Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

4,259 replies to this topic
Payne
  • Payne

Time move forward, nothing changes.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

The Snow Storm is one of the hardest missions on this game, it's not due to 8174801 people trying to shoot you at the exit of the hospital, but because of the sh*tty and laggy mouse control and cover camera.

Agreed. I failed that mission 5 times before I managed to run past all the police that shot at me, went to the speed boat and took off.

Without that GTA Series walkthrough of that part, I would've been stuck.
That mission was easy. Especially with a micro SMG.

AztecaEh
  • AztecaEh

The Civilian Mascot

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

to not be offtopic-ish , more reasons to keep you alive :p

-More serious and better imo storyline . ( other opinions are welcome ;) )

-Varied Cars , they actually handle different than each others .

-NB YO yo NB :lol:

-Heli controls are easy to handle also

-Fun after the storyline , Endless fun . YELLLOW CAAARR !! xD

-Better comet :D

-Mods

Leave some Yellow opinions and reasons below :D

• theGTAking101, Kampret and Payne like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:13 AM Edited by B Dawg, 18 August 2014 - 10:13 AM.

By the way guys, I was reading about GTA IV on Wikipedia these days, and I found this:

The goal for Liberty City was to have no dead spots or irrelevant spaces, such as the wide open deserts in San Andreas.

http://en.wikipedia...._IV#Development

...Wonder what the hell went wrong with their gameplan for GTA V??????????

Aaaaaaa! That's why IV has no countryside at all! Damn u Dumbstar Games. You've lost your mind.

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

It's really evident they put so much into Niko's backstory and his personality. He is, to date, the best written, bravest and most loyal character to date.

There were decisions to make and executions to witness.

Far superior weapon sounds. You heard the Combat Shotgun? The highly accurate assault rifle sounds? Or the 93R, Striker, sawn-off sounds from TLAD? Weapon choices were amazing, too.

It's just that #newfags are 14-16 and their first GTA is V, that's sad because they missed out on a great Singleplayer experience with fun hangouts and a fun map with endless variety in pedestrians to see. They were probably 8 or 10 years old during IV.

The two mexican model figures who are used as the cab driver NPC, appear ALL AROUND the city, their voices and same boring taunts.

There are two female characters, in a variety of clothing, appearing everywhere too. C* really didn't put any effort in the pedestrian department.

IV has drastically different peds in their suburbs with a massive dialog. Italians in lower Manhattan, or up North - poor neighborhood with the black/hispanic community, Asians in Chinatown, Russians in Hove Beach, and high-society Algonquin ladies & gentlemen in Algonquin.
  • B Dawg, DrAnomalous, PhilosophicalZebra and 5 others like this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:22 AM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 19 August 2014 - 04:43 PM.

It's just that #newfags are 14-16 and their first GTA is V, that's sad because they missed out on a great Singleplayer experience with fun hangouts and a fun map with endless variety in pedestrians to see. They were probably 8 or 10 years old during IV.

I was 8 when IV came out and I share your opinions. You shouldn't generalize.  :p

• theGTAking101 likes this

AztecaEh
  • AztecaEh

The Civilian Mascot

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

Err i was 9 when IV Came out too ;) , still didnt finish the storyline on PS3 due to lost disc :lol: , atleast i completed it on PC

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

That sarcastic asshole you all have grown to love.

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

Roman

• Mr. Jago likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:32 AM Edited by B Dawg, 19 August 2014 - 10:32 AM.

It's really evident they put so much into Niko's backstory and his personality. He is, to date, the best written, bravest and most loyal character to date.

Most loyal? Oh no, Johnny takes that title, or we can agree that they are equal on that :p

• Kampret likes this

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

That sarcastic asshole you all have grown to love.

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

Most loyal? Oh no, Johnny takes that title, or we can agree that they are equal on that :p

Niko isn't loyal. He's like Claude - he works for whoever pays him more. He whacked Faustin, Playboy and so on.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

I was 9 when IV came out and I share your opinions. You shouldn't generalize.  :p

Just though of another reason why IV was better - I was younger (not 9 bit at least still in my twenties) and had more time to play it. There's such a large gap between GTAs your life can move on quite a bit.

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Niko isn't loyal. He's like Claude - he works for whoever pays him more. He whacked Faustin, Playboy and so on.

