 4.
Much better combat.
Better voice acting.
A stronger and more focused story.
Characters have real development. Characters in 5 are as interesting as those of a cod campaign.
Interiors.
More focus on single player than online.
  • anthony and Ertan Soner like this

Kane49
  • Kane49

You can pick the game, but you can't change the rules.

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Kane49, 2 weeks ago.

- The feeling of the game. (You can feel the game as whole; in the story, you feel like it's your own story, like you're in the protagonist's shoes. You can also feel the game's fights and chases very well)

- Well written characters.

- Better protagonist(s). (Bellic/Klebitz/Lopez > Townley/Phillips/Clinton)

- Better deuteragonists and side-kicks. (GTA V's side-kicks aren't even memorable. I know that Roman isn't someone who would hold a gun, and Tony's attending beside Luis in a fight is a rare, but both of them were great partners. Jim is the best deuteragonist, maybe in the whole series, at least for many people. Also, Jacob is a side-kick too, seems to be the main side-kick of Niko, although he is the tritagonist, but not the deuteragonist, still he's the one who helps him when he needs it and fight alongside him, and I think he would be the best side-kick in the entry series as whole, even over Jim)

- Great antagonists who can be taken seriously. (Rascalov/Grey/Bulgarin > GTA V's antagonists)

- Only one playable character.

- The way Niko, Johnny and Luis are connected. (They aren't hardcore partners like in GTA V. Niko and Johnny get to know each other and work with each other only two times, and Luis being an enemy since the beginning actually. Each one of them would backstab the other one from behind the wall; Johnny kidnaps Roman and steals the diamond money, Niko kills Jason and Jim)

- Solid stories. (Maybe TBoGT is an exception, but still even better than GTA V's story)

- Better endings.

- Cutscenes and conversations that can be actually considered funny and enjoyable. (Unlike clowns in GTA V who try to be funny but always fail)

- The real Lost MC. (I can understand that meth can get Johnny to weakness, but not the way that makes him hug Trevor, and turn the whole MC to a bunch of pussies who don't stand a chance in front of a psycho cowboy)

- Better gangs in general. (Gangs have bigger roles in GTA IV, and they're kinda better and stronger. In GTA V, gangs weren't very cool, not better than GTA SA's gangs, nor than IV's of course)

- Better vehicle handling. (GTA V's handling would fit for a racing game)

- Better physics.

- Way better fighting mechanics. (All of fighting mechanics; hand, melee and fire)

- Punching NPCs is more logical. (You don't expect someone to die with a single punch, lol)

- Pushing NPCs is way better. (Not sure if it's present in V)

- NPCs have chances to survive when they get shot or hit, with pain and slow walking.

- Limited uses of phones and social media compared to GTA V. (We don't need to waste time on them actually in a 'video game'. What next? Playing consoles in GTA VI?)

- Better DLCs. (Actually, each DLC is a unique game itself, just less missions)

- Better online. (GTA V's online is full of childish people, and a lot of kids who buy the game just for its online mode. It's more like a deathmatch game than GTA)

- Car modifications. (Feels like a racing game, most of people pay a lot of attention to it, wasting sh*tload of their time modifying cars)

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Tycek and 2 others like this

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Sleepwalking, 3 weeks ago.

- Limited uses of phones and social media compared to GTA V. (We don't need to waste time on them actually in a 'video game'. What next? Playing consoles in GTA VI?)

Phone and social media is completely optional in GTA V.

You don't have to check bleeter or lifeinvader if you don't want and you don't get a penalty for that.

In GTA IV you can't even beat campaign if you don't go that stupid dating site or can't easily reach %100 if you don't use your phone intensely to hangout with someone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users