Photo

What Is The Goal of GTAO?

112 replies to this topic
Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:26 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 24 June 2014 - 09:28 PM.

there is no real goal

but I do think the two possible goals you just mentioned are kind of conflicting

the need to grind in order to get money can really get in the way of having fun

even if you're having fun, knowing you need to replace all the money you're "wasting" kind of puts a damper on the whole thing

all the ridiculous ammo costs, insurance nonsense and other money sinks can really limit the whole "do-whatever-the-hell-you-want" mentality that to my IMO is so crucial to this series.

just think about how different the SP experience is to ONLINE, and I don't just mean all the douche-bags trying to sticky your car

• saintsrow likes this

roboticsuperman
  • roboticsuperman

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

troll players online by driving your panto into shops, nose diving the luxor into a white blip etc, then state such trolling by posting on the gtaforums. like so.

mmm chocolate
  • mmm chocolate

BLAINE COUNTY

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Rank up
Hoard money
Spend / aquire things
All Awards
All unlocks
f*ck with others
Get good at all aspects of the game

....and

Fun

MrYoungGun
  • MrYoungGun

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Surely they'll add something that will require lots of money or rank to attain. Whether its property, business(es) or, equipment, they know to keep players playing there needs to be goals for them to strive for. I can only imagine what gtao will look like in 2017, the only thing that worries me is the difference in content depending on the generation of console you play on. I've got a PS4 and will be buying V when it releases, but I'd hate to see folks that can't afford the new hardware get passed over by rockstar once they reach the limit.

nodalFlux
  • nodalFlux

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

skinner%20box.jpg

Operant conditioning as an online business model is R*'s goal

http://www.gamasutra...sign.php?page=1

• saintsrow, Zwenkwiel, Cornbat and 1 other like this

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

Why? Because cash cards...

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

The goal of GTAO is to get as many players as possible to buy cash cards. As for each player's individual goal, that's up to the individual.

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Acquire delicious tears.

There's another goal?

Gouki_22
  • Gouki_22

90s kid

• Members

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:49 AM

To be come the Drug King pin of Los Santos only to be

ran over by an ambulence you ironically were looking for

then contiue GTA : Online in different cities  other than los santos.

GrottiCollector
  • GrottiCollector

80s Tom Cruise

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Does life have a goal?

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Eat me when I'm fatter

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:23 AM

Because "wtf is a gerald" is a running gag here.
So many people skipped his missions, it's like he never existed, forgotten.

I thought it started because he always tells us not to talk about him.

http://gtaforums.com...tf-is-a-gerald/

Johan
  • Johan

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:28 AM

I guess it's about living the life in Los Santos as a criminal, the goal is never ending.. make money, buy anything to your heart's desires.

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

I guess what i've gathered from all of the responses so far is that the goal is whatever you make it. My initial curiosity with this question was that I didn't know what we all were working for. It would've been nice if R* just dropped us into Online without a storyline. THEN, it would make SO much sense to have different motives for playing the game. But the storyline thing messes me up. I spend so much time waiting for the game to progress but it never does. If GTAO is really supposed to be a MMO, then it's one with stunted growth. I'm just not getting it.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed all of your input and comments! If anyone else is continually reading this thread, please don't hesitate to reply to this thread! I'd greatly love to hear your responses and such!

blingdiablo
  • blingdiablo

Shiny Devil

• Members
  • Belize

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:35 AM

Not sure if it's already been said, didn't bother to read any posts (YOLO!) but based on the general community I'd say the purpose appears to be to see how much swag you can fit up your a$s. As much swag as say, Justin Beiber has managed to cram into his a$s. Lofty goals. #yoloswag

/sarc

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

n00b irritant

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:37 AM

Remember when the only goal for playing a video game was to have fun?

Pepperidge Farm remembers

• Cornbat and 8up local like this

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Eat me when I'm fatter

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

The goal is to max out lung capacity, find the underwater entrance to Fort Zancudo, use it to steal the jet pack, and then use the jet pack to fly into a UFO which will take you to Cris Formage. There you will experience pleasure.

