Photo

Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

5,097 replies to this topic
Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

No mission rating, while I like TBoGT this feature should have stayed there and not have been brought to V. Some of the most fun I've had during missions is finding different ways to complete them, then getting a bronze rating or whatever for not following these mission guidelines is a bit of a downer.
  • gunziness, Pastry, Misunderstood and 4 others like this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

One thing I noticed when you get some air in a car, when it lands you can really feel the soft suspension and it feels more natural. Depending on how harsh the road is and how fast you go over the bumps you can have greater control over how straight your vehicle can handle after landing. Not like V where if you land a car it just goes bang and you continue in a dead straight line like there was no jump at all.

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • New-Caledonia

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:02 AM

GTA IV doesn't require you to grind a lame companion app just to unlock an extra feature.

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:45 AM

GTA IV had amazing Euphoria animations and they were only used in proper conditions (like being drunk), however in V they're horrible as f*ck yet they are all "in your face" with a dedicated button on the controller.
  • Tycek and theGTAking101 like this

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

GTA IV has alternative driving dialogue if you fail and replay a mission. It's a shame they left this out in GTA V, especially since you are almost never alone in the car in GTA V, so you have to hear the same dialogue over and over. 

• theGTAking101 likes this

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:14 AM Edited by Claude_Lib, 22 September 2017 - 07:14 AM.

Really? GTA V does have multiple dialogs as well. Maybe not as many, but still.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

Really? GTA V does have multiple dialogs as well. Maybe not as many, but still.

I did not know this. I'm pretty sure if you fail a mission in GTA V the dialogue is exactly the same. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Most people probably just restart from the checkpoints which is probably why they didn't really bother. Although getting alternative dialogue in GTA IV is cool especially if you fail a mission you never have before just to hear it.

Yorpie
  • Yorpie

I fought the law and the law lost.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

I have hundreds off hours on both games but I defenitly prefer GTA IV over the fifth game.

The general atmosphere was so much better in IV. The city was a sprawling metropolis and you really felt like you were part of that world, I've spend hours just walking along the sidewalks, looking at the people that pass me, minding their own business and managing their virtual lives. The fifth game doesn't really have that same feeling, it really seems like everybody is just looking for a reason to either curse at you, attack you or call the cops on you for the slightest offence.

Speaking about cops, the whole wanted level system and the LCPD themselves added a lot to the game. The cops were always visible in the streets, either patrolling in their cruisers or walking the beat. And when you did get them after you, it felt a lot more 'real' so to speak. I felt like I actually got chased by an actual police force, sure they said the typical funny GTA stuff but besides that, they always felt fair. Their driving AI wasn't cheated and they were bound to the same rules as you, the shootouts were a lot more fun although I do personally use a mod for less health, which is perhaps my only flaw with it. And the search radius was also a lot better because in the fifth game, you start actually losing the cops from the moment they lose sight, so their AI does always make a fast beeline towards your position, to provide a 'challenge' before you lose them, but in fact it takes away that human aspect from the cops.

Now IV wasn't perfect either. While searching the cops would sometimes literally run right past me or after switching cars a cop car coming from the opposite direction would actually drive past as long as I keep my distance, however if you would hide in a specific spot long enough, the cops would eventually also make a beeline towards you but it would take much much longer and it made it more believable. Hell, if I saw a wanted criminal running past I'd probably also call the cops to tell them where I last saw him.

Final thing to mention about the LCPD is how I also preferred their spawning. When wanted, cop cars would actually spawn a couple of blocks away and at high wanted levels, you could see the cop cars on your map like half an island away and they still wouldn't despawn. In V, they don't do this, there are a lot less cops but instead they despawn them whenever they fall like two blocks behind and spawn new ones right in front of you, sometimes like literally barely hundred metres ahead of you, it really makes the chases a lot less fun as it's more 'try and dodge the incoming cop cars' instead of actually getting chased by them. The spawns themselves were also a lot more varied in the fourth game. V has what, the regular cruisers and then the NOOSE suvs? In IV there were two types of regular cop cars, you had the NOOSE cars and patriots, the enforcer trucks and those FIB buffalos not to mention two types of helicopters. 

The combat itself was also better in IV. I really liked the whole fist fighting system in that game, especially the countering mechanic. In V, half the time you knock them out in one punch and if you don't, I just spam the attack button, I don't think I ever used the block button, if there even is one. Firing weapons also felt a lot better, as holding the firing button ment a lot of recoil, so you had to fire in burst etc... 

The whole driving physics and damage to the cars, well I don't need to even start about this one, just get yourself in a heavy car crash in IV and then in V and you'll see what I mean. The ragdoll physics themselves also were so much better in IV. 

