First Job

105 replies to this topic
ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

What was everyones' first job? A burger joint? Apprentice? My first job is being a painter's assistant, I work with my dad painting houses for the most part.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Concession stand at my local ball park. I just turned 16 and lived like 10mins walking distance, so it was pretty gravy. I used to drive our riding mower up there because f*ck walking but eventually was able to save up money to buy my first car.

• Abel. and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

RAD XTREME LEFTIST

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

My first job was a summer job working at a beach club for what seemed to be exclusively wealthy--and incredibly rude, stingy--people when I was 17. I had to set-up chairs and umbrellas for people on the beach, keep the beach/pool area clean, take out trash, replace the water cooler tanks if they ran out, plunge toilets, and basically the kind of sh*t you would expect a janitor to be doing. All in all, it was pretty bad.

Eventually, I was fired from the place after an altercation with one of the patrons. Dude sprayed me in the face with a hose when I was trying to reason with him--it was closing time, and him and his dipsh*t sons refused to leave--and I just f*cking lost it. I went in the next day and one of the managers said something along the lines of "yeah, to prevent any further incidents, we don't need you to come in. We'll compensate you for the hours you were supposed to work". And that was that. I would have been done working there two weeks later anyway, and I got paid for literally not going into work, so I guess it wasn't all bad in the end. I still wanna kick that old, rich motherf*ckers ass, though. Hopefully he's dead.

• ddyoung, Verdant, GunWrath and 8 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

My first job was working for a landscaping business my mom's boyfriend runs during the summer of 2011, and it's been my summer job up until today until I move out west to get a Forklift Driver license. The hot and humid Florida summers coupled with the temperamental equipment that constantly breaks down and occasionally having to weedwhack somebody's backyard where there's a bunch of dog sh*t is a pretty big drawback, to me. However, the good pay for simple work and the trips to the gas station minimart to get hot dogs and pop while the mowers are getting gassed up are SO worth it.

• DarkSavageDeathlyCloud likes this

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Administrator
  • Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

My first job was bussing tables at a sh*tty chain restaurant. I lasted about 40 minutes before quitting and getting a great job at a veterinary hospital and clinic taking care of the boarding animals. It was so much better than schlepping dirty dishes and the pay was great, too.

• Tyler, theGTAking101 and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ô

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

my first job ever was lifeguard at my neighborhood pool for minimum wage.

had to ride my bike to work since I was only 14 and a half.

it was this nice membership-only "bath and tennis" club where they also served mixed drinks down by the pool.

so it was mostly adults and nobody was ever running or trying to do backflips off the diving board. so I never had to do anything.

so I mostly just slept and got tanned.

• Abel. and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

I was a waitress. I remember I was 12 or 13 ('16' if anyone asked), and was only meant to wash the pots and pans. But I ended up doing much more than that, especially when others didn't show.

I remember one night, it was me and two other girls who were meant to be working, but neither of them showed up. The tips I earned! £100 for three nights' work was a LOT at 13. Sure glad Mr. Pink wasn't around, though ...

It was a good little earner, until the managers moved on.
  • Daz, Abel., Andreas and 1 other like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:34 PM Edited by toxluv, 21 June 2014 - 09:35 PM.

I worked on a farm and it's been a beautiful experience, especially during wine harvest season.

• Tyler likes this

El Tel
  • El Tel

It's just a ride.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

While at college, I did 20 hours a week at Marks & Spencers, but only about 2-4 of those hours were actually spent working. The way I see it, I got paid to constantly flirt with a girl who I ended up falling in love with and later lost my virginity to.

Not just any girlfriend. Simply the finest, free-range girlfriend. Hand picked from select stock.

Thanks M&S.

• ddyoung likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

I worked as a cashier at the local Kmart. I usually maxed out my hours for being a minor and the pay was good, so no complaints there. Just the occasional obnoxious customer. 

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

I don't know if I can really call it a job, but I get paid for it. Every year my grandfather pays me for helping him for picking plums. We pick about 2 tons every year. 

