Quantcast

» «
Photo

How much bandwidth used by GTA online for 1 hour of playing?

32 replies to this topic
tomsk222
  • tomsk222

Uncle T

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

Use this to monitor your bandwidth, once the PC version comes out you'll be able to see around how much bandwidth GTA Online uses.

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

R*, y u do dis to us PC gamers? ;_;

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:49 PM Edited by Kevin3014, 17 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

I've got a 4mbps connection (usually I get 5-6mbps). And an upload speed of 1mbps. Since I'm from India, my ping is usually high most of the time. 

About 100MB goes per hour whenever I play. 

Angelus031
  • Angelus031

I like turtles

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

The ping will depend on your distance from the server and your Internet speed.

Distance is not that important anymore because most main lines are fiber-optic anyway, don't get me wrong it is still a "issue", but how many hops are there is a bigger issue. More hops the longer it takes for packets to travel.
Well, congratulations then you must live in a very nice place. Here most of the internet connections are Cable and those that say they are fiber aren't really or have a lot of issues (also expensive), so distance it's still the major problem, because worldwide the majority will have worst then fiber with low Internet speeds. In my times of online gaming there were usually many players from Brazil and they told me connections over 2MB were hard and expensive to get, so even being closer to the US servers their connection was insane. So the speed also pays a big roll. Reason why games usually have servers closer to the main continents, for example people from France and Italy play in European servers, while people from Brazil, US or Mexico play in American servers and so on.
Now if V will be only in USA, imagine how it will be when millions of people across the globe from outside US try to connect and send/ receive information at the same time. Other then the DLC's initial downloads the game won't send any assets, reason why all of them are already in the HDD, the only sent/ received information is like the coordinates of actions and objects placement that are then synced and resent to every player so everyone have the same information... so if the information sent takes longer then the information others receive, that causes "lag"... while people are still seeing you behind a car, you sent information to the server saying you're inside the car and speeding away ... then other will be shooting you while you're no longer there.
Backbones are still mostly optic-fiber. And basically you just confirmed about more hops = higher ping :)
And I don't know why are you explaining all this to me or is this to everyone? And if you can't see on your left, I'm from Slovenia.

That being said, Slovenia is, especially considering it's size and resources, a remarkably well developed country. I honestly expect most European countries to be behind Slovenia.

Also, greetings from Croatia, Maribor is beautiful, I wish i get to visit it some time again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users