Quantcast

» «
Photo

How much bandwidth used by GTA online for 1 hour of playing?

32 replies to this topic
bst81
  • bst81

GTA V & Watch Dogs videos

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

Anyone here, are you guys know how much bandwidth used by GTA online for 1 hour of playing? Because I want to arrange my internet quota ,then how much speed needed for GTA online?
And between current gen and PC (fall) is it same in bandwidth usage?

I asked here because I think this also regarding GTA V on PC

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

Depends on people on server and rate server is running, but assume around 100MB/h for 16-32 people. 400MB/h for 64people, I doubt it will go any near or higher than that. Speed? Even mobile connection should be fine, but of course there is high ping and lagg occasionally. Home connection and 2MB/s will be enough for any game.

• bst81 likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:14 AM

This is a topic I have been interested in for many many years now. How much bandwidth do online games really use.

The short answer is: far less than you'd expect.

Most games on PC I've logged to be anywhere from 0.5-1.5KB/sec. That means in an hour you're looking at an average of 5.2MB. Yep, hardly anything.

The problem is not all games are equal and and even within a single game, there are some moments where there's very little data transfer and then there's other moments where there is absolute chaos, 16 players all on screen driving cars doing stunts and shooting weapons, and this could spike it up to who knows how high. So use 5MB as a baseline, and assume it can go a decent amount higher, but certainly no more than 10x higher.

• bst81, Kampret and AlreadyTaken like this

bst81
  • bst81

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

"Most games on PC I've logged to be anywhere from 0.5-1.5KB/sec. "
what? so very small broh. 

anyone here want to give me exact total bandwidth usage? you can check it when you play it on consoles before and after 1 hour.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

This is a topic I have been interested in for many many years now. How much bandwidth do online games really use.

Most games on PC I've logged to be anywhere from 0.5-1.5KB/sec. That means in an hour you're looking at an average of 5.2MB. Yep, hardly anything.

The problem is not all games are equal and and even within a single game, there are some moments where there's very little data transfer and then there's other moments where there is absolute chaos, 16 players all on screen driving cars doing stunts and shooting weapons, and this could spike it up to who knows how high. So use 5MB as a baseline, and assume it can go a decent amount higher, but certainly no more than 10x higher.

This is actually true, for some reason I calculated server connection...

• bst81 likes this

bst81
  • bst81

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

This is actually true, for some reason I calculated server connection...

so it's very small bandwidth usage?

for a hour of playing it's less than 50MB? and how about the ping?

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

The ping will depend on your distance from the server and your Internet speed.

• bst81 likes this

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

Distance is not that important anymore because most main lines are fiber-optic anyway, don't get me wrong it is still a "issue", but how many hops are there is a bigger issue. More hops the longer it takes for packets to travel.

• bst81 likes this

bst81
  • bst81

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

and then "good" ping for gaming?
and internet speed: down 2,5 mbps and up 1mbps. Is it enough for GTAO?

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:03 AM Edited by r34ld34l, 30 June 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Good ping for gaming is sub 45, best would be >7. But up to 75 shouldnt give you much disadvantage or advantage, depends on how you look at it. More than 100 is trouble. 300 (I'm looking at you Australia) is very bad.
2/1 is enough for gaming just make sure you don't block it with p2p, etc.

• bst81 likes this

_FRANKENSTEIN_
  • _FRANKENSTEIN_

f*ck Google Ask Me!!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:59 AM Edited by _FRANKENSTEIN_, 30 June 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Big distance= high ping= decreased down speed= up speed remains the same.
Ping should be around 40 to play games without any lag.
  • bst81 likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

The more ping also the more upload speed you need, because you'll need to catch up to the server.

• bst81 likes this

bst81
  • bst81

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Ok thanks all :)

@r34ld34l "2/1 is enough for gaming" what do you mean?

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Distance is not that important anymore because most main lines are fiber-optic anyway, don't get me wrong it is still a "issue", but how many hops are there is a bigger issue. More hops the longer it takes for packets to travel.

