The never ending debate... Petrol VS Diesel

52 replies to this topic
SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

In my house we have always had Petrol cars, and, although i have driven diesel vehicles many times, i like petrol cars more either if they are turbocharged or aspirated. 

I personally like petrol more than diesel reasons are:

I like changing gears at 6000RPM and not 4000.

I Dislike the noise the diesel engines make... 

I dislike the vibration the car has on a diesel even though modern diesel cars vibrate less.

It's true that diesel cars fuel tank last longer but still i keep a petrol car anytime.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

I find diesel is a lot less demanding when driving in the city, because you can cruise at such low RPM. For me however, it'll always be gasoline.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Faceless, Nameless, Endless War

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Diesel if I'm spending two hours at 70 on the motorway and paying for my own fuel.
Petrol everywhere else.
  • Azazel likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

I find diesel is a lot less demanding when driving in the city, because you can cruise at such low RPM. For me however, it'll always be gasoline.

I don't know in Canada, but, in my country everybody drives diesel cars except for some people who are into cars that buy petrol. 

• visionist likes this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:56 AM Edited by TheMcSame, 26 June 2014 - 11:14 AM.

It's a somewhat pointless debate if you ask me. Both fuels are for different things and diesel cars are generally more fuel efficient (excluding readily available hybrids), generally last longer and can run further overall.

If you drive around a lot or you haul a lot of stuff then diesel is the way to go. Otherwise, petrol is better.

It's more about you needs than what is better overall. 

Obviously each fuel is better in different places.

Fuel Efficiency: Diesel hybrids

Fuel Efficiency (not including hybrids): Diesel

Life span: Diesel

Pulling power: Diesel-electric hybrid (I'm assuming this as diesel engines and electric motors have high torque to power ratios)

Pulling Power (not including hybrids):  Diesel

Power: Petrol 

Speed: Petrol (Diesel can compete but generally petrol is better)

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

Diesel lifespan, in these days of DPFs and piezoelectric injection, is lowered than petrol IMO. Turbodiesels simply aren't as long-lived as they used to be.
  • visionist likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

@TheMcSame

Some don't see it that way. A lot of people in my country would argue that a diesel car is better for everything even speed... And when you ask them, hey why do Super cars run on petrol they always say; "Hmmm but look at the Audi from Le Mans"

Diesel lifespan, in these days of DPFs and piezoelectric injection, is lowered than petrol IMO. Turbodiesels simply aren't as long-lived as they used to be.

I agree. My father-in-law was a Seat Toledo tdi from the 90's with 300,000km and still runs perfectly. 

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

I own a diesel, and I can say I prefer petrol.

This is my first diesel, but I had to get it. A large 4x4 ute, there was no way I was going to get petrol. It might be more agricultural than a petrol, but it just suits the car.

It's not as smooth and sounds terrible compared to my previous V8 petrol. Runs out of puff above 3000rpm, but the torque below 3000 is great.

Fuel efficiency is great. Also due to it's characteristics, it never encourage me to floor it like my old V8 petrol did. So that helps on consumption as well.

If I ever get a smaller car again as a daily drive (I'm sure I will), it will be petrol.

• David. likes this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

I don't know in Canada, but, in my country everybody drives diesel cars except for some people who are into cars that buy petrol. 

Canada?

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

I reckon I'd have to be driving at least 15,000 miles a year to even consider buying a diesel. I hate the noise, the lumpiness of power delivery and the low revs.

Some Honda diesels and turbodiesels make a passable noise, but in your typical every-day consumer car...petrol all the way.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

Canada?
Sorry i was doing 1000 things at the same time... I meant Norway

I reckon I'd have to be driving at least 15,000 miles a year to even consider buying a diesel. I hate the noise, the lumpiness of power delivery and the low revs.

Some Honda diesels and turbodiesels make a passable noise, but in your typical every-day consumer car...petrol all the way.

BMW diesels are quite silent but still a even thought it dosen't make any noise, it's still handles like a diesel.

Some people who are rich enough to buy a BMW 740 get the diesel version... For me, this means eating the best caviar in the world with Bimbo bread. Why do people do this? Lazzy to go to the gas station? They can afford the gas for sure so what is it?

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:10 PM Edited by epoxi, 26 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

BMW diesels are quite silent but still a even thought it dosen't make any noise, it's still handles like a diesel.

I wouldn't go that far. I thought I heard an LDV the other day, I turned around and it was actually a BMW 1-series (this is not a joke).

