Suggestions that would improve the site

16 replies to this topic
The7thOne
  • The7thOne

This action will have consequences...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

I, and a lot of other people, love this site. While most of it are trolls, when you get down to it, the community is actually good. However, this site does have some things that would improve it.

1. The 2 Useless Tabs

These tabs on your profile; are completely pointless. Why are they there? If there's a reason you can't use them, please take them out to avoid confusion. I believe I read somewhere that they were taken out due to spam, but I don't see how adding a filter, or maybe even set to approval wouldn't solve the issue.

VMFNzRZ.png?1

2. A Filter For Comments

Now, before you call this censorship and yada yada yada, hear  me out.

We all know that a majority of the members here are trolls. They're inescapable, and though to deal with. However, by implementing this suggestion here, can eliminate them.

For example:

GxOozNC.png

Once they try to post:

"Sorry, but this comment is unacceptable and will be removed. You have been given a temporary ban of 1 hour"

You're thinking how could this possibly work? Simple.

I don't know how tricky this could be, but you could add some basic words, or sentences, etc. to a filter. If said person above uses any of the following:

You, Suck, lolz, OP, this forum sucks, Then the person won't be able to comment.

I understand there could be ways around this, so that's where I'll stop. Once again, it's something that might work.

3. My Content

It's not what it says. For example, my content isn't MY content, it's a mix of content I follow, and content I commented on, etc. It's not MY content. I really don't see how this couldn't be fixed, just a matter of making my content the person's content, and there you go.

Side note: I apologize if my spelling gets overwhelming, it is very difficult to type for this amount of time.

Things that aren't in any order, but would improve the site

Adding a duration to how many accounts can be made within a course of a week, month, etc.

I won't get into any drama, but there has been a person that keeps making accounts. I understand that you can IP ban him, but adding a limit to how many anyone can make within a specific duration would help. If otherwise, a person should be able to submit a reason to why they made another account as well. Once it's approved, the person can create the account.

I've seen this question asked many times, but why not just shut down the website when it's under maintenance? I understand you want the website accessible and all that, but when this website goes down, and people are experiencing this too, however a few people are still on, it's just begging for this to be implemented.

Why can't we paste links in and have them automatically add the BBcode? There should be an option that says "BBCode Image" Once opened, it will tell you to paste in a link that includes an image. You paste it, the BBCode button adds BBCode for you. I know that you can already add it, but it would help the new members tremendously.

That's all I have for now. I would make this list longer, but it would take me literal hours. I know that most of these are fix requests and not suggestions, but I feel it would improve the site.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Ireland
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:46 PM Edited by WildBrick142, 23 June 2014 - 08:47 PM.

1. The 2 Useless Tabs
These tabs on your profile; are completely pointless. Why are they there? If there's a reason you can't use them, please take them out to avoid confusion. I believe I read somewhere that they were taken out due to spam, but I don't see how adding a filter, or maybe even set to approval wouldn't solve the issue.
VMFNzRZ.png?1

Profile Feed is useless and I agree that it should be removed but I think someone said that it can't be removed without installing hacks into the Admin CP.

Likes show what posts you like or which posts of yours people like. I think it's useful.

Topics and Posts are the same as "Find Content". It's like a shortcut.

2. A Filter For Comments
Now, before you call this censorship and yada yada yada, hear me out.

We all know that a majority of the members here are trolls. They're inescapable, and though to deal with. However, by implementing this suggestion here, can eliminate them.

For example:

-img-
Once they try to post:
"Sorry, but this comment is unacceptable and will be removed. You have been given a temporary ban of 1 hour"

I don't know how tricky this could be, but you could add some basic words, or sentences, etc. to a filter. If said person above uses any of the following:

You, Suck, lolz, OP, this forum sucks, Then the person won't be able to comment.

I understand there could be ways around this, so that's where I'll stop. Once again, it's something that might work.

It would be hard to make it work and if this somehow would be implemented, there would definitely be glitches that can cause innocent members to get temporary banned. Just report posts like that when you see them and they will be removed.

3. My Content
It's not what it says. For example, my content isn't MY content, it's a mix of content I follow, and content I commented on, etc. It's not MY content. I really don't see how this couldn't be fixed, just a matter of making my content the person's content, and there you go.

It shows where your content is. It shows random topics because you are following them or you replied in them so your content is in these topics.

Adding a duration to how many accounts can be made within a course of a week, month, etc.

I won't get into any drama, but there has been a person that keeps making accounts. I understand that you can IP ban him, but adding a limit to how many anyone can make within a specific duration would help. If otherwise, a person should be able to submit a reason to why they made another account as well. Once it's approved, the person can create the account.

If you're talking about specific amount of accounts that this forum allows, that would be unfair for new members that try to sign up.

If you're talking about accounts coming from the same IP, Members who create a second account will be detected. Whether it's a troll, account change or PBM, they will all be detected someday. Most legit members would usually notify a moderator of a new account and ask about a ban for the old one or they would just stop using the old one. PBM's, well, they're banned so they're not allowed to return in most cases. Owning two accounts simultaneously is not allowed and can end up in both accounts to be banned.