Well, congratulations then you must live in a very nice place. Here most of the internet connections are Cable and those that say they are fiber aren't really or have a lot of issues (also expensive), so distance it's still the major problem, because worldwide the majority will have worst then fiber with low Internet speeds. In my times of online gaming there were usually many players from Brazil and they told me connections over 2MB were hard and expensive to get, so even being closer to the US servers their connection was insane. So the speed also pays a big roll. Reason why games usually have servers closer to the main continents, for example people from France and Italy play in European servers, while people from Brazil, US or Mexico play in American servers and so on.

Now if V will be only in USA, imagine how it will be when millions of people across the globe from outside US try to connect and send/ receive information at the same time. Other then the DLC's initial downloads the game won't send any assets, reason why all of them are already in the HDD, the only sent/ received information is like the coordinates of actions and objects placement that are then synced and resent to every player so everyone have the same information... so if the information sent takes longer then the information others receive, that causes "lag"... while people are still seeing you behind a car, you sent information to the server saying you're inside the car and speeding away ... then other will be shooting you while you're no longer there.

• TBone1977 and bst81 like this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Good ping for gaming is sub 45, best would be >7. But up to 75 shouldnt give you much disadvantage or advantage, depends on how you look at it. More than 100 is trouble. 300 (I'm looking at you Australia) is very bad.

not our fault most companies don't give us our own servers. my lowest ping to WoW on a 120mb/s was 270ms :p

other than that. this. you want to aim bellow a ping of 80ms for shooters. a ping bellow 40 is considered great ping :)
  • bst81 likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:31 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 30 June 2014 - 07:36 PM.

This is true, but don't forget that if you're streaming or even use Teamspeak or Mumble that also uses up bandwidth.

A huge game like Planetside 2 will use up around (it varies like you said) 10-20 mb. A smaller (emphasis on smaller) game like GTA Online will not use much compared to huge games like EVE and Planetside 2 that usually has thousands of things going on at once. Even on the PC version with 32 players, it doesn't compared to the huge battles as seen in Planetside 2 and EVE.

Anyone here, are you guys know how much bandwidth used by GTA online for 1 hour of playing? Because I want to arrange my internet quota ,then how much speed needed for GTA online?
And between current gen and PC (fall) is it same in bandwidth usage?

I asked here because I think this also regarding GTA V on PC

I don't think you'll have much to worry about if you play a few hours a day, but it really depends on your internet since it will vary from person to person.

• bst81 likes this

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:10 PM Edited by r34ld34l, 30 June 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Well, congratulations then you must live in a very nice place. Here most of the internet connections are Cable and those that say they are fiber aren't really or have a lot of issues (also expensive), so distance it's still the major problem, because worldwide the majority will have worst then fiber with low Internet speeds. In my times of online gaming there were usually many players from Brazil and they told me connections over 2MB were hard and expensive to get, so even being closer to the US servers their connection was insane. So the speed also pays a big roll. Reason why games usually have servers closer to the main continents, for example people from France and Italy play in European servers, while people from Brazil, US or Mexico play in American servers and so on.

Now if V will be only in USA, imagine how it will be when millions of people across the globe from outside US try to connect and send/ receive information at the same time. Other then the DLC's initial downloads the game won't send any assets, reason why all of them are already in the HDD, the only sent/ received information is like the coordinates of actions and objects placement that are then synced and resent to every player so everyone have the same information... so if the information sent takes longer then the information others receive, that causes "lag"... while people are still seeing you behind a car, you sent information to the server saying you're inside the car and speeding away ... then other will be shooting you while you're no longer there.

Backbones are still mostly optic-fiber. And basically you just confirmed about more hops = higher ping :)

And I don't know why are you explaining all this to me or is this to everyone? And if you can't see on your left, I'm from Slovenia.

