[WIP|SCR] Blue Ovals

401 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

@universe Im lucky enough to find this gauge face from the internet, it was white but I inverted it (saves me a lot of time photoshopping) Sounds like that old el camino had been sitting for too long. That reminds me of an old lawnmower (had been sitting for years) Im trying to get it running, I spent a good time cleaning up the gunks and varnished residues from the carburetor, but the gaskets are in poor shape...I have to find a kit to rebuild the carburetor. carburetors can be  tricky.

The funny thing is that I don't remember where his El Camino came from, whereas I know where all his other cars came from. His old Harley Davidson Sportster he got after leaving the army in the 1970s, his Buick Century he got from his grandparents, and he got a Mexican Police motorbike from some bike dealer in some obscure Washington DC Exurb. I remember the long rides he'd take me on to get there and how bored I was sitting in the bike showroom for what felt like years while he talked to the dealer about the bike. But he got the El Camino and from the day he got it to the day he died, he could never get it to run. I remember it, it was all rusty red and the seats had stuffing coming out of it. Hell, even the hood ornament was detached from the hood itself and just lying idly on the seat. Then he died and my brother inherited his cars and sold them to go to college. Maybe when my 3D modelling gets to be better, I can remake something like it, but till then, it's gonna be one long nostalgia trip.

Are you planning on adding any details on this like a magazine laying on the backseat or a map on the dashboard?

• RoadRunner71 likes this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:12 AM Edited by Carface80, 30 June 2014 - 02:17 AM.

@universe I rarely add any extra, by the time I get the car complete, I felt too "exhausted" adding more extras... maybe im being lazy.  maybe this time I'll add some props, like mindf*ck does. A dices hanging on the window, a Garfield doll sticking on the side window...i think i can spare some energy for it...

Its nice to have some old cars to tinkers, I wish I got an old car to fiddle it around...just to keep me occupied, working on old muscle car is much more interesting than working on 14 year old mundane  car.  I help my brother rebuild a power steering pump on an old sienna, taking the pump out was much harder than rebuilding the pump itself...

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

That's cool news. If you're looking for any magazine covers or anything like that, I could make some textures for you. Not only this project is making me nostalgic to the point to where I'd like to help in any way I can but also you really see it a lot around here. I know this one girl I got rides to meets & practice with when I swam for my high school, she had a 90's Civic who had a backseat that looked like something out of "Hoarders". Papers, books, cups, you name it, it was back there.

I used to have a model railroad to tinker with but I took it apart and packed it away because I'm moving out west in a few months. Considering that I've got now until September free aside from working in the mundane landscaping business, I got myself a trial copy of 3DSmax and I'm hoping I could learn some stuff about modelling/mapping. I've had some thoughts about taking out the bed of IV's Rancher and putting a flatbed there or, alternatively, extending the bed and making it look like a cherrypicker truck. But those are all idle thoughts. It's hard to get into though, so I gotta give you props for your skills so far. I can't physically high-five you, shake your hand, or anything like that, so I hope this picture of Jimmy Carter will do.

Spoiler

• Carface80 likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

The disadvantage I see to adding extras is how the .wtd size increases. It looks kind if more "alive", but normally is welcome a lower file size.
  • Carface80 likes this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:28 AM Edited by Carface80, 30 June 2014 - 03:29 AM.

@universe, Thanks, I let you know if I need some magazine textures, you probably have more experience with personalities than I do, I literally live in a cave :D btw a A jimmy carter will do :) Talk about nostalgic, I am more fond on cars that is not perfect shape, not a rust bucket, but the paint is a bit faded and hubcaps are missing, traces of wear and tear everywhere but not totally a disaster, just a worn but taken care. Not the redneck kind, but more of a ride in the middle of brooklyn in mid 1970's

I have limited experience with people's clutter's, I seen some but...not in a diverse way.. google car barely help me...not really the kind of clutter I wanted..

car%20junk%203%20small.jpg

messy-car.png

• universetwisters likes this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:21 AM Edited by Carface80, 30 June 2014 - 04:42 AM.

no hubcaps...a white wall is all i need.

edit: damn migrane is killing me...

fairout.jpg

fairout2.jpg

• Nik. and Rocket350 like this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

@roadrunner  Ill try to find a way to keep the wtd file smaller, using vehshare might be handy. Maybe a bit more modeling than using textures. My new texture mapping method had been the more efficient compared to my earlier mods.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

That's true, not a whole overload of rust is always a nice exterior touch. I remember reading an article in a model train magazine that focused on weathering model cars that looked too "new" and it had some good pointers like replacing one tire with that of another brand, removing a hubcap, and so forth. It's hard to tell when to stop though, because once you start that kind of stuff it's hard to stop and makes it stick out more. I tried it once and I ended up making something that looked like it got dragged up from the bottom of a lake after 30 years and repaired into operable condition, rather than something that'll blend into the city and traffic while looking realistic at the same time.

I'm not sure how you'd be able to pull off stuff like that, maybe in like a beater variant or something? Anywho I've always grown up in minor lay cluttered cars so I could be of some service. Hell, I might even make a magazine cover after work if this map someone's sending me isn't coming in today.

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:42 PM Edited by Carface80, 30 June 2014 - 01:50 PM.

@universe hopefully i got enough steam left, but it can be done. As long the body is fully uv mapped, Using specular map, i can simulate a glossy car with some parts are faded, painted with a primer and patched with a body filler. Depending on the shader (materials) if you set it to mesh, you can use the bump map and simulate surface rust, stone chips or paint bubbles.