I've seen this question asked many times, but why not just shut down the website when it's under maintenance? I understand you want the website accessible and all that, but when this website goes down, and people are experiencing this too, however a few people are still on, it's just begging for this to be implemented.

The entire network sites are shut down during a major maintenance.

Why can't we paste links in and have them automatically add the BBcode? There should be an option that says "BBCode Image" Once opened, it will tell you to paste in a link that includes an image. You paste it, the BBCode button adds BBCode for you. I know that you can already add it, but it would help the new members tremendously.

Click on this tree icon. It will open up a box where you can paste image link, click ok and it will post the image with BBCode.

axlHTzM.png

• Titania likes this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

This action will have consequences...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

1. The 2 Useless Tabs
VMFNzRZ.png?1

Profile Feed is useless and I agree that it should be removed but I think someone said that it can't be removed without installing hacks into the Admin CP.

Likes show what posts you like or which posts of yours people like. I think it's useful.

Topics and Posts are the same as "Find Content". It's like a shortcut.

2. A Filter For Comments
Now, before you call this censorship and yada yada yada, hear me out.

For example:

-img-
Once they try to post:

It would be hard to make it work and if this somehow would be implemented, there would definitely be glitches that can cause innocent members to get temporary banned. Just report posts like that when you see them and they will be removed.

3. My Content

It shows where your content is. It shows random topics because you are following them or you replied in them so your content is in these topics.

If you're talking about specific amount of accounts that this forum allows, that would be unfair for new members that try to sign up.

If you're talking about accounts coming from the same IP, Members who create a second account will be detected. Whether it's a troll, account change or PBM, they will all be detected someday. Most legit members would usually notify a moderator of a new account and ask about a ban for the old one or they would just stop using the old one. PBM's, well, they're banned so they're not allowed to return in most cases. Owning two accounts simultaneously is not allowed and can end up in both accounts to be banned.

The entire network sites are shut down during a major maintenance.

Click on this tree icon. It will open up a box where you can paste image link, click ok and it will post the image with BBCode.

axlHTzM.png

You're right. I probably should have thought this more in depth, but after seeing 1 thread too many, I overreacted.

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

About the filter thing, I don't know if IPB offers this, but on another type of forum where I had access to the Admin CP, there was a filter feature in which it would automatically change a word into another word, or in a sense, filter out explicit words automatically. Like if someone tried to say "sh*t" uncensored and posted it, the post would automatically change the uncensored version of the word to "sh*t" on its own. You can even make it so a word is changed to another word completely, like changing d*ck to pen*s automatically (* being the letter i) but I'm sure if this feature was available here it would have been implemented already.

So I'm really not sure why I even bothered to say this, but too bad this feature isn't available as it would really help the staff out if someone were to go off on a swearing spree or something.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

We also need an option to ban a user from your topic, and turn threads into subforums.  We don't need a Q and A thread, or a wishlist thread.  Those should be subforums as they go more in depth.

• The7thOne likes this

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't know how tricky this could be, but you could add some basic words, or sentences, etc. to a filter.

That can be done the same way the swear filter works, but it is easy to get around it -- it's as easy as typing BBcode without embedding it as I did in this post -- so I'm not sure if it is worth the effort.

My Content

If you click on 'My Content', then you have three options to choose between: 'Topics and posts', 'Only topics' and 'Only posts'.

Topic and posts shows you a list of all topics you have replied to since September 2013, if you joined GTAF prior to the upgrade. If you joined sometime later, it will show you all topics you've replied to since you joined. Only topics is nothing else than a list of all topics you have started. Only posts shows you a list of either the last thousand posts, if you choose descending order, or the first thousand posts, if you choose ascending order, you made.

Why can't we paste links in and have them automatically add the BBcode?

Just in case you didn't know, if you make or edit a post with the rich editor and you copy content from another post or website, for example, then it won't only copy the text but also the font size, font color, background color, etc.

About the filter thing, I don't know if IPB offers this, but on another type of forum where I had access to the Admin CP, there was a filter feature in which it would automatically change a word into another word, or in a sense, filter out explicit words automatically.

That is exactly what the swear filter does: it replaces a word with another word. Words like "sh*t" and "f*ck" can be replaced entirely, if chosen so in the Admin Control Panel.

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

We also need an option to ban a user from your topic

If we had that option, a lot of threads will only contain people who agree with the OP. Because those who disagree are banned.

And turn threads into subforums.

Navigating would be hard if every thread had its own subforum, it's fine the way it is now.

We don't need a Q and A thread

Having a Question and Answer thread solves a lot of locks. If you ask a question where no discussion is possible, it doesn't need its own thread.
The thread is there for quick questions, which can be answered with only 1 post.

Having a subforum wouldn't make any difference, as quick questions still don't need their own thread, but can better be asked in the Q&A thread.

Or a wishlist thread.

Having a wishlist thread is for, again, quick threads that don't have much to discuss. "I would like to see the Pizza Scooter returning in GTAO" and a-like threads don't deserve their own thread.

