Who the hell was "Player 2"?

50 replies to this topic
CRAZYGTASAINT
  • CRAZYGTASAINT

The Crazy GTA Saint

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

Anyone who played GTA3 on the PC will probably remember going to the "player setup" screen and seeing the option for "playa2". He is Claude but with a mustache, brown jacket, blue jeans, white trainers and blue eyes....

Untitled.png

It is just an alternate skin that looks kind of funny but it is never referenced or mentioned ever again. It's just kind of...there.

Please let me know your thoughts...

• Lock N' Stock, orbitalraindrops and Kafonix like this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Maybe a disguise for Claude? I mean, almost every gang hates him, but Claude wouldn't need a disguise, unless his default skin is his disguise and Player 2 is what Claude really looks like...

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 and CMB281 like this

PM-ME-YOUR-TITS-GIRL
  • PM-ME-YOUR-TITS-GIRL

Dr. Roofy McTouchy

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Probably something to invite people to mod skins and stuff. Just to broadcast, telling fans "hey, make skins and use them like this one"

Why did VC also have a "player skin" feature in the vanilla menu? Skinning is never talked about in the game, nor is it mentioned in any of the manuals or anything.

It's R* paving the path for modders.

• Kamd likes this

GTAGuy1995
  • GTAGuy1995

Thug

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:46 AM Edited by GTAGuy1995, 12 December 2014 - 05:43 PM.

I think it was supposed to be used for multiplayer. Since multiplayer was scrapped, they kept the skin and added an option to select skin in game. ;)

• CRAZYGTASAINT, Pastry and Kafonix like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

It's R* paving the path for modders.

It used to at least.

I've played with that skin before and it looks quite silly seeing blue jeans with pockets like that on the sides.
  • Pastry and Spadge like this

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ Anything 80's ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

Wasn't there a time where they were planning to include multiplayer in the game?
  • Pastry likes this

CRAZYGTASAINT
  • CRAZYGTASAINT

The Crazy GTA Saint

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Wasn't there a time where they were planning to include multiplayer in the game?

Yeah, but they scrapped the idea early on. But maybe if they did test the game with multiple players, then maybe they used the skin for an extra player.

• Pastry likes this

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

I think its just a simple add-on for PC. PS2/Xbox version did not have it right?

Pastry
  • Pastry

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

I think its just a simple add-on for PC. PS2/Xbox/Mobile version did not have it right?

It prob had it. Just no way to trigger/use it. Btw i edited the mobile version to your post.

CRAZYGTASAINT
  • CRAZYGTASAINT

The Crazy GTA Saint

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

I think its just a simple add-on for PC. PS2/Xbox/Mobile version did not have it right?

It prob had it. Just no way to trigger/use it. Btw i edited the mobile version to your post.

In the PS2 and most likely the Xbox version too, there is no Skins folder where the player 2 skin is located.

Bartleby
  • Bartleby

Current Mentos Freshness: 65%

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

I always figured it was just an alternate skin. I think it's kinda cool because I switch the skins after
Spoiler
, like you change your look to avoid attention or to turn over a new leaf.
  • Blingy, Mr. Jago, Lock N' Stock and 6 others like this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

It's just a skin. They simple gave us an additional one to use, as there was cloth pickups option on GTAIII.

Mr. Dreemurr
  • Mr. Dreemurr

Fastback

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

GTA III was going to have multiplayer, and this is probably how you'd see others.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:48 AM Edited by CasualSergiu, 26 June 2014 - 09:53 AM.

The multiplayer theory? Unlikely.
In the alpha/beta development stages they had two player skins, same as in the final version.

The default player skin, having a black jacket and no mustache.
And the 2nd one (optional) wearing a blue jacket and having a mustache.

They might have kept that concept, yet, altering it quite a bit. You get the idea.

• Blastoise1994 likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Have no fear, Olek is here! Mwahahaha...

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

In the alpha/beta development stages they had two player skins, same as in the final version.

They might have kept that concept, yet, altering it quite a bit. You get the idea.