I'm neutral on Faustin, he more or less worked for him and Dimitry.

As for X, he knew he was a slimeball the very moment he met him. He wasn't actually an 'employee' of X and neither was X his 'employer'. Not a friend, too, so loyalty here is irrelevant. Dwayne was a friend, so if you took 'that' route (avoiding spoilers, just in case) then you can call that disloyal.

He works for whoever pays, sure, but at the end he always reaches a point where he decides that person is no good and has to go.

What do you make of him rescuing Roman from the warehouse anyway? That is loyalty. All the money taken and trouble given by Roman? It's not just blood bond, from what I saw (and felt in the dialog)
  • Mr. Jago and Kampret like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Speaking about how Niko cares about money mostly, i somehow agree and disagree at the same time. Sure he wants to make some serious cash (which you have nothing to spend on btw) "i`ll do it if it pays good" but name just 1 GTA protag who wasn`t somebody`s errand boy for the 90% of the storyline.

They all were but with an exception that Niko cares about people who are close to him, he isn`t backstabber, he has great personality which amazes me if i think that guy puted Ex-Yugoslavian war behind him. It`s just a game story i know but i live in this parts of the world so i know what kind of maniacs this brutal war have produced. Even civilians turned into complete psychos let alone war veterans.

So it amazes me that Niko remained human with heart after all that. I guess no meds, amphetamines and killing during the war can`t take away your heart if you truely have it.

GTA IV story is so deep that you got to love it. If you don`t like IV`s story than you`re probably just some shallow gamer who cares about shooting only, skips every cutscenes and looking out for cheats lol..

You need to watch the cutscenes, you need to replay the storyline for atleast few times before you can completely understand Niko`s background and then you`ll love it.

Just today i`ve bought myself GTA ELC which i havent play yet. I`ve started with TLAD and it feeled so empty without Niko altough it`s quite a good game. I was so happy when i`ve met him again in that mission for Elizabeta.

Niko is a character you can`t forget so easily.

R* can give us this great huge map, tons of sportcars, submersibles, planes and whatever in GTA V but that all doesn`t mean much too me because i`m stucked with 3 boring protags without any interesting story to tell..

• Kampret likes this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Damn, now I felt bad for skipping some cutscenes.

• MrVance likes this

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

Phone calls are just as important too. The voiceovers really did a great job on the entire game!
  • Mr. Jago, theGTAking101, Kampret and 1 other like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

Phone calls are just as important too. The voiceovers really did a great job on the entire game!

Exactly. And the text mesages tells you alot too. Unfortunately i need to play it on my 25 year old TV in my holiday cabin while i`m on a vacation so resolution of text is so low that i can`t possible read them, except if i go 1 inch near tv lol.

I can`t wait to get back home and play it on my HDTV again so i can read all the text mesages.

Anyway it`s much more interesting if you are conected with game`s plot otherwise it seems everything so shalow.

• Kampret and LanaDelRey888 like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:08 PM Edited by B Dawg, 21 August 2014 - 07:15 PM.

Exactly. And the text mesages tells you alot too. Unfortunately i need to play it on my 25 year old TV in my holiday cabin while i`m on a vacation so resolution of text is so low that i can`t possible read them, except if i go 1 inch near tv lol.

I can`t wait to get back home and play it on my HDTV again so i can read all the text mesages.

Anyway it`s much more interesting if you are conected with game`s plot otherwise it seems everything so shalow.

There's an option on the phone to choose between small and big text.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

I know, i`ve tried that but there isn`t realy much diference, the text is still too small to read. Well HD era is made for HDTV not for 25 old box lol.

But no probs, i`ll be back on my usual TV next week when i`ll do my 9.th GTA IV playtrough.

Man i can`t believe how i have grown love for IV`s car handling in the past 2 weeks of constant playing. I just love it, it`s actualy more fun than in V.

But i still don`t like bikes though, except in TLAD because of increased handling and less prone to falling off when bump something.

• Kampret likes this

Ruben2205
  • Ruben2205

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

90. The entire police system

91. The AI

92. The city is not a ghost town

93. Waay more detail

• Payne likes this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

I'm with MrVance here, as much as I love the car handling, I dislike the bike handling, it felt like you fell a lot easier.

