• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic
The7thOne
  • The7thOne

This action will have consequences...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

To the mods, I apologize if this is the wrong sub forum to post this. However, I felt it would fit the topic considering it's called "Debates and Discussion"

So, we all know that the arguments, troll topics, moderator diss topics, etc. have gone through the roof for the past week. The reason I created this topic is simple - why are there so many of them?

I understand that most of them are trolls, but why are there people literally threatening a moderator over a topic lock? What caused all of this "drama" to go down for the past week? Are the members getting more sensitive?

To be honest, like I said in my previous thread in the "Site Suggestions" sub forum, a delay between creating an account could temporarily stop it, but this thread also goes out to the moderators.

You guys, while most of your actions are debatable and trivial, help keep this site clean. However, we also have people that want a moderator free forum. Let's say there was a mod free forum - it would be catastrophic and a huge mess. However, there would also be more freedom in the posts.

The majority of the new members really don't know this off hand. Basically, (by the way this fits the site suggestion thread, but I'll keep it short and to the point) maybe there should be a rule page as soon as you create an account. That way, it wouldn't necessarily cut the argument topics completely, but there would be more order, and therefore, save the mods time.

Let's face it, this site gets tons of new members daily, and if there isn't a rule page upon account creation, then the forums will pretty much get worse.

I love this site to death, and it takes up about 97% of my daily routine, in a good way. With the massive amounts of topics just bashing, and ranting about the moderators, I just had to speak my mind about this.

This is a very bad issue, and unless a rule page is implemented, this forum will eventually become a flame war.

This isn't a rant on the forum itself, it's a rant about the minority of people that ruin the experience.

Thanks for reading, also I want this to be an open discussion, so we can leave the arguments out of the GTA Online section.

Xyn
  • Xyn

Wɇ Diɇ Alonɇ

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

The majority of the new members really don't know this off hand. Basically, (by the way this fits the site suggestion thread, but I'll keep it short and to the point) maybe there should be a rule page as soon as you create an account. That way, it wouldn't necessarily cut the argument topics completely, but there would be more order, and therefore, save the mods time.

Let's face it, this site gets tons of new members daily, and if there isn't a rule page upon account creation, then the forums will pretty much get worse.

There is a rule page. It's a member's job to know it and follow it....the mods are here to establish order, not hold your hand and make sure you know how to behave yourself.

• RoyalRedXIII likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

I moved this to the Site Suggestions section as it seems to fit best there.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

There is a rule page. It's a member's job to know it and follow it....the mods are here to establish order, not hold your hand and make sure you know how to behave yourself.

I understand there's a rule page, but it should be more readily accessible to the new user so they don't have to look through pages.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

I don't think it would do much at all to deter this sort of behaviour. This is like reading a statement of policy and accepting the terms and conditions and let's be honest how many of us actually read through the entire thing? I certainly don't.

Shoving a rules page infront of a new member when they create an account won't do anything. Most new members understand the basic rules, but trolls only have the intention of stirring up trouble and that's all there is to it unfortunately.

Like Xyn said it's upto the members to looks at the rules themselves. It's actually not that hard to find.
  • chrisscorsese88 likes this

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:58 AM

I don't think it would do much at all to deter this sort of behaviour. This is like reading a statement of policy and accepting the terms and conditions and let's be honest how many of us actually read through the entire thing? I certainly don't.

Shoving a rules page infront of a new member when they create an account won't do anything. Most new members understand the basic rules, but trolls only have the intention of stirring up trouble and that's all there is to it unfortunately.

Like Xyn said it's upto the members to looks at the rules themselves. It's actually not that hard to find.

It also falls under the category of 'common sense'. When I join a new forum, I look at the rules, but even without looking at the rules, I use 'common sense' to know where to post, and know what would be considered spam and what isn't. 

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

The mods seem to use opinions to their advantage.  They abuse their power by locking whatever they disagree with.

opinion.PNG

And reporting mods is useless.  They know when they get reported, and nothing will happen.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:07 AM Edited by Biohazard Abyss, 26 June 2014 - 09:08 AM.

This is a very bad issue, and unless a rule page is implemented, this forum will eventually become a flame war.