So that explains why in some pics Claude wore a blue jacket and had the Nazi Hitler mustache...

• CRAZYGTASAINT likes this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Probably just a pre-made example from Rockstar to show us what we can achieve by editing the skin. The whole skins menu was there just for the player to use as means of having fun with the in game appearance. I guess by the time of SA they realized mods have taken over anyway so there was no need for skins any more (that and the fact that it wouldn't work due to separate clothing pieces).

//XP//
  • //XP//

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

VC beta had these things aswell...the player2 skin and so, are kept in the android version files

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Can you show VC Player 2 images?

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Champion Guinea Pig [GTAFMC]
    Most Annoying Member [All Time]
    Biggest Asskisser 2014
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Total Overhaul 2014 [GTA SA Beta Edition]
    Biggest Asskisser 2013

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

It is just an alternate skin, they may not have really mentioned it in GTA3, but for Vice City you could (and still can) download an alternate skin for Tommy on their website.

http://www.rockstarg...ty/pc/index.htm
Go to Downloads > Skin, and you can get it.

• Mr. Jago likes this

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

Scion Of The Flame

• Facade Corporation
  • Unknown

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Player 2 is some kind of Miguel... As Sergiu said, I think it was used for MP...

.: Phaze
  • .: Phaze

Why so serious?...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

I agree, I believe it was created for the use of multiplayer.

Other than that, it could just be a simple PC add-on showing you can edit your characters apperence...

R4gN0r0K
  • R4gN0r0K

☆ ♛ ☆

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:04 AM

i dont think that in multiplayer everone had the same model, i think that the player could choose the Peds that he would play.

Naroon
  • Naroon

Saturday Night Beaver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

Multiplayer was canned early on, doubt it had anything to do with that. It was just "Player 2" as in "a second skin", letting people see an example of what could be achieved with manual modding.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:09 AM Edited by Filip454, 22 November 2014 - 08:10 AM.

Bullsh*t.

It's just a PC add-on and it has nothing to do with a multiplayer.

So that explains why in some pics Claude wore a blue jacket and had the Nazi Hitler mustache...

Nah, Claude has changed a lot during the development. That's all.

There was no such thing as 2 characters.

• lol232 likes this

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

Claude's twin brother confirmed. 

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:13 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 28 November 2014 - 09:20 PM.

Bullsh*t.

I've never mentioned anything about multiplayer. Multiple looks? Yes, I think you're right. You must know more about the PS2 version compared to myself (never been a console player).

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:35 AM Edited by Filip454, 29 November 2014 - 03:41 AM.

Bullsh*t.

I've never mentioned anything about multiplayer. Multiple looks? Yes, I think you're right. You must know more about the PS2 version compared to myself (never been a console player).

Sorry for my "egoistic" tone but I hate when people make up things that have never happened :D That's all.

Well, I think it doesn't matter if you are an old player or not. There is some info on the net so you don't even have to play this game to become a walking encyclopedia containing GTA beta info.

I know that you were probably talking about Tom Novy as a protag but there is no info if he was a second protag or just a cutscene character so I think we need more proof to make such statements.

• PerfectBlade likes this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Bullsh*t.

Sorry for my "egoistic" tone but I hate when people make up things that have never happened :D That's all.

Well, I think it doesn't matter if you are an old player or not. There is some info on the net so you don't even have to play this game to become a walking encyclopedia containing GTA beta info.

I know that you were probably talking about Tom Novy as a protag but there is no info if he was a second protag or just a cutscene character so I think we need more proof to make such statements.

That's right. Tom Novy was never a second player. He was a beta protagonist, removed from the final version of the game. Player 2 was just a skin for Claude with a different jacket and moustache.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:43 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 29 November 2014 - 01:49 PM.

Bullsh*t.

That's right. Tom Novy was never a second player. He was a beta protagonist, removed from the final version of the game. Player 2 was just a skin for Claude with a different jacket and moustache.

