Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

4,700 replies to this topic
TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The American Dream

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 4 days ago

One major thing that IV has over V for me, is that fact that it's map has another city with Alderney. Ok, it don't have countryside to separate the city like V does, but it still has another city to explore, which is a great thing for free roaming gameplay. Just having that feeling of being in a different city is enough to widen the appeal of free roam gameplay - IV gives you this feeling, even though it's map is not exactly huge.

I agree with you, not to mention that even if Los Santos is more or less the same size as IV's Liberty City and Alderney, it still felt even more bigger than V's Los Santos. The Broker-Dukes area felt like its big enough on its own to be rivaled to other open world games. LC may not be as big as you felt, but it definitely has that feeling of a sprawling metropolis that Los Santos lacks.

• blowtorchrepair and Official General like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

'Straya Mate

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 days ago

One other thing I thought that IV done better was that it made the open world feel rotten, and falling apart. I know that Liberty City is supposed to be different to Los Santos in that one is a giant, gloomy, concrete mess while the other is the complete opposite with its beautiful sunsets and beaches, but I prefer the "old" vibe that Liberty City gives off.

Some people might think "well, GamingPro, why does this matter?". Because it fits in with the story, Niko was probably expecting some like LS when he got to America, but he was greeted with this crime ridden sh*thole instead.
  • Jabalous, blowtorchrepair, Diamond Dogs and 1 other like this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The American Dream

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Diamond Dogs, 3 days ago.

I liked the Random Encounters over the Strangers and Freaks from GTA V. The Random Encounters made much more sense and more thought were put into them. I loved how some of the characters in these encounters were people you have encountered through the story like Hossan and Mel. Also it wasn't just crazy, and mentally unstable people that you encounter. Some of them are just people trying and struggling to live their everyday life, and by chance stumbling into Niko's path. For Niko it reflects his journey in Liberty City, while for the trio in V, it didn't connect with how it reflected them. The S&F characters, I mean all of them are very one dimensional, and they are all just reflected by how fake, crazy, creepy and disillusioned they are. Nigel, and Mrs Thornhill, Beverly, Barry, Josh Bernstein, etc. are just prime examples of cardboard cutouts and tropes of stereptypical Southern Californian people, they are just there to provide comic relief just to be funny, and the sad truth is they aren't really funny at all, just annoying. On the other hand the characters in IV's Random Encounters felt like genuine human beings who cross paths with Niko, and him helping them in the process. These characters have development, they feel, they react, and they understand the hardships of living in a huge place like Liberty City. It's not just a city of sunshine and rainbows, and it absolutely compliments the feeling of Niko's struggle, and intolerance of living the American way of life.

Also the fact that the Random Encounters don't show on the Map, and only can be spotted on the mini map while walking or driving around the city also shows that IV's sense of isolation is a lot better than V's world is. V's world is more open, and larger than IV, but the feeling of getting lost I got from IV is completely gone in V, despite in IV where you can see the entire map from the start, and V's map will start to show more once you discover them. V just felt shallow as a whole, and that potential of a even more living, and breathing world in this beautiful place is completely wasted. 

I forgot to mention that the Marnie Allen random encounters show the more humanizing moments in the entire game, if not the entire series as a whole. These small encounters with this young girl with dreams came to Liberty City shows why GTA IV's attention to detail and character development is better than GTA V's. Niko also showed a different side too. Other than helping criminals and mob bosses with their dirty work, Niko shows compassion and sympathy towards Marnie. Helping her, and giving her money to see her family again. GTA V did not have these small, yet brilliant moments that made the world even more real. 

Concerning GTA V, the saddest part about Marnie's story is that she turned herself to the Epsilon Program and became worse than she was when Niko first met her. She wasn't some homeless drug addict anymore, and she now has money to take care of herself, but her humanity is now lost due to the temptation of the Epsilon Program. I wonder how Niko would react if he found out about her being brainwashed into the cult.

• Jabalous, B Dawg, Tycek and 2 others like this

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

The density of LC made for a much better setting for a game, IMO.  I still can get off to exploring and finding buildings which aren't familiar from past game play.  I"ve even parachuted into balconies of some apartment buildings in order to get a view of the city in hopes that someday we'd be able to buy apartents (and be able to access balconies, unlike every apartment in LS).  

The vertical aspect of LC and gloominess just made a better setting for such a game.  IV was my first GTA game to really play, so some of this may be nostalgia.  I recall, when completing the game and seeing the credits roll, having a feeling of a small era of my life ending, knowing that replaying the game again would never be like the first time.  The game, the characters, and the fun I had with my mate in freemode online blew my mind. 8+ years ago.  

Plus, in freemode the density of the city allowed a better ground game than does LS, I think.  In LS there's crazy armored vehicles, tanks, and such but in LC, especially in Algonquin, the foot game and ability to survive on the run, alley to alley, and have a chance against other players that were in vehicles seemed much better than in V.  The freemode format, having respawning weapons everywhere and not having to buy them were much better for a game as well.