I saw it officially confirmed in a source code leak on YouTube.

Jolly Swagman
  • Jolly Swagman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

The ultimate goal is to purchase all the shoes. 

The end game, or shoe mode, starts once you have successfully completed this objective 

EKGene
  • EKGene

Invite Only

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Has GTAO become a game where all we do is repeat a cycle? Here's what I thought about a few nights ago. I questioned myself "what is the goal of GTAO?" Is the goal to have fun? Is the goal to make money? Is the goal to play until your heart is content? Or is it all of the following combined?

I'm curious about what GTAO has become. There is no incentive to progressing since R* unveiled what seemed to be a story element to GTAO. What is the point of it? Does the story end with us meeting Martin and doing jobs for him? Or will it end with heists?

So far, I've noticed a viscious cycle in Online. It begins as follows:

Player is online - player needs money - player does jobs and activities to get money - player attains money - player buys things - repeat

Outside of getting money and completing jobs, there is the fun aspect. However, there's nothing beyond that. The 'story' hasn't progressed. It's almost like stunted growth after lvl 120. We have all these skills, but there isn't any real use of them (Besides the main ones - shooting, driving, flying, stamina, and occasional stealth).

When does it end? In GTA IV's multiplayer, players were just dropped into freemode. There was no goal, other than whatever you wanted to do. There was a ranking system, but it didn't make much of a difference besides a shiny gold star and a new set of clothing.

However, this online mode has no direction as of now, and I wonder... what's the goal? What are we all working for?

GTAO is just this...  kinda like life, but with respawning.

Stepping back and taking a broader view, it is merely what occupies and entertains me until I choose to divert my attention elsewhere.

• Sangers likes this

Eamonn3
  • Eamonn3

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

Maybe the goal is to get children to cry about heists on a routine basis? Then finally release it and have it not live up to the expectations of all the children who think it's the end of the world, because they haven't released heists yet.

Sangers
  • Sangers

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

Has GTAO become a game where all we do is repeat a cycle? Here's what I thought about a few nights ago. I questioned myself "what is the goal of GTAO?" Is the goal to have fun? Is the goal to make money? Is the goal to play until your heart is content? Or is it all of the following combined?

I'm curious about what GTAO has become. There is no incentive to progressing since R* unveiled what seemed to be a story element to GTAO. What is the point of it? Does the story end with us meeting Martin and doing jobs for him? Or will it end with heists?

So far, I've noticed a viscious cycle in Online. It begins as follows:

Player is online - player needs money - player does jobs and activities to get money - player attains money - player buys things - repeat

Outside of getting money and completing jobs, there is the fun aspect. However, there's nothing beyond that. The 'story' hasn't progressed. It's almost like stunted growth after lvl 120. We have all these skills, but there isn't any real use of them (Besides the main ones - shooting, driving, flying, stamina, and occasional stealth).

When does it end? In GTA IV's multiplayer, players were just dropped into freemode. There was no goal, other than whatever you wanted to do. There was a ranking system, but it didn't make much of a difference besides a shiny gold star and a new set of clothing.

However, this online mode has no direction as of now, and I wonder... what's the goal? What are we all working for?

GTAO is just this...  kinda like life, but with respawning.

Stepping back and taking a broader view, it is merely what occupies and entertains me until I choose to divert my attention elsewhere.

How good would it be if we had infinite respawing IRL ...and a mechanic who delivered your car anywhere in seconds ...and it was fixed from damages each time it was delivered.

...kids would still complain.

EKGene
  • EKGene

Invite Only

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

How good would it be if we had infinite respawing IRL ...and a mechanic who delivered your car anywhere in seconds ...and it was fixed from damages each time it was delivered.

...kids would still complain.

As long as said mechanic did not park your requested vehicle two streets away.  I mean, seriously, what is that?  What do I pay you for?

No, wait, I still haven't paid my mechanic, as I strategically end my online sessions before the full day is up, thereby eliminating my mechanic's wages and utility costs.