The online section is always a flame war, that's why it's notorious for being the craziest section of the forum.  Like Jolly SWAGman said, you should have been around when 9 out of 10 replies were "OP is a fag."  The online section is definitely not at its lowest point like you're speaking of it, lol.

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

The mods seem to use opinions to their advantage.  They abuse their power by locking whatever they disagree with.

opinion.PNG

And reporting mods is useless.  They know when they get reported, and nothing will happen.

They will lock topics not when they disagree with it, but when it's full of off-topic posts, spam and double posts. Instead of removing those posts, they just lock the topic.

• *MURDOC* likes this

 dice
  •  dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:01 AM Edited by dice, 26 June 2014 - 10:02 AM.

Why didn't you link the whole topic? An out of context screenshot of a post doesn't mean sh*t
  • *MURDOC*, GroundZero, Tacymist and 2 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Why didn't you link the whole topic? An out of context screenshot of a post doesn't mean sh*t

This. He's right, darkwar854, post a link to the topic.

opinion.PNG

darkwar, as much as your topics are good, why do you have to disagree with a mod? They're being a mod, if they were abusing their power, an admin would take said power away.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

You can report mods and we'll look into it, send the reports my way if you need to.

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

You can report mods and we'll look into it, send the reports my way if you need to.

Except a whole lot of false reports coming in from people who think they're abusing their powers when they're just doing their job.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Except a whole lot of false reports coming in from people who think they're abusing their powers when they're just doing their job.

I get them all the time.

• Titania and RoyalRedXIII like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I get them all the time.

But you're a moderator, are you really able to discipline other moderators?

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

I get them all the time.

Actually he's an administrator. :) There are people like Uni who are in the Mod group but have access to the Admin control panel, and those who are in the Mod group who don't have access to the Admin control panel like Kirsty.

Xyn
  • Xyn

Wɇ Diɇ Alonɇ

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

opinion.PNG

You're expecting moderators who are much older than you and have contributed to the forums to get removed just because you don't like them?

Here's a recap from the GTA Forums Rules;

Remember; you are a guest on a free service. You may make no demands and have no rights.

Moderators retain the right to remove you from the forums for any reason at any given time.

Simple as that.

BTW, Moderators earned the right to become so by being an upstanding example among the community. There's a reason they locked that topic and you're only posting what suited your needs.

• RoyalRedXIII likes this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

I get them all the time.

Actually he's an administrator. :) There are people like Uni who are in the Mod group but have access to the Admin control panel, and those who are in the Mod group who don't have access to the Admin control panel like Kirsty.

Really? My bad.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

opinion.PNG

darkwar, as much as your topics are good, why do you have to disagree with a mod? They're being a mod, if they were abusing their power, an admin would take said power away.

http://gtaforums.com...watch-dogs-map/

I disagree with them because they seem to lock whatever they please.  I was trying to make a simple comparison in that topic, but some people just come and have to argue with me.  Yet, i'm the one that is punished?  If they are the ones who start the argument in the first place, why don't they get punished?  All I do is argue my point.  I don't intend to start an argument, but when someone starts to argue with me, I have to argue my point.

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Such lock
Very Watch Dogs
Much Argue
Wow

If you don't agree with the lock: Message the mod. Simple as that. They will most likely explain the exact reason why it was locked.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

opinion.PNG

I disagree with them because they seem to lock whatever they please.  I was trying to make a simple comparison in that topic, but some people just come and have to argue with me.  Yet, i'm the one that is punished?  If they are the ones who start the argument in the first place, why don't they get punished?  All I do is argue my point.  I don't intend to start an argument, but when someone starts to argue with me, I have to argue my point.

That happened to me once. I posted a topic about what people's thoughts were on the hipster update. A flame war started, and it was locked. It made me upset not the fact it was locked, but the fact it was locked due to other people. I still disagree with the mods locking whatever they please. That's their job.

• darkwar854 likes this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

The Online section is full of V fanboys so that thread was worthy of a lock, since it wouldn't be productive at all, just people bashing Watch Dogs.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

opinion.PNG

That happened to me once. I posted a topic about what people's thoughts were on the hipster update. A flame war started, and it was locked. It made me upset not the fact it was locked, but the fact it was locked due to other people. I still disagree with the mods locking whatever they please. That's their job.

