Photo

Spoilers = Huge handling change.

120 replies to this topic
Jimrod
  • Jimrod

The Hooded Guest.

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

I know there have been threads stating that spoilers now affect traction slightly since the Hipster update (I can't find them with search) but it really does have a big impact on the game. If you didn't already know, adding any spoiler to a car now adds traction - all to the same level, bigger spoilers don't = more traction.

I've never been a fan of spoilers on most of my cars but now it's almost a necessity, definitely if you plan on racing. It really "spoils" the look of my Massacro and Vacca!

It's more than just a slight improvement in grip, it affects the overall character and drive-ability of many cars that may alter your views on them. I never got on with the Elegy for example, I could definitely get my fastest lap times on most tracks in it but I didn't like its grip-grip-grip-spin handling. I didn't find I could drive it consistently and much preferred the Jester or Banshee. Like most modern cars handling is sacrificed for sheer grip, which is great but when it eventually breaks away it's hard to counter, it's not progressive. Now I find the Elegy far more consistent and I got my fastest lap on Cutting Coroners in it this morning (55.2), that was until I put a spoiler on my Zentorno (now 54.8!). The Elegy is now easily my favourite sports car. My Vacca now has immense grip in the corners and with its bullet proof rear will be my go-to city driving car. It might be worth revisiting some cars you may have written off like the Comet which was always just a little too tail happy but now may be more easily balanced too.

The one drawback is that now everyone will have to put spoilers on all cars if they want to be competitive, I tend to think it would be better if they worked more like real-life and lowered top speed a little as a side-effect, making them more of a choice depending on car or track.

Overall it's great that Rockstar are adding more "average" and interesting cars and updating things like the spoiler effect (though if I were cynical I'd say it's so we have more to spend our cash on!) so it's certainly a step in the right direction and adds more interest to the game. Maybe tyre/wheel types are next, who knows! :)

• return-to-innocence, Blasterman4EVER, HBSanta and 2 others like this

piper5by5
  • piper5by5

Pull over, you maniac!

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by piper5by5, 4 weeks ago.

I don't get some people complaining over having to put a wing on their car. Most cars have options for smaller, more stylish spoilers or even lip spoilers, but so many people act like they have to put that oversized GT/Drift wing on to be competitive now. No you don't, guys. Just put one of the smaller spoilers on and you're good to go. Or, if you really don't want one, just brush up on your driving skills if needed and you'll be able to compete with most racers out there, even if they have spoilers on their cars.
  • Lc gta, SirPhilMcKraken, lunaticz0r and 5 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

GTA Connoisseur

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I hope tire types are next, it'll add more in depth customization and make the game fresh. I wish that the bigger spoilers did more to handling, but as a balancing factor, decrease your top speed. So, if you wanted more handling, you'd have to sacrifice top speed. Or if you want top speed, but want just a little bit of handling, you could use a smaller spoiler. Hopefully R* implements this into the game.

• Fox2Quick, Defender1904, BigJoe_1 and 1 other like this

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

No spoiler on my Infernus.

Not now, not ever.

• saintsrow, Rockwheels, malcolmfunktion and 15 others like this

CReaper210
  • CReaper210

Kingpin

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by CReaper210, 4 weeks ago.

I've only put a spoiler on the Buffalo so far, but I don't really notice a difference, personally.

I'll probably end up trying with another car later though.

I won't be keeping it though. Spoilers often make a car look far worse. Almost every car I own has it as an option, but only 2 actually have them, just because it looks like it goes with it.

piper5by5
  • piper5by5

Pull over, you maniac!

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

I hope tire types are next, it'll add more in depth customization and make the game fresh. I wish that the bigger spoilers did more to handling, but as a balancing factor, decrease your top speed. So, if you wanted more handling, you'd have to sacrifice top speed. Or if you want top speed, but want just a little bit of handling, you could use a smaller spoiler. Hopefully R* implements this into the game.

If they go about making custom tires affect performance, I hope they add more options. The custom tire look for most rims (big white/red letters on the tire) looks funny to me. I'd like some nice designs like in Midnight Club LA, like Pirelli-type tires that have a cool tread design but are still plain black like normal tires.
  • The7thOne and Il-Shadow like this

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

Bonkers

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 4 weeks ago

Great, I'll put that Park bench like spoiler on my Feltzer next time I play GTA O!
  • saintsrow, SirPhilMcKraken, Rockwheels and 5 others like this

Jobbo
  • Jobbo

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I've never been a fan of spoilers on most of my cars but now it's almost a necessity, definitely if you plan on racing. It really "spoils" the look of my Massacro and Vacca!