• MrVance and Payne like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

This action will have consequences

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

I don't know if this is a big deal, but the brightness/contrast options. In GTA V, all you have is the ability to change the brightness higher or lower. In GTA IV, you can change the brightness, contrast, and the saturation.

Rockstar, why did you guys downgrade? Why?

• theGTAking101 and Kampret like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Because all things were downgraded to fill the needs of sunday players, who don't care about an options.

• Greasepalms, theGTAking101, josephene123 and 3 others like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Because all things were downgraded to fill the needs of sunday players, who don't care about an options.

That`s a good one lol "sunday players", and you`re right.

So i guess the definition of a "sunday player" would be someone whos first question when they get the game is "what are the cheats?" and "can you pick up the hookers like you did in the old games?"  :blink:

Well the brightness, contrast and saturation if you customize them good, can bring your IV experience to high level even today. With a combination of some huge screen HDTV of course and not some holiday cabin- museum box lol.

I`ve noticed that many of people have complained about how IV looks too black and white or that it lacks colours. I`d say it reflects realism, it is bright and sunny today and black  at night, just like in real life. In real life nights aren`t so full of colours are they? So i aplaude that, i mean it looked kind of warming in the old GTA era when nights were colourfull just like in some cartoon but to hell with that because that isn`t realistic.

And GTA IV is so far the closest to realism as GTA can gets.

• Kampret and Payne like this

DonMichaelCorleone
  • DonMichaelCorleone

GTA SA>GTA 4>GTA V End of discussion.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

gta 4 had More interiors.more activities,more realism.

• TheOtherRyan likes this

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, absolutely - cars' handling were great. Highly enjoyable and made you feel like you were actually controlling a car and not a go-kart. The only flaw was that the cars lacked top speed (for the speed demons), but then again where in NYC can you actually go that fast?

The motorcycles had terrible traction and weird handling, though, I'll give you that.

You can drive the entire map without crashing against NPC traffic because the AI were way better, and their turn signals were really bright. They always used them on every turn.

You're lucky if you can travel a mile without crashing into idiot AI traffic in GTAV, they :

1) Rarely use turn signals.
2) The signals are small and dim when turned on.
3) Sometimes they drive zigzag for whatever reason.

They even flip you off when you near-miss them.

I'm bored and sick to death of the Mexican cabbie NPCs (x2 model figures) being 90% of the motorists in LS. If I had a dollar for every time I heard them say 'f*ck me in the ass!', I'll probably have $2.147 billion, the maximum.
  • theGTAking101, josephene123 and Kampret like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

@Above:

The only place where the AI are pure idiots is the Algonquin Bridge (the one with the subway in the middle).

• theGTAking101 and LightningLord like this

Papi Chulo
  • Papi Chulo

Honeys & Money

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:51 PM Edited by Papi Chulo, 23 August 2014 - 02:52 PM.

I know, i`ve tried that but there isn`t realy much diference, the text is still too small to read. Well HD era is made for HDTV not for 25 old box lol.

But no probs, i`ll be back on my usual TV next week when i`ll do my 9.th GTA IV playtrough.

Man i can`t believe how i have grown love for IV`s car handling in the past 2 weeks of constant playing. I just love it, it`s actualy more fun than in V.

But i still don`t like bikes though, except in TLAD because of increased handling and less prone to falling off when bump something.

GTA IV looks better on SDTV. No jaggies.

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

@Above: Are you sure? I've played IV on SDTV's before, and it looked like a pile of dog sh*t. Jaggies everywhere.

Papi Chulo
  • Papi Chulo

Honeys & Money

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:51 PM Edited by Papi Chulo, 23 August 2014 - 06:56 PM.

@Above: Are you sure? I've played IV on SDTV's before, and it looked like a pile of dog sh*t. Jaggies everywhere.

It's your sh*tty  '15 tv .I've played IV+TBOGT on HUGE crt display no jaggies, smooth edges .

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

I can't think of anything. V is just a better game all round BUT that's just my opinion

TJGM
  • TJGM

Politically incorrect.

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:31 PM Edited by TJGM, 23 August 2014 - 07:32 PM.

I hope you realise that just because you keep stating that it's your 'opinion', doesn't make you any better that you come to the IV SECTION just to diss the f*ckin' game.

If you think V is a better game, fine. But keep you and your opinion to the V SECTION.

• TheOtherRyan, theGTAking101, Kampret and 2 others like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users