Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

5,108 replies to this topic
TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Playa

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:18 PM Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger, 10 August 2017 - 04:36 PM.

Speaking of Michael did anybody else expect him to take a more serious approach instead of goofing/brushing stuff off most of the time. He thought everything was a joke IMO. As others have stated in the debut trailer he does have a certain resemblance about him that made us think that we were gonna play as a badass bank robber with a few last scores left in him. But instead we got a forgettable Hollywood (err, I mean a Vinewood movie).

Seriously, Michael should have taken a more serious approach at times and he wouldn't have been so washed up.

Oh, and that's Michael shooting Trevor in the Richman Hotel if anybody wanted to mess around and imagine things different. ;)

"Look at me! Look at me!" Achievement Unlocked - 100G - GG R*
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, SchizNitz and 6 others like this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

That's the GTA V I wanted to see. A serious crime story about trying to make money in an economic down turn by pulling off a series of audacious heists. No Trevor, No FIB bullsh*t, no stupid f*cking gimmicks.

This. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

Man that first trailer... Seemed like it was going to top every previous Gta ever made to become the ultimate gta. A gta where rockstar took the good and bad of every single game they were making the game of the century.. Well they KIND of did, sales wise but that impression that first trailer made almost 6 years ago, won't be forgotten.

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:42 AM Edited by KonradGM, 11 August 2017 - 12:57 AM.

i just feel Rockstar got bored of GTA5 and it became a game that is missing something?

It's missing a great and memorable story, likeable characters, engaging side missions, proper physics and so on. It isn't just something. It's a whole lot of somethings. :p

eeeh physics are questionable, can't really say any r* game had perfect physics, there are aspecst of IV physics that i like over other games but there are aspects of V physics i like over IV, IV was way to wobbly, but V characters collapse too fast way to easy, both games didn't had that good enemy interaction for gun wounds when it comes to being shoot in the legs sadly, that thing comes to RDR, now those physics were something else.

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:54 AM Edited by StormBreaker, 11 August 2017 - 02:55 AM.

I still cry over how promising the game looked in the trailer. I'm talking about V, not IV
  • Algonquin Assassin, Plank., B Dawg and 2 others like this

ReadyerrNot
  • ReadyerrNot

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

A months ago, I posted that V had better music... I recant my statement. IV's music really captures the feel of the different boroughs in LC/NYC.

The Vibe ftw
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Gokuzbu and 3 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:09 AM

A months ago, I posted that V had better music... I recant my statement. IV's music really captures the feel of the different boroughs in LC/NYC.

The Vibe ftw

To be honest the music in GTA V is one of the few things it gets right (for the most part). Still nothing beats LRR, The Vibe and Fusion.

• theGTAking101 likes this

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:34 AM

Just recently I started playing GTA V on my PS3 again ... I'm at 45% or so ... I must say objectively it's the better GTA compared to IV for sure.

But it does a lot of things worse ... for unknown reasons to me ... like the melee combat is a joke, the peds are not as diverse and lifelike as in IV, the cops are 'dumb' compared to IV's, the story is bad (but I think that's due to the 3 character experiment), barely any interiors! and more.

But - at least from my side - it's safe to say that I would not want to go back to a IV game, compared to V again > what do I mean by that exactly you may ask?!

I mean that I would not want to go back to a GTA game that does not feature eg. bicycles, planes, character customization, vehicle customization, a countryside (V's map layout was a joke though and showed that one city is really not enough for a map this big!), a parachute!, all sorts of water vehicles (jetski!), yeah even a proper beach section, ... all which IV lacked more or less.

I remember when I played GTA IV back in 2008 - coming from San Andreas - that was surprisely no big issue for me. Being very limited in all this stuff. But now going back to IV after having played V it's a completely different story. The graphical leap from IV to V is also significant, especially since it's on the same console after all.

The playsessions with V lately somehow encouraged me to buy GTA V for PS4. I would have never thought I'd pick this game up twice, but I'll do it.