I think I can finish this post by saying that I'm really glad I got V for PC so I can at least mod the game up until the point I can say that it's equally as fan as the fourth game.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Tycek and 5 others like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Most people probably just restart from the checkpoints which is probably why they didn't really bother. Although getting alternative dialogue in GTA IV is cool especially if you fail a mission you never have before just to hear it.

If you fail too many times they'll say lets just be quiet or how about we listen to the radio instead.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

Iggy Pop instead of sissy rock Kenny Loggins.
  • thehambone and jaljax like this

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • New-Caledonia

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:37 AM Edited by ExTerminator, 24 September 2017 - 08:43 AM.

IV handles women characters better than V. All female character in V are stereotypical: sluts who've slept with the entire city or SJW feminists. What is wrong in creating badass mob bosses like Elizabeta or cunning secret agents like Michelle? Or even normal females like Mallorie for that matter?

IV has its own share of stereotypical characters too, like Alex Chilton, for example, but she is at least likeable, unlike any of V's satires.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Tycek and 4 others like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

IV handles women characters better than V. All female character in V are stereotypical: sluts who've slept with the entire city or SJW feminists. What is wrong in creating badass mob bosses like Elizabeta or cunning secret agents like Michelle? Or even normal females like Mallorie for that matter?

IV has its own share of stereotypical characters too, like Alex Chilton, for example, but she is at least likeable, unlike any of V's satires.

Alex Chilton is likeable? Hell, her ugly face makes you want to shoot it :p

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

That's actually a really good point. The oversexualisation of women present in video games in overbearing at this point. It was refreshing to get female characters like Mallorie and even Kate to try and break the mould.

Sadly GTA V slipped back into similar territory many games do in this regard. I hope we get to see strong, female characters again that don't need to flash their tits or implied village bicycles that everyone's ridden.
  • anthony, theGTAking101, Niobium and 3 others like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

The whole game is better then V IMO

Also Gta IV had a lot more friendly community then Gta V
  • anthony, Niobium, Good Hombre and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

Remember those phone calls we'd get during awkward moments? Like when Roman wants to shoot pool during Shadow, LJ wants to eat whilst we're transporting Manny and Jay to the black market doctor during Have A Heart? etc.

I miss those in GTA V.
  • simonp92, anthony, Misunderstood and 1 other like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Grand Theft Auto V: A huge improvement over snore (IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

Ped reaction was better in IV

I mean whenever I fight with someone in V, nearby ped would just run away like an idiot, take a photo, or call the cops. In IV, ped watch us fighting, or assist us or enemy

When I push someone in IV, they would say ''be careful" and walk away. Yet in V, they just run away like an idiot. This also same for hitting ped with car

And finally, when I fire a gun in IV, they will run away, duck, or take cover. Yet in V they simply run away

• anthony, Misunderstood and EtherTakeover like this

Melted_INC
  • Melted_INC

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

the game world felt more alive and i enjoyed the virtual tourism just cruising around taking in the grimy city 

police chases felt fun and natural in GTA V you die way to damn easy its frustrating also GTA IV had much more interesting characters overall

• anthony likes this

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

I think IV handles the friends and girlfriends better than V does. I feel no inclination to hang out with friends or complete a booty call on V whereas I do on IV. This is for three reasons:

1. Friends can instigate an activity on IV. They call you up and say things like "let's go bowling!" and they send you texts hinting that you should call them up and do an activity together (or take them on a date in the girlfriends cases). In V, you have to call them to do that and sometimes I feel like I could do with a phone call from a friend suggesting we hang out or a text from a booty call suggesting it's time to hook up to prompt me into doing that. Don't get me wrong, I do find it a bit overbearing and annoying in IV that you can be constantly getting the calls and texts which can sometimes make doing a friend activity or a date feel more like a chore than anything else but I do think that is better than leaving it entirely in your court as V does. I can see why they moved in that direction but for me they took it from one extreme to another when they should have maybe been looking to find the middle ground

2. IV gives you rewards for spending time with your friends and going on dates whereas V doesn't. It makes it feel worthwhile knowing you can get access to guns or backup by making a friend like you enough or a health bonus and help with wanted levels for successfully dating a girlfriend. V's lack of perks is disappointing.

3. This just relates to the girlfriends and not the friends but I love that Niko actually has conversations with his girlfriends which make the journeys to and from locations interesting. With the exception of Ursula and Liz the first time you meet them, V offers nothing on that front. Instead you get the same few lines from your booty call (and a little extra after a few times) and the same few responses from Franklin, Michael or Trevor who clearly aren't listening.

• Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

I think GTA4 beats  5 in most things, ive now got to the point where i dont play V anymore, i just play GTA4 and have fun, i always end up laughing at something ive done or a peds reaction to my character  like last night i stole a car the girl said " i need to get to college " Nikko says "im taking this car" then the boyfriend driving says "motherf*cker" as i push him out, you could almost imagine this in real life.

I also went drinking with Little Jacob and got  pissed, we staggered up the street with Little Jacob walking backwards, stole a car and had the police chase us, Little Jacob says in a pissed voice "hello Babylon"  i was laughing, little things like this draw you back to the game. Ive been playing it since release date and i still find stuff ive not noticed before.

• Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, anthony and 3 others like this

anthony
  • anthony

Everyone in Liberty sells their soul to the devil.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

^
This

Literally make me want to launch GTA 4 right f*cking now.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Niobium, 4 weeks ago.

IV fans are more intelligent and have bigger brains while V fans are filthy casuals who are dumb and have small brains

the only reason IV fans are in the minority is because the majority of people in the world are dumb

1488576614448.png
  • Algonquin Assassin, gunziness, anthony and 4 others like this

HigorSM
  • HigorSM

Crackhead

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by HigorSM, 4 weeks ago.

IV fans are more intelligent and have bigger brains while V fans are filthy casuals who are dumb and have small brains

the only reason IV fans are in the minority is because the majority of people in the world are dumb

True, and you also have to have a very high IQ to understand GTA IV story

Spoiler
  • Algonquin Assassin, anthony, theGTAking101 and 4 others like this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by anthony, 4 weeks ago.

The GTA 5 fanboys who always try to sh*t on GTA 4 (and even other open world) one way or another while praising GTA 5 using unvalid opinion and fact, and don't even respond to your argument.

This is the proof for what Niobium said.
  • theGTAking101, Niobium, StormBreaker and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

tribeca10f-4-web.jpg

Your average GTA IV fan.

hqdefault.jpg

Your average GTA V fan.

/epicelitstismandsuperioritycomplex.

:p
  • anthony, theGTAking101, Niobium and 7 others like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Grand Theft Auto V: A huge improvement over snore (IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by CGFforLife, 4 weeks ago.

NO! Butthurt Snore fanboys are all hipsters, and both are cancer to the society
hipster2.jpg
And beside some people call butthurt snore fanboy a hipster lmao

1xxj3e.jpg

Come at me lol

EtherTakeover
  • EtherTakeover

Crackhead

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by EtherTakeover, 4 weeks ago.

NO! Butthurt Snore fanboys are all hipsters, and both are cancer to the society
hipster2.jpg
And beside some people call butthurt snore fanboy a hipster lmao

1xxj3e.jpg

Come at me lol

and you call us cancer to society

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony, Niobium and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

NO! Butthurt Snore fanboys are all hipsters, and both are cancer to the societyhipster2.jpg
And beside some people call butthurt snore fanboy a hipster lmao1xxj3e.jpg
Come at me lol

I don’t even know how I can sleep at night now because LxnzelCurry is such an expert to be listened to.
  • gunziness, anthony and Femme Fatale like this

T-ru
  • T-ru

kamikadze

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 4 weeks ago

All of you here are sick. I just read this topic and I'm llllooolllll. :lol:

I play IV since 2008, completed the game and dls many times but it's fatuously to say IV is better than V or V is better than IV, both of the games are GREAT!

But to be honest V is a bit better than IV, like IV is a bit better than SA, SA is bit better than III...etc

IV is more deep than V.

IV is like a book, V is like a magazine.

IV is like a underground meaningful hip hop song, V is like a today commercial hip hop.

...etc

But in V there is a more FUN, this's a game not a movie, book or song and should be motion, should be beautiful, realistic, optimized, varied, varied vehicles, varied peds, bigger map...etc and V owns this things much more than IV!!!

• StormBreaker and CGFforLife like this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by anthony, 4 weeks ago.

But in V there is a more FUN, this's a game not a movie, book or song and should be motion, should be beautiful, realistic, optimized, varied, varied vehicles, varied peds, bigger map...etc and V owns this things much more than IV!!!

GTA 5 is fun = opinions not fact
GTA 5 is beautiful = GTA 4: 2008 first R* release on oldgen
GTA 5 is realistic = rofl
varied peds = rofl
bigger map = Just Cause 2 is better than GTA 4 and RDR because it has a bigger map.

Few lines before;

it's fatuously to say IV is better than V or V is better than IV, both of the games are GREAT!

Right.
  • B Dawg, theGTAking101, Niobium and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users