I LUV LC 

• Jabalous, B Dawg and TheGamingPr025 like this

NikoB.IV
  • NikoB.IV

PlayBoy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

1.best story of all gta games

2.you have to brake when turning into a corner

3.better melee physics

4.best protagonist and funniest protagonist in all gta games(niko)

wrote
  • wrote

We did it! GTA IV 2017

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

Being made.
  • aleex96 likes this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 3 days ago

i want some action, a nice coop or a race -> V

i want to go home -> IV

V will equal IV when -> they release a Miami/Everglades/Florida based map -> they create a system so non-PvP players can roam the map without being annoyed by kids. then, and only then, V (or next gen GTA) will have a chance to equal IV

EM_JAY_86
  • EM_JAY_86

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 days ago

IV introduced us to the different crime groups operating in the city as well as the over all demographics along the way. V poorly represented the layout of the criminal groups and barely touched on them in missions. V should have had an entire plot line based around the mexican gang and cartel influence in LS (and Madrazo's lame excuse for a cartel kingpin doesn't count!)
  • blowtorchrepair and yeahmantiptap like this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 days ago

not sure that if you lived in ciudad Juarez city you'd ask for Mexican drug cartel that way. V was more built around heists. and Trevor put beside, the result is not that bad. Mafias of all kind are really s... organizations. the lesser we have, the better i feel. i lived in Colombia in the 80s and i know the damage and the harm drug cartels can do to a population. believe me this is not something funny, not funny at all

Payne
  • Payne

Bite the barrel and pull the f*cking trigger.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Unknown

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Payne, 2 days ago.

Shotguns - I shot a cop who was running towards me and he flipped over the hood of my Vigero and was laying wounded on the ground. I never seen someone flip like that in V, they just tumble down and flop like cement.

The animation for flying through the windshield is better in IV. Its too f*cking fast in V its like they just got launched out of a f*cking jet.

The thunder sounds more realistic in V but in IV it has a more powerful boom to it, sounds atmospheric. Perfect for a sh*thole like LC, I like the flash it makes as soon as it starts to rain. Streets have a gloomy reflection and lights look better.

Better car handling, muscle cars have a bouncy feel, plus they can take a lot of damage. Unlike V if you hold the gas and brake the front wheels will lock up and you can powerslide for a while, you cant do this in V, its completely impossible.

Weapons have recoil, I like to use the basic weapon reticle, I dont like having a huge circle on the screen and it makes using an AK/M4 even better, gives you a reason to stop moving and time your shots, or fire in bursts.

Better rpg, the one in V feels like the old 3d era style where they fire like toys, maybe its just me but i prefer being able to knock down helicopters and seeing the smoke from the rocket spin, sometimes they'll shoot it and it'll fly back towards Niko lmao. Never seen that in V.

Motion blur, I dont think V has it, never bothered to even check. Speeding on a bike or in a car feels like your flying on the road, makes you feel like you can f*ck up and crash if you make one mistake.

Blueish tint at night, sometimes it will be clear but I like the blueish look as well, feels like the weather is capturing Niko's mood.

Tire smoke looks awesome, there's something cool about peeling off in a Sabre GT(unlike V this one has a turbo installed) and seeing the car shift its weight as you speed away from cops.

Niko will actually grab onto a f*cking ledge, its stupid trying to climb sh*t in V only to see them smack their f*cking head into a wall and die. And Niko has a better falling animation, he tries to land on his feet rather than instantly falling back first, jump out of a helicopter in V and they instantly shift their weight and fall on their back, you can actually toss Niko out a heli and see him get launched 100 feet.

Industrial vehicles like the packer or yankee have weight and you can smash vehicles and keep on going until the engine either shuts off or catches fire. Cant do this in V, and if you somehow manage to do it it'll be rare.

Daytime is too short in V, might just be me but it feels like the time cyc is all f*cked up. Its better in IV.

You can change the "Sniper Aim" in the controls menu, choose between left stick or right stick. Aim sensitivity is leveled perfectly. I think V tried to make it like MP3 but they failed at it. Changing the sound output makes certain weapons sounds heavier/lighter. Cars have a better sound. Switch it from "Stereo" to "Surround Side/Rear" and it'll change gun sounds. Makes the AK sound lighter for me, you can hear more of an echo when firing it on the street.

Edit: Cars have a better metallic look when its raining.
  • MiamiViceCity, Tycek, Official General and 5 others like this

yeahmantiptap
  • yeahmantiptap

Enforcer

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago Edited by yeahmantiptap, 2 days ago.

Also the peds who can cross the roads almost anywhere, sneaks through cars when there is some heavy traffic and not only walk on the pedestrian passage acting like some retarded robots, who the f*ck made the animations?

-Peds reactions when you hit their cars is amazing; they will comes out looking at you saying something, sometimes they will look at where their cars were hit, some can even try to pick a fight with you; in GTA 5 they don't do anything, they just drive away.

