Photo

Reasons GTA IV is better than GTA V

1,091 replies to this topic
HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Then perhaps we shall start a revolution of our own

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 2 days ago Edited by HaythamKenway, 2 days ago.

Words

Alright, Rockstar obviously did some work on V. I never said they didn't. But did they do enough? Honestly, can you compare the package to likes of Master Chief Collection? Compared to that, NG V really is just a cheap port. My point is that people just bought what they already paid for a year ago with some sprinkles on top, they didn't get any new real story content (no, peyote and more collectibles are not a story content), no substantial new gameplay features (substantial in my book - gang wars, Import/Export, vigilante - things people have been asking for since the game came out).

Are GRAFIX and FPS mode enough to justify a 60 dollar price tag?

Words

I didn't praise TLoU. I just said that Sony's reasoning for porting it to PS4 at least makes some sense. I have to admit that microtransaction and DLC-wise, V could have ended up much worse and Rockstar is now more or less in the same spot as Valve. They are doing it, but it isn't as offensive as when EA or Ubisoft do it. And I don't play Online, so I don't even come across microtransactions at all.

NG V may be Rockstar's original vision for the game, but vast majority all of the game's flaws and shortcomings (pretty much all that are not tech-related) are still present in the game. NG V was an opportunity for them to "fix" the game, EfLC-style and put some real meat on the port. We know they could have done it. Volition is re-releasing SR IV with a free expansion, so couldn't Rockstar do something similar? NG V might be one of the better remasters, but there are also other developers who offer much more consumer value with their ports.

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Soldier

• Members

Posted 2 days ago Edited by MichiganMuscle77, 2 days ago.

Words

Alright, Rockstar obviously did some work on V. I never said they didn't. But did they do enough? Honestly, can you compare the package to likes of Master Chief Collection? Compared to that, NG V really is just a cheap port. My point is that people just bought what they already paid for a year ago with some sprinkles on top, they didn't get any new real story content (no, peyote and more collectibles are not a story content), no substantial new gameplay features (substantial in my book - gang wars, Import/Export, vigilante - things people have been asking for since the game came out).

Are GRAFIX and FPS mode enough to justify a 60 dollar price tag?

Words

I didn't praise TLoU. I just said that Sony's reasoning for porting it to PS4 at least makes some sense. I have to admit that microtransaction and DLC-wise, V could have ended up much worse and Rockstar is now more or less in the same spot as Valve. They are doing it, but it isn't as offensive as when EA or Ubisoft do it. And I don't play Online, so I don't even come across microtransactions at all.

NG V may be Rockstar's original vision for the game, but vast majority all of the game's flaws and shortcomings (pretty much all that are not tech-related) are still present in the game. NG V was an opportunity for them to "fix" the game, EfLC-style and put some real meat on the port. We know they could have done it. Volition is re-releasing SR IV with a free expansion, so couldn't Rockstar do something similar? NG V might be one of the better remasters, but there are also other developers who offer much more consumer value with their ports.
I upgraded from PS3 to PS4 and I am satisfied with what I got.

Whereas developers like Volition just pack in existing content into a single bundle and increase the fidelity of the graphics artificially (up scaling), Rockstar added new animals, side quests, vehicles, revamped the lighting effects, revamped the textures, revamped the particle effects, revamped the damage effects, revamped the car handling, revamped the physics, added a whole new camera mode with its own set of animations and control options that are incredibly customizable compared to pretty much any console game in existence, new music, TV shows, clothing, character creator for online, etc.

Sounds to me like Rockstar put WAY more work into upgrading V for new gen than Volition did with SR. Again, other than bundling DLC expansions for SR, (which were not previously free) and up scaling the resolution, what did Volition add?

And Rockstar has yet to charge for V DLC. Micro transactions are entirely optional, no content is reserved for those who spend real money, anyone can get any of it if they have in game cash which is pretty easy to come by if you do missions instead of wasting your time in free mode.

You show a clear lack of understanding of the game.

And I also fail to see how this is something IV does better than V, so why are we even talking about it?
  • Stoney0503 likes this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

100% BADASS.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago

So glad I decided to step back and just agree to disagree.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted A day ago

Sounds to me like Rockstar put WAY more work into upgrading V for new gen than Volition did with SR. Again, other than bundling DLC expansions for SR, (which were not previously free) and up scaling the resolution, what did Volition add?