Bang on - I didn't want a spoiler on my Massacro, Jester or Felon but it's now a necessity :(

Still, Felon with spoiler seems to be on a par with Exemplar which shakes the coupe class up a bit :D

• Jimrod likes this

piper5by5
  • piper5by5

Pull over, you maniac!

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Bang on - I didn't want a spoiler on my Massacro, Jester or Felon but it's now a necessity :(

Still, Felon with spoiler seems to be on a par with Exemplar which shakes the coupe class up a bit :D

Too bad everyone always runs super/sports races.

My Exemplar is going to sit and continue collecting dust... :(
  • Pagan Lowrider, NikkoCharger, Jobbo and 3 others like this

Gallioni Pepperoni
  • Gallioni Pepperoni

≧◔◡◔≦

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Was this change intended? If so, its pretty stupid for the people who simply don't like ugly spoilers on their cars, but whatever.

Jimrod
  • Jimrod

The Hooded Guest.

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Loved my slick Massacro - maybe I'll take the spoiler back off and just use the Jester for racing (Elegy is on my other character), there's just something wrong about ruining the clean lines of some of the cars...

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

• Gantons Most Wanted, RoachKiller_416, DJ Kornphlake and 2 others like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

It's a terrible move. Grip levels are already over the roof in this game, adding some more will make the driving even more lame. If they wanted to give a premium to wing users, they should have taken grip away from wingless cars and keep the old grip levels for winged cars.

Plus we're not even free to keep the looks we want for our car anymore.
  • B Dawg, Jimrod and Darth Krizz like this

piper5by5
  • piper5by5

Pull over, you maniac!

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Was this change intended? If so, its pretty stupid for the people who simply don't like ugly spoilers on their cars, but whatever.

Yeah, it was intended. There's an added description for spoilers now too in LSC. And as I said before, not all the spoiler options are ugly. There are decent looking lip and low level spoilers for most cars that have spoilers as an option.

elfoam
  • elfoam

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by elfoam, 4 weeks ago.

Its changed everything because fast cars with low traction have gained more than cars which already had good enough traction. I got my Turismo out the other day and was doing bad laps in the 56s on cutting corners when previously a 56 was near flawless for me.

Got my Zentorno out and smashed a pretty sloppy mid 55 when previously my best was a 56.3?.

There maybe some cars (like the four door felon) which were a little tail happy before that might be much faster now.

Jimrod
  • Jimrod

The Hooded Guest.

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Pretty sure it was intended as it's a direct, statistical change on the bars so very unlikely to be an accident.

As I and another few guys said - would be good if it was balanced to lower top speed like real life, would add a lot more variables to racing.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

SHUT UP AND BLEED

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Woke up this morning to see another person whining about options...

Happy Monday
  • s13racer316 and Darth_Zannah like this

Jimrod
  • Jimrod

The Hooded Guest.

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Happy Monday

Woke up this morning to see another person with poor reading comprehension. Usual Monday! :)

• SirPhilMcKraken, return-to-innocence, Ermac. and 11 others like this

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 4 weeks ago

When I put a spoiler on my Voltic it didn't help me win races.

Of course now I have a normal-looking Lotus/Tesla, but still.

hentai_posse
  • hentai_posse

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 4 weeks ago

really love how the comet zooms around every corner with even less fishtail than before

• No-scope=NO_HOPE!!, Jimrod, NikkoCharger and 2 others like this

Jimrod
  • Jimrod

The Hooded Guest.

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

I still want the body coloured roof back! :D Problem with the Voltic is that even though it's a great car with great stock acceleration the fact you can't add a turbo means its advantage is soon lost in the Super class when others are fully modded. Great fun car though, just not competitive.

cuti8tushu
  • cuti8tushu

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Can anyone confirm this with codes/ingame files?

Are you sure it's not a placebo affect?

• Marwin Moody and vipprimo like this

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I know there have been threads stating that spoilers now affect traction slightly since the Hipster update (I can't find them with search) but it really does have a big impact on the game. If you didn't already know, adding any spoiler to a car now adds traction - all to the same level, bigger spoilers don't = more traction.