GTA 6 should be the dense, exciting, deep, emotional and immersive experience that IV was.

GTA 6 should also be the fun, adrenalin, all sorts of crazy stuff-experience that V is.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

Just recently I started playing GTA V on my PS3 again ... I'm at 45% or so ... I must say objectively it's the better GTA compared to IV for sure.
But it does a lot of things worse ... for unknown reasons to me ... like the melee combat is a joke, the peds are not as diverse and lifelike as in IV, the cops are 'dumb' compared to IV's, the story is bad (but I think that's due to the 3 character experiment), barely any interiors! and more.
But - at least from my side - it's safe to say that I would not want to go back to a IV game, compared to V again > what do I mean by that exactly you may ask?!
I mean that I would not want to go back to a GTA game that does not feature eg. bicycles, planes, character customization, vehicle customization, a countryside (V's map layout was a joke though and showed that one city is really not enough for a map this big!), a parachute!, all sorts of water vehicles (jetski!), yeah even a proper beach section, ... all which IV lacked more or less.
I remember when I played GTA IV back in 2008 - coming from San Andreas - that was surprisely no big issue for me. Being very limited in all this stuff. But now going back to IV after having played V it's a completely different story. The graphical leap from IV to V is also significant, especially since it's on the same console after all.
The playsessions with V lately somehow encouraged me to buy GTA V for PS4. I would have never thought I'd pick this game up twice, but I'll do it.
GTA 6 should be the dense, exciting, deep, emotional and immersive experience that IV was.
GTA 6 should also be the fun, adrenalin, all sorts of crazy stuff-experience that V is.

I can understand how GTA IV not having planes, much customisation etc would be a turn off if someone's used to having these options, but those things you mentioned GTA IV does better are what keeps me coming back to it.

GTA V's graphics are a big leap definitely, but I don't play games for graphics.

fashion
  • fashion

is math related to science?

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

- IV had the perfect mix between realism and fun in cop shootouts. In V, you rarely can escape the cops on foot and will most likely get shot.

- Better story.

- Funny TV stations, internet sites and talk shows. V had some silly parodies.

- LC atmosphere > LS atmosphere.

- No microtransactions.
  • B Dawg, theGTAking101, Darealbandicoot and 2 others like this

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Copy paste mode activated!

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

- IV had the perfect mix between realism and fun in cop shootouts. In V, you rarely can escape the cops on foot and will most likely get shot.

- Better story.

- Funny TV stations, internet sites and talk shows. V had some silly parodies.

- LC atmosphere > LS atmosphere.

- No microtransactions.

Exactly my thoughts

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

- No microtransactions.

This.

fashion
  • fashion

is math related to science?

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

The email system. They're there to push the story foward, can be both very funny and sad and the occasional spammail is funny to read. You can also date everyone on lovemeet and receive some pretty hillarious answers.

In V, there's no difference between SMS and email, both are boring to read, have zero interactivity and there's zero reason to have both email and sms. Both could be served under one mobile section.
  • Tycek, Neon_Dreaming and EtherTakeover like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

The email system. They're there to push the story foward, can be both very funny and sad and the occasional spammail is funny to read. You can also date everyone on lovemeet and receive some pretty hillarious answers.
In V, there's no difference between SMS and email, both are boring to read, have zero interactivity and there's zero reason to have both email and sms. Both could be served under one mobile section.

I also like having the option to respond positively or negatively. Some of the sh*t Niko says to Roman and Brucie cracks me up.:lol:
  • StormBreaker and EtherTakeover like this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

I also like having the option to respond positively or negatively. Some of the sh*t Niko says to Roman and Brucie cracks me up.:lol:

I love that one reply back to Brucie.

"You need help"
  • Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, gunziness and 1 other like this

ahmeeed321
  • ahmeeed321

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Egypt

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:41 PM Edited by ahmeeed321, 05 September 2017 - 05:47 PM.