I wasn't talking about Tom Novy as a protagonist (facepalm), that's completely idiotic.
If anything, it's possible Novy was some sort of radio host (but that's still speculation).
Or, a simple pedestrian because he has both a LOD and a normal model (again, speculation with no further proof to support it).
Therefore all of the possibilities mentioned above aren't for sure, the last two are sorta plausible but the 1st one is just some foolish myth.

@Philip You're making assumptions off something I didn't even talk about, not even indirectly. Where the hell did I ever mention 2 protagonists? Again, assumptions.

I've never made such statement other than saying there were two possible skins or, just multiple looks. You might've gotten the wrong idea there.

As far as the alpha goes, I'm pretty good there. Beta? Not my side of business but I can sure say that Novy as a protagonist sounds very far fetched. Having a secondary player skin wouldn't have been an issue for Rockstar so that may explain some things as well; yes, I was wrong about a 'skin selector' but the multiple versions of one rendition still stands as this is just a theory. To sum it all up, yes, it can be considered, just, multiple versions.

So yeah, assuming things I didn't even mention then bashing me for them? Sweet.
I've accepted that some of the things I've said were wrong (due to me not being interested in the PS2/beta and that's something you may bash me for) but then again, where did I ever mention Tom Novy or 2nd character? All I said was multiple skins/versions.
Please, do not assume the next time. Just take your time before going on some 'rampage'. Thank you for reading. I'm hoping you'll see this circumstance as fair and as more of a mistake on both ends.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:13 PM Edited by Filip454, 29 November 2014 - 02:34 PM.

I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just saying that thinking about Rockstar creating multiple protag in GTA 3 is idiotic.

Bullsh*t.

I wasn't talking about Tom Novy as a protagonist (facepalm), that's completely idiotic.
If anything, it's possible Novy was some sort of radio host (but that's still speculation).
Or, a simple pedestrian because he has both a LOD and a normal model (again, speculation with no further proof to support it).
Therefore all of the possibilities mentioned above aren't for sure, the last two are sorta plausible but the 1st one is just some foolish myth.

@Philip You're making assumptions off something I didn't even talk about, not even indirectly. Where the hell did I ever mention 2 protagonists? Again, assumptions.

I've never made such statement other than saying there were two possible skins or, just multiple looks. You might've gotten the wrong idea there.

As far as the alpha goes, I'm pretty good there. Beta? Not my side of business but I can sure say that Novy as a protagonist sounds very far fetched. Having a secondary player skin wouldn't have been an issue for Rockstar so that may explain some things as well; yes, I was wrong about a 'skin selector' but the multiple versions of one rendition still stands as this is just a theory. To sum it all up, yes, it can be considered, just, multiple versions.

So yeah, assuming things I didn't even mention then bashing me for them? Sweet.
I've accepted that some of the things I've said were wrong (due to me not being interested in the PS2/beta and that's something you may bash me for) but then again, where did I ever mention Tom Novy or 2nd character? All I said was multiple skins/versions.
Please, do not assume the next time. Just take your time before going on some 'rampage'. Thank you for reading. I'm hoping you'll see this circumstance as fair and as more of a mistake on both ends.

That's why I wrote "probably" cause I was quite busy when replying.

Well I think I misread your post or even worse - I think I've read your posts properly and understood them but inserted wrong quotes and everything was mashed up.

Next time I will try not to make you mad or to make you think I'm bashing you for something :D

And I think I was talking generally about some players here (not you) - as far as I remember.

BTW how we can distinguish what version was alpha and beta if we weren't programming GTA at that time? It's impossible.

We can only make assumptions here becuase we don't know what 2000 version was developed for (because there were some rumors that Dreamcast version was cancelled) or we can simply make an artificial division based on the look of different screenshots - for example - alpha could be less detailed and beta slightly better detailed but still worse than the final like it usually is but the point is that we don't know what is beta or alpha - an alpha can look better than a beta.

AFAIK everything that was cartoonish was alpha (for people here) and everything that was more detailed and looked more advanced is beta.

That's why I think any beta or alpha mods are just for fun cause it's impossible to recreate the alpha or even beta Liberty City in 100% or even 60% similarity.

• PerfectBlade likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users