It's more than just a slight improvement in grip, it affects the overall character and drive-ability of many cars that may alter your views on them. I never got on with the Elegy for example, I could definitely get my fastest lap times on most tracks in it but I didn't like its grip-grip-grip-spin handling. I didn't find I could drive it consistently and much preferred the Jester or Banshee. Like most modern cars handling is sacrificed for sheer grip, which is great but when it eventually breaks away it's hard to counter, it's not progressive. Now I find the Elegy far more consistent and I got my fastest lap on Cutting Coroners in it this morning (55.2), that was until I put a spoiler on my Zentorno (now 54.8!). The Elegy is now easily my favourite sports car. My Vacca now has immense grip in the corners and with its bullet proof rear will be my go-to city driving car. It might be worth revisiting some cars you may have written off like the Comet which was always just a little too tail happy but now may be more easily balanced too.

The one drawback is that now everyone will have to put spoilers on all cars if they want to be competitive, I tend to think it would be better if they worked more like real-life and lowered top speed a little as a side-effect, making them more of a choice depending on car or track.

Overall it's great that Rockstar are adding more "average" and interesting cars and updating things like the spoiler effect (though if I were cynical I'd say it's so we have more to spend our cash on!) so it's certainly a step in the right direction and adds more interest to the game. Maybe tyre/wheel types are next, who knows! :)

I had absolutely no idea they made this change & I think its great, I will be putting spoilers on a tonne of my cars now for sure.

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 4 weeks ago

I still want the body coloured roof back! :D Problem with the Voltic is that even though it's a great car with great stock acceleration the fact you can't add a turbo means its advantage is soon lost in the Super class when others are fully modded. Great fun car though, just not competitive.

Man, I forgot what my roof is. I think I own a second-color one, to match the spoiler. Been hanging out in my second apt, so I haven't seen.

Oh, I tried putting turbo on a Voltic using Save Editor. Talk about futile.

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

One hundred percent true on the spoiler option. The sultan used to be an underdog with its floaty characteristics. It's well planted now with a spoiler and can take on elegies with

considerable ease. I led a race on Dipping in and finished almost 4 seconds ahead of the second place elegy. And he was right up there in my bum!

It feels as if Rockstar wanted to cater to the masses and level the playing field between the fastest cars and cars that were previously uncompetitive. Best update ever.

Especially when the underdogs get a huge improvement compared to the top doges

hotrats773
  • hotrats773

Player Lover

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Happy Monday

Sorry. I disagree. This is an intelligently put together, informative post which is saying a lot on these forums.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

• SirPhilMcKraken, return-to-innocence, vipprimo and 1 other like this

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I just don't see putting a spoiler on as a necessity. If you're a good driver you'll always be competitive. If you have to have the best car with the best mods to race then I think you're being a bit weird.
I race with some crazy good drivers in Red Rum, much better than I am, I just do what I like with my cars. Would be the same in random lobbies, I'd just win a lot more races, top car or not...

I think this is a really interesting change myself. Opens up the classes a bit more, like has been said. Cars like the 9F and Comet are more drivable and therefore more competitive. Coupes and compacts are really shaken up.
Would be nice if there was a speed pay off but it is what it is.

And if you hate spoilers? Relax, leave it off, enjoy your racing, like your car, be cool. Simple.
  • strakan7 likes this

Sash
  • Sash

Mile high club

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Out of the 20 vehicles I own, the Sultan is the only car that has a spoiler.

• Zorvaine likes this

budcat
  • budcat

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'll still race fools with my spoiler-less Infernus and win a third of the time. Good enough for me. I'm all style over substance now that I'm rank 200 and want for nothing basically. At this point I'm just buying stupid prop planes and useless boats. No need to win every race.

strakan7
  • strakan7

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

agreed, you dont have to put the spoilers on just because it improves the handling. I for one only put spoilers on cars that i think suit them, the stock massacro  for example looks better without but with the extra splitters etc it suits the big wing well (in my opinion). Dont rush for the advantage just because its there...

• MatthewH likes this

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

agreed, you dont have to put the spoilers on just because it improves the handling. I for one only put spoilers on cars that i think suit them, the stock massacro  for example looks better without but with the extra splitters etc it suits the big wing well (in my opinion). Dont rush for the advantage just because its there...

Style and substance is as important as form and function in my book. I'm glad though that a lot of cars in the game have at least one decent spoiler.

I agree. I'd leave the massacro with the stock bumpers and no wing. It already looks amazing right off the bat.

• MatthewH likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users