GTA IV is masterpiece and better than GTA V in many things for it's time. Like the atmosphere, storyline, car physics, ragdoll, combat system, parkour and climbing, mods, more realistic crash models, more interiours, details like picking up props and throwing it, features like receiving phone calls from friends to hang out with, more minigames(bowling, 8ball, darts, air hockey, golf), more realistic weapon sounds, better soundtrack, Friendship. And Finally you can go bowling with Roman

Don't get me wrong IK GTA V is still better than GTA IV in more things, But not to mention that GTA IV was released in 2008 while GTA V was released in 2013. What I mean is GTA IV aged better than GTA V

This video will explain everything https://youtu.be/GWVtZJo-HqI This video was very depressing for me especially at the end. It shows how underrated is GTA IV. I Love the dark vibe in GTA IV it made me feel like a true criminal. Almost everything is realistic in this game. GTA IV=real life, GTA V=hollywood movie

Also GTA IV has single player dlcs while GTA V doesn't. I really miss the old days when Rockstar focused on single player mode. But nowadays Rockstar is greedy as hell all they want is money from shark cards. GTA IV was the last Rockstar game that was focused on the story. Rip gta series 1997-2008). I bet you that the same bullsh*t that happened in GTA V will happen again in Red dead redemption 2

I can still remember the good old days I spent on playing gta iv online. Do you remember how simple and fun it was. But nowadays in gta v rockstar killed the fun and made everything with money even the cars you have to buy them although the game title is grand theft auto which means stealing cars. Also there is no online mode that allows you to mess with the the game. You can't for example have fun going on a rampage, because the game actively punishes you, both for setting you to be aggressive and also monetarily. Everything costs money. Weapons are locked behind a ranking system plus a cost, so when you are new and try to get into online, you will probably get killed by people that already have those unlocked with no recourse. Armored vehicles that cannot be destroyed without explosives will be the bane of your existance.

Also the online community for this game is a total bullsh*t ;it's full of 12 year old yelling kids, hackers, trollers

Sorry for my terrible English

GTA IV for life

• EtherTakeover likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:04 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 05 September 2017 - 07:52 PM.

There used to be a thread called "Things GTA IV did better than GTA V", but it is unaccessible right now for some reason. There was also a "Things GTA V did better than GTA IV" thread that is also unaccessible, but it didn't have half of the size of IV's thread.

E: Nevermind, ~Tiger~ saved the thread...

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:31 PM Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger, 05 September 2017 - 06:32 PM.

There used to be a thread called "Things GTA IV did better than GTA V", but it is unaccessible right now for some reason. There was also a "Things GTA V did better than GTA IV" thread that is also unaccessible, but it didn't have half of the size of IV's thread.

http://gtaforums.com...entry1069710005

You are right. It's giving me an error.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

http://gtaforums.com...entry1069710005

You are right. It's giving me an error.

The topic has now been restored, we think it may have been binned accidently.

GTA IV is masterpiece and better than GTA V in many things

I've merged the new topic into the original  :^:

• DOUGL4S1 and TheOriginalGunslinger like this

Trooper Fera
  • Trooper Fera

Are you late to the abortion clinic?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

Finally, this returns!

56 reasons why IV is better than V. 

1: Police that actually patrol and arrest NPCs

2: Boats actually had a use, not just circling one island

3: NPC diversity. 

For example: If a cop has pulled over an NPC for speeding, one cop might say "You're driving a little too fast", meanwhile, another cop might say "You late to the abortion clinic?" That scenario was completely absent in V. 

4: Random events that were not scripted. If you want to help a cop pursue a suspect, well, you can only do that twice in V. If you did that in V outside of those scripted events, enjoy being executed by the LSPD. Meanwhile in IV, you may encounter a cop pursuing an NPC. You could trip up said NPC, and the cop would thank you for it. 

5: Island restrictions. Minor thing, but it made the map feel much bigger. 

6: No teabagging or calling anything a "Noobtube"

7: Actually funny commentary. 