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Ugh, my first job was the best job I'll ever have.

Statistical analist for psychological tests, making sure the created tests were reliable, I miss it already (was about 3 months ago now since I left).

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

Security, worst sh*t in the world.

• Daz likes this

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Cashier at a pizza joint my brother had a management position at. It payed more than I'm getting at my current job.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:50 PM Edited by lil weasel, 21 June 2014 - 11:31 PM.

Soda Fountain/Clerk in a Pharmacy. (1$US per hour).

Security, worst sh*t in the world.

My third job. Best ever, of course it depends on where.
Mine were Midnight to 0800. Empty Factories, and the famous Undercliff Sanitarium. You couldn't tell the staff from the patients ;)
without the ID badge. Seems everyone of the staff had a relative committed to some institution, they were always talking about it.
Always quiet on that shift.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

As an actual proper job, I worked tech support for the university one summer. Before that, I've done some research that I was payed for, but that was more of a stipend than sallary.

• Tyler likes this

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2015
    Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

It's not a actual proper job, but sometimes I'd have to hand out leaflets/flyers at sports/campaigning events for my uncle since he's involved with politicians.

Tyler
  • Tyler

fire season

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

The first job I got was with my cousins in Texas during the summer where I'd help out around their ranch. They set up a full place for me and I helped raise the kennel of dobermans and cleaned out the barn and stables. It was nothing official-- I'd only get money here and there but in exchange I was staying there for free and enjoying a pretty nice set-up.

The first place where I was actually employed and on the books was with a research group about an hour from the city I was living in. The lab work was somewhat distant from me but I enjoyed the work I did do and working for them felt all right. For the most part I just maintained crop nurseries and made sure pollination between every single crop was exact. Lots of sunlight and flatland for most of the day. I enjoyed that job quite a bit.

A Northern German
  • A Northern German

Ŗ

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

I delivered newspapers in my suburb when I was 16.
  • Melech likes this

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

In my senior year I got a paid internship, wiping and re-imaging computers for a local bank. It was a sweet gig; the pay and ten dollars an hour and all I had to do was press a few keys and sit around. Plus I practically lived right behind it.

Melech
  • Melech

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

I have never had a job. Only studying, to get a good and well-paid job.

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

Last year I had my first job at a deli which I only stayed at for a week. A few months later I started working at Subway. I've been here for about 6 months now. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

Liquor Store Cashier, Still doing it today.

RandallFlagg00
  • RandallFlagg00

Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

I tore tickets at a movie theatre when I was 15. Eventually I moved to concessions. I got so sick of the smell of popcorn I still hate it today.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Moonraker.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

Worked as a kitchen porter at a Bengali restaurant, had some pretty funny experiences, though the work was pretty sh*t.

elhazardvalve4738
  • elhazardvalve4738

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

working at a fast food joint. Terrible job...

Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

well you got the perfect disguise and you're looking okay

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

Haven't worked a real job yet as I'm only going into my third year of high school, but I hope to get a job doing something interesting like working at a phone store or maybe walking dogs if I could find people in my neighborhood to do it for. Or I'll just work at McDonalds and spit in the food of every fat asshole who decides to get angry at the cashier.

Black Terminator
  • Black Terminator

Black Widow

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

My first job was working at a car wash which was freaking cool since I got to wash, dry and get some cold water bottle drinks in case I got over heated. 

Plank.
  • Plank.

Resident NEET

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

My first "job" was selling Rainbow vacuum cleaners.

Don't get me wrong. They are good vacuum cleaners, but having to sell at least ten a week at $2800 a pop was out of my grasp. Not the best job for someone as anti-social as me.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

Worked as a lifeguard for three or four years, from 16 to 20. Apart from being mildly boring and the hours being somewhat unsociable sometimes (5am openings on Saturday and certain weekdays) it was pretty good as first jobs go, and paid well.
  • Melech likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users