Well, locking it because of other people is BS though.  Why can't they simply ban the flame war starters from the topic?  Then everyone else can discuss in peace.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

opinion.PNG

Well, locking it because of other people is BS though.  Why can't they simply ban the flame war starters from the topic?  Then everyone else can discuss in peace.

You have a point, however I think there should be a warning to go to PM, then a ban from the topic.

• darkwar854 likes this

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

Or you know. Report before it's even starting to get worse? There's a reason why it's there. 

Even if it isn't your thread, you can still prevent it yourself.

It's not rocket science, people. 

• Matty and Andreas like this

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Or you know. Report before it's even starting to get worse? There's a reason why it's there. 

Yeah, that's what I do.  But nothing happened and it was still a flame war.

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

These things don't get locked out of thin air. If a thread gets reported, it usually gets locked. If your wondering why some threads don't get locked, I'm assuming it's cause they don't get reported.

Every single one of the nonsensical "hey guess what happened to me!" And the "DLC LEAKS right here!" threads that I report myself have been locked.

Also, keep in mind, if you wanna report a person, report the particular post they made that has broken a rule or is just out of order.
If you think the thread should be locked, report the the OP.

Btw, you CANNOT just type ANYTHING in the report box and expect it to be successful. At the end of the day, stuff gets locked if it's in violation, and it doesn't matter if "everybody else is doing it too!". If you don't want your stuff possibly locked, Follow the rules and it most likely won't happen.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

These things don't get locked out of thin air. If a thread gets reported, it usually gets locked. If your wondering why some threads don't get locked, I'm assuming it's cause they don't get reported.

Every single one of the nonsensical "hey guess what happened to me!" And the "DLC LEAKS right here!" threads that I report myself have been locked.

Also, keep in mind, if you wanna report a person, report the particular post they made that has broken a rule or is just out of order.
If you think the thread should be locked, report the the OP.

Btw, you CANNOT just type ANYTHING in the report box and expect it to be successful. At the end of the day, stuff gets locked if it's in violation, and it doesn't matter if "everybody else is doing it too!". If you don't want your stuff possibly locked, Follow the rules and it most likely won't happen.

But I seem to find things inconsistent.  I've reported some threads that don't get locked even they are trolling which is against the rules, and i've reported threads that get locked right away.  But i'm not quite sure why my topics would get reported.  They aren't trolling, or deserve to be in another topic.  It also seems to be the case that if I report someone, the mod locks my thread instead of doing anything to the other person.

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:55 PM Edited by RoyalRedXIII, 26 June 2014 - 10:56 PM.

But I seem to find things inconsistent.  I've reported some threads that don't get locked even they are trolling which is against the rules, and i've reported threads that get locked right away.  But i'm not quite sure why my topics would get reported.  They aren't trolling, or deserve to be in another topic.  It also seems to be the case that if I report someone, the mod locks my thread instead of doing anything to the other person.
Well, I'll admit there is some inconsistency in the locking, but again, I'd contribute there being some I consistency in the reporting. One that everyone likes usually doesn't get reported. Just remember that you can't see when something get reported, so you never kno just who has hit the button.

It may seem unreasonable, but everything has it's place. If you post something on the front page about "looking for a crew" it actually belongs in the "meet-up" section or whatever. However, the exception is, if everyone likes it and is cool with it being there, no one will report it. So in a sense, you are subject to the mercy of other forum members.

The golden rule is this tho: post your threads in the right place in the first place, and you have no fear of that happening. The mods only respond to reports as far as I have seen. They don't go around locking stuff arbitrarily.

The only way I can say if you are being discriminated against when you try to report something that doesn't get locked is if I see what you type in the report box. If you dont type something valid, I'm sure the mods will ignore it.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

Mods aren't going to keep bouncing in and out of a thread, warning loads of people over and over again.

If a thread gets way too messy, it gets locked, plain and simple.  It's the easiest solution.

• AlexSniperBullet and RoyalRedXIII like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users