The only way to determine the proper amount of weathering is to have a reference photo and compared it to the model. I supposed it makes the paint a bit dull and add some sort of water marks streaking down. This could be effective on larger scaled cars, the water drops and streaks are too large (leave a model car in a rain and see how large those water droplet are, compared to a real car)

Nik.
  • Nik.

Hochmeister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

too bad about the migrane, I get those attacks aswell time to time (blame my busy rl life)

Car looks great tho. :)

• Carface80 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

@universe hopefully i got enough steam left, but it can be done. As long the body is fully uv mapped, Using specular map, i can simulate a glossy car with some parts are faded, painted with a primer and patched with a body filler. Depending on the shader (materials) if you set it to mesh, you can use the bump map and simulate surface rust, stone chips or paint bubbles.

The only way to determine the proper amount of weathering is to have a reference photo and compared it to the model. I supposed it makes the paint a bit dull and add some sort of water marks streaking down. This could be effective on larger scaled cars, the water drops and streaks are too large (leave a model car in a rain and see how large those water droplet are, compared to a real car)

I never modeled large scale cars. The only cars I really modeled were HO scale cars for my layout and they're pretty small (1:87th scale).

Also, this here's a billboard I did, just to show what I can do in photoshop as far as designs and the like go.

Spoiler

• Carface80 and Oldsmobile_85 like this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

@nik thanks

@universe great billboard artwork, looks kind of retro.reminds me in the past when i tried to learn adobe illustrator and flash (and got tired of them) I made 2 model kit in my whole life, one is a corvette with crappy paintbrushed body and an ocean liner (never done)

I made some modest progress, the rear lights shapes was incorrect and I ended up re shaping the quarter panel, I added more detailsin the engine bay. Hopefully today I quit stalling around :D
  • Nik. and universetwisters like this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

Rear...

\fairlanerear.jpg

• ALMOST610, Nik., Compeast and 3 others like this

Krystofer
  • Krystofer

Only 200

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

Really nice car, good luck. ;)

• Carface80 likes this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:23 PM Edited by Carface80, 06 July 2014 - 03:55 AM.

Door jambs how exciting!

fairdoor.jpg

striptease.jpg

• ALMOST610, Nik., universetwisters and 4 others like this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

the 390, still crude stage.

fairlane390.jpg

• Nik., universetwisters, Compeast and 2 others like this

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Love the details in the engine bay, I passed one of these today, well, it was the local 4 Door but I sure did look twice at it.

• Carface80 likes this

darthvader20011
  • darthvader20011

Official MST Taxi Driver

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Nice :)

• Carface80 likes this

Rocket350
  • Rocket350

Bucketheadland

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

very detalied engine bay, it is important for the classic GTA. Good job :^:

• Carface80 likes this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

@almost610 these fairlanes are a rare sight aroud here, and i offent confused with the larger falaxie because they look almost identical (specually in the distance)

@darth vader thanks :)

@rocket350 agree, its a big difference when you add some details like labels, its easy to model the details than texturing (mainly laying out uv maps alone took so much time)
  • darthvader20011 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Nice looking engine and whatnot you got there!

Out of wondering, do you have any plans for the trunk? Will you throw in a spare tire, etc. there or just leave it empty?

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

@almost610 these fairlanes are a rare sight aroud here, and i offent confused with the larger Galaxie because they look almost identical (specually in the distance)

Generally cars from before the mid 80's are becoming a rare sight to see around in general, but in saying that, again today I saw another one of these, an unrestored ZD (yesterday was a ZC) with original registration was behind me on the road today for a while, I wanted to get a picture in my mirror but didnt get a chance. I bet the old guy driving it probably brought it brand new and uses it everyday, you could see it has been well looked after but it was clear it gets daily use.

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

@universe It wont be empty (unlike some of my past cars, doesn't even come with a spare) at least it comes with a spare wheel, maybe tools then if i got enough steam maybe a luggage.

@almost610 This is so true most owners are middle aged men and older. Ive seen these cars owned by old people then they passed it to their children and grand kids. I only see these car more often every summer, because rain and winter condition will accelerate the corrosion and plenty of paint bubbles (body work is no fun without a proper welding skills)

Some progress on 390,

fairlane390b.jpg

• Nik. and Rocket350 like this

stratumxspb
  • stratumxspb

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:39 AM Edited by stratumxspb, 08 July 2014 - 09:41 AM.

Some progress on 390,

Ford FE engine 390 CID? That block also used on Ford F-series, what I'm modeling.
By the way, this is the biggest engine used on F-series, so, I think, I should do 300 or 302, but if I will be too lazy to do it... Can I use?)
  • Carface80 likes this

Nik.
  • Nik.

Hochmeister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Extras are always nice to see Brian. ;)

Great looking engine aswell!

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

@stratum yes i can give you the model as soon as i finished the engine. didnt realized its part of FE engine family, i as thinking doing a 427, but i chose 390 instead.

@nik i hooe i feel motivated enough to model a few extras :) cars are always nicer with them.
  • Nik. likes this

Nik.
  • Nik.

Hochmeister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I have no problem with knocking some motivation in your head, Im very stubborn. ;)

• Carface80 likes this

Carface80
  • Carface80

indefatigable

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:04 AM Edited by Carface80, 15 July 2014 - 06:07 AM.

my thread is getting buried, time to get it a boost...in other word bumping my thread (thankfully douchebag carper is not the moderator or ill get banned for bumping my own old thread)

lame progress, summer heat is slowing me down, feeling "tired"  modeled the seats....parts of the engine.

fairseat.jpg

• ALMOST610, Nik., RoadRunner71 and 3 others like this

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Awesome, Here, I'll give it another bump ;)

Compeast
  • Compeast

Classic Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Looking good mate. By the way, saw your amazing bus model on GPM converted to SA. Did you give them permission?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users