8: Multiple States. Sure, V did that, but NY was completely unused. 

9: Multiplayer that was actually fun, and was an add on in comparison to the whole game. 

10: Firefighters with proper PPE. If the firefighters in V attempted to fight fires IRL like they currently do (No helmets, sometimes No SCBA, and no jackets at other times), they WILL die. Simple as that. Meanwhile in IV, they have the full getup, sadly, they don't fight fires though. 

11: sh*tty parts of town. V felt too clean, however, there are some areas in IV that I stay away from at night. 

12: NOOSE actually having common sense and not hanging off the side of kamikaze SUVs. 

13: Much more police stations. Just a little thing, but there is a lot of areas in V that lacked them. 

14: Every section of the map was utilized, no stupid mountains. 

15: Everyone doesn't have a sudden urge to kill you. 

16: Vehicles don't feel like bricks. 

17: No rolling vehicles over. Even SR didn't do that. 

18: No military. Personally, I don't like it. Especially the level that it exists in V. 

19: FIB were just another law enforcement agency. 

20: Cars (Ex: Sultan RS, Cognoscenti, Annihilator, Tug) that you could steal, rather than be forced to buy in the stupid online mode.

21: Rarity of supercars. I've only seen an NPC driven Infernus twice. 

22: Euphoria

23: Better fighting mechanics

24: Crouching

25: Heavy traffic on certain roads

26: Garbage trucks drive around with workers riding them and at night.

27: Speed actually feels like speed

28: Airport is far more fun, V's was too large. 

29: Riding the subway. Sure, you can ride the tram in V, but the NPC's on the platform usually try to prevent that. 

30: Traffic AI isn't completely incompetent. 

31: Law Enforcement Jurisdictions. LCPD mean nothing in Alderney, and vice versa. However in V, LSPD can spawn anywhere. 

32: Plumbers Skyway

33: Strangers and Freaks that aren't completely dumb. I must admit, Eddie Low is absolutely terrifying. 

34: Far more normal vehicles and beaters. Most didn't carry over to V. 

35: Prison that actually played a role in the storyline, rather than being an overly hyped piece of scenery. 

36: Shooting up your safehouse. In fact, safehouses are great to have standoffs. 

37: More interiors. Some of them are quite fun

38: Decent representation of NYC. Much more accurate than V's LA.  

39: 90% of the content didn't feel like it was made just for promotional screenshots. 

40: Paramedics that actually do their job, and can heal you too. 

41: Rooftops actually had a use

42: Far easier to climb

43: No microtransactions. 

44: No return of 3d era characters. 

45: Internet that was far more fun to explore. 

46: One protagonist per episode. 

47: No mission about deleting porn viruses. 

48: No stupid therapy sessions. 

49: No reuniting the family. That was dumb. 

50: No yoga, tennis, golf, or any of the 9000 throwaway side activities. 

51: Cops can't see through walls. 

52: No first person mode

53: No kill censoring

54: Guns that don't sound like toys

55: No "Special Editions" for preordering with exclusive in game content

56: Actually having time and effort put into it, and not just to make money. 

• B Dawg, Tycek, gunziness and 13 others like this

Rockstargames32490
  • Rockstargames32490

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

One thing I liked better in GTa 4 was you could lose the cops a hell of a lot quicker and easier. Gta 5 takes like a minute and a half or something to get rid of your stars, in 4, u could lose them in like 30 seconds
  • Ertan Soner likes this

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

I love how in GTA IV when you land a vehicle, you actually hear the suspension creaking instead of something that sounds like a bucket with bolts and nuts banging inside in GTA V.
  • StormBreaker likes this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:56 PM Edited by gunziness, 07 September 2017 - 06:57 PM.

bucket with bolts and nuts banging inside 

Lol, couldnt have said it better. Bikes has also a similar sound too, its even worse there.

On topic:
Also, the natural reaction of the vehicle when you go over a bump, and not teleporting right on top of it like in V.

• anthony likes this

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Copy paste mode activated!

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:36 PM Edited by Ertan Soner, 07 September 2017 - 08:38 PM.

One thing I liked better in GTa 4 was you could lose the cops a hell of a lot quicker and easier. Gta 5 takes like a minute and a half or something to get rid of your stars, in 4, u could lose them in like 30 seconds

This this this!! One of the things that are most annoying in 5! They should work again wanted level system in gta 6.

On topic>No special abilities, no aliens and no other bulls**t like that...You are not a superhero and can die. In 5 it is too easy to die too but special abilities helps you and this make the game unrealistic.

• StormBreaker likes this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:50 PM Edited by ViceBoy69, 08 September 2017 - 12:51 PM.

To me its all about the feeling of being there, when i play the BOGT i can relate to the characters and whats happening, like the mission "Chinese Takeout" you really feel you are stuck in that place the voices of the mobsters calling from the distance " im going to kill you"  Tony nearly wetting himself  as you battle to get out.

The relationship between Louis and Tony, Tony is well acted and a pain in the ass, you can hear Louis frustration with him but he cares for him as a boss and friend, some of the cutscenes are really funny, its just really well done.

The same goes for Nikkos relationship with Roman, he cares about him but he drives him mad, the early cut scene in Romans apartment where Nikko trys to explain his life to Roman and Roman falls asleep " Roman are you sleeping you fat f*ck ?" this always makes me laugh, there is a real sense of a connection between the 2.

I cant get that feeling from GTA5 i dont really like the characters, pedestrian and car reactions are all wrong. feels like we went back to the earlier games, im not into that, if graphics move forward the realism should be there too with GTA5 its not its too cartoony and a bit of a joke.

I think Rockstar made a classic game with GTA4 and apart from graphics and thats only slightly they havent surpassed it, GTA5 leaves me a bit flat and cold.

• Tycek, gunziness, Gokuzbu and 1 other like this

Marius.Petran
  • Marius.Petran

Crackhead

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

Gta IV was last and serious gta title and it was make for storyline,mostly for SP experience,but gta v....well gta v i didn't like to much when i saw second trailer,and see those ugly and poorly pshyics compared to gta iv,also SP experience in V is kinda rushed and not memorable,like in gta iv,where you feel niko emotions,i myself i feel very sad at the end of the story in gta iv.

the other advantages of IV is the EFLC DLC,another good DLC that worth the money,despsite now gta iv mp is almost dead,i never forget playing with some buddy's Coops'n'Crooks,the best mode ever in gta history.

So to keep it simple,gta iv was  made with passion,and players shouldnt forget that game,after they done it,depsite optimization,for me its still the best gta,GTA V unfortunately i almost forget most part of his story,i wasn't surprised too much,except the grapchics,online was also meh,but now is even worse,to me gta v was a mediocre game,and gta iv a masterpiece.

Sorry for my english,its not my native language so expect some mistakes.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

i never forget playing with some buddy's Coops'n'Crooks,the best mode ever in gta history.

I don't know, Cops 'n Crooks is overrated, if not bad actually.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

the free roam dialogue is better. in IV if you point a gun at someone they will say something that actually makes sense, like "yeah it's a gun!" in GTA V, they will throw some generic insult like "you define everything that's wrong with this place"

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

If you point a gun at someone in GTA5 every pedestrian within a 5 mile radius runs away screaming, only time in GTA4 you get peds running away as a pack is if you are carrying the rocket launcher, the tramp ped with the pan on his head makes me laugh " Thats one big pipe cleaner !!!"

• anthony likes this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Even though the classic "Mission Passed!" didn't appear on screen in IV it was still nice to hear the little music jingle that played when passing missions (some were different too).

In V, you get the "Mission Passed!" appearing on screen with one of the most annoying jingles (if you'd even call it that). It sounds like someone taking a hammer and getting one good whack on steel really quick.
  • theGTAking101 and Niobium like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users