• bst81 likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I was just playing War Thunder last night and I noticed the bottom display bar for network data. It actually shows you the bandwidth you're using to play online. Just keep in mind that it's at least 12v12 about, plus dozens of vehicles on the ground, bases etc.

Total bandwidth? 56kb. As in 8KB per second.

Like I said, gaming bandwidth usage is extremely low. If you do any streaming of content over the net like audio or video, this is where real bandwidth usage comes from. So yes Skype/Ventrilo/other VOIP services etc, will shoot the hourly bandwidth up like crazy. But just pure gaming with no VOIP? One hour of gaming is worth less bandwidth than a single average webpage.

• bst81 likes this

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

We'll make diamonds from their asses.

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:19 PM Edited by D3ADSH0T, 02 July 2014 - 10:00 PM.

Since I'm using my android mobile phone for internet for a while, I have to keep track of my data every 10 mins. In a hour, it uses roughly 50mb.
  • bst81 likes this

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Backbones are still mostly optic-fiber. And basically you just confirmed about more hops = higher ping :)

And I don't know why are you explaining all this to me or is this to everyone? And if you can't see on your left, I'm from Slovenia.

Just explaining my point of view nothing personal. I saw your country but I don't know anyone from there so I don't know how it is and also now I consider my Country as one of the "near 3rd world countries" in economic terms, so I understand how most of the countries feel when purchasing and paying for a service.

• bst81 likes this

bst81
  • bst81

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

Since I'm using my android mobile phone for internet for a while, I have to keep track of my data every 10 mins. In a hour, it uses roughly 50mb.

50MB in a hour is small bandwidth

how many people who play with you in GTAO?

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

It's the Quenchiest!

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:27 PM Edited by Coolstream, 06 July 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Depends on people on server and rate server is running, but assume around 100MB/h for 16-32 people. 400MB/h for 64people, I doubt it will go any near or higher than that. Speed? Even mobile connection should be fine, but of course there is high ping and lagg occasionally. Home connection and 2MB/s will be enough for any game.

Edit: Eh, someone pointed it out above

• bst81 likes this

bst81
  • bst81

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Edit: Eh, someone pointed it out above

ok. thanks guys for answering my questions! :)

Hitman5
  • Hitman5

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

500 gigabytes per 30 minutes

GTAgameslover
  • GTAgameslover

Hit-64-bit

• Members
  • India

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

on xbox it took 75-100 MB/s for 1 or 2 hours game play in home connection means 2 mbps i have in my pc 600 KBps i play club penguin online 2 hours every days in 100 kbps speed so gta5 take more or less it doesn't matter just play!

• bst81 likes this

bst81
  • bst81

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

on xbox it took 75-100 MB/s for 1 or 2 hours game play in home connection means 2 mbps i have in my pc 600 KBps i play club penguin online 2 hours every days in 100 kbps speed so gta5 take more or less it doesn't matter just play!

ok many thanks to you guys. 

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Just a shout that you might expect the PC bandwidth to be about double the data usage if the traffic density is higher. We used to set it to low in CnC matches and turn peds off because it significantly reduced lag. There is unlikely to be the option to do this in V free mode however.

Still the actual amount of data consumed shouldn't be huge. The main factor driving lag for me was geographically how far apart the players were. (Eg Europe to Asia or South America slows it down).

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

I tried playing GTA:O with a mobile connection and its so deceiving. Say if you're in a race, the car ahead will look like its doing something that its not actually doing. Also the AI cars are like crabs lol Moving round corners sideways..

III974III
  • III974III

Either 100% cool or 1000% berserk

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Reading this makes me recall when I played BF3 on PC with 210-250 Ping. What an horrendous feeling it is to get killed by someone you see taking your bullets in his head only to see he killed you somehow.

V8VANTAGE
  • V8VANTAGE

Snitch

• Members

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Also, a wired connection will improve things no end. Even with the router in the next room, my online gaming used to be horrendous and the connection dropped out a lot. Use wired or buy some "Homeplugs" if your router is a way away from your PC/Console.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users