Spoilers do something now?

18 replies to this topic
CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

If I remember correctly, there was something in the patch notes about spoilers improving your car's performance now. Has anyone tested and confirmed this?

How do you feel about this? Personally I hate spoilers on almost every car so it kinda sucks for me that I'm now gonna have to sacrifice some performance for aesthetics.

Jimrod
  • Jimrod

The Hooded Guest.

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

I made a thread about the same thing earlier. Spoilers definitely have an effect now.

http://gtaforums.com...andling-change/

• kevin de santa likes this

gorskiegangsta
  • gorskiegangsta

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Custom spoilers now improve traction (percentage increase, without variation, so cars with more stock traction gain more as well), which makes them the singular most important performance upgrade (used to be turbo). People are cutting as much as 5sec on ~100sec laps (which is huge), just by adding a custom spoiler (any which one).

Slidey cars (Phoenix, 9F) with spoiler upgrades stick to road better now.

RandallFlagg00
  • RandallFlagg00

Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Weak. I hate the look of spoilers. They look so Polish
  • Filip454 and Der Fahrer like this

Accendo
  • Accendo

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

This is actually awesome. Any steps towards realism are great, imo. People are acting like they don't have a choice when it comes to affecting their car's aesthetics but they do. Look classy or win races, that's the choice, much like rl.

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

I won't bastardize my beautiful coquette or Sabre with a spoiler... But the entity might get one.

RandallFlagg00
  • RandallFlagg00

Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

I put spoilers on all of my cars today. Don't like the look, but whatever it takes to win races

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

Pointless.

This isn't Forza or Gran Turismo.

• Filip454, Jolly Swagman and s13racer316 like this

Niyologist
  • Niyologist

HEREEEEE'S HOMER!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:58 AM Edited by Niyologist, 24 June 2014 - 01:58 AM.

Pointless.

Not really pointless. I welcome this. The Panto can drift better with a spoiler. I can drift pretty well because of the spoiler and the offroad tires. :)

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:04 AM

Pointless.

You are right.  It's GTA and every little improvement helps.

Now if you excuse me, i'll go off and be one of these ricers.

hexis-racing-aston-martin.jpg

Jolly Swagman
  • Jolly Swagman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

Im still not entirely convinced they do anything (sure the traction stat bar moves but since when does the stat bar mean sh*t) but its f*cking daft if they do. 

DJ Kornphlake
  • DJ Kornphlake

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

Im still not entirely convinced they do anything (sure the traction stat bar moves but since when does the stat bar mean sh*t) but its f*cking daft if they do. 

The difference is very noticeable.

s13racer316
  • s13racer316

DRFTSLT

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

Pointless.

Right....

The handling physics in this game are pretty much "arcade". It's not a simulator in anyway. Now I love sliding cars around and having street light showdowns as much as the next gear head but if I want to take video game racing seriously I get on forza. If that's not enough there is always autocross, rallycross, amateur drift comps around where I live. Gta is not to be taken so seriously, especially when comes to vehicles and racing. R* is just trying to cater to everyone. I personally go by what looks good to me. Realism is a big requirement for my selection of vehicles. Just do what you want, f*ck the rest....

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:49 AM

Why does everyone hate spoilers? I put them on all my sports cars and super cars. I don't always throw the most expensive one on it (example being the Massacro, the most expensive spoiler on that car is fugly) but I do think spoilers on the right cars make them look MUCH better, so this is fantastic news to me.

IanE55
  • IanE55

Stuck in Vice City.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Mexico

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

Whatever, I'm not putting a spoiler on my Massacro.

Jolly Swagman
  • Jolly Swagman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:34 AM Edited by Jolly SWAGman, 24 June 2014 - 04:34 AM.

Will the Zion get extra super-duper spoiler handling if you put a spoiler on top of your spoiler?

0_0.jpg

• Biohazard Abyss likes this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:35 AM

Yup, same with the Cheetah I assume :lol:

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

Pointless.

Right....

The handling physics in this game are pretty much "arcade". It's not a simulator in anyway. Now I love sliding cars around and having street light showdowns as much as the next gear head but if I want to take video game racing seriously I get on forza. If that's not enough there is always autocross, rallycross, amateur drift comps around where I live. Gta is not to be taken so seriously, especially when comes to vehicles and racing. R* is just trying to cater to everyone. I personally go by what looks good to me. Realism is a big requirement for my selection of vehicles. Just do what you want, f*ck the rest....

Agree, I use spoilers and body kits to simulate real life versions of my GTA cars. Some lend themselves to it , some not so much.  

There is a whole generation though who has had no experience with track racers. Everything is a F&F or Top Gear street racer

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:37 PM Edited by CenMan, 24 June 2014 - 07:42 PM.

Why does everyone hate spoilers? I put them on all my sports cars and super cars. I don't always throw the most expensive one on it (example being the Massacro, the most expensive spoiler on that car is fugly) but I do think spoilers on the right cars make them look MUCH better, so this is fantastic news to me.

Just a matter of taste. I often think the back ends of cars are beautifully designed and adding an after marktet spoiler is like tattooing Scarlet Johansson's face. My logic is usually that if a car suits a spoiler, then the designers of the car would have put one on it.

Anyway, does the stock spoiler on the Elegy also improve traction? I can't remove it anyway but I think that's one of the few cars that suit it because I associate it with asian tuner cars. I also have one on my Bifta. I've decided not to add it on any other cars because I chose looks over performance. I guess I'll start losing more races then.

• Jolly Swagman likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users