And, it's not that I'm cheap, it's that the mechanic makes things conveniently inconvenient by parking my requested vehicle...  enough.

I will never pay my mechanic, and that's it.

livejoker
  • livejoker

What am I still doing here?

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

I think the OP is trying to say that he/she doesn't have the "will" to keep playing GTA:O. That's what I'm getting from this as I'm currently in this dilemma. Then again, I've played GTA:O for months straight, all day so I might of played the crap out of the game. Now when I turn on my console, though, is a long loading, more loading, time-outs, dicks trying to kill me, grinding missions to get money to buy the extremely expensive stuff, being stuck in the clouds, waiting a very long minute in loading to find a deathmatch in free-aim (finally!) only to get kicked. It's really infuriating to have so little gameplay out of an hour of "gaming". Of course, when I think back on it such as GTA IV, my all-time favorite game, the online was just me in a freeroam finding a car, weapons, armor and killing anyone I could or having a blast with my friends. There wasn't anything deep to it. You could learn glitches, create your own tactics, chill, anything you could think of but still limited. GTA:O has many modes and is much deeper but the difference now is that my friends have an Xbox One or have grown tired of GTA:O. Sure, I could join a meet here but meeting people from the forum isn't the same as playing with friends. I can moan and groan all I want but truth is I love GTA:O. I keep playing it (very rarely...but still). 

I'm around level 160 and that doesn't mean I'm rich. I need to do a mission to get snacks, you feel me? I can't even afford the car wash, I instead spit on my car over and over again to clean it. If I need bullets, I venture in front of a player to fill me with enough bullets so I can take them out and put them in my gun. I missed out on the double XP & money and the new DLC has sh*tty-looking cars that cost more, in terms of year to value, than a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Extreme Real Gold Limited VIP Special Only-One-Ever-Made Edition. So yeah, I can understand OP. If you have no friends and no in-game money, it can suck. Going into freeroam lobbies isn't always fun, too, so it's hard to see why some of us should keep playing. I don't have anything positive to say such as "you can do this to have fun" but I do know that the best of GTA:O isn't out yet. We haven't experienced the full potential of GTA:O. Think of updates as keeping up with the new stuff towards the end result. While the level 100 requirement to get the Dubsta 6x6 was great, higher level-locked requirements should be made but not to the point of grinding 40 levels (which is really hard if you're a high level) just to get some gun. I don't care if it can shoot rainbows and has the voice of Obama himself screaming, "I WILL RECREATE THE WHITE HOUSE ON YOUR FACE USING MY LOVE GUN" with each shot, a gun is a gun. Maybe a really cool ability, nothing overpowered but something you KNOW that player is level 200. I feel R* have a lot on their minds for a long time now which is why they feed us those little DLC's until heists (some don't care about heists by this point further reducing the point of playing) but you gotta find what you enjoy the most, as said here quite a lot.

I've written down the missions I enjoy the most. I LOVE GTA Today which is from cheap-paying Simeon so you know the mission isn't worth it money wise but it's such a fun mission that I do it whenever I can. There's also good paying missions like Defender that I enjoy so it's not all lost. When the mood strikes me, I'll go in freeroam and chat (despite many lobbies having no one talking which can be a bummer if you're feeling chatty), find races, deathmatches and find random missions to do with other players. To find the fun of GTA:O now, I found out that you gotta do stuff you didn't do much (or at all) a month ago. You gotta keep it fresh. There's always something to do even if you feel you've done everything. :)

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

I think the OP is trying to say that he/she doesn't have the "will" to keep playing GTA:O. That's what I'm getting from this as I'm currently in this dilemma. Then again, I've played GTA:O for months straight, all day so I might of played the crap out of the game. Now when I turn on my console, though, is a long loading, more loading, time-outs, dicks trying to kill me, grinding missions to get money to buy the extremely expensive stuff, being stuck in the clouds, waiting a very long minute in loading to find a deathmatch in free-aim (finally!) only to get kicked. It's really infuriating to have so little gameplay out of an hour of "gaming". Of course, when I think back on it such as GTA IV, my all-time favorite game, the online was just me in a freeroam finding a car, weapons, armor and killing anyone I could or having a blast with my friends. There wasn't anything deep to it. You could learn glitches, create your own tactics, chill, anything you could think of but still limited. GTA:O has many modes and is much deeper but the difference now is that my friends have an Xbox One or have grown tired of GTA:O. Sure, I could join a meet here but meeting people from the forum isn't the same as playing with friends. I can moan and groan all I want but truth is I love GTA:O. I keep playing it (very rarely...but still). 