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

My short commute doesn't make a diesel vehicle feasible.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

My drive to and from work lasts around 10 mins, i've got a e46 330d so it costs me about a tenner a week, though i usually put about £40 a week since i take it for a proper drive on the less traffic poluted roads. Best of both worlds really, nice blend of performance and economy and despite mine being the SE and not the Sport it handles superbly.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:25 PM Edited by epoxi, 28 June 2014 - 06:26 PM.

I get 36.5mpg (30.3 mpg US) doing a round trip of 20 miles a day plus usual domestic stuff.

I spend around £17 on petrol each week.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hardly anyone drives diesel here, except for heavy duty pickups and people are VW fanboys. 

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:57 AM Edited by Killerdude8, 29 June 2014 - 10:57 AM.

I live in Northern Canada, So we don't have very many Diesels up here, Even less that are good on Gas, er, Diesel.

So, Gasoline everywhere, Unless it's a Diesel Chevette, In which case, Diesel all the way.

amcosk5299
  • amcosk5299

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

diesel, it's much more economical overall.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

The problem i find is that, many people also think that Diesel cars are also "sporty" which leads to people buying this:

VW Golf GTD

Seat Leon Cupra TDI

BMW 335d

And so on...

838692leonportugal2.jpeg

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

I hate that "rolling coal" sh*t.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, me too. There's a big Rollin' Coal scene here in the UK revolving around VW and Peugeot TDI/DTurbos. Bit of crossover with the Euro/Dub scene.

I had a play with a tuned 306 DTurbo at the weekend by coincidence. Midrange was quite impressive but f*cking slow off the line. Glad I was in front otherwise I'd have had to wash my f*cking car again.

Mind you, diesel tuning done right is pretty impressive. I drove a stage 3 A4 2.0 TDI Quattro running a Garrett hybrid with about 230whp and 450lb ft and it was bloody fast.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Mind you, diesel tuning done right is pretty impressive. I drove a stage 3 A4 2.0 TDI Quattro running a Garrett hybrid with about 230whp and 450lb ft and it was bloody fast.

That's what i don't understand... Why do people buy diesel cars for Racing?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

It wasn't for "racing" but someone's pet project. I was thinking of doing a similar conversion on nmy A4 but the maths didn't add up plus I got into bikes etc.

It was every bit as capable from a performance perspective as an S4 but cheaper to build and run. The biggest issue was the already-narrow powerband being even further reduced.

I was doing a lot of mileage at the time and he was managing 52mpg in daily use. Nearly 300 crank HP and 50mpg is impressive by any standards.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM Edited by SouthLand, 30 June 2014 - 03:36 PM.

Yes i agree. But you have to understand that in other countries in Europe, a lot of people buy diesel cars because they expect them to act like petrol ones. Some do really buy diesels because they have to cover long distances, but others that don't, buy diesel cars for "racing" and expect them to handle and act as a Petrol ones. Where i live 8/10 cars (not trucks) are diesel and if you go to a hatchback meet, more than half are going to be diesel also. 

For me, buying an Audi A3 2.0 TDi 184bhp with S line fenders and body kit with 18" rims... for racing purposes, is like buy the best Caviar in the world and eating it with Bimbo bread... It's just wrong.

• visionist likes this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:41 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 30 June 2014 - 02:41 PM.

I'm considering a diesel car after the 900 dies, because 18-20 mpg on a student budget isn't so easy where the gas costs 9.50 $ per gallon

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:00 PM Edited by Mcquiz, 30 June 2014 - 08:00 PM.

Until I am rich which is a thing that may not happen ever I prefer diesel for the efficiency. My first car with a petrol engine went 10l/100km on country roads, my current one does 5.3l/100km and that saves a lot of money.

I like changing gears at 6000RPM and not 4000.

The revs rarely go over 2500 when I'm normally driving.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Yeah if you're changing gears at 6k I'm curious as to what kind of car you drive?

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, I have a petrol car and even I hardly ever go over 4,000rpm except when overtaking. Sounds like a waste of petrol.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

When i said i like changing gears at 6000rpm i didn't mean while driving through a town/city but most likely when you go on a nice road/ track where you can do those sorts of things.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

That's what i don't understand... Why do people buy diesel cars for Racing?

More torque, Very Low maintenance, Mechanically simpler.

That and depending on where you live, Diesel is Cheaper, and Diesel engines are more efficient, Which means more time racing, less time in the pit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users