Modding Car Color to Flat Color Texture

2 replies to this topic
trineth
  • trineth

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

I'm trying to mod the color of the vehicles in GTA IV to a flat color, but it's not working out right.

Working in zmodeler2, I loaded in the original car model, went to the materials editor, and placed the color I created as the only texture layer.

ZxgMGav.png

Then, I replaced the model in the game files using OpenIV, while importing the color into the texture file.

tRrgFKv.png

However, in-game the colors don't appear flat anymore:

5mfQZ7L.jpg

I think the car colors that are naturally there are interfering with the result I want.  I want to edit the car model such that all other colors, and maybe even material properties (ie the specularity on the glass), don't change the color of the car; only that one diffuse color should show.  Does anyone know exactly what's going on, and how to work around it?  Would I need to switch to a different program than zmodeler2?

Thanks for your help!

monster875.
  • monster875.

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

u trying to get a matte coler? in that case, u're simply f*cking up the model by making all the shaders have a wrong texture setup. what u have to do is edit the specular texture to a black one and play with the reflections in the materials

trineth
  • trineth

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:25 AM Edited by trineth, 30 June 2014 - 03:53 AM.

Hm, okay.  I'll go play around with that and see what happens then.  Thanks for the advice.

Edit:  Thanks! After playing around with the models, I needed to do two things to get a completely matte shading.  One was to remove the specularity, as you mentioned.  And then, to get a solid (one) shade of color, all I needed to do was remove the  [CLR:#] text in the material name; the game was naturally painting the car a color based on carcols.dat, which was altering the end result. Removing that bit of text makes the game not assign any colors to the car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users