In short, Volition created a brand new expansion on, at very least, Undead Nightmare's level. Brand new map, bunch of new weapons, superpowers and activities.

(...)

And I also fail to see how this is something IV does better than V, so why are we even talking about it?

Well, I'm happy for you. I suppose we're just looking for different things from a new release. I never asked for an FPS mode, I think the game already looks great as it is and I would much rather have more story and vigilante missions. And this isn't some stupid V hate thing. If they released a similar IV remaster, I wouldn't buy that either.

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A day ago

. If they released a similar IV remaster, I wouldn't buy that either.

Pretty sure everyone else will lol.

• lol232 and representa like this

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Soldier

• Members

Posted A day ago Edited by MichiganMuscle77, A day ago.

In short, Volition created a brand new expansion on, at very least, Undead Nightmare's level. Brand new map, bunch of new weapons, superpowers and activities.

(...)

Well, I'm happy for you. I suppose we're just looking for different things from a new release. I never asked for an FPS mode, I think the game already looks great as it is and I would much rather have more story and vigilante missions. And this isn't some stupid V hate thing. If they released a similar IV remaster, I wouldn't buy that either.

...but you bought Saints Row IV, which uses the exact same map and everything from Saints Row III, just made to look differently?

Wait, wait wait... you're saying that you defend a game series that created a SEQUEL using the IDENTICAL map, merely adding on what could essentially be considered a mod, and packaging it as an entirely new game?

You're telling me, that what Volition did with SR4, taking the old map and merely adding super hero animations and some intentionally glitchy looking effects, is better than Rockstar upgrading V in ever facet to release on a new generation console?

Get the f*ck outta here.

I'm not saying SR4 is bad, of course, I'm just saying, you can't seriously be telling me that using the existing game and adding new features then selling it as a SEQUEL is somehow acceptable, but completely rebuilding your game from the ground up for the next generation of consoles and selling it as the same game, but with upgraded visuals and some new features is bad.

You're clearly biased if that's what you think.

• lol232 likes this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

The one who knocks.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A day ago Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 23 hours ago.

I decided to give V another chance, and today I played The Ballad of Rocco. Aside from the fact that making Rocco the target was a bit strange (I mean, it could've easily been a new character) the forced bashing of "millenials" is ridiculous. Not to say the whole game isn't plagued by it (it is), but this mission got on my nerves. In the opening cutscene after Rocco is beating Solomon he says "Michael, go get those millennial asswipes!". Then when Michael gets in the car his first taunt is "You f*cking millenials!" The third? "Millenial pieces of sh*t!"

It's like capitalism. They just shove it down our throats.
  • The_Anti-tragedy and Officer620 like this

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Soldier

• Members

Posted A day ago Edited by MichiganMuscle77, A day ago.

I decided to give V another chance, and today I played The Ballad of Rocco. Aside from the fact that making Rocco the target was a bit strange (I mean, it could've easily been a new character) the forced bashing of "millenials" is ridiculous. Not to say the whole game isn't plagued by it (it is), but this missing got on my nerves. In the opening cutscene after Rocco is beating Solomon he says "Michael, go get those millennial asswipes!". Then when Michael gets in the car his first taunt is "You f*cking millenials!" The third? "Millenial pieces of sh*t!"

The joke has clearly flown over your head.

The joke is that people of Michaels and Solomons generation blame the downfall of society on the millennials, even while chasing them down to murder them.

The joke is on Michael and Solomon, not millennials.

You clearly never heard Franklins dialogue with that girl you can rescue from the Altruists.
  • EatingPlums likes this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

The one who knocks.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A day ago

I decided to give V another chance, and today I played The Ballad of Rocco. Aside from the fact that making Rocco the target was a bit strange (I mean, it could've easily been a new character) the forced bashing of "millenials" is ridiculous. Not to say the whole game isn't plagued by it (it is), but this missing got on my nerves. In the opening cutscene after Rocco is beating Solomon he says "Michael, go get those millennial asswipes!". Then when Michael gets in the car his first taunt is "You f*cking millenials!" The third? "Millenial pieces of sh*t!"