Actual DLC concepts are technically one big wishlist but can be discussed. They're usually long, have stuff that people can discuss about, and give tips to the OP when asked.

You could discuss about why something should be in the DLC, and why not.
You can't discuss about why 1 person would like to see something returning or not, all you would have to be able to say is "Ok?" or "I agree".

In the wishlist thread people can quote you if they agree with you.

Those should be subforums as they go more in depth.

Having too many subforums would make navigation a mess. It will be the same as if they were in the GTAO main-section anyway.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

If we had that option, a lot of threads will only contain people who agree with the OP. Because those who disagree are banned.

And turn threads into subforums.

Navigating would be hard if every thread had its own subforum, it's fine the way it is now.

We don't need a Q and A thread

Having a Question and Answer thread solves a lot of locks. If you ask a question where no discussion is possible, it doesn't need its own thread.
The thread is there for quick questions, which can be answered with only 1 post.

Having a subforum wouldn't make any difference, as quick questions still don't need their own thread, but can better be asked in the Q&A thread.

Or a wishlist thread.

Having a wishlist thread is for, again, quick threads that don't have much to discuss. "I would like to see the Pizza Scooter returning in GTAO" and a-like threads don't deserve their own thread.

Actual DLC concepts are technically one big wishlist but can be discussed. They're usually long, have stuff that people can discuss about, and give tips to the OP when asked.

You could discuss about why something should be in the DLC, and why not.
You can't discuss about why 1 person would like to see something returning or not, all you would have to be able to say is "Ok?" or "I agree".

In the wishlist thread people can quote you if they agree with you.

Those should be subforums as they go more in depth.

Having too many subforums would make navigation a mess. It will be the same as if they were in the GTAO main-section anyway.

1. Yeah, that's the idea.  Less locking topics, and more discussion.  Right now it's more of an argument.
  2. I am talking about the threads that are used like a subforum.  There would be a vehicle subforum where you discuss vehicles, a Q and A subforum where you would discuss questions and answers, and a wishlist subforum where you discuss future ideas/improvements on the game that could be sent to R*.  It would be way easier than posting in a giant thread where it will just get piled over.
  3. I didn't mean that we don't need it, I mean that it could be a subforum where you could ask more in depth questions.  Then there could be a quick questions thread in that.
  4. Yet again, it would work better instead of being a pile of ideas that disappear.  Having a wishlist subforum would make it easier to navigate which topics you want to discuss instead of being a pile of all topics.
  5. Too many, yes, but it would be fine if the ones that go more in depth were subforums.  EX:  Snapmatic, Vehicles, Wishlist, Q and A.  That's all you need.

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

You've been here less than two months and you have a massive list of all the things that need to be changed about the forum. Yeah, okay....  :dozing:

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Champion Guinea Pig [GTAFMC]
    Most Annoying Member [All Time]
    Biggest Asskisser 2014
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Total Overhaul 2014 [GTA SA Beta Edition]
    Biggest Asskisser 2013

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

Lol, are you saying that if a person has "you" in the post they won't be able to post? That's stupid, and well, the others don't need to be 'banned' either. (Apart from "this forum sucks", but who cares really?) For example:

"You, for example, are a good member"
"A vacuum can suck"
"OP, you did a good job on the first post"
Or, as some people do, just post in a joking way, and usually have things such as "lolz" or that's just how they say it.

Xyn
  • Xyn

Wɇ Diɇ Alonɇ

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

Censorship....hurray.

That's a moderator's job because if left to the masses it will be abused to the extreme.

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:53 AM Edited by Franceska, 25 June 2014 - 07:53 AM.

Censorship....hurray.

That's a moderator's job because if left to the masses it will be abused to the extreme.

• Yeah, that's the idea.  Less locking topics, and more discussion.  Right now it's more of an argument.

He wants to ban people from his threads so he can have all those who agree with him in it, and ban those who disagree with him.
  • Xyn likes this

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

Censorship....hurray.

• Yeah, that's the idea.  Less locking topics, and more discussion.  Right now it's more of an argument.

He wants to ban people from his threads so he can have all those who agree with him in it, and ban those who disagree with him.

Yeah.  Because the ones who disagree are the ones who get it locked.

Coin.
  • Coin.

Some motherf*cker’s always trying to ice skate up hill.

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

I don't really see what the censorship thing accomplishes other than to give trolls another challenge to overcome. Report and move on works well for all intents and purposes.

Sounds about par the course for Darkwar. 

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

Isn't the concept of banning uses from specific threads already exercised?  I know it is not done technically, but a moderator can tell a user not to participate further in a topic, but if the user in question breaks this restriction (because the user is not technically restricted), the offence can resolve in a temporary ban.  I'm sure I have seen it happen.

 dice
  •  dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Yes, but that only applies to gang topics in the PGC afaik

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

We aren't going to start banning people from particular public area threads just because you don't like what they have to say.

If they're breaking the forum rules, report them. If not, grow a spine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users