I'm around level 160 and that doesn't mean I'm rich. I need to do a mission to get snacks, you feel me? I can't even afford the car wash, I instead spit on my car over and over again to clean it. If I need bullets, I venture in front of a player to fill me with enough bullets so I can take them out and put them in my gun. I missed out on the double XP & money and the new DLC has sh*tty-looking cars that cost more, in terms of year to value, than a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Extreme Real Gold Limited VIP Special Only-One-Ever-Made Edition. So yeah, I can understand OP. If you have no friends and no in-game money, it can suck. Going into freeroam lobbies isn't always fun, too, so it's hard to see why some of us should keep playing. I don't have anything positive to say such as "you can do this to have fun" but I do know that the best of GTA:O isn't out yet. We haven't experienced the full potential of GTA:O. Think of updates as keeping up with the new stuff towards the end result. While the level 100 requirement to get the Dubsta 6x6 was great, higher level-locked requirements should be made but not to the point of grinding 40 levels (which is really hard if you're a high level) just to get some gun. I don't care if it can shoot rainbows and has the voice of Obama himself screaming, "I WILL RECREATE THE WHITE HOUSE ON YOUR FACE USING MY LOVE GUN" with each shot, a gun is a gun. Maybe a really cool ability, nothing overpowered but something you KNOW that player is level 200. I feel R* have a lot on their minds for a long time now which is why they feed us those little DLC's until heists (some don't care about heists by this point further reducing the point of playing) but you gotta find what you enjoy the most, as said here quite a lot.

I've written down the missions I enjoy the most. I LOVE GTA Today which is from cheap-paying Simeon so you know the mission isn't worth it money wise but it's such a fun mission that I do it whenever I can. There's also good paying missions like Defender that I enjoy so it's not all lost. When the mood strikes me, I'll go in freeroam and chat (despite many lobbies having no one talking which can be a bummer if you're feeling chatty), find races, deathmatches and find random missions to do with other players. To find the fun of GTA:O now, I found out that you gotta do stuff you didn't do much (or at all) a month ago. You gotta keep it fresh. There's always something to do even if you feel you've done everything. :)

Okay, because I'm not on PC, I'll have to go with the flow here and use your whole reply in my quote. Yes LiveJoker, GTAO has gotten stagnant for me in particular. The only thing that has kept me coming back to it is the hope that I can hit 1 Million Dollars by myself. I'd do missions and races until I do. I'm close. I got like, $900,000 saved up. The goal for me is to make enough money to impress myself. If heists or any real content comes out later, my attitude will be 'meh' - too late.
  • livejoker likes this

livejoker
  • livejoker

What am I still doing here?

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

-snip-

Okay, because I'm not on PC, I'll have to go with the flow here and use your whole reply in my quote. Yes LiveJoker, GTAO has gotten stagnant for me in particular. The only thing that has kept me coming back to it is the hope that I can hit 1 Million Dollars by myself. I'd do missions and races until I do. I'm close. I got like, $900,000 saved up. The goal for me is to make enough money to impress myself. If heists or any real content comes out later, my attitude will be 'meh' - too late.

That's a good plan and I've thought of doing it as well but I figured heists would at least pay double of what the missions do so I'll be waiting for those to have enough money to actually buy a car, mod it and leave it in a ditch after. R* really missed their windows and while the glitches/bugs have contributed to heists being pushed, R* are known to take their time but with GTA:O being a whole new thing to them they might be unsure of their moves. Just keep yourself busy with that million quest. Having a goal makes everything go by in a blur or at least makes them fun and worthwhile.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users