The joke has clearly flown over your head.
The joke is that people of Michaels and Solomons generation blame the downfall of society on the millennials, even while chasing them down to murder them.
The joke is on Michael and Solomon, not millennials.
You clearly never heard Franklins dialogue with that girl you can rescue from the Altruists.
I'm very much aware it was a joke, but like most things in V it got to the point where it was completely forced. If the joke stayed in that mission fine, but the whole game was plagued by repetitive jokes like this. Capitalism, millenials, hipsters...it didn't know when to stop.
  • Officer620 and MrDeSanta like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 22 hours ago Edited by HaythamKenway, 22 hours ago.

...but you bought Saints Row IV, which uses the exact same map and everything from Saints Row III, just made to look differently?

Wait, wait wait... you're saying that you defend a game series that created a SEQUEL using the IDENTICAL map, merely adding on what could essentially be considered a mod, and packaging it as an entirely new game?

You're telling me, that what Volition did with SR4, taking the old map and merely adding super hero animations and some intentionally glitchy looking effects, is better than Rockstar upgrading V in ever facet to release on a new generation console?

Get the f*ck outta here.

I'm not saying SR4 is bad, of course, I'm just saying, you can't seriously be telling me that using the existing game and adding new features then selling it as a SEQUEL is somehow acceptable, but completely rebuilding your game from the ground up for the next generation of consoles and selling it as the same game, but with upgraded visuals and some new features is bad.

Did you play SR IV? Because saying that was just a DLC for TT is an insult to Volition's work. There was more than enough new content for a brand new game. Also, it was a game made by a small team with a limited budget while their publisher just went under and they had to pull out something in rush, not by an international behemoth with half the world's money and all the time they could ask for at their disposal. Considering that, it's a miracle SR IV turned out as good as it did. Double standarts? Maybe, yeah. But in this case, I am not ashamed of them.

Anyway, I suppose we're both looking at things from different perspectives. For you, Rockstar tweaking, rebuilding and upgrading existing game, adding not much else and selling it again is enough. For me, it isn't. On the other hand, I am completely okay with what is technically the same game, but with a brand new story and a plethora of new and expanded features built upon existing ones, like SR IV or AC: Rogue are.

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Soldier

• Members

Posted 6 hours ago Edited by MichiganMuscle77, 6 hours ago.

Get the f*ck outta here.

Did you play SR IV? Because saying that was just a DLC for TT is an insult to Volition's work. There was more than enough new content for a brand new game. Also, it was a game made by a small team with a limited budget while their publisher just went under and they had to pull out something in rush, not by an international behemoth with half the world's money and all the time they could ask for at their disposal. Considering that, it's a miracle SR IV turned out as good as it did. Double standarts? Maybe, yeah. But in this case, I am not ashamed of them.

Anyway, I suppose we're both looking at things from different perspectives. For you, Rockstar tweaking, rebuilding and upgrading existing game, adding not much else and selling it again is enough. For me, it isn't. On the other hand, I am completely okay with what is technically the same game, but with a brand new story and a plethora of new and expanded features built upon existing ones, like SR IV or AC: Rogue are.
Seems pretty straight forward to me. All DLC for GTA V is free. Buy the game on PS4? Get all previous DLC packed in and retrofitted to the main game. Transfer from PS3? Get some exclusive cars, weapons and side missions as a thanks for buying the game again. Plus in-game money.

You're gonna get any and all future DLC for free anyway, so what is the complaint there? That it wasn't ready in time for the PS4 release?

Nobody forced us to buy the new version. It was a choice.

Also, you say it's a really cheap port - it's not, you need to play it before you come to conclusions. That's all I can tell you. You won't understand why you're wrong until you play it on PS4.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 6 hours ago Edited by lol232, 5 hours ago.

I get that impression too. I think we can all agree GTA IV is more consistent and focussed. After Niko describes his horrors of war he doesn't go eat a peyote afterwards that makes him hallucinate being a cow or relieves his frustrations going rampages with a musket or railgun.

As much as I agree I don't really get your point - It's players choice if he wants to go on rampages. Niko also can relieve his frustrations by going on rampages - like I said, it's all about the players choice.
You don't immediately have to go on rampages after a big part of the story.

They player has the option of creating more immersion himself - and that, applies to every GTA, and practically every video game.

I mean, Niko doesn't go eat a peyote afterwards but he goes on a pigeon killing spree - what's your point? You don't have to eat peyotes and you don't have to kill pigeons.

The world is yours - control it!
  • Stoney0503 likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users