Spoiler

They have these reactions between them too, I just love how the word and it's AI move, live and interact with each others while Niko is just sitting there watching...

-The blood splatter and raindrop on the screen.

• Payne likes this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The American Dream

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 2 days ago

The Internet is better in GTA IV, than in GTA V. I found GTA IV's internet more interactive, and way more developed than V's. IV had several different news sites (Weazel, PLO, Liberty Tree) that report on several events that happen during the game. Also various little details like hidden sites, Alex's blog, Eddie Low's profile at blogsnobs, and the LCPD Database. Also even though phones are more common placement these days when surfing the net, I find the internet cafe's more immersive than just surfing on the fly. I do wish that we can at least purchase cars on AutoEroticar though. Make the in game economy more useful.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 2 days ago

Story and characters of course imo...

Well some things are really step backs I don't understand why rockstar changed it to a worse system...
1. Melee Combat.
2. Functions of certain guns.
The glock had high capacity and the desert eagle less but was stronger.
In gta v many weapons just become obsolete.
The ap pistol dominates all pistols and smgs. It's ridiculous.
The mp5 in gta v isn't shootable from a car....pathetic.
3. Jumping and climbing.
In gta 4 you can hang onto edges and climb along them.
4. Burgers, hotdogs, nuts...
5. Friendship reward system.
6. Minigames. I actually like bowling darts pool, ...

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A day ago Edited by jpm1, A day ago.

when i play V i really have the feeling the priority was to make sells. when i play IV i really have the feeling the devs tried to do something really new, and that all efforts were put into making a great game. i don't know how to sum up, but IV has a sort of freedom perfume, i mean in the game development. in V we have the feeling the devs were a bit rushed to complete marketing objectives. i don't know if it's because of the weeding with Take 2, i hope it's not. with IV we have the feeling the devs tried to make a game, with V we have the feeling the devs made a marketing product

• MiamiViceCity, Tycek, aleex96 and 1 other like this

yeahmantiptap
  • yeahmantiptap

Enforcer

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago Edited by yeahmantiptap, A day ago.

Crazy how this is different now, right? Didn't see that one coming lmao. It can't be the same people, the same devs, no way.

• aleex96 likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Capitalism is a dirty business

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 9 hours ago

There's more emotion and passion in this 4 minute tribute video than GTA V's entire sh*tty story with cardboard characters no one cares about.

• jpm1, Claude_Lib, Official General and 5 others like this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The American Dream

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 6 hours ago Edited by Diamond Dogs, 6 hours ago.

There's more emotion and passion in this 4 minute tribute video than GTA V's entire sh*tty story with cardboard characters no one cares about.

I honestly can't believe that the same writers who wrote GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and Max Payne 3 wrote GTA V's awful story along with its rushed, and convoluted pacing, awful one-dimensional characters, and it disrespecting characters that were established in GTA IV. It's like Dan Houser was on crack or whatever he was smoking during writing. 

Also that video was amazing, it made me shed a tear while watching it. My heartstrings were pulled in the part near end when Niko is talking to Ilyena about hope, and the part where Niko executes all the people he has encountered through out his journey to redemption while in Liberty City. It reflects on his development, and what was he achieving during his time in LC. One of the best GTA IV tributes I have seen so far. (Pun intended!) 

• MiamiViceCity and yeahmantiptap like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Capitalism is a dirty business

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted An hour ago

It inspired me so much I put it in my profile.:)

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted An hour ago Edited by Official General, An hour ago.

not sure that if you lived in ciudad Juarez city you'd ask for Mexican drug cartel that way. V was more built around heists. and Trevor put beside, the result is not that bad. Mafias of all kind are really s... organizations. the lesser we have, the better i feel. i lived in Colombia in the 80s and i know the damage and the harm drug cartels can do to a population. believe me this is not something funny, not funny at all

No disrespect to your feelings, buts that nothing to do with us, and it's irrelevant. All real life crime is bad, we know that, but GTA is a medium for fantasist gamers like ourselves to immerse and imagine ourselves in a world where we play the role of criminals within organized crime. It's entertainment, not an endorsement or condoning of any kind of real life crime.

If you hold such strong opinions on depicting organized crime in video games, you shouldn't even be playing GTA in the first place, you should be playing games like The Sims. You're contradiction yourself and not making any kind of logical sense having such opinions, but yet still playing GTA.

• yeahmantiptap likes this

aleex96
  • aleex96

Peon

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 50 minutes ago

Characters are the really difference between IV and V. In IV you can feel their life, they become a part of you, they become alive. In V you can forget them with no problem.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 14 minutes ago

Right now I'm playing gta 4.
It's beautiful.
I never complained about the phone calls...I'm the one whi calls Roman to go Bowling!
Gta v is good for what it is in its ways, but gta 4 stands out in character writing.
So many people could be a gta protagonist...packie, gerry (prison break!), Dwayne,...
even Johnny Klebitz....I'm talking about Johnny in gta 4. Not that